Was it really a Coffin in that tree

Was it really a Coffin in that tree

Posted in the Jeanerette Forum

Granny

Crowley, LA

#1 Feb 18, 2010
Was that really a coffin in that tree on Hwy 182 near the Bayou between New Iberia and Jeanrette. When I was a little girl, we would travel along Hwy 182 sometimes and was told it was a coffin, but now that I'm older, and I asked my father and he said he heard that to and that it may be a tank for when they had to prime the pumps for the fields
Tolbert

Fort Worth, TX

#2 Mar 27, 2016
I saw it several times in the early 1950s, and it sure looked like a coffin back then. It is certainly more fun for it to be a coffin. Tolbert
History lover337

New Iberia, LA

#3 Dec 11, 2017
Tolbert wrote:
I saw it several times in the early 1950s, and it sure looked like a coffin back then. It is certainly more fun for it to be a coffin. Tolbert
I wouldn't exactly call it fun.The coffin contained a run away slave.It was put there to discourage any other slaves from attempting to run away.I read about it in a book i got from the Iberia Parish library.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeanerette Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where to go shooting in New Iberia??? (Oct '12) 11 hr Citizen 3
Where to get “ candy at” Tue Backpain 1
Candy Tue Backpain 1
News ACLU: La. man writes critical e-mail of police ... (Apr '09) Mar '18 Cowgirl 46
New Iberia Jukebox (Jul '12) Feb '18 Musikologist 16
meth (Mar '17) Jan '18 informed 4
Lost dog Dec '17 Mledet9697 1

Jeanerette Jobs

Personal Finance

Jeanerette Mortgages