Man hit by car in Newport News dies

Man hit by car in Newport News dies

There are 17 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 17, 2007, titled Man hit by car in Newport News dies. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

A Newport News man hit by a car on Jefferson Avenue on Friday afternoon has died, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Red means stop

Newport News, VA

#1 Nov 17, 2007
Its pretty simple. Yellow means the light is about to turn red. Red means STOP!!!!! In NN its a $166 ticket. I just learned that if you cut through a Gas Station to get around a Red light.......... Its $266. Maybe Red Light Runners should get the Civil Remedial Fee $1050 just like going 20 MPH over the limt.
WHY

Gloucester, VA

#2 Nov 17, 2007
Red means stop wrote:
Its pretty simple. Yellow means the light is about to turn red. Red means STOP!!!!! In NN its a $166 ticket. I just learned that if you cut through a Gas Station to get around a Red light.......... Its $266. Maybe Red Light Runners should get the Civil Remedial Fee $1050 just like going 20 MPH over the limt.
Stop tripping..... Someone has died money is not the issue!
Red means stop

Newport News, VA

#3 Nov 17, 2007
WHY wrote:
<quoted text> Stop tripping..... Someone has died money is not the issue!
Ummm the red light story has nothing to do with the fatality. Read before you jum on me, I hve no comment on the Auto/Pedetrian accident
Traffic Nazi

Newport News, VA

#4 Nov 17, 2007
WHY wrote:
<quoted text> Stop tripping..... Someone has died money is not the issue!
Money is always the issue. I think he was qouteing the red light part of the story. If red light tickets were a thousand dollars, we wouldn't see many people running them.
HAHHA

Norfolk, VA

#5 Nov 18, 2007
I saw the flipped over suv. I was about 20 feet from it driving today. Amazing! Like something out of a movie :).
Full Prosecution

Hampton, VA

#6 Nov 18, 2007
I'm for $1,000 red light running and cell phone driving fines.
I'm more in fear of dying from one of the above (24-7) than a drunk driver (mostly late night).
I know someone who was killed by a daytime red light runner but don'y know anyone killed by a drunk driver.
Time to start chasing all potential road killers equally.
It's not an accident. It's a "screw everyone else, I'm too important to stop". It's premeditated murder.
Bob

United States

#7 Nov 18, 2007
A month ago,I saw this teenage girl run a red light that was red for at least 2 seconds,while she was on her cellphone. Then to top it all off when traffic blew the horns at her ,she flipped them off. This is whats out there on the roads people.
stop the madness

United States

#8 Nov 18, 2007
there should be severe penalties for cell phone usage while driving,ive seen cars with 4 people in it all on cell phones cant talk to the person beside you?Ive seen cars a hundred feet from the light when it turns and still go through.Wait aleast 3 seconds at a light before you gois my advice you jump you might get hit.
Who Cares

United States

#9 Nov 18, 2007
A Newport News man hit by a car on Jefferson Avenue on Friday afternoon has died, police said.

The man, in his mid-40's, was struck by a four-door Pontiac sedan while attempting (JAY WALKING)to cross Jefferson north of Main Street about 3:30 p.m.
The man, who is believed to be homeless, has not yet been positively identified and his family has not been notified.

No charges have been filed against the driver of the car, and no one else was injured in the accident.

$5000.00 FINES SHOULD BE IMPOSED ON ALL JAY-WALKERS.

As a commercial driver, I am on the city streets 8-10 hours a day. I see mothers with small children jay-walking across Mercury Blvd. almost get hit and cause drivers to slam on their brakes to avoid them. Large trucks sometimes fish tail and almost jack-knife trying to avoid pedestrians.
This happens on Jefferson, Warwick, Pembroke and most other major roads.

Light runners are also an issue and cell phone talkers are worst, but look at the story.

JAY-WALKING KILLED THIS PERSON.
stop the madness

United States

#10 Nov 18, 2007
I tend to agree jaywalking is a huge issue i have come very close several times to hiting someone jaywalking they just walk out like they own the road.The sad part is the kids see this as ok by watching momma or her current boyfriend and are much more likely to get hit because there smaller and do not know the danger they are putting themselves into.I know local law enforcement is already strained to the breaking point but some enforcement on this would be greatly appreciated.
Witness to the accident

Newport News, VA

#11 Mar 23, 2009
I was in the opposite lanes that afternoon and the accident occurred because the man was being chased by mall security after stealing merchandise. He decided to flee the scene through traffic to avoid being caught stealing. He failed to make it all the way across the road. End of story. The driver was not at fault.
Snerdley

United States

#12 Mar 23, 2009
Who Cares wrote:
JAY-WALKING KILLED THIS PERSON.
I agree. In Hampton, the welfare leeches are always walking all over the place around Lincoln Park even though the city put crosswalk signals at the intersection of Pembroke and Lasalle. They act like the RR crossing (or anywhere near it) is a crosswalk as well.

“The opposite of Progress ”

Since: Nov 08

is Congress

#13 Mar 23, 2009
Running stoplights is not always enforced. I saw a car run a red light with three HPD cars at the intersection. None responded.
heather

Newport News, VA

#14 Mar 27, 2009
well most people walk even though they could possibly be good drivers except our stupid dmv put the most rediculous questions on the test like this....
how many kidneas (or however you spell it)
are donated in a year.
really now!!!!
do i need this information to know ho wto drive???
seriously yea organ doners can know it but not knowledge to drive!!! our dmv's are completely stupid,
so may be if they wernt stupid the guy that died like every other person dies maybe he would of been able to drive and been a good driver at that, but we wont know now will we
heather

Newport News, VA

#15 Mar 27, 2009
yal keep saying i saw this person run a light and blah blah,
hello almost every person has run a red light cuz their ignorant,
everyone will at least see 100 people run a red light in their lifetime
FUBAR

Poquoson, VA

#17 Mar 27, 2009
Young Black Male Car Jacker.......
Bill McCall

Meadows, Australia

#18 Apr 2, 2009
Hello everyone! My Name is Bill McCall and I am looking for an old associate named James (Jim) Glerum with whom I did some service in China.
Jim worked for Civil Air Transport a CIA owned airline out there.
I have just been doing some research on my history in the region and Jim's name came up regarding an award he accepted for another guy which was presented by the French Ambassador to Washington DC.
I'd like to say hello to Jim again before I pass on !!!! Anyone knows him tell him email me at wmccall@aapt.net.au I am in Australia
Thanks, you lovely Virginians

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
USA government condemn murdered innocent women Mar '18 Bernice Cooper 2
White House press secretary has to lay low on c... Mar '18 Bernice Cooper 2
Election Who do you support for Member House of Represen... (Oct '10) Nov '10 RLB 3
News Newport News police crack down on traffic (Apr '08) Dec '08 Oh NO 47
News Newport News projects postponed (Nov '08) Nov '08 Lee Hall 2
News Campaign reminds motorists red means stop (Aug '08) Aug '08 Kens Comment 1
News Bidding process restart means cameras to catch ... (Jul '08) Jul '08 Retired 2

Jefferson Jobs

Personal Finance

Jefferson Mortgages