First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#1 Sep 30, 2013
The government shutdown looks imminent. what is the opinion on this issue on this site. I have asked this question in a number of places and I get this answer from both sides and that is the other side is stupid.

I was told on another site that I needed to get my friends and family to vote and that I should use the internet. I was on the internet when I posted it so I thought I was using the internet. All my friends and family are registered to vote and we do not all agree.

So how do we get people to agree when they do not agree and are not willing to change their mind instead they want to have you change your mind.

Do we have any one who knows the answer to all this and what is the opinion on the shutdown. It looks like it is coming.

“100% American”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#2 Sep 30, 2013
Roudy The Second wrote:
The government shutdown looks imminent. what is the opinion on this issue on this site. I have asked this question in a number of places and I get this answer from both sides and that is the other side is stupid.
I was told on another site that I needed to get my friends and family to vote and that I should use the internet. I was on the internet when I posted it so I thought I was using the internet. All my friends and family are registered to vote and we do not all agree.
So how do we get people to agree when they do not agree and are not willing to change their mind instead they want to have you change your mind.
Do we have any one who knows the answer to all this and what is the opinion on the shutdown. It looks like it is coming.
I kinda like Mike Huckabee's thinkin' on the matter. He says the House should give the Dems everything they want, but ONLY for ONE YEAR. By election time 2014 the country will be so mad and fed up with Obamacare we can take back the Senate, keep the House, and repeal the whole stinkin' mess.

Location hidden

#3 Sep 30, 2013
Stray- Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
I kinda like Mike Huckabee's thinkin' on the matter. He says the House should give the Dems everything they want, but ONLY for ONE YEAR. By election time 2014 the country will be so mad and fed up with Obamacare we can take back the Senate, keep the House, and repeal the whole stinkin' mess.
Stray I agree with you. I think that if Obamacare is as great as we are told by its supporters it will be loved by all. However if it is not and does not meet the expectations of the majority. I will cost the Democrats the congress and WH. It will have to stand on its own merit. On the other hand a government shutdown will be felt around the world immediately. It is already effecting the stock and bond markets, wait until it hits everything and it will because like it or not at this point the government has its hand in just about everything and the dollar is backed only by the government. So I see shutting it down as a method to stall Obamacare as a bad strategy.

President Obama is not going to sign a bill that un-funds this program and the Republicans do not have the two thirds majority to over ride a veto. That is reality. They cannot stop it from happening at this point. The only way is to win back the congress and WH. I believe the repercussions from shutting down the government will prevent that from happening and it will not stop this law from taking effect.
woodchuck

Jamestown, TN

#4 Sep 30, 2013
this country needs to go bellie up.We are in deep sh-t.They are spending to much money

“100% American”

Location hidden

#5 Sep 30, 2013
woodchuck wrote:
this country needs to go bellie up.We are in deep sh-t.They are spending to much money
That's the reason we must vote in some good conservative Patriots. Don't give up the ship, join the fight.

Location hidden

#6 Sep 30, 2013
woodchuck wrote:
I think you are going to get your wish, because we are going to have a shut down.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#7 Sep 30, 2013
Roudy The Second wrote:
<quoted text>Stray I agree with you. I think that if Obamacare is as great as we are told by its supporters it will be loved by all. However if it is not and does not meet the expectations of the majority. I will cost the Democrats the congress and WH. It will have to stand on its own merit. On the other hand a government shutdown will be felt around the world immediately. It is already effecting the stock and bond markets, wait until it hits everything and it will because like it or not at this point the government has its hand in just about everything and the dollar is backed only by the government. So I see shutting it down as a method to stall Obamacare as a bad strategy.
President Obama is not going to sign a bill that un-funds this program and the Republicans do not have the two thirds majority to over ride a veto. That is reality. They cannot stop it from happening at this point. The only way is to win back the congress and WH. I believe the repercussions from shutting down the government will prevent that from happening and it will not stop this law from taking effect.
I understand what you are saying,but repealing something once it is instituted is extremely hard..I do not want the government shut down but with the Senate and Obama not willing to negotiate what do we do?

Location hidden

#8 Sep 30, 2013
Here is an update on the expected shutdown.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24385...

Here is another article on it and most of the commenters on it say they are going to vote out the conservatives in 2016. I do not understand how they can do that because they do not live in areas where the majority of the conservative senators and Rep reside. In any case you can read their point of view. In fact the majority of the people around here do not like Obama Care and they cannot get a local liberal elected yet they seem to think they can influence the entire country.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/lawma...

In any case it is fodder for discussion.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#9 Sep 30, 2013
Roudy The Second wrote:
Here is an update on the expected shutdown.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-24385...
Here is another article on it and most of the commenters on it say they are going to vote out the conservatives in 2016. I do not understand how they can do that because they do not live in areas where the majority of the conservative senators and Rep reside. In any case you can read their point of view. In fact the majority of the people around here do not like Obama Care and they cannot get a local liberal elected yet they seem to think they can influence the entire country.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/lawma...
In any case it is fodder for discussion.
Most are already voting liberal as it is..They may be able to come up with more money to help pay for liberals campaigns but they already vote liberal.It will be interesting how the majority of the true independents feel about this.It is the liberals and Obama that is not willing to negotiate.

“100% American”

Location hidden

#10 Sep 30, 2013
“If there’s a government shut down, who will spy on me, waste my money and have contempt for me?”

We could add so much more to this list, friends. For example, if the government shuts down, who will:

block responsible resource development
borrow more money from foreign countries to give to foreign countries
mortgage my kids’ future to bail out their friends on Wall Street & finance their big government crony capitalism
“misplace” IRS receipts and ledgers to the tune of tens of millions
stockpile ammo at DHS
commandeer pro athletes to testify in front of Congress while watching bureaucrats plead the Fifth

Location hidden

#11 Sep 30, 2013
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
Most are already voting liberal as it is..They may be able to come up with more money to help pay for liberals campaigns but they already vote liberal.It will be interesting how the majority of the true independents feel about this.It is the liberals and Obama that is not willing to negotiate.
I do not think anybody will give on anything until we are in shutdown. Then what they will do will depend on public reaction.
You make a good point on the Independents because a lot of people are not following this and have not given any thought as to how it will effect them. I don`t see what anybody can do at this point either way. The place that is really going to be hit is DC.I have been expecting it and we are prepared for whatever comes down. I would not be surprised if we don`t have some riots in the big cities if it is down very long.
woodchuck

Jamestown, TN

#12 Sep 30, 2013
BamBam wants this country to close down. He will look like a king cause the rub. did it.This is the only way to get out of debt.

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#13 Oct 1, 2013
Stray- Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the reason we must vote in some good conservative Patriots. Don't give up the ship, join the fight.
His complaint is over spending, your "solution" is to vote in the people who increase spend and decrease revenue.

Typical Conservative thinking.

You party is full of child who want rules that apply only to others and run up bills they never intend to pay.

This Government shutdown is yet another example of the Tea Party acting like terrorists.

Valley Village, CA

#14 Oct 1, 2013
Roudy The Second wrote:
<quoted text>Stray I agree with you. I think that if Obamacare is as great as we are told by its supporters it will be loved by all. However if it is not and does not meet the expectations of the majority. I will cost the Democrats the congress and WH. It will have to stand on its own merit.
Roudy, do you have the HONESTY to admit this:

Republicans want to make sure it fails REGARDLESS of whether or not it's good.

Republican legislatures have BANNED their citizens from having ACCESS to _INFORMATION_ about Obamacare.

They complain that "it's confusing" and then, LITERALLY, make it illegal for people to explain it.

Can you find a SINGLE RATIONAL REASON that citizens should be denied _INFORMATION_ about a new law?

Valley Village, CA

#15 Oct 1, 2013
Stray- Dog wrote:
For example, if the government shuts down, who will:
block responsible resource development
"Responsible" like what happened in the Gulf? Or in Alabama? Or in Texas? Or what's happening to farms in Penn?

_RESPONSIBLE_ resource development doesn't destroy the area that's being developed.

The only people blocking responsible resources are Republicans.
borrow more money from foreign countries to give to foreign countries
We don't borrow money from foreign countries. You clearly have NO IDEA how our economy works at all.
mortgage my kids’ future to bail out their friends on Wall Street & finance their big government crony capitalism
You don't have kids. If you did, they wouldn't have a future to mortgage.

Further, it was THE TWO FRIGGIN' WARS started by the Republicans that put us in the debt we are in. The "bailout" has actually _GENERATED_ income for the Government. Those loans have been paid back with interest AHEAD of schedule.

How much money have we gotten back from Iraq?
“misplace” IRS receipts and ledgers to the tune of tens of millions
300 MILLION people filing taxes every year. Another 250 million businesses. Each of them with countless amounts of paperwork.

Do you have all your supermarket receipts from 1998? No? Then STFU.
stockpile ammo at DHS
You don't get to complain about waste AND about efficiency. It's either/or. The DHS supplies ammo and training for HUNDREDS of different organizations. They go through ammo like a fat guy through nachos.
commandeer pro athletes to testify in front of Congress while watching bureaucrats plead the Fifth
As opposed to lie about how a pro-athlete died in order to drum up support for an unpopular war.

Seriously Stay, if you didn't have hypocrisy, you'd have nothing.

If you do have kids, please kill them and then yourself.

Location hidden

#16 Oct 1, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Roudy, do you have the HONESTY to admit this:
Republicans want to make sure it fails REGARDLESS of whether or not it's good.
Republican legislatures have BANNED their citizens from having ACCESS to _INFORMATION_ about Obamacare.
They complain that "it's confusing" and then, LITERALLY, make it illegal for people to explain it.
Can you find a SINGLE RATIONAL REASON that citizens should be denied _INFORMATION_ about a new law?
I got the nerve to say this. First I feel the shut down is not a good tactic, not that I agree with Obamacare. I believe it is too late to stop it from going into place and that it will stand or fall in the market on its own merit. I believe once in place and people start using it they will find it not up to their expectations and will fail. It may destroy what is left of the country first, that remains to be seen.

In the day of the internet it is impossible to prevent or block information on the scale of Obamacare. So no ,I do not believe the Republicans are capable of blocking the information on it.

I personally am as prepared as any citizen can be for what may come out of this and I do think we got big problems ahead. This is just the beginning. How prepared are you?

I think if it is not resolved soon we are going to see some major financial disruptions in the markets, bankruptcies, especially in Ca., riots in the larger cities and perhaps worse. San Francisco is already feeling the pain. With the National Parks closing, the tourist industry is going to be hit hard. People doing contract work with the and for the government will not be paid, this will cause them big problems and we will see layoffs. I am not sure how the shut down will effect unemployment insurance but it will be hard to get new claims processed, same with new retirees. I think LA will erupt into chaos are you ready?

This has not turned me into a democrat and it won`t.

However this is what is going to be roaming the streets if things go down the tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
groucho marxist

Jamestown, TN

#17 Oct 1, 2013
bad strategy for the gop. they knew that there would be no forcing this through, they had to know that. i know at least a few people in washington have some wits about them, though they're usually the ones who keep quietest.

the only way the democrats could reach an agreement with the gop was through total capitulation to all the republicans' demands. that's not negotiation; that's extortion.

the only thing the republicans will gain from this fiasco is lost seats in the house next year. maybe even losing the white house in 2016, but we'll see about that; america has a very short memory these days.
groucho marxist

Jamestown, TN

#18 Oct 1, 2013
i will further add, i always said the tea party was one of the worst things to happen to this country. well, conservatives, this is what you wanted, right? these are the tea party conservatives you voted into the house. and this government shutdown is just exactly the kind of thing that comes from zero compromise on unrealistic goals.

“100% American”

Location hidden

#19 Oct 1, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Responsible" like what happened in the Gulf? Or in Alabama? Or in Texas? Or what's happening to farms in Penn?
_RESPONSIBLE_ resource development doesn't destroy the area that's being developed.
The only people blocking responsible resources are Republicans.
<quoted text>
We don't borrow money from foreign countries. You clearly have NO IDEA how our economy works at all.
<quoted text>
You don't have kids. If you did, they wouldn't have a future to mortgage.
Further, it was THE TWO FRIGGIN' WARS started by the Republicans that put us in the debt we are in. The "bailout" has actually _GENERATED_ income for the Government. Those loans have been paid back with interest AHEAD of schedule.
How much money have we gotten back from Iraq?
<quoted text>
300 MILLION people filing taxes every year. Another 250 million businesses. Each of them with countless amounts of paperwork.
Do you have all your supermarket receipts from 1998? No? Then STFU.
<quoted text>
You don't get to complain about waste AND about efficiency. It's either/or. The DHS supplies ammo and training for HUNDREDS of different organizations. They go through ammo like a fat guy through nachos.
<quoted text>
As opposed to lie about how a pro-athlete died in order to drum up support for an unpopular war.
Seriously Stay, if you didn't have hypocrisy, you'd have nothing.
If you do have kids, please kill them and then yourself.
Seriously Nuggy, this is one of the dumbest posts you have ever made, and that is sayin' something. None of your statements have any merit and I am not gonna lower myself by responding to them. Go get yourself a big dose of Ex-lax.

Location hidden

#20 Oct 1, 2013
I discussed this with a number of people today. We really are not players because u location. However I did talk two a few who said they were active members of the Tea Part and they have no intentions backing off. They were not from here but from the district further north and their Rep is a Tea Party congressman.

They want to part of Obamacare and are not concerned about a government shut down. In fact they are trying to secede from the state.

If nothing gives I see the whole government going down, it is more than Obamacare. The liberals have pushed a lot of people as far as they are going to be pushed. We are going to have more trouble and I don`t see this ending soon.

If the Democrats don`t want to give on anything then we are going see it get worse before it is over. I do not see any sign that the Tea Party is going to back off.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/G...

This article does not provide info that be of interest, since it is of the local agencies but you can get a feel for the tension in the area over this from the comments.
http://www.appeal-democrat.com/articles/yuba-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jamestown, TN. Veterinary Service (Aug '08) 32 min need to know 53
Heather Defoor 2 hr Mechanic_45 6
Hillary Clinton has to be the grouchiest lookin... 4 hr Stray- Dog 17
A Foreshadowing Of Life Under The Anti-christ -... 5 hr Mechanic_45 3
Trans Pacific Partnership, You WiLL be JOBLESS (Aug '12) Fri dollop 15
Caney Creek Fri Julia 3
Hitlary Clinton for President (Aug '13) Fri Julia 269
More from around the web

Jamestown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE