youth football in Jefferson County

Posted in the Jefferson City Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
missin it

Morristown, TN

#1 Sep 15, 2010
Is there any good teams in Jefferson Co. to get my son to play for next year? All I have heard is bad about the local football in the English Mountain Conference. Any suggestions?
ballcoach

United States

#2 Sep 15, 2010
Its depends on who u talk to. There is so much competition in jeff co. at the youth level. My kids have played for the talbott titans for 4 years. They are like any team they have their issues. The Dandridge Broncos and Jefferson City Patriots have good teams as well. It doesnt matter who u play for, the number one goal is winning.
mountain man

Morristown, TN

#3 Sep 15, 2010
I have a friend whos boy played for Talbott and I have heard nothing but bad from him and several others whos kids played for Talbott. I have heard that the coaches, some, not all are not fair with play time. Even when it is their second or third year playing. I hear that Jeff. City is pretty good. It really just depends on the coaches. Good Luck.
Wrong

Morristown, TN

#4 Sep 17, 2010
"the number one goal is winning"

That's the main problem with youth football in general..

And yes, there are plenty of bad opinions on Talbott..
Titian Momma

Morristown, TN

#5 Oct 18, 2010
All the teams are very competitive, every team seems 2 have their picks unless there isn't enuff kids 2 choose from. Granted, there has been some stress within this league, but it's no more than any of the others. There are theives in every league in EMC. It's our duty as responsible parents 2 make sure that everything is ran in decency and order, and even though some have bad opinions on Talbott that's because they are on the outside lookin in, or, they automaticly think their child is gonna be an instant star. come on ppl. These kids are ages 5-11. And if i had 2 choose, i would choose the grasscutter coach. And i have a pee-wee. Coach Craig and his Wife seem 2 have a honest care 4 the kids.
bitterwaitress

Morristown, TN

#6 Oct 25, 2010
hah! My husband coached for titans a year or so ago. Did you notice that none of the pee-wee coaches came back? And My children all played for titans..starting in 04 till last year. They will not play for them again. Its all about who you know if your kids gets playing time in jefferson city and talbott..That is whats wrong with this. Its supposed to be about kids learing and having fun. not about who plays more..I see parents get more upset then the children do...Most of the parents and coaches are living throught the children which makes it a horrible thing!
Ups and Downs

Morristown, TN

#7 Nov 1, 2010
Any program has it's good and bad points. Some of the smaller teams are at a disadvantage simple because of the number of kids on the team. It's hard to compete with teams that sign 30 kids when the smaller teams only sign 15. Usually the teams with larger numbers are the more dominate teams(Dandridge & jefferson city)however It limits playing time for less talented kids. On the smaller teams your child is more likely to play but generally those teams are less successful. Generally on larger teams most kids will not play until the last year of thier age group unless they are extremely talented. On smaller teams agian they may always play but be on the losing end. I think its the same for the coaches. Most coaches are parents and so most of the larger teams have better coaches simple because there is a bigger pool of parents to select from this is generally the case but there are exceptions. If you want you child coached well and be on a great team then go to Dandridge or Jefferson City( the closest one to your home). If you are more concerned with playing time then go to one of the smaller teams.
rota-songa-bouti t

Dandridge, TN

#8 Nov 26, 2010
Youth or adult football is different than any other sport.Yes certain coaches will give their own kid playing time <this will never be corrected.It has never been about teaching/learning with the kids.It has only been about winning.Your kid or mine is going to stay (for the most part) in the role that they have now.What I mean is ...If he is the 5th strongest and 5th fastest then that is what he will remain until High School.Once in HS a DEDICATED player can improve is stock with a concerted effort in the weight room and also working on his speed.This will demand a dedicated approach! But it can be done.I have seen sophmores start ahead of juniors and seniors on the varsity squad.Specificaly a Big Lineman should be able to Bench press 400 lbs at graduation,A small (less than 200lb player) should be able to bench 340/360 at graduation.This cannot be achieved in the spring prior to their final season.It must start about the end of the freshman season.YOUNG PLAYERS if you love football and want to be a HIgh School star then take these words to heart!!!! Peace
JC Mom

United States

#9 Dec 6, 2010
hahaha! Coach Craig is worthless! He treats all the other kids like crap and only wants to make sure his kid plays... He doesn't know how to coach and he tries to act like he's a Christian but he beats his wife and according to his wife is running prositution through his new cab company! My kids will never play for Titans again- all that money got stoen and blamed on 2 people, but what about the othe board members? There's no way only 2 people were to blame for that! Randy +ganer is also a low-life piece of scum that starved a 9 yr old and dehydrated him to be able to weigh in! Where was the kids parents during this? If you want your kids to have a good experience, NEVER let them play for the Talbott Titans!
volfan

United States

#10 Dec 6, 2010
JC Mom wrote:
hahaha! Coach Craig is worthless! He treats all the other kids like crap and only wants to make sure his kid plays... He doesn't know how to coach and he tries to act like he's a Christian but he beats his wife and according to his wife is running prositution through his new cab company! My kids will never play for Titans again- all that money got stoen and blamed on 2 people, but what about the othe board members? There's no way only 2 people were to blame for that! Randy +ganer is also a low-life piece of scum that starved a 9 yr old and dehydrated him to be able to weigh in! Where was the kids parents during this? If you want your kids to have a good experience, NEVER let them play for the Talbott Titans!
I am involved with the titans, please get your facts right before posting such ridiculous remarks. There are kids that have played for the titans for 5 yrs. or more and wouldnt play for anybody else. There are problems with all teams in all sports no one is perfect. The titans are in the best shape they have ever been in, financially and leadership wise. Its fine to let your kids play for another team but to say things to down another are just plain wrong.
JC Mom

United States

#11 Dec 6, 2010
when it's true, it's true!
Um Um Um

Morristown, TN

#12 Dec 17, 2010
JC Mom wrote:
when it's true, it's true!
You are exactly right and you need people involved with kids, that respect how they act in the presence of them!!! The truth do hurt!!!! Right now I could hurt a couple of people, but the truth will come to the light eventually!!!
OrangeNWhite

Lebanon, TN

#13 Dec 21, 2010
FACT: Titans don't care about the kids or would not refuse children to play and cheer b/c of personal issues....
FACT: Board members only care about their selves....
FACT: It's all about the $ or they wouldn't refuse children their trophy at the END of the season after playing their hardest all season.....
If they are in the best financial shape then they ever have been in, then why charge players and parents to walk in to banquet? and When parent dont have $ to get in refuse the child their trophy????
volfan wrote:
<quoted text>I am involved with the titans, please get your facts right before posting such ridiculous remarks. There are kids that have played for the titans for 5 yrs. or more and wouldnt play for anybody else. There are problems with all teams in all sports no one is perfect. The titans are in the best shape they have ever been in, financially and leadership wise. Its fine to let your kids play for another team but to say things to down another are just plain wrong.
NEW TITAN

Jonesborough, TN

#14 Apr 15, 2011
I WOULD LIKE THE PPLE WHO COMMENT SO HARSHLY ABOUT LITTLIE LEAGUE FOOTBALL TO ASK THERE SELF 1 QUESTION ..."WHAT HAVE I DONE TO HELP" it is easy to make annonymus comments about pple when they cant defend themselves....does that really help the kids any? y not go into the community and share some of the perfection that you seem to have those coaches and kids work hard in hopes that adults will support them ...how would your children feel if they new thier parent were bashing their team and coaches behind thier backs ....1 word coward!
Coward

Kingsport, TN

#15 Apr 16, 2011
NEW TITAN wrote:
I WOULD LIKE THE PPLE WHO COMMENT SO HARSHLY ABOUT LITTLIE LEAGUE FOOTBALL TO ASK THERE SELF 1 QUESTION ..."WHAT HAVE I DONE TO HELP" it is easy to make annonymus comments about pple when they cant defend themselves....does that really help the kids any? y not go into the community and share some of the perfection that you seem to have those coaches and kids work hard in hopes that adults will support them ...how would your children feel if they new thier parent were bashing their team and coaches behind thier backs ....1 word coward!
Where is your name posted on here? New Titan thats why I would hide my name too! If you are new then obviously you dont know what you walked into this year hun! The thing about the coach beating his wifes ass TRUE was in the newspaper! And the thing about them being Gog fearing Christians---WRONG AGAIN more like drug addicts! You must not have lived around here long enough to know better!
NotInformed

Kingsport, TN

#16 Apr 16, 2011
Ups and Downs wrote:
Any program has it's good and bad points. Some of the smaller teams are at a disadvantage simple because of the number of kids on the team. It's hard to compete with teams that sign 30 kids when the smaller teams only sign 15. Usually the teams with larger numbers are the more dominate teams(Dandridge & jefferson city)however It limits playing time for less talented kids. On the smaller teams your child is more likely to play but generally those teams are less successful. Generally on larger teams most kids will not play until the last year of thier age group unless they are extremely talented. On smaller teams agian they may always play but be on the losing end. I think its the same for the coaches. Most coaches are parents and so most of the larger teams have better coaches simple because there is a bigger pool of parents to select from this is generally the case but there are exceptions. If you want you child coached well and be on a great team then go to Dandridge or Jefferson City( the closest one to your home). If you are more concerned with playing time then go to one of the smaller teams.
My son played for Jefferson City a couple years ago when they won super bowl and he played every single game and No he was not the best player on the field nor the worst. He just proved he actually wanted to play instead of standing on the sidelines and crying scared to get hit. And yes some of the kids do that! What makes it worse is when parents think their kids are the best (I think that too) and they really are not and the parent screams at the coaches, and dont do anything but cause trouble,well that is why your kid will get benched. The parents do more harm than good in most cases.
IfYouLoveFootbal l

Kingsport, TN

#17 Apr 16, 2011
missin it wrote:
Is there any good teams in Jefferson Co. to get my son to play for next year? All I have heard is bad about the local football in the English Mountain Conference. Any suggestions?
Go sign up with Jefferson City Patriots. They are the best team when it comes to caring for the kids! All kids are treated equal with the coaches.
Dooley

Kingsport, TN

#18 May 3, 2011
The Talbott Titans have new coaches and are in the best shape they have been in ever. There is new leadership and some darn good coaches with great resumes in football and coaching. Ask any of the kids and parents involved with Spring Practice '11 and I am confident they will have positive things to say... and from being around the teams I can say these coaches care about the kids AS MUCH AS ANYONE POSSIBLY COULD and also get results. They won their Spring Games on every level and the kids were thrilled. So just maybe we should leave the past in the past and give THE NEW GUYS a fair shake and judge them on THEIR MERIT and not OTHERS MISTAKES AND SHORTCOMINGS.
Dooley

Morristown, TN

#19 May 14, 2011
Actually they are playing for someone else, this year.
just to let people know

Morristown, TN

#20 May 16, 2011
Pop Warner football is now in the East Tennessee area, if you are interested, you can email them at [email protected] They are having signups thru June 11th at the Talley Ward Building in Morristown each Saturday from 10 to 2. You can also find them on facebook. This seems like it is going to be a good league to join, not only are they about winning they are about the academic level also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 2 hr Fullback and tackles 4,772
Tammy Jarnigan 11 hr No name is all 4
how stupid is total property management (Nov '12) 16 hr Just regular person 56
Jeremy Robbins (Sep '14) Wed Highjack 20
kfw wrestling returns this friday night!!! Sep 20 Gordon Solie 1
Local EMS/Ambulance service/Paramedics... (Mar '10) Sep 17 Kory 58
Neveragain Sep 17 New market 5

Jefferson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance