Fervent beliefs paved way for Ryan's Capitol Hill rise

There are 32 comments on the Boston Herald story from Aug 12, 2012, titled Fervent beliefs paved way for Ryan's Capitol Hill rise. In it, Boston Herald reports that:

U.S. Rep Paul Ryan, whose wife, Janna, is a tax attorney, was raised in Janesville, the son of a lawyer who died of a heart attack when Ryan was a teen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#1 Aug 12, 2012
Obama has a five point lead. The country wants their govt benefits. Omama is their man.
God Is The Only Choice

Painesville, OH

#2 Aug 12, 2012
Paul Ryan is a good man, and I'd rather it be him running for president than Romney, but I'm voting their ticket. Obama's not MY man. Five points right now means nothing.
Demystifying liberal myth

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Aug 12, 2012
God Is The Only Choice wrote:
Paul Ryan is a good man, and I'd rather it be him running for president than Romney, but I'm voting their ticket. Obama's not MY man.
Planned Parenthood is apoplectic about the Ryan pick. All's right with the world.

http://paulryan.house.gov/news/documentsingle... -- Paul Ryan: The Cause of Life Can’t be Severed from the Cause of Freedom

"... Since the Court decided there was no “consensus” on when fetuses become human persons, it struck down abortion restrictions in all 50 states that thought they had reached a “consensus.” Only those already born “qualified” for protection. Moreover, the already born were empowered to deny, at will, the rights of persons still in the womb. The Court did not say that, given the lack of consensus, the matter ought to be left to the states. It did not choose to err on the side of caution, since human lives might be at stake. Nor did it choose not to rule on the matter. These options would seem to be rational courses in light of the Court’s stated agnosticism. Instead, the Court used the lack of consensus to justify prohibiting states from protecting the life of the unborn.

Like the Dred Scott decision, this opinion has wounded America and solved nothing. It has set good people on all sides against each other, fueled a culture war, split churches, soured politics, and greatly strained civil dialogue. A recent Gallup poll showed that 51 percent of Americans consider themselves pro-life, 42 percent are pro-choice, and 7 percent not sure.1

President Obama has done nothing to bridge the gap. During his campaign last year, he was asked when a “baby” has “human rights.” He answered by practically repeating the Supreme Court’s confused response:“[W]hether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity, you know, is above my pay grade.” God alone, he implied, knows whether babies are human beings!

... I cannot believe any official or citizen can still defend the notion that an unborn human being has no rights that an older person is bound to respect. I do know that we cannot go on forever feigning agnosticism about who is human. As Thomas Jefferson wrote,“The God who gave us life gave us liberty at the same time.” The freedom to choose is pointless for someone who does not have the freedom to live. So the right of “choice” of one human being cannot trump the right to “life” of another. How long can we sustain our commitment to freedom if we continue to deny the very foundation of freedom—life—for the most vulnerable human beings?

At the core, today’s “pro-choice” liberals are deeply pessimistic. They denigrate life and offer fear of the present and the future—fear of too many choices and too many children. Rather than seeing children and human beings as a benefit, the “pro-choice” position implies that they are a burden. Despite the “pro-choice” label, liberals’ stance on this subject actually diminishes choices, lowers goals, and leads us to live with less. That includes reducing the number of human beings who can make choices.

In contrast, pro-life conservatives are natural optimists. On balance, we see human beings as assets, not liabilities. All conservatives should find it easy to agree that government must uphold every person’s right to make choices regarding their lives and that every person’s right to live must be secured before he or she can exercise that right of choice. In the state of nature—the “law of the jungle”—the determination of who “qualifies” as a human being is left to private individuals or chosen groups. In a justly organized community, however, government exists to secure the right to life and the other human rights that follow from that primary right.

Conservatives can bridge the gap on issues of life and choice by building on the solid rock of natural rights, which belong, not just to some, but to all human beings.
God Is The Only Choice

Painesville, OH

#4 Aug 12, 2012
Great post!
Ink

Morrisville, PA

#5 Aug 12, 2012
God Is The Only Choice wrote:
Great post!
I agree. I had forgotten that even the Great liberal president, Barak Obama admitted that only God knows when a baby has 'human rights' when asked about abortion. All the pro aborts seem to think they know. They must be smarter than Obama.
God Is The Only Choice

Painesville, OH

#6 Aug 12, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I had forgotten that even the Great liberal president, Barak Obama admitted that only God knows when a baby has 'human rights' when asked about abortion. All the pro aborts seem to think they know. They must be smarter than Obama.
I think most everyone is smarter!

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#7 Aug 12, 2012
Demystifying liberal myth wrote:
<quoted text>
Conservatives can bridge the gap on issues of life and choice by building on the solid rock of natural rights, which belong, not just to some, but to all human beings.
Natural rights is based on religious theory and there is nothing natural about it at all. Keep pushing theocracy, see what happens.

Minneapolis

#8 Aug 12, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you "think" you know? All you anti choice anti women religious nuts contradict yourself at every turn. Especially you.
Dane Thorsen

Long Beach, CA

#9 Aug 12, 2012
Tory II wrote:
Obama has a five point lead. The country wants their govt benefits. Omama is their man.
We will see. Many believe Americans are so consumed with self loathing that they might not get out the Vote to Stop Obama in November.

Minneapolis

#10 Aug 12, 2012
Quote:
His conservative credentials are considered impeccable. In describing his anti-abortion view, Ryan says Roe v. Wade “has wounded America and solved nothing.” The National Rifle Association has given him an “A” rating for his gun-control opposition.

LOL!!!

Good!!

When theocracy comes guns will be needed!

He is a typical right winger anti woman and pro gun.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

#11 Aug 12, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do you "think" you know? All you anti choice anti women religious nuts contradict yourself at every turn. Especially you.
As every human being extricated from the womb at any time during pregnancy struggles for continuance of life, it is obvious human life begins at conception. That's science, not religion.

Minneapolis

#12 Aug 12, 2012
Ryan states:
"The freedom to choose is pointless for someone who does not have the freedom to live."

His statement is silly at best.

The freedom to choose IS pointless if you do not have freedom to choose.

This guy should be easy to debate.
Ink

Morrisville, PA

#13 Aug 12, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if Obama is leaving it up to A Higher Power, then that Higher Power has made it clear.

Minneapolis

#14 Aug 12, 2012
Bringmedinner wrote:
<quoted text>
As every human being extricated from the womb at any time during pregnancy struggles for continuance of life, it is obvious human life begins at conception. That's science, not religion.
Really....then tell me at the moment of conception how can something struggle, not even a heartbeat till 9-10 weeks?

A woman in a catholic hospital that could die do to a pregnancy but could be saved will be left to struggle and die.

So what is your point?

“A person is a person no matter”

Since: Sep 07

how small.

#15 Aug 12, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
Ryan states:
"The freedom to choose is pointless for someone who does not have the freedom to live."
His statement is silly at best.
The freedom to choose IS pointless if you do not have freedom to choose.
This guy should be easy to debate.
Freedom to choose? As long as you are not Catholic and have a moral compass right?

Minneapolis

#16 Aug 13, 2012
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>Freedom to choose? As long as you are not Catholic and have a moral compass right?
"What" exactly...and I mean "exactly" do you NOT have a right to choose being catholic? Please, make yourself clear.

Minneapolis

#17 Aug 13, 2012
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if Obama is leaving it up to A Higher Power, then that Higher Power has made it clear.
What higher power? And...how has "it" made it clear?

Go slow Ink....think real hard about the number of miscarriages and other complications still borns etc....think Ink.

“A person is a person no matter”

Since: Sep 07

how small.

#18 Aug 13, 2012
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
"What" exactly...and I mean "exactly" do you NOT have a right to choose being catholic? Please, make yourself clear.
If obama and the dems have their way, Catholics won't have the choice to stand up against contraception, abortion, and euthanasia. The already are being forced to provide contraception even though they would choose not to, based on their religious belief. So exactly, what don't you understand?
Ocean56

AOL

#19 Aug 13, 2012
marysaidyes2life wrote:
If obama and the dems have their way, Catholics won't have the choice to stand up against contraception, abortion, and euthanasia. The already are being forced to provide contraception even though they would choose not to, based on their religious belief. So exactly, what don't you understand?
Oh PLEASE. The catholic fanatics in this country, yourself included, want to FORCE their toxic beliefs regarding sex and reproduction on all women by denying them contraception as well as abortion. They're just WHINING that they're not being allowed by law to do it. Tough.

The toxic catholic church has been pissing and moaning over their loss of control over women ever since the use of birth control became legal across the country. They really need to try and get past that.

Minneapolis

#20 Aug 13, 2012
marysaidyes2life wrote:
<quoted text>If obama and the dems have their way, Catholics won't have the choice to stand up against contraception, abortion, and euthanasia. The already are being forced to provide contraception even though they would choose not to, based on their religious belief. So exactly, what don't you understand?
The catholics do not have a right to discriminate against women and their healthcare. They do not have the right to discriminate PERIOD. If they cannot obey the law of the land then GTFO. This nonsense MUST stop. Give the CC an inch they will take a mile and find even more ways to discriminate against women. Don't even TRY to deny it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Janesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
new to town Mon jump steady 1
Kunes Country Used Cars Sun mechanicjim 1
What Delavan Businesswoman is turning 58 this w... (May '10) May 22 Midwestern girl 8
Sex offender Richard J. Hoyt to be released to ... May 11 tony 1
homosexuality is a sick depravity (Jul '11) Apr '15 Wendy 3
News Shirley A. Smith, Janesville, WI Apr '15 marilyn shockley 1
Why? Apr '15 Username Aussie 1
More from around the web

Janesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]