200 jobs coming to Smiths Aerospace

Manufacturing is far from dying in Buncombe County. Just ask Dale Collins of Smiths Aerospace in Asheville. Read more
Athame9999

Asheville, NC

#1 Mar 13, 2007
Ha. My husband used to work for Smith's It has the WORST reputation in the state as far as machine shops go....poor/unsafe working conditions, low worker morale and a definite class distinction between the blue collar and white collar workers. They have an incredible job turnover rate and that's pretty bad in an area where people NEED jobs.

If you like working 70 hour mandatory work weeks with no weekends off for months while the management spends that time going company sponsored fishing trips, then go to Smith's. Oh yeah...and don't forget that you are NOT allowed to go to the doctor, take your child to the emergency room or make any other necessary appointments. If you do, you'll be given a warning and that will affect your performance rating.

Don't say I didn't warn you...
Doubter

Charleston, SC

#2 Mar 13, 2007
Industry is, for the most part, dead in Buncombe county. You get the occasional job shop like this that still hangs around but the skyrocketing housing costs coupled with the traditionally low pay in the area are driving any skilled labor an hour south to Greenville/Spartenburg. You can literally make twice as much and the housing is VERY affordable.
The Joe

Greensboro, NC

#3 Mar 13, 2007
It's good to see skilled job creation in the area, however the comments made by "Athame9999" are deeply concerning. I suppose this company will somehow need to manage it's employee relations if it hopes to stay competitive. "Doubter" also brings up an important topic in the housing costs. The housing costs are skyrocketing and will continue to drive the blue-collar folk further away from the city. However, the Greenville-Spartanburg area probably won't be far behind. A lot of people can tolerate 1-hour commutes, and many of the professional northerners who have/are moving down are used to sitting in traffic for 1-2 hours, so to be able to actually drive at highway speed to get to Asheville from Spartanburg might be right up their alley.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christ... (Jun '09) 7 hr Niomi 56
Raleigh Police officer James Rollins (Sep '11) 9 hr Pennyless 5
Thompson Orphanage (Jan '11) 15 hr Denise Blalock Mc... 18
Are Southerners Stupid or do they just sound th... (Oct '08) 19 hr Van Halen 4,796
Ralegh City of Slobs 19 hr Raleigh 6
Anyone want to hang out Nude? (Nov '11) Thu Geordiegayboy 28
dog food (Jun '14) Mar 25 nyc2nc 12
Jefferson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jefferson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]