Repeat drunken driver sentenced in fa...

Repeat drunken driver sentenced in fatal crash

There are 10 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 11, 2009, titled Repeat drunken driver sentenced in fatal crash. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A repeat drunken driver is sentenced to 18 years in prison for a crash that killed a Jefferson, Wis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Sure am glad

Hopkins, MN

#1 Mar 11, 2009
that she got that many "second chances" at trying to kill someone...Let's face it, that is what we are giving these people...second chances to kill someone...not to get thier life in order....Our society needs to get tougher on DUI's...1st one?..felony and go from there...That's the way Canada does it...and it works for them....

“Don't Say Like Dat”

Since: May 08

Jerusalem

#2 Mar 11, 2009
this is sad addictions are real problems but on the lighter side as i like to keep it

18 years plenty of time to sober up and take in some meetings and find that higher power that the program talks about
and please always remember above all

"YOU CANN'T TELL THE PLAYERS WITHOUT A PROGRAM"
one other thing your higher power dont let it be a light bulb they burn out
white city girl

Eden Prairie, MN

#3 Mar 11, 2009
Thats great! I was hit by a drunk driver back in 1996, he had 8 other drunk driving charges from counties all around the metro. He was setenced to 1 year in the county jail. I was out of work for seven months and my car was totaled. The fd up part is I still from time to time see the guy out drinking and driving.
Gumby

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Mar 11, 2009
First time DUI usually gets a sentence of 30 days, with 28 stayed (only 2 days in jail). We need to take this more seriously. First time should be at least a 6 month sentence (much more if you hit and injure someone), plus loss of license for at least a year. Second time, license gone forever.
What

Hopkins, MN

#5 Mar 11, 2009
18 years. Seriously? Makes me wonder how the defending attorney can sleep at night asking for 5 years. Someone DIED. This person, while it may be an addiction, has to pay for the actions. While 5 years is not a slap on the wrist, it certainly does not match the crime. This woman on her 3rd DUI which turned fatal for an innocent bystander should be put away for the rest of her life. People have to be held accountable for their actions and stop placing blame on everything and everyone else but themselves!

420 DuDe

Since: Feb 08

ST.Paul, MN

#6 Mar 11, 2009
What wrote:
18 years. Seriously? Makes me wonder how the defending attorney can sleep at night asking for 5 years. Someone DIED. This person, while it may be an addiction, has to pay for the actions. While 5 years is not a slap on the wrist, it certainly does not match the crime. This woman on her 3rd DUI which turned fatal for an innocent bystander should be put away for the rest of her life. People have to be held accountable for their actions and stop placing blame on everything and everyone else but themselves!
I agree 100 % Very smart comment!! It's commen sense that gets overlooked !!

Peace '09
ISRW

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Mar 16, 2009
We can bump the sentences as much as we want -- it doesn't deter drunks from making horrible decisions.

The thing to do is prevent them from being able to drive in practical ways. Create strict barriers to getting behind the wheel with alcohol on your breath after even a single offense. Get caught once, you face a lifetime of huge (and costly) obstacles to driving at all. There must be technologies like the breathalyzer ignition switches to make that happen.

(Drunk driving goes to our whole transportation model, though. I knew some people in London who drank a ton, a scary amount -- and took the tube home. No thought of driving. I don't know what the rates are, but DWI-type offenses didn't seem that prevalent there. There were other options.)
Ruth

Fargo, ND

#13 Mar 16, 2009
hamboner911 wrote:
this is sad addictions are real problems but on the lighter side as i like to keep it
18 years plenty of time to sober up and take in some meetings and find that higher power that the program talks about
and please always remember above all
"YOU CANN'T TELL THE PLAYERS WITHOUT A PROGRAM"
one other thing your higher power dont let it be a light bulb they burn out
Drinking may be an addiction, but since when is getting behind the wheel drunk an addiction. Call a f*cking cab and no one would be dead! This person deserves a lot more than 18 years!!

“I'm a FEMALE Nascar Fan!”

Since: Apr 07

Morristown, TN

#14 Mar 16, 2009
It seems that they never do anything to a drunk driver until they've killed someone else.
Why

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 16, 2009
did Kathleen Soliah only get seven years in prison for killing a woman, killing an unborn baby and attempting to murder cops and this woman with an addiction problem get 18 years?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police officers go on stage with Boys and Girls... Jun 13 June 1
Cruz & Kasich Plan Huge Cuts to S.S. & Medicare Mar '16 so you know 1
Police raid Feb '16 Lisa 1
Transmission physician inc. (Dec '13) Dec '13 Amburg 1
News PluggedSolar Can Make Electric Vehicles - Tesla... (Jun '13) Jun '13 chris lee 2
Illegal Aliens (Apr '13) Apr '13 XMAN 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Jefferson, WI (Jan '12) Jan '12 Kelly 1

Jefferson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jefferson Mortgages