jeff City officer involded shooting

Posted in the Jefferson City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wondering

Waterloo, Canada

#1 Aug 6, 2010
Davenport confirmed to knox sentinel yesterday that a Jeff City officer shot someone. I can't find any other details. Anybody know what happened?
just thinking

Knoxville, TN

#2 Aug 6, 2010
I don't think Davenport would have any jurisdiction over a Jeff City officer, would he? He's the COUNTY sheriff.
who Dat

Knoxville, TN

#3 Aug 6, 2010
The Sheriff does has jurisdiction, it may bot be primary jurisdiction, but the he has jurisdiction inside Jeffeson City. There maybe other factors such as he may have been asked to investigate or there maybe an agreement between the Chief of Police and the Sheriff to assist or even take the lead in officer involved shootings.
If there are no agreements or he wasn't invited, it's rude, but not unlawful. It's good practice to have an outside agency investigate such a serious matter involving an officer. The TBI is involved at the request of one or both of the agencies as well.
What the public needs to hear is a statement from some official letting us know who is the lead investigating agency so media can direct their questions to the correct spokesperson. Right now, who is in charge, who do you ask?
Wow

Strawberry Plains, TN

#4 Aug 6, 2010
TBI is incharge of ALL officer involved shootings.
wondering

Waterloo, Canada

#5 Aug 6, 2010
Yes, the article stated that Davenport confirmed there was a JCPD officer involved shooting and the TBI was investigating. I'm curious as to what happened.....
joe

Morristown, TN

#6 Aug 7, 2010
who was the officer
Brett Michaels

Jefferson City, TN

#7 Aug 7, 2010
Probably one of these young paranoid cops!! Oh no wait, this is Jeff City, not the county or Dandridge. I'm sure whatever the reason it is a good one. Jeff City cops are the BEST in the county.
Dr Giggles

Wilmington, NC

#8 Aug 7, 2010
it was Officer O'Gradey Badge number 3482
Who Dat

Sevierville, TN

#9 Aug 7, 2010
Wow wrote:
TBI is incharge of ALL officer involved shootings.
Mr. Wow,

Your statement is wrong. The TBI is not in charge of all officer involved shootings. The TBI primary role is to ASSIST local law enforcement agencies when REQUESTED by the agency's Chief Executive Officer or by the District Attorney General's Office. It maybe the policy of the Jefferson City Police Department to request the TBI to assist or even take the primary lead which appears to be the case in this incident. Thus, professional courtesy calls for only the TBI to make public statements concerning the investigation. Mrs. Helms of the TBI has clearly assumed the role of public information officer.

State Law clearly defines the TBI's original jurisdiction and it does not include investigation of local law enforcement involved shootings. State Law does make it clear the TBI can assist upon request of the local agency or the district attorney. Think about it, when was the last time the TBI investigated a police involved shooting in Knox County or Knoxville?

Research before you open your mouth and prove your ignorance to all.

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/about_us/authoriy....

Brett Michaels

Jefferson City, TN

#10 Aug 8, 2010
Why did the kid get shot?? None of the news stations are saying anything. Did he jump out of the car with a gun? Or crack? I mean, it did happen in the projects.
just thinking

New Market, TN

#11 Aug 8, 2010
I heard that the officer was trying to make a traffic stop for some violation and he drove the car into the dead-end parking lot; when the officer got out of this car the boy tried to run him down and the officer fired a shot or two. It is my understanding that everything was within his jurisdiction of duty. According to the news, he's going to be o.k.
Brett Michaels

Jefferson City, TN

#12 Aug 8, 2010
A vehicle is considered a deadly weapon. There have been several times an officer has had to fire his weapon to stop someone from running them over. Legal, & i promise a last resort effort. I'm praying for the officer involved & his family. No cop ever want to have to pull his gun. It's good to know you can though if you have to.
OMG

United States

#13 Aug 9, 2010
Brett Michaels wrote:
A vehicle is considered a deadly weapon. There have been several times an officer has had to fire his weapon to stop someone from running them over. Legal, & i promise a last resort effort. I'm praying for the officer involved & his family. No cop ever want to have to pull his gun. It's good to know you can though if you have to.
Im shocked that you finally found something positive to say about a law enforcement officer....WOW!!!
Brett Michaels

Jefferson City, TN

#14 Aug 9, 2010
If it's one thing i respect, it's the law. I have an insiders appreciation.
Who Dat

New Market, TN

#15 Aug 10, 2010
Not only is a vehicle considered a deadly weapon, but in Tennessee there is no duty to retreat, that is run away, from an attacker(s). Some States it is a requirement to try and retreat before using force to defend yourself.

I pray for all involved in this incident from the suspect, officers involved, the public safety dispatchers, to the families. Use or even threat use of deadly force is not taken lightly by law enforcement officers.
Cribabie

United States

#16 Aug 10, 2010
I live in the pjs dat this happened in and the boy ran from the police and the shooting officer was named joe west the bot name was cody m. he got shot three time lung liver and abs he made it after ut saved his life. the officer shot 7 ronds in a dead end circle on hillview lane the boy flew around the cop and almost hit the boy but what is sad the cop is life long friend of the family. but thhe neighbor hood kids ages 4 to 17 was all playning outside.
wondering

Knoxville, TN

#17 Aug 10, 2010
I don't know either party involved, but apparently the boy didn't appreciate the life long friendship the family had with the officer. I believe if someone was coming at me with a car, I'd shoot too. The Standard Banner had a short piece about it. The relative, whoever, seems to think the cop was in the wrong. All sources say he will be fine. I heard that only one shot hit him and the rest were on the ground. I'm sure the officer felt that he was in danger. Then, think what might have happened if the car had run over the officer. The whole incident is unfortunate, and if the boy hadn't run from the officer, he wouldn't have been shot. Sort of makes you think somebody has something to hide if he runs, doesn't it?
Brett Michaels

Jefferson City, TN

#18 Aug 13, 2010
Wasn't the officer involved also arrested a couple years ago for domestic violence??
yes

Waterloo, Canada

#19 Aug 13, 2010
Joe West was charged with domestic violence and has attended anger management classes

“Save The USA!”

Since: Oct 08

Constitutional Republic?

#20 Sep 11, 2010
Is there any update on this story? Just curious...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jefferson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ocean 14 min Just saying 4
eda, formally edoc is corrupt. period. 2 hr Jeremy Delle 15
Geraldine and Jimmy Spencer 10 hr Sad 2
The 2 dumb chics who was hiding the escapee (Nov '16) 10 hr Haha 14
biggest snitch in jefferson county (Jul '11) 10 hr Trifling 9
Bubba Cureton Thu Anders 1
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) Oct 18 guess ill change ... 4,955

Jefferson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance