memories of 1974 in doylestown

memories of 1974 in doylestown

Created by former doylestonian on Jan 5, 2010

68 votes

Click on an option to vote

anyone remember "top shop"?

Ed's Diner after school?

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the mailman

United States

#21 Dec 22, 2010
How about the Rexall corner of Shewell ave, the old boro school, the highway dinner, the old court house,
grumpy9500

Lehighton, PA

#22 Dec 27, 2010
I remember Burger Chef which is now a Dairy Queen, getting model airplanes at Fosters and then getting a burger at Ginos across the street. Rudolphs Army Navy Store and the barber shop on the same street. Dunkin Dounuts across from Cross Keys Mobil, Nice Lumber, Ed's Diner and Poncho always peeking around the kitchen door saying " Everybody chewing? ". The midget car races behind the bowling alley I think it was at Arbonite, Grants, Woolworths, Carrols Jewlers, Hornburgers Bakry ( both of them ). Conti's Inn. 1974 was the last year of the Carnival and fireworks. The fall of 1974 they started building Heritage Towers and I was a security guard there at the construction site( terribly boring ).Weisbards Drug Store, Kershners Drug Store, Shive's Hardware Store. And of course the Cottage Street Store... we always called it Boulten's. Fanny Chapman, we always hung out in the corner behind the diving boards. Kennys News Agency that always smelled like fresh newspapers. Anyone having pictures of D-Town between 1972 and 1975 I would love to see them. grumpy9500 at yahoo dot com.
stickyfingers

Bear, DE

#23 Jan 5, 2011
Top a-da Shop.....phonetically speaking.
Allen Hirsh

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Jan 14, 2011
Does anyone posting on this site have a photo of The Hustle Inn? I am the webmaster for my class (Central High School of Philadelphia)June 1960, and we had our Post-Prom Breakfast at the Hustle Inn on Saturday, May 28th, 1960. I am doing a Trivia page on our website ( www.214chs.zoomshare.com ) and one of the questions asks classmates to identify the venue where we had the post-Prom Breakfast. As I am providing the answers with an appropriate visual, it would be great if there were a photo of the place for reference. If you have such a photo or can point me in the direction of a resource, I would appreciate your effort and give you the credit on the website for the photo. My e-mail address is either [email protected] or [email protected] Thank you, Allen Hirsh
John

Boca Del Río, Mexico

#25 Jan 19, 2011
Skip wrote:
Does anyone remember Al Mulford? He was a top shop guy with a car that had a zillion leaves painted on it.
In 1974, I can't imagine there were 2 Al Mulfords in Doylestown. So If it's who I'm thinking of I belive he died in March of 1980 in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Dave

AOL

#26 Feb 2, 2011
OK....here's really turning back the clock. To the 60's. Arctic Market. This was a grocery store that sat by itself in the Doylestown Shopping Center...not far from the Esso station, which today is the Starbucks. I worked at Sipler Plastics next to the airport...which probably took several years off my life. Remember the "old" Catholic Church..torn down where the present church is today. The Lutheran Church that today is an office. Where Lily's is today was once a tire repair place! The Do Drop Inn. The "old" post office at the south end of town. There was a postal worker there so mean, no one would line up in front of his window.
CoolerGuy

Doylestown, PA

#27 Feb 3, 2011
Sounds like doylestown used to be a cool place to call home. Hell, I wouldn't mind growing up in 1970's doylestown. Boy, how the times have changed. Now it's an upscale town filled with yuppies, bmw's and starbucks lol.
Kathleen

New Hope, PA

#28 Oct 6, 2011
Can anyone tell me where the Hustle Inn was located in Doylestown? I used to go there and now live in Doylestown but have no recollection of the location.

Thanks!
Debby

Plainsboro, NJ

#29 Oct 7, 2011
I remember DB Platapus, the fast photo place in the shopping center, the bowling alley, mrs.paulsetc...the big dipper
grumpy9500

Lehighton, PA

#30 Oct 7, 2011
The fast photo place in the shopping center... I know the guy who pulled it over with a chain and his orange blazer... it wasn't me !
Jody Howe

Bear, DE

#31 May 4, 2014
We moved to Doylestown in 1974 and rented an apartment in a three-story stone farm house on the property of the the Burpee Seed Company on Rt. 202 across from the field where the Doylestown Hospital now stands. Next to the farmhouse was a small stone building housing an ice house below and a room for smoking meat above, long unused. All these ancient stone buildings were replaced over time by modern medical offices.
Former resident

Warminster, PA

#32 Jun 25, 2014
How about The Lady Barbers? At one point over by the old hospital... My dad hated when I switched to there... No more crew cuts
4Katie

Fayetteville, NC

#33 Sep 11, 2014
Dave wrote:
OK....here's really turning back the clock. To the 60's. Arctic Market. This was a grocery store that sat by itself in the Doylestown Shopping Center...not far from the Esso station, which today is the Starbucks. I worked at Sipler Plastics next to the airport...which probably took several years off my life. Remember the "old" Catholic Church..torn down where the present church is today. The Lutheran Church that today is an office. Where Lily's is today was once a tire repair place! The Do Drop Inn. The "old" post office at the south end of town. There was a postal worker there so mean, no one would line up in front of his window.
I used to work at the Arctic market!
Don Thomas

United States

#34 Sep 22, 2014
former doylestonian wrote:
thought it would be fun to see how many people respond to growing up in D'town! Things have sure changed...what do YOU remember?
Uesed to stand at the cornor of main and state all night. What clean fun
Don Thomas

United States

#35 Sep 22, 2014
grumpy9500 wrote:
I remember Burger Chef which is now a Dairy Queen, getting model airplanes at Fosters and then getting a burger at Ginos across the street. Rudolphs Army Navy Store and the barber shop on the same street. Dunkin Dounuts across from Cross Keys Mobil, Nice Lumber, Ed's Diner and Poncho always peeking around the kitchen door saying " Everybody chewing? ". The midget car races behind the bowling alley I think it was at Arbonite, Grants, Woolworths, Carrols Jewlers, Hornburgers Bakry ( both of them ). Conti's Inn. 1974 was the last year of the Carnival and fireworks. The fall of 1974 they started building Heritage Towers and I was a security guard there at the construction site( terribly boring ).Weisbards Drug Store, Kershners Drug Store, Shive's Hardware Store. And of course the Cottage Street Store... we always called it Boulten's. Fanny Chapman, we always hung out in the corner behind the diving boards. Kennys News Agency that always smelled like fresh newspapers. Anyone having pictures of D-Town between 1972 and 1975 I would love to see them. grumpy9500 at yahoo dot com.
Grumpy 9500 at yahoo.com I was at all those places. Born in Doylestown hosp 1953 left Doylestown in 1980 after George Casey was daunting my exwife and set me up with drug charges. Great guy. Have pics a lot.
Don Thomas

United States

#36 Sep 22, 2014
Jody Howe wrote:
We moved to Doylestown in 1974 and rented an apartment in a three-story stone farm house on the property of the the Burpee Seed Company on Rt. 202 across from the field where the Doylestown Hospital now stands. Next to the farmhouse was a small stone building housing an ice house below and a room for smoking meat above, long unused. All these ancient stone buildings were replaced over time by modern medical offices.
Hi Jody I know you and you should remember me
I thought you were a great woman. I now have 3 kids and grand kids and live in calif. owned my own mortuary for 22 years and am having a great life. Now 62 years young and am glad I moved 93 Decatur st knew Jo hn Lear and his brother who killed himself with a shot gun, he was a great guy.
Barbara Clark Fonda

Keeseville, NY

#37 Nov 3, 2014
Don Thomas wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Jody I know you and you should remember me
I thought you were a great woman. I now have 3 kids and grand kids and live in calif. owned my own mortuary for 22 years and am having a great life. Now 62 years young and am glad I moved 93 Decatur st knew Jo hn Lear and his brother who killed himself with a shot gun, he was a great guy.
Don Thomas! It has been years! I lived in Doylestown as well and had a HUGE crush on you. You snuck Me and My sister(who was married to Larry Brown) into your bedroom so we could wait for Larry to pick us up in the morning. You were living down near a bar by Mohawk Devices...Ring any bells?
4Katie

Fayetteville, NC

#38 Nov 23, 2014
Don Thomas wrote:
<quoted text>
Grumpy 9500 at yahoo.com I was at all those places. Born in Doylestown hosp 1953 left Doylestown in 1980 after George Casey was daunting my exwife and set me up with drug charges. Great guy. Have pics a lot.
Don - Are you Caroline's son?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Tue Mark wirsner 847
Review: Ophthalmology Physicians - Francis J Cl... (Jun '11) Mar 20 Thomas Hedges 69
News Police seek murder suspect (Oct '07) Mar 16 Grammar Slammer 47
Lacey Park - 1948 (Oct '10) Mar 16 Right on 62
News Supervisors fire police officer (Aug '09) Feb 22 go_gators 2
Lacey Park (Mar '16) Feb 22 Hatterboy 7
News Naked man who gnawed on head pleads guilty (Mar '13) Feb '17 stanley 12

Jamison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jamison Mortgages