Glendon fails her values, her Church

Glendon fails her values, her Church

There are 139 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from May 4, 2009, titled Glendon fails her values, her Church. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Mary Ann Glendon's decision to reject Notre Dame's Laetare Medal for distinguished service to the Catholic community is more than disappointing for those of us who have admired her academic work and service as a Catholic lay leader.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
RJD

Berne, NY

#1 May 4, 2009
You have no idea what values are or to have values. Stay in jefferson Mr. O'brien or better yet look up the word values and write the definition 50 times! Lack of values can be found in Kennedy, Kerry, Olver and Frank - understand that first.
Prove me wrong

Latham, NY

#2 May 4, 2009
There is no such place as Jefferson, MA.
Property of Benedict XVI

Huntington, MA

#3 May 4, 2009
President Obama remains a firm supporter of abortion rights no matter how he might try to pretend otherwise. Ms. Glendon felt she was being "used" by Notre Dame to balance out their giving an honor to a prominent abortion supporter, so she declined to accept.
Jeffrey Reel

Stamford, CT

#4 May 4, 2009
Property of Benedict XVI wrote:
President Obama remains a firm supporter of abortion rights no matter how he might try to pretend otherwise. Ms. Glendon felt she was being "used" by Notre Dame to balance out their giving an honor to a prominent abortion supporter, so she declined to accept.
Obama has never pretended to not support abortion rights, ever.
Jeffrey Reel

Stamford, CT

#5 May 4, 2009
Prove me wrong wrote:
There is no such place as Jefferson, MA.
Jefferson, Massachusetts, is located in Worcestor County, just north of Route 122A. Do your homework.
Religion Kills

United States

#6 May 4, 2009
It is nice to see such a supportive voice from a practicing catholic. I hear this so often..we use contraceptives, we believe in the immorality of abortion but the absolute right of choice. We believe our leadership were criminals in shuffling abusive priests.

Good voices to hear from the laity....too bad they are not willing to go the whole mile and reject the church leaderships' role in controlling the rest of their lives.

For if they tithe, they fund the hate machine.
Prove me wrong

Albany, NY

#7 May 4, 2009
Jeffrey Reel wrote:
<quoted text>
Jefferson, Massachusetts, is located in Worcestor County, just north of Route 122A. Do your homework.
Let's try "Holden, Mass".

“A person is a person no matter”

Since: Sep 07

how small.

#8 May 4, 2009
RJD wrote:
You have no idea what values are or to have values. Stay in jefferson Mr. O'brien or better yet look up the word values and write the definition 50 times! Lack of values can be found in Kennedy, Kerry, Olver and Frank - understand that first.
You are right, if they can't value human life at the beginning, how can we expect them to value life at anytime there after. Its a tragedy that 50 million children have been killed in this bloody slaughter of innocent children in the 36 years that child killing has been legal. I am very proud of Mary Glendon for standing up and making such a bold statement, for these childrens value to society.
Mike Rachiele

Redmond, WA

#9 May 4, 2009
Anyone who says Glendon failed her Church just doesn't know what the Chuch teaches. She is 100% correct and abides by Church teaching. Any attempt to say otherwise is misrepresentative of the truth. It's Cathollics like Mr, O'Brien, who voted for Obama that allowed him to become President. Because of Catholics who didn't vote their faith, President Obama is now using our money to fund abortion overseas. Is that how he goes about 'reducing abortion?" Mr. "Great Unifier of all people" fails to recognize the rights of all people. He fails to protect the right to life of the unborn. And as Father Frank Pavone has said, If he/she can't protect the life of the unborn, he/she is unfit for office." He pointed out that if a terrorist ran for office, nobody would vote for him because of this. So why is abortion any different? If you support abortion, you must be disualified. Any attempt to justify abortion and/or contraception use comes from the Devil. The Devil is the one who created the term "pro-choice." Its his deceptive attempt to convince Americans that abortion is a "choice" instead of the fact that its a killing. The child in the womb belongs to God! It's not "part of the woman's body which she has domain of. God said, "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you).
Bored

East Otis, MA

#10 May 4, 2009
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>You are right, if they can't value human life at the beginning, how can we expect them to value life at anytime there after. Its a tragedy that 50 million children have been killed in this bloody slaughter of innocent children in the 36 years that child killing has been legal. I am very proud of Mary Glendon for standing up and making such a bold statement, for these childrens value to society.
Where and by whom have any children been killed? Who made it legal to kill children,and can anybody do it?
Tricia

Rensselaer, NY

#11 May 4, 2009
Three cheers for Mary Glendon for standing up for what she believes in!!!
momoffive

Bronx, NY

#12 May 4, 2009
Mr. O'Brien. Have you been living under a rock?? With less than sixty days in office Mr. Obama has quickly "undone" much that was done by previous administrations to limit abortions and at a minimum REQUIRE medical provides to be required to perform them against their will. Mexico City Policy and now Conscience Exemption. Mr. Obama is NOT pro-choice he is Pro-Abortion which is Anti-Life. No choice about it.
momoffive

Bronx, NY

#13 May 4, 2009
Religion Kills wrote:
It is nice to see such a supportive voice from a practicing catholic. I hear this so often..we use contraceptives, we believe in the immorality of abortion but the absolute right of choice. We believe our leadership were criminals in shuffling abusive priests.
Good voices to hear from the laity....too bad they are not willing to go the whole mile and reject the church leaderships' role in controlling the rest of their lives.
For if they tithe, they fund the hate machine.

To err is human, to forgive devine -- Pope,(1688-1744)
Orwell

Romeo, MI

#14 May 4, 2009
As a Catholic, I say "Bravo !" to David J. O"Brian. My thoughts exactly concerning Mary Ann Glendon. Let her who is without sin cast the first stone !
Jeffrey Reel

Stamford, CT

#15 May 4, 2009
Prove me wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try "Holden, Mass".
No, Jefferson. ZIP: 01522. latitude 42.364... longitude:-71.881.

Holden is ZIP 01520

Do your homework. This is not rocket science.
Orwell

Romeo, MI

#16 May 4, 2009
I would like the opinion of Mary Ann Glendon concerning pedophile priests and the bishops who transferred them to other parishes where the sexual abuse continued. I would like her suggestions as to how this should have been taken care of. We simply are not being fair about this. As a former Catholic school student as well as a Catholic college graduate, it grieves me to say this.
Tricia

Rensselaer, NY

#17 May 4, 2009
Orwell wrote:
I would like the opinion of Mary Ann Glendon concerning pedophile priests and the bishops who transferred them to other parishes where the sexual abuse continued. I would like her suggestions as to how this should have been taken care of. We simply are not being fair about this. As a former Catholic school student as well as a Catholic college graduate, it grieves me to say this.
Oh please. The pedophile priest issue is completely separate and apart from abortion. Nobody in their right mind is for what happened with the pedophile priests abusing the young. Again, what does that have to do with abortion?
Prove me wrong

Albany, NY

#18 May 4, 2009
Jeffrey Reel wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Jefferson. ZIP: 01522. latitude 42.364... longitude:-71.881.
Holden is ZIP 01520
Do your homework. This is not rocket science.
Just because it has a zip code does not make it a town. Just consider "Berkshire, MA".
Prove me wrong

Albany, NY

#19 May 4, 2009
I can see why he wouldn't say he's from Holden though. He'll be forever associated with the saying "Dave hurts from Holden".
(Bah dump bump.)
Orwell

Romeo, MI

#20 May 4, 2009
Tricia, I am sure that you are a good Catholic,however, I respectfully, disagree with you. My advice to the complaining bishops is "Judge not, lest thou be judged." Pax Vobiscum, Tricia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is my ex son in law off limits sexually? EX. (Feb '11) Oct 11 Mehe 184
sexless marriage advice (Jan '12) Oct 11 Mehe 110
News Election Datebook Oct 5 Mayor Lynch 1
MTEL Tutoring (Feb '11) Oct 4 meg2003 9
News Republican Sossa-Paquette to challenge McGovern... Sep 21 family guy reference 2
Dan Kirouac at the Canal Restaurant Sep '17 New England Music... 1
News Webster seeks probe of emails alleging police b... Sep '17 Not that crazy 2

Jefferson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jefferson Mortgages