Posted in the Jamestown Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Question

Livingston, TN

#2 Nov 13, 2012
Question wrote:
All our county's financial problems would be solved if liquor stores and liquor by the drink was allowed here. The tax revenue we are losing to surrounding counties is unbelieveable. Like it or not, people here drink, even those that deny it. We spend all our time complaining about how much the county spends, but ignore opportunities to increase revenue. Now I will sit back and wait for the bible thumpers to attack.
No attack. I'm stunned.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#3 Nov 13, 2012
Stunned?

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#4 Nov 13, 2012
Attack?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#5 Nov 13, 2012
Attacked & stunned?
itsme

Jamestown, TN

#6 Nov 13, 2012
next time vote liquor by the Drink,,yes I am all for it;;bin going to Crossville ..

Location hidden

#7 Nov 13, 2012
Will not pass here..You will have to keep going to Crossville.

Location hidden

#8 Nov 13, 2012
The only people who think liquor by the drink or a liquor store will "pass" here are not from here or are living in a La La land.

That's just the way it is, no attack or stunned intended. Try as you might that is the way it is for Fentress County for the next one hundred years. Help yourself to all the attempts you want.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 13, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
Attacked & stunned?
LOL!

Location hidden

#10 Nov 13, 2012
Joker wrote:
Stunned?
Joker why don't you go ahead and register your name? It won't hurt a bit.
me too

Crossville, TN

#11 Nov 14, 2012
dollop wrote:
The only people who think liquor by the drink or a liquor store will "pass" here are not from here or are living in a La La land.
That's just the way it is, no attack or stunned intended. Try as you might that is the way it is for Fentress County for the next one hundred years. Help yourself to all the attempts you want.
THATS WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT BEER SERVED IN DINNERS TOO!
Mojo

Jamestown, TN

#12 Nov 20, 2012
Liquor stores will open in Fentress County probably the same week we get marijuana commissaries in Clarkrange and Allardt. Pitiful that we cannot get the tax money from liquor sales in this county, not to mention the millions we could bring in from the production, sales and distribution of legal cannabis in Fentress County as well as in the whole state. What we could introduce into our county's budget would be somewhere between 8-10 million dollars to maybe even as high as 1-2 billion dollars per year in taxes and fees for cannabis production, jobs relating to production, sales, regulations, quality control, transportation and many other jobs related to this tremendously profitable industry. Instead we would rather give all this money to Mexican drug cartels and spend countless millions fighting an un-winnable "War on Drugs". Make cannabis legal and use the money generated to build new schools, a new " Justice Center/Jail, rebuild our roads, create jobs, and countless other projects that our infrastructure needs, and to fight "real" crime. I am just dreaming , I forgot we are in the infamous "Bible Belt" , where people would rather live in poverty than get into the modern world and legalize medicinal cannabis. Wise up and legalize cannabis, don't let this opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this industry pass us by.
Tosha

Jamestown, TN

#13 Nov 22, 2012
We will never get liquor sales in this county, The tax free churches will fight it to the end.
Concerned Citizen

Jamestown, TN

#15 Nov 23, 2012
First of all, I think the churches should be taxed. I would rather see the churches taxed, legalize medicinal cannabis, and legal liquor stores, and restaurants with liquor by the drink in Fentress County, than for my taxes to go up another 49% when we have to support York Institute. If Fentress County was not of such a backward mentality, they would embrace change. Change is the only way to increase the revenue base... not expect the property owners to pay for everything.

Location hidden

#16 Nov 23, 2012
Concerned Citizen wrote:
First of all, I think the churches should be taxed. I would rather see the churches taxed, legalize medicinal cannabis, and legal liquor stores, and restaurants with liquor by the drink in Fentress County, than for my taxes to go up another 49% when we have to support York Institute. If Fentress County was not of such a backward mentality, they would embrace change. Change is the only way to increase the revenue base... not expect the property owners to pay for everything.
Not all change is good change...Backward mentality? Do not agree..The people of Fentress county are trying to have a God mentality...If a person,company,or government follows Gods principles,He will take care of us.The change you are proposing will not even come close to happening here..This is the Bible belt,get used to it.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#17 Nov 23, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all change is good change...Backward mentality? Do not agree..The people of Fentress county are trying to have a God mentality...If a person,company,or government follows Gods principles,He will take care of us.The change you are proposing will not even come close to happening here..This is the Bible belt,get used to it.
I agree with no time soon, but I wouldn't say "never".

I would say within 10 years there may be changes. Most of the older Bible "thumpers" will be either gone or on their way out and a lot of today's youth are not as stuck to the strict adherence of the Bible Belt rules and are more tolerant of the ways of the world and I feel that with time some changes will come to our fair county. I highly doubt a liquor store will ever be on the corner but maybe liquor by the drink "may" be the biggest change to come. I think it would help our tourism industry, since that's what the Bible Belt people want to push this place as anyway. I constantly hear out of towners (people who come here to spend their money here) say that they can't believe you can't go somewhere to eat and get a drink (wine, mixed etc). Like it or not, if we want to make Fentress County's claim to fame and biggest money draw tourism, then we are going to have to make some changes to increase our tax revenues.

Location hidden

#18 Nov 23, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with no time soon, but I wouldn't say "never".
I would say within 10 years there may be changes. Most of the older Bible "thumpers" will be either gone or on their way out and a lot of today's youth are not as stuck to the strict adherence of the Bible Belt rules and are more tolerant of the ways of the world and I feel that with time some changes will come to our fair county. I highly doubt a liquor store will ever be on the corner but maybe liquor by the drink "may" be the biggest change to come. I think it would help our tourism industry, since that's what the Bible Belt people want to push this place as anyway. I constantly hear out of towners (people who come here to spend their money here) say that they can't believe you can't go somewhere to eat and get a drink (wine, mixed etc). Like it or not, if we want to make Fentress County's claim to fame and biggest money draw tourism, then we are going to have to make some changes to increase our tax revenues.
Maybe you are right,but it will be more than 20yrs. before that may happen.I will always vote against it..God takes care of people and governments that try to adhere to His principles.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#19 Nov 23, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you are right,but it will be more than 20yrs. before that may happen.I will always vote against it..God takes care of people and governments that try to adhere to His principles.
I don't think in God's word did He mention calling a government's citizen's (or anyone) "Dumbas*es" did He?

That should show you that you should not support the CE based on your Christian values alone. If you are what you say you are.
Mojo

Jamestown, TN

#20 Nov 23, 2012
Green hornet, you need to get off your high horse. This county will never go anywhere with the current ridiculous laws we have. Would you rather the money spend on marijuana be given to the Mexican cartels or be spent locally here to improve our county? Face it, people are going to drink alcohol,remember that prohibition thing back in the 1920's and 30's. The biggest problem we have here is people like you that want to stand on your stump and preach about the "Good Book". Even good Christians have a drink every now and then. People are going to buy liquor too, why not at least correct tax money, etc from the sale of liquor. You know there are some people that actually come home from a hard days work and fix a drink and sit down and relax for a few minutes. This does not make them a vicious addict, they interact with friends and family and socialize in a very respectable way. Yes there are exception to this thought such as alcoholics, violent acts committed, etc, but not all people are violent or get into a car drunk and go out and kill people with their car. You must live a very miserable life, thinking that it is better to give money to drug cartels than allow people with legitimate health problems to access medication that can ease their pain or elevate their problems or symptoms, and also feel that you would rather another city or county to get legitimate tax money that should come here. This community will not grow unless we wake up and get things here that people want. Some companies will not locate here simply because we don't have liquor facilities or liquor by the drink, they won't say that but it is true. Wake up Fentress County , get liquor stores and liquor by the drink. We also need to enact medicinal marijuana in our great state of Tennessee. Oh by the way Mr. Green Hornet, I myself seldom drink alcohol in any form, but I definitely will support and vote for liquor and marijuana legalization. Thanks for listening.

Location hidden

#21 Nov 24, 2012
Mojo wrote:
Green hornet, you need to get off your high horse. This county will never go anywhere with the current ridiculous laws we have. Would you rather the money spend on marijuana be given to the Mexican cartels or be spent locally here to improve our county? Face it, people are going to drink alcohol,remember that prohibition thing back in the 1920's and 30's. The biggest problem we have here is people like you that want to stand on your stump and preach about the "Good Book". Even good Christians have a drink every now and then. People are going to buy liquor too, why not at least correct tax money, etc from the sale of liquor. You know there are some people that actually come home from a hard days work and fix a drink and sit down and relax for a few minutes. This does not make them a vicious addict, they interact with friends and family and socialize in a very respectable way. Yes there are exception to this thought such as alcoholics, violent acts committed, etc, but not all people are violent or get into a car drunk and go out and kill people with their car. You must live a very miserable life, thinking that it is better to give money to drug cartels than allow people with legitimate health problems to access medication that can ease their pain or elevate their problems or symptoms, and also feel that you would rather another city or county to get legitimate tax money that should come here. This community will not grow unless we wake up and get things here that people want. Some companies will not locate here simply because we don't have liquor facilities or liquor by the drink, they won't say that but it is true. Wake up Fentress County , get liquor stores and liquor by the drink. We also need to enact medicinal marijuana in our great state of Tennessee. Oh by the way Mr. Green Hornet, I myself seldom drink alcohol in any form, but I definitely will support and vote for liquor and marijuana legalization. Thanks for listening.
I appreciate your post...Now to make a couple of points.
High horse? No..I know what the word of God says,and will vote against alcohol,and marijuana..If a person or government follows Gods principles,God will take care of them,and will provide.Yes,allowing those things in the county will provide more tax money,but I have no doubt it will increase crimes in this county.More DUI's etc.,and the people of Fentress county will have to house these people in jail,and feed them,and take care of all their medical needs.Also more wrecks will occur,and people will get hurt or injured.Also more violent crimes will happen..If just one person more gets hurt or killed because of it is one more too many..I will vote against it..I believe this area is conservative enough to vote against it also,and if it ever happens here,it will be decades away,if ever.Have a nice day.
frogmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Nov 24, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
Buy me a drink also?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
best guitar players (Oct '09) 7 hr musicman96 50
Jeb Bush for President - No Thanks 7 hr What- me worry 32
Maried Pall Mall man hooking up with internet guys 18 hr Farmer Joe 125
Ebola in the U.S.A. / Blame the Federal Govt. 21 hr dollop 169
Mohammedan - Facts of Life % (Nov '12) 21 hr dollop 90
Presidential Executive Orders are ILLEGAL! All ... (Nov '10) 21 hr dollop 43
Looking for Sellout Republicans (Apr '13) 22 hr dollop 25
Jamestown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jamestown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jamestown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jamestown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Complete Thursday Night Preview
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak