First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dragon Fan

Allardt, TN

#1 Apr 21, 2008
I have heard the rumor Coach Wright has resigned as head football coach. Please tell me this is WRONG.
dragon pride

Allardt, TN

#2 Apr 21, 2008
afraid not .. i heard the same ..
sammy

Cosby, TN

#3 Apr 21, 2008
yeah thats what ive heard to
Dragon Fan

Crossville, TN

#4 Apr 22, 2008
I cant believe we finally get the football progam to where it should be and they let the coach get away. From what i hear it is because they are playing to cheer coach more. And he is doing head coaching duties for two teams. I cant say that i blame him, but i hope they figure out which program puts money back into the school. When is the last time the cheerleaders sold out the Dragon Pit. When is the last time the cheerleaders done a cheer. They should be called the the dance team not cheer leaders
A Real YAI Fan

Jamestown, TN

#5 Apr 22, 2008
Dragon Fan wrote:
I cant believe we finally get the football progam to where it should be and they let the coach get away. From what i hear it is because they are playing to cheer coach more. And he is doing head coaching duties for two teams. I cant say that i blame him, but i hope they figure out which program puts money back into the school. When is the last time the cheerleaders sold out the Dragon Pit. When is the last time the cheerleaders done a cheer. They should be called the the dance team not cheer leaders
Do not put down the cheerleaders because you disagree with the administration, the cheerleaders had nothing to do with their decision, whatever it was. The cheerleaders support the teams and you should be ashamed for making such comments. We should support ALL students in their efforts to represent their school and community.
Dragon Fan

Crossville, TN

#6 Apr 22, 2008
A Real YAI Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not put down the cheerleaders because you disagree with the administration, the cheerleaders had nothing to do with their decision, whatever it was. The cheerleaders support the teams and you should be ashamed for making such comments. We should support ALL students in their efforts to represent their school and community.
So am asuming that you have family on the "dance squad". I have no problems with the cheerleaders, to my understanding they have won some awards in dancing competions. That is great, i just wish they would do more cheering and less dancing. I have heard so many people complain about he pep club at YAI. I would be hard to have much spirit at the games when the ones that are suppost to be leading the cheers are dancing.
Back to the original reason for this post. I dont agree that a person no matter the sports that is coaching two sports should get a smaller coaching supplement than someone who is just now starting to do one.
A Real YAI Fan

Jamestown, TN

#7 Apr 22, 2008
I agree with the money situation if it is true, I just don't understand why you brought the cheerleaders into this. And no I do not have a family member on the cheerleading squad.
Dragon Fan

Crossville, TN

#8 Apr 22, 2008
The cheerleading squad was mentioned, due to the fact they are paying someone more to be the cheerleading coach than for a person that is coaching two sports. Was not meant to bash them in any way. I do not understand how they can justify the way they give coaching supplements. I do not understand why they dance more than they cheer but maybe times have changed.
neutral gear

Jamestown, TN

#9 Apr 22, 2008
If i understand correctly, the pay for the cheer coach is based on a percentage of the "base" salary already paid to the employee. I agree with several other people here, don't blame the cheerleaders because Coach Wright is resigning, they really had nothing to do with it.
sammy

Cosby, TN

#10 Apr 22, 2008
someone told me that we was coming back
Kelley Beaty

Allardt, TN

#11 Apr 22, 2008
Hi. I am a YAI cheerleader. And I just wanted to inform the Dragon Fan that Maybe he hasn't heard we won first place in CHEER and dance. You should see the trophies we've won. And our pep club got into trouble because they were too peppy. But I can tell how many games you've obviously attended so I guess I don't have to tell you how awesome the CHEERleaders happen to be. Football goes half the year. Basketball goes half a year. CHEERleading is YEAR ROUND! I don't know anything about this salary mess, and obviously none of you do either. So maybe this forum should be about YAI FOOTBALL as is says, instead of which coach is paid more. THANKS for SUPPORTING the CHEERleaders and YORK HIGH SCHOOL, Dragon Fan!

-Kelley Beaty
go york

Jamestown, TN

#12 Apr 22, 2008
I just want the dragon fan to know that he has absolutley no business bringing the YAI cheerleaders into this, they have nothing to do with how much their coach gets paid thats all up to the administration and i don't care what anyone says every single ball game i have been to for the past 3 years the york cheerleaders are known for how awesome they are!! not only by york fans but also the opposite teams fans.. noone realizes how hard they work year round.. not to mention how much money they shell out twice a year so they basketball players and football players can have a scrap book... so why don't you re think this forum.. its sad to know people in this county can't support ALL STUDENTS WHO ARE INVOLVED WITH THE SPORTS PROGRAMS AT YORK AND THAT INCLUDES THE COACHES!! so next time you wanna bash someone LEAVE THE YAI CHEERLEADERS OUT OF IT THEY DID NOTHING BUT SUPPORT THEIR SCHOOL.. o and i forgot to mention go look at their trophy case they hold QUITE A FEW 1 PLACE TROPIES!!! GO YORK!!!
Dragon Fan

Cosby, TN

#13 Apr 23, 2008
I am not bashing the cheerleaders or their coach. I do not like all the dancing true. I would rather see them do cheers yes that is my opinion. I am glad that they have done well in their competions and if you read my comment i dont think it said one trophy. Sure it is year around and i know they have their cheer camp every summer. I do think it is wrong for them to pay anyone that is in their first year of coaching more than someone who has been doing it for 4 or 5 years and has now taken on 2 teams. I know all about the scrap books have one at home that a lovely lady made for me. I was very thankful. I do support the all YAI athletics and attend some all the events. Well have never been to golf or bowling match. I hope the young ladies understand that i am not bashing them am sure could not do the things you do.
Dragon Fan

Cosby, TN

#14 Apr 23, 2008
that should say i am sure i could not do the things you do. sorry for the TYPO
pay raise

Jamestown, TN

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Someone gets a raise and a fellow teacher threatens to quit. Maybe Mr. Wright should coach
cheerleading instead of football if all he is interested in is money.
Boomer

Cosby, TN

#16 Apr 23, 2008
From what I understand the state puts a cap on the amount of supplement any teacher or state employee can make. Being the head coach of two teams Coach Wright has topped out on his supplement. The Cheer coach does not have an assistance so she is recieving the supplement for both the head coach and assistant. She makes a higher salary so though her percentage is the same she gets more money.
Former Dragon player

Christiana, TN

#17 Apr 23, 2008
Here's the thing. It was Wright's decision to take on a second sport. It was the administration's decision to put him in that situation. They had a better canidate for the job, but chose to give it to him anyway. It has obviously done wonders for him in his life. Great decisions made by all involved.(sarcasm)
My opinion is " they all made their bed, now lie in it." If the right thing had been done in the first place, then alot of this could have been avoided.
In The Know

Christiana, TN

#18 Apr 23, 2008
Couldn't agree more former player. Too many people around YAI are more concerned about money than the students. I am a friend of Coach Matney's and I know for a fact that the administration bascially tried to bribe him to stay by giving him more money after they screwed him out of the job. They told him they would start tennis teams for him to coach and basically double what he made for coaching basketball. Obviously they just wanted him to stay as they didn't start those teams when he left. Tell me the kids were being thought about there. Once again it shows the integrity Greg has and that he could be bought off by money. We don't have enough people like that taking care of our kids out there. Unfortunately after that fiasco, we have 2 less with the Matneys now gone. I agree completely that the admin. must now live with the consequences of their actions. Maybe they learned that true teachers and coaches are not caught up in money, but rather care about the kids. I pray they learned these things and will make better decisions.
go york

Jamestown, TN

#19 Apr 23, 2008
yea well glad you now decided not to bash the cheerleaders... in my opinion the girls dancing is awesome and half the time they dance because fans and parents asked them too plus half the time when they do crowd cheers some people don't yell back so well they dance... so there for everything the cheerleaders do is good they work so hard!! i passed them today practicing and it was almost 5 o'clock you go girls in the hott sun i must say so im proud of the york cheerleaders and they can't help what happens with who gets paid what so nothing but good should be said about them..... go york
the usual

Monterey, TN

#20 Apr 25, 2008
Most of you don't know what is happening. Its not about the money, its about a first year coach making more for coaching cheerleaders than a seasoned coach is making for two sports. They offered the job to a couple of others at 7.5%, turned down one at 7.5%, then gave her 15% of her salary. That's near $9000 to a cheerleading coach in her first year. I'm curious how that huge percent is justified, when it was offered to others for less?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alvin Rogers 3 hr Mel 1
Pig Roast 4 hr Trump Eats Babies 16
Deputy 714 7 hr Scanner Guy 1
Chucky Cravens (Apr '16) 9 hr Clara 96
New sheriff 12 hr What- me worry 23
Who are the new deputies (Sep '14) 13 hr Curious 13
Goose knew what Chuckie was doing 15 hr johnson1 59

Jamestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance