Fayetteville couple faces 48 counts o...

Fayetteville couple faces 48 counts of cruelty

There are 96 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jan 19, 2011, titled Fayetteville couple faces 48 counts of cruelty. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A Fayetteville couple will face 48 counts of animal cruelty for allegedly allowing their 24 hound dogs to live in unsanitary conditions that a humane officer described as "horrendous." "This is truly the worst case I've seen in Franklin County in nearly six years of doing this," said Franklin County Humane Police Officer Floyd "Buck" Hessler.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
My broken heart

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Jan 19, 2011
The troopers uniform cleaning is really a news issue? If it was their urine and feces because a really bad person made them loose control of their bodily functions maybe it's news, that would be a dangerous situation. I got some urine or feces on me boo hoo, ever use a porta john, or your toilet after a grand child, or walk across a cow pasture? Ok it was nasty but please. I know our State Police have endured many situations more horrific, even though Buck is damaged for life. Let's all give money to CVAS and Buck can recover from this horrible experience.
Smart As

Mercersburg, PA

#2 Jan 19, 2011
i once stepped in dog poop and got it all thru the tread of my boot. i had to use a screwdriver to dig it out. i didn't send it to Harrisburg tho.
Shiprider

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Jan 19, 2011
Seriously, the troopers could not wash their own boots and pants?? Franklin County is full of feces! You can get it on your shoe at any time..
RBL

AOL

#4 Jan 20, 2011
I think the Articles on this topic are overkill. Enough is enough! Who cares and needs to know that the polieceman's uniforms were sent to Harrisburg for cleaning. Whose business is it that the daughter lives with her boyfriend. Just juicy small town gossip that does not serve the public.
Really

Orrtanna, PA

#5 Jan 20, 2011
RBL wrote:
I think the Articles on this topic are overkill. Enough is enough! Who cares and needs to know that the polieceman's uniforms were sent to Harrisburg for cleaning. Whose business is it that the daughter lives with her boyfriend. Just juicy small town gossip that does not serve the public.
And yet you read and commented on the story. guess you like the "juicy small town gossip".
Really

Orrtanna, PA

#6 Jan 20, 2011
I wonder who cleaned the "code official's" clothing? I thought Commonwealth Code enforced the state building code, why are they involved in a dirty house case?
CRG

Aspers, PA

#7 Jan 20, 2011
In response to My broken heart or anyone who might want to adopt any of the 13 puppies. All of the pups had to have a physical, shots and be spayed or neutered, housed, fed and taken care by staff which is not free. If you would buy a pup from a pet shop or breeder, take it to your own vet for their first shots, get spayed or neutered your price so far is going to way more than the adoption fee I feel sure. So why do you think you would get this pup for free? Also, if you adopt, you get the satisfaction of giving an animal a much needed home which is so clearly needed, and you get them out of there so they don't get killed which you are so concerned about. It is a win-win situation for the animal and for you. You will have a great friend for a long time!
Indeed

Shermans Dale, PA

#8 Jan 20, 2011
Good grief, people. The reality in this whole situation is that the dogs were treated inhumanely. Thank you, Mr. Hessler, and the PSP officers who assisted in this rescue.

When the judge does the sentencing, have the Florys pay for the cleaning bills. It sounds like they may need a thorough cleaning themselves!!
Really

Orrtanna, PA

#9 Jan 20, 2011
Indeed wrote:
Good grief, people. The reality in this whole situation is that the dogs were treated inhumanely. Thank you, Mr. Hessler, and the PSP officers who assisted in this rescue.
When the judge does the sentencing, have the Florys pay for the cleaning bills. It sounds like they may need a thorough cleaning themselves!!
If the case goes before bleeding heart Kelly Rock she will more than likely find fault with the charges and seizure and move to dismiss.
fedup

Schwenksville, PA

#10 Jan 20, 2011
Might as well just charge him with one count of animal cruelty. When they are done with the plea bargaining BS, that's all he will be sentenced for.
A Julian

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Jan 20, 2011
Finally!! People of this caliber need to be held accountasble for their negligent actions. People like these (if we can call them people) have no regard for the animals in their care and they should pay the ultimate price for their cruelty and neglect. If by some ridiculous reason they can't pay the court costs and all fines, then they need to serve the maximum time in jail and serve community service with absolutely no pet ownership ever again. I use to volunteer in a Canine Rescue and I can tell you that people can be cruel beyond belief and to know that there are people out there that exhibit this kind of twisted mentality is sick to say the least. I was glad to hear the State Police got so involved and from what I gather, I would bet the two officers involved are pet owners themselves and are probably sick of dealing with the scumbags like the Flory's. Many thanks to everyone involved for getting the dogs out of their. We need to let society know that this type of animal cruelty and abuse will no longer be tolerated. Penalties and fines need to be strictly enforced and this is a new era where dogs are no longer seen as property but as living beings that deserve our love, care, and compassion. Sadly, in Pennsylvania, under the dog laws, dogs are still considered as property. It's an old outdated law but hopefully we can change that mentality.
How I see it

Shade Gap, PA

#12 Jan 20, 2011
I read the story and from what I gather the animals were loved (and the animals were on tv last night and seemed very socialized and healthy), they were fed and watered too, I didn't see that any were skinny, etc. They slept in their owner's bed, warm house, etc...not outside on chains.
I don't think they are quilty of animal abuse and I say this being a animal rights activist and vegetarian.
I understand that they were living in unacceptable conditions, BUT....and this is a big BUT, SO WERE THE PEOPLE! This proves it was not abuse. A jerk that goes to bed in his warm house and lets his dog outside to freeze with no water or food, or physical abuses, that's ABUSE.
This is a case of some kind of mental problem, obviously and I think these people have been punished enough and should be helped, not hurt.
Maybe they were angry that the bank was taking their home away and wanted to make it so noone would want it so they could keep the dogs. Maybe they are literally at their wits end and have lost their minds but I would hardly call them abusers. They lived in the house too!!
ANyone that lets their dog live out in the cold without proper love/attention, housing, food or water or eats their meat from factory farms is taking a part in real animal abuse.
With this being said, I understand why they took the dogs but I don't understand how fining and imprisioning people who obviously need our help is right.
Orange Julius Assange

Greencastle, PA

#13 Jan 20, 2011
How I see it wrote:
I read the story and from what I gather the animals were loved (and the animals were on tv last night and seemed very socialized and healthy), they were fed and watered too, I didn't see that any were skinny, etc. They slept in their owner's bed, warm house, etc...not outside on chains.
I don't think they are quilty of animal abuse and I say this being a animal rights activist and vegetarian.
I understand that they were living in unacceptable conditions, BUT....and this is a big BUT, SO WERE THE PEOPLE! This proves it was not abuse. A jerk that goes to bed in his warm house and lets his dog outside to freeze with no water or food, or physical abuses, that's ABUSE.
This is a case of some kind of mental problem, obviously and I think these people have been punished enough and should be helped, not hurt.
Maybe they were angry that the bank was taking their home away and wanted to make it so noone would want it so they could keep the dogs. Maybe they are literally at their wits end and have lost their minds but I would hardly call them abusers. They lived in the house too!!
ANyone that lets their dog live out in the cold without proper love/attention, housing, food or water or eats their meat from factory farms is taking a part in real animal abuse.
With this being said, I understand why they took the dogs but I don't understand how fining and imprisioning people who obviously need our help is right.
Grow up
Alkyhall

Shippensburg, PA

#14 Jan 20, 2011
How I see it wrote:
Quit making excuses. These people are disgusting!
Yikes

Chambersburg, PA

#15 Jan 20, 2011
no, How I see it is right. These people are guilty of letting the dogs live in filth as well as themselves but the animals were not starved or beaten. The story said they stopped taking them out because of neighbors complaining. So maybe it became an elevated dispute that they didn't want to face. However, no one needs 24 dogs in the house unless they have a kennel license. How in the world did it ever come to that? Inbreeding or what?
It is sad, for animals or people to live in that kind of filth, I am surprised they did not all get sick or get a disease from that. The people have no home now either. No one seems to care about that. There are worse monsters out there besides these people.
Janie

Waynesboro, PA

#16 Jan 20, 2011
I agree with How I See It in regards to the mental issues. I do think that there is a degree of mental illness at play here. Hoarding is not normal, living in filth like this is not normal. I do hope that the Flory's can get the help they each need.

And once again, I'd like to encourage an investigation of the caregiving agency that employed Mrs. Flory. How much of a background check could they have done? How many elderly people did she prepare meals for and assist with personal matters? This is a major issue of health and safety. Cleanliness was obviously not observed by Mrs. Flory. I refused to allow her in my house a second time.
That sounds disgusting

Newville, PA

#17 Jan 20, 2011
Time to call in the bulldozer and level the place - contents and all.

I am ashamed and saddened anyone would risk even the possibility of infecting their family and nearby fellow citizens with a wide array of feces-borne bacteria and disease like this.

ICK. Ick, Ick, Ick.

'THANK YOU!' to the officials involved for dealing with this: it sounds like it was a public health ticking time bomb just waiting to make others ill or worse.

And in my personal opinion, another sort of 'Thank YOU' goes out to the couple for putting anyone else at serious health risk.

Since: May 10

Chambersburg, PA

#18 Jan 20, 2011
How can a person (or people) live in a house with several inches of feces covering every floor of the house? That's just gross!
just the facts

Newville, PA

#19 Jan 20, 2011
My broken heart wrote:
The troopers uniform cleaning is really a news issue? If it was their urine and feces because a really bad person made them loose control of their bodily functions maybe it's news, that would be a dangerous situation. I got some urine or feces on me boo hoo, ever use a porta john, or your toilet after a grand child, or walk across a cow pasture? Ok it was nasty but please. I know our State Police have endured many situations more horrific, even though Buck is damaged for life. Let's all give money to CVAS and Buck can recover from this horrible experience.
Many of you do not live in the real world.

This was not the decision of those involved but rather it's state policy that whenever in the presence of potentially dangerous substances like blood, feces, urine, any state-issued clothing must be properly contained (bagged), and then sent back to the state for proper disposal in this type of situation.

This is why law enforcement (as well as health care professionals),and others so often wear gloves, masks, etc., when handling people who may also bear, or be in contact with hazardous health contaminants.(This is also why in many parts of the U.S., even spitting at a police officer is now considered personal assault - you do not know what that person may be carrying in their system - the same applies to animals and fecal matter. More so in a situation such as this.

It's called personal barrier protection - and is in effect for someone's personal health and safety.

I realize many people posting here live in a different time and world, but welcome to the present-day reality.

Cut these people some slack, they walked in that house and dealed with it - and you did not.

Know your facts before you spout off, please?
TKO

Chambersburg, PA

#20 Jan 20, 2011
Why are these people being charged with animal cruelty when all these dogs are healthy and appear to have been well taken care of and the dead dog that was found outside died of old age. The house is not good for any human beings to live in and if it is as bad as described in the story then I think it should be condemned from any humans living there but the dogs were fine. I think anybody that lives in these kind of conditions may have some type of mental issues and hopefully the Flory's can get some help and start over with their lives again and make better decisions for themselves. I've known the Flory family for a long time and they are good people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Jul 11 Don D 778
Review: I Love Kickboxing Jun '16 Mallory R 3
Review: Christopher Day Real Estate (May '09) Apr '16 N Day 4
ToughLove Intl founder David York (Dec '07) Apr '16 Suzanne Croken 41
Review: Donchez, Gerard P CPA - Gerard P Donche... (Nov '09) Apr '16 Kim Bennett 6
Attempted murder (May '09) Apr '16 john 13
Review: Ophthalmology Physicians - Francis J Cl... (Jun '11) Apr '16 Rebecca 67

Jamison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jamison Mortgages