Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#104 Apr 26, 2009
SWM...Here are some quotes from some very "Smart" scientists.
Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): "A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question." (2)
George Ellis (British astrophysicist): "Amazing fine tuning occurs in the laws that make this [complexity] possible. Realization of the complexity of what is accomplished makes it very difficult not to use the word 'miraculous' without taking a stand as to the ontological status of the word." (3)
Paul Davies (British astrophysicist): "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming".(4)
Paul Davies: "The laws [of physics]... seem to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design... The universe must have a purpose".(5)
Alan Sandage (winner of the Crawford prize in astronomy): "I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing." (6)
John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.... If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in." (7)
George Greenstein (astronomer): "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?" (8)
Arthur Eddington (astrophysicist): "The idea of a universal mind or Logos would be, I think, a fairly plausible inference from the present state of scientific theory." (9)

Location hidden

#105 Apr 26, 2009
Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics): "Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan." (10)
Roger Penrose (mathematician and author): "I would say the universe has a purpose. It's not there just somehow by chance." (11)
Tony Rothman (physicist): "When confronted with the order and beauty of the universe and the strange coincidences of nature, it's very tempting to take the leap of faith from science into religion. I am sure many physicists want to. I only wish they would admit it." (12)
Vera Kistiakowsky (MIT physicist): "The exquisite order displayed by our scientific understanding of the physical world calls for the divine." (13)
Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." (14)
Stephen Hawking (British astrophysicist): "Then we shall… be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God." (15)
Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics): "When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." (16) Note: Tipler since has actually converted to Christianity, hence his latest book, The Physics Of Christianity.
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/quot...
truth

Clinton, IA

#106 Apr 26, 2009
green hornet,you should stick with what the kjv says, and not what some commentary new junk says. I am curious, do you know what a strongs is? A bullinger companion bible?

Location hidden

#107 Apr 26, 2009
truth wrote:
green hornet,you should stick with what the kjv says, and not what some commentary new junk says. I am curious, do you know what a strongs is? A bullinger companion bible?
I have a Strongs Commentary and use it often but basically found that response that fit the meaning of that verse.I also use the KJV and feel it is the best.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

13:17-23 It is ill with those who had rather hear pleasing lies than unpleasing truths. The false prophetesses tried to make people secure, signified by laying them at ease, and to make them proud, signified by the finery laid on their heads. They shall be confounded in their attempts, and God's people shall be delivered out of their hands. It behoves Christians to keep close to the word of God, and in every thing to seek the teaching of the Holy Spirit. Let us so trust the promises of God as to keep his commandments.

SWM

Since: Aug 08

Jacksonville, FL

#108 Apr 26, 2009
Well there Mr Tennessee here is a web site for you: www.evilbible.com

Oh and by the way I resist classifying myself into your convenient categories.

Go watch Religulous by Bill Maher pal..open your mind a bit.

Location hidden

#109 Apr 26, 2009
SWM wrote:
Mine is open just like those people cited on posts #104 & 105.I'll be glad to be a bit similar to those people.

Location hidden

#110 Apr 26, 2009
SWM.....You hate being classified but do you believe there is a God at all?By the way,Bill Maher is not my cup of tea.
tnhillbilly

Cosby, TN

#111 Apr 27, 2009
SWM wrote:
It must really be an empty feeling to believe in Bill Maher.Why not just say you are an atheist and believe in nothing?If y ou spent half as much time trying to be a better person as you did trying to disprove the Bible you would be much better off.Mr. Maher may make you feel that you can do what you want without any consequences but he aint the One that is going to judge you.Death is coming to us all.Our souls are going somewhere and it is up to us as to where that is.Just where is your soul bound?Dont say Mr. Maher will handle it!Peace to those willing to fight for it.
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#112 Apr 27, 2009
truth wrote:
ezk.13:18-23 also applies to today
verse 20 tells what the prophecy or vission was.
People who teach people to fly away to save their souls. What do you think rapture is? They even made a song of it. God is against it. Nobodys flying away, Jesus is coming back to earth. You can't count Jesus resurection as a 2nd time. His earthly body was still on earth. Only his spirit is on Earth now. Both chapters tie in with the manmade rapture lie.
These scriptures have nothing to do with the rapture of the church. Ezekiel was a priest-prophet. His ministry was about false prophets being condemned. In verses 17-23, he is speaking about prophetesses and the magic they perform. They pillows refer symbolize magic that accompanies spells or incantations that are binding a person.
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#113 Apr 27, 2009
His ministry in Chapter 13 was about false prophets. Sorry, I did not make myself clear.
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#114 Apr 27, 2009
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
Ezekiel 13:20
Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
20. I am against your pillows-that is, against your lying ceremonial tricks by which ye cheat the people.
to make them fly-namely, into their snares, as fowlers disturb birds so as to be suddenly caught in the net spread for them. "Fly" is peculiarly appropriate as to those lofty spiritual flights to which they pretended to raise their dupes when they veiled their heads with kerchiefs and made them rest on luxurious arm-cushions (Eze 13:18).
let . souls go-"Ye make them fly" in order to destroy them; "I will let them go" in order to save them (Ps 91:3; Pr 6:5; Ho 9:8).
You explained this much better than I did. Thanks

Location hidden

#115 Apr 27, 2009
lady in the hills wrote:
<quoted text>You explained this much better than I did. Thanks
I think you did a great job and enjoyed your post.Kind of been hoping Mahjong would post on this.

SWM

Jacksonville, FL

#116 Apr 27, 2009
Y'all just keep on with your silly talk. Learned long time ago never to argue religion with folks because it gets really boring and nobody ever changes their mind so why bother.

Y'all are just repeating what you were taught as a child at a very young age and not thinking for yourselves.

Like a pope once said...'Give me a kid until he's 8 years old and I'll have em for the rest of his life'.

In the words of Dr Carl Sagan..We are all agnostics at heart because nobody really knows...'

With that I am outta here..Keep those Bibles thumpin....and talking in your goofy tongues..lol
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#117 Apr 27, 2009
SWM, I hate to disagree with you, but I am not repeating what I was taught as a child. It is only what I have read in the Bible and what the Lord has revealed through my study after becoming an adult. But, it is what I taught my children.

Location hidden

#118 Apr 27, 2009
"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the Earth at the right distance from the Sun to receive proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance." - Sir Isaac Newton

"Atheism is a disease of the soul before it becomes an error of understanding." - Plato[

"The atheists are for the most part imprudent and misguided scholars who reason badly who, not being able to understand the Creation, the origin of evil, and other difficulties, have recourse to the hypothesis the eternity of things and of inevitability."

"I gave in, and admitted that God was God." - ex-atheist C.S. Lewis, On relinquishing atheism at age 31 in 1929..

SWM...I actually have studied many books other than the Bible and found that science itself has proven to me that God exists.

* "An atheist is a man who believes himself an accident." — Francis Thompson.

Joseph Addison

* "To be an atheist requires an indefinitely greater measure of faith than to receive all the great truths which atheism would deny." - Joseph Addison, The Spectator, Mar. 8, 1711.
* "It is hard to see how a great man can be an atheist. Without the sustaining influence of faith in a divine power we could have little faith in ourselves. We need to feel that behind us is intelligence and love. Doubters do not achieve; skeptics do not contribute; cynics do not create. Faith is the great motive power, and no man realizes his full possibilities unless he has the deep conviction that life is eternally important, and that his work, well done, is a part of an unending plan." - Calvin Coolidge, speech, Jul. 25, 1924.

It is you,in my opinion,that does not have an open mind,and will never change his mind.I hope I am wrong.Truly..
Have a great day.....
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#119 Apr 28, 2009
When an atheist is in a death situation, he will always call on God! Don't you really wonder how often this happens?

SWM

Jacksonville, FL

#120 Apr 28, 2009
Whenever we see the words 'always' or 'never' in a post we can be sure there are very few brain cells behind the writing.

“....Only as sick as the Lie...”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#121 Apr 28, 2009
..one of my best friends was an atheist...years ago when i was younger...or so i thought...it took me years to understand that his anger was not about God...but it was about christians...being raised in the bible belt...i didnt realize the different schools of thought...i also dont think that the real atheist "always or never" come around to the beleive system that i have...i just assumed my friend was an atheist because he felt bitter towards christians..he had been thru some extreme childhood abuse...inside a loving christian home....i was wrong...i am still sometimes leary of christians...but it makes me draw closer to my creator...take my eyes off mortal man...
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#122 Apr 29, 2009
SWM wrote:
Whenever we see the words 'always' or 'never' in a post we can be sure there are very few brain cells behind the writing.
Ok, SWM,perhaps I should have not used the always or never words. Thank you for your kind words about my brain cells.LOL

“www.tntaxrevolt. org”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#123 Apr 29, 2009
I have met MANY atheists who were sorry, regretful, and troubled at the end of their lives, but I have never met anyone sorry or regretful for being a Christian when it come their time to die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump For President... ? (Jun '15) 13 min Roudy The Second 1,093
Rhonda smith 26 min Truth 15
whats up with all the poison sprayed under the ... (Aug '10) 1 hr strider 33
Should Jametown workers use truck to go home in 8 hr Cool mo gee 8
County executiive (Aug '15) 14 hr Tired 28
Anybody know anything about Shawn Choate? 17 hr broken2016 1
Chucky Cravens 18 hr Citizen 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jamestown Mortgages