junkyard dog

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Does anyone know anything about what is going on there. I've heard they are going under? Even though they don't pay well we don't need to lose anymore jobs.
DOG CATCHER55

Parkers Lake, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

IF MICRO METALS GOES UNDER.YOU MIGHT AS WELL BURN WHAT MONEY YOU HAVE BECAUSE IT WONT BE WORTH THE PAPER ITS ON
bliss pit

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

The parts that the plant are 95% for the US auto industry, and with the way the the auto industry is t cutting cost, If tha can get parts for cars in the northen states the cost of shiping them is cheper. The auto ind. also looks at its quality, and with the new managment (AKA)the the bible thumping production manager, who does not like getting his hands dirty, the works do not respect him, unlike Carl who was just like us and treated us with respect. Plus the owner would rather spend his time building travel trailers,that are so high priced that his employs can't even afford them. So in retrospect why would you try your best when the owner cares more about building trailers, that the people in this county cannot even aford. When Carl was running the company he put ever penny in to the plant and would go barrow money from the bank so e could give his works chrstmas bouns. The reson that the long time workers got laid-off is because why would you pay someone 12 to 15 dollars an hour, when you could pay the ones wilth less time 7 to 8 per hour, it isn't about being mean, it's just a way to cut cost for labor.
no way

Bloomington Springs, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

bliss pit wrote:
The parts that the plant are 95% for the US auto industry, and with the way the the auto industry is t cutting cost, If tha can get parts for cars in the northen states the cost of shiping them is cheper. The auto ind. also looks at its quality, and with the new managment (AKA)the the bible thumping production manager, who does not like getting his hands dirty, the works do not respect him, unlike Carl who was just like us and treated us with respect. Plus the owner would rather spend his time building travel trailers,that are so high priced that his employs can't even afford them. So in retrospect why would you try your best when the owner cares more about building trailers, that the people in this county cannot even aford. When Carl was running the company he put ever penny in to the plant and would go barrow money from the bank so e could give his works chrstmas bouns. The reson that the long time workers got laid-off is because why would you pay someone 12 to 15 dollars an hour, when you could pay the ones wilth less time 7 to 8 per hour, it isn't about being mean, it's just a way to cut cost for labor.
Your kinda right and wrong all in the same comment.

To me it looks like they kept most of their higher paid employees and laid off some of the lesser paid employees. Not really cutting costs when you do that.

There are all kinds of ways to cut costs there, just most people wouldn't like the thought or idea it would take to achieve it.
bliss pit

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

no way wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kinda right and wrong all in the same comment.
To me it looks like they kept most of their higher paid employees and laid off some of the lesser paid employees. Not really cutting costs when you do that.
There are all kinds of ways to cut costs there, just most people wouldn't like the thought or idea it would take to achieve it.
Then why did thay lay-off Judy, with 20 years in, and the other 100%ers. They have the salary workers doing the 100% this so that thay would not have to pay the 100% girls. The problem is that the office people do not do the job all the time, they can't tell a crack on a part from lucas mills butt, which is hard not to miss, and the one guy from the office that does a good job (KK), the managers treat him like a slave.
Party Time

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

I know a way to cut cost, get rid of Mr.Sells, the plant ran for years with out him, and lets not forget how he comes up with ways do diffrent, just ask him if e has a collage degre in eng. he is no diffrent than any of use who went to York High School, just ask him about why he left and went to NC, I bet he followed a QA lady, whom he was very close to LOL .
no way

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

bliss pit wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did thay lay-off Judy, with 20 years in, and the other 100%ers. They have the salary workers doing the 100% this so that thay would not have to pay the 100% girls. The problem is that the office people do not do the job all the time, they can't tell a crack on a part from lucas mills butt, which is hard not to miss, and the one guy from the office that does a good job (KK), the managers treat him like a slave.
i've heard that judy is back out there working. Then again 100%ers are just one department. Look at the rest of the shop, they have kept the higher paid individuals over people that can do the same job for less money.

yeah you can say, get rid of one person and it helps, it might. You have to look at it from other standpoints too.

In different areas of the company you have multiple people doing the exact same job. Why do you need multiple people doing the same job? Who knows it must make them feel all warm and cozy inside knowing that they saved their own job over people that struggle otherwise.

Some places they have scaled back and made people pick up other work but in others, two people, same job title, just a good cop bad cop ordeal just drains the company of thousands a month of un-neccesary payroll.

am i sticking up for them for what they are doing, no but it doesn't matter anyways cause they are just going to help their self any way necessary
Red Fox

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

going outa biz

“Jump into the night”

Since: Nov 08

Jamestown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

The plant can not close, even if they are losing money, becase of the contracts to te auto supplers
helpful hint

Allardt, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

I worked there a long time ago I was a production clerk and a engineering secretary and I really enjoyed working for Carl and Jennie and Scott.

You couldn't find a better family to work for. Have you thought about how many times they could have moved to a more populated area and use a lower pay scale emplyees? They stayed and helped our community for all of these years and knowing Scott's devotion to his parents legacy he will continue and pass on this legacy.

As for his other business it is a private hobby that so happened to make a profit for the family so don't knock him for following a dream of his.
Afterall he is running both businesses and still employing our Jamestownians. May God Bless him and His wife and kids. May God also Bless his dear sweet mother Jennie.

“Love it or leave”

Since: May 08

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

helpful hint wrote:
I worked there a long time ago I was a production clerk and a engineering secretary and I really enjoyed working for Carl and Jennie and Scott.
You couldn't find a better family to work for. Have you thought about how many times they could have moved to a more populated area and use a lower pay scale emplyees? They stayed and helped our community for all of these years and knowing Scott's devotion to his parents legacy he will continue and pass on this legacy.
As for his other business it is a private hobby that so happened to make a profit for the family so don't knock him for following a dream of his.
Afterall he is running both businesses and still employing our Jamestownians. May God Bless him and His wife and kids. May God also Bless his dear sweet mother Jennie.
I worked there about 15 years ago and the pay for production was about 5.25 an hour and one break. I am again in auto parts production in A more populated area and the pay for A production worker is 18.00 an hr. and free benefits and A brake every two hours. Just curious to know what production pay is there now. And to the person who said they cant close because they have contracts with the auto companies. We get new contracts all the time from companies that can no longer compete. I hope your factory can survive this I don't want to see anyone lose jobs, especially in an area with so few to begin with.
haha

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2009

Captain J T Spaulding wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked there about 15 years ago and the pay for production was about 5.25 an hour and one break. I am again in auto parts production in A more populated area and the pay for A production worker is 18.00 an hr. and free benefits and A brake every two hours. Just curious to know what production pay is there now. And to the person who said they cant close because they have contracts with the auto companies. We get new contracts all the time from companies that can no longer compete. I hope your factory can survive this I don't want to see anyone lose jobs, especially in an area with so few to begin with.
Starting pay there is only 7.50....not really competitive pay for the industry it is
junkyard dog

Allons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Yes the pay starts out at 7.50 an hour and your medical insurance costs close to a 100.00 dollars a week for family coverage. This doesn't doesn't leave much to take home. When they had them on 12 hour days they only received 2 breaks and lunch. Lord, please don't say anything about a union especially at the company picnic. Maybe they do need a union if they can survive through these ecomonic times.
do know

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

junkyard dog wrote:
Yes the pay starts out at 7.50 an hour and your medical insurance costs close to a 100.00 dollars a week for family coverage. This doesn't doesn't leave much to take home. When they had them on 12 hour days they only received 2 breaks and lunch. Lord, please don't say anything about a union especially at the company picnic. Maybe they do need a union if they can survive through these ecomonic times.
plz don't say union park shrit had a union and were told that they would not lose their jobs and the union didn't help them keep it i know cause i work their the union don't help anyone they take your money and say your on your own. unions suck and i know this to be fact. don't need anyone union shit.
do know

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

oh ps the name of the union is unite here

“Love it or leave”

Since: May 08

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

We are non union but if it weren't for the pay and benefits of union workers in our industry and in our area we would be making about 7 bucks an hour. So you don't have to be in A union to benefit from one.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2009

We are non union but if it weren't for the pay and benefits of union workers in our industry and in our area we would be making about 7 bucks an hour. So you don't have to be in A union to benefit from one.
I totally agree with you but I know LCB will not.But I have seen the exact same thing.
Crazy

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

How long you been out at mm
tnhillbilly

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

Just what do you think the unions have done to the auto industry?I knew a guy that worked in the Gm plant and he said you werent even allowed to pick up a wrench to help someone do a job without the unions permission.He also said the pay was good but he didnt see how the company could stay in business.Boy was he right.Peace to those willing to fight for it.
Laughing

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2009

tnhillbilly wrote:
Just what do you think the unions have done to the auto industry?I knew a guy that worked in the Gm plant and he said you werent even allowed to pick up a wrench to help someone do a job without the unions permission.He also said the pay was good but he didnt see how the company could stay in business.Boy was he right.Peace to those willing to fight for it.
You have finally said something that I agree with!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Jamestown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Jamestown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••