Let Them Work

Jamestown, TN

#263 Sep 22, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's ridiculous. They may have done something wrong but they still deserve humane treatment.
First of all, what is wrong with working???? That is probabaly one of the reasons they are in jail anyway, they wont work, they steal and take drugs and drive and drink. They should have to work, you know they say, when you play you have to pay, let 'em pay. The harder they work the better they will sleep at night and wont be getting into more fights!!!!!
lady in the hills

Jamestown, TN

#264 Oct 3, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Inmates have rights, too. They should refuse to work.
This is the problem, they have toooooo many rights. They should loose all rights except the bare minimum!
Taxpayer

Jamestown, TN

#265 Oct 3, 2011
lady in the hills wrote:
<quoted text>This is the problem, they have toooooo many rights. They should loose all rights except the bare minimum!
One of their rights is the right to work, they don't need that right. To the inmates, that is freedom from the jail cell. A chance to socialize, be outside, have some freedom and others that I'm sure we don't realize. Keep them in their cells. Why do you think some prisons have solitary confinement? It is further punishment.
mememememe

Jamestown, TN

#266 Oct 3, 2011
if the new jc is to be built why should the tax payer pay for them to watch tv. lay around all day. they are in jail to do time for the crime. why should they be treated like they are in a high priced hotel. i mean . if that is the case they are going to keep doing the crime cause they have it made in jail. free tv. don't have to work. they still sponge of the tax payer. if they are big enough to do the crime then they don't need to lay on their ass in jail with free tv. and yeah they have to eat and shower but i dont feel that they need anything special tv should not be allowed to them. i mean come on......
Taxpayer

Jamestown, TN

#267 Oct 3, 2011
mememememe wrote:
if the new jc is to be built why should the tax payer pay for them to watch tv. lay around all day. they are in jail to do time for the crime. why should they be treated like they are in a high priced hotel. i mean . if that is the case they are going to keep doing the crime cause they have it made in jail. free tv. don't have to work. they still sponge of the tax payer. if they are big enough to do the crime then they don't need to lay on their ass in jail with free tv. and yeah they have to eat and shower but i dont feel that they need anything special tv should not be allowed to them. i mean come on......
I agree. They should not have tv or other luxuries. It should be boring. They should not want to be there. The old jail and the new should provide the bare minimum, bed, toilet and food. It's supposed to be punishment for the crime, not a vacation.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#268 Feb 14, 2012
Looks like more people will be in jail and for a longer period of time,and the counties will bear a good part of the financial burden..

NASHVILLE - A proposal to crackdown on domestic violence is advancing in the Senate despite its financial impact on local governments.

The measure, which is an administration bill, passed the Senate Judiciary Committee 7-0 on Tuesday.

It adds fines and jail time for second and subsequent convictions of domestic assault. The cost to local governments would be over $8 million because those convicted would serve their time in local jails.

Republican Sen. Doug Overbey of Maryville, who is carrying the bill, said Gov. Bill Haslam has appropriated close to $800,000 in his budget for the legislation.

Overbey said he's spoken with the administration and hopes to find ways to lessen the impact on local governments.

The companion bill is awaiting a vote in the House Judiciary Committee.

http://www.wate.com/story/16937365/bill-to-cr...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#269 Feb 14, 2012
GH my boy, you always know how to find that silver lining on every dark cloud. Wink, wink.

Location hidden

#270 Nov 22, 2012
KNOXVILLE (WATE)- As the Knox County Detention Center edges closer to maximum capacity, threat of a federal lawsuit has spurred new discussion about building a new jail in the county.

The Maloneyville Rd. detention facility currently has 1,005 inmates for 1,036 beds on Monday.

Knox County Sheriff J.J. Jones told county leaders the county must find a way to remedy the problem.

As a result of a 1987 lawsuit, a federal court order was put in place to address overcrowding at the downtown Knox County Jail.

The current population is just 24 inmates away from reaching that cap. If it's reached, a federal court could sue the county.

http://www.wate.com/story/20160602/knox-count...
otc

Jamestown, TN

#271 Nov 22, 2012
sorry to hear about knox county problems, maybe the green thing could load himself up, take the famous ten with him to knox and help cure their situtation law suits seems to be top priority for him

Location hidden

#272 Nov 22, 2012
otc wrote:
sorry to hear about knox county problems, maybe the green thing could load himself up, take the famous ten with him to knox and help cure their situtation law suits seems to be top priority for him
Or maybe the Federal Judge can load himself up,and order a much bigger facility...

Location hidden

#273 Nov 22, 2012
otc wrote:
You seem to miss the point..If the CC's did not decide to build,a Federal Judge would have gotten involved..Would have not been very pretty at all..The CC's had no choice..They knew what was coming if they did not.
otc

Jamestown, TN

#275 Nov 22, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
KNOXVILLE (WATE)- As the Knox County Detention Center edges closer to maximum capacity, threat of a federal lawsuit has spurred new discussion about building a new jail in the county.
The Maloneyville Rd. detention facility currently has 1,005 inmates for 1,036 beds on Monday.
Knox County Sheriff J.J. Jones told county leaders the county must find a way to remedy the problem.
As a result of a 1987 lawsuit, a federal court order was put in place to address overcrowding at the downtown Knox County Jail.
The current population is just 24 inmates away from reaching that cap. If it's reached, a federal court could sue the county.
http://www.wate.com/story/20160602/knox-count...
trip to knoxville is definately in order the green thing is worried now be sure to mention space for voice of hope , the federal judge may not no this part of taxpayers financing like the famous ten
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#276 Nov 22, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to miss the point..If the CC's did not decide to build,a Federal Judge would have gotten involved..Would have not been very pretty at all..The CC's had no choice..They knew what was coming if they did not.
And this is EXACTLY where we will be when the CE and CCs build a JC/Correctional Facility that is TOO SMALL the day it is opened! We'll be facing this same thing in less than 10 years, with 30 years left to pay for it, then what?!!?

Location hidden

#277 Nov 22, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is EXACTLY where we will be when the CE and CCs build a JC/Correctional Facility that is TOO SMALL the day it is opened! We'll be facing this same thing in less than 10 years, with 30 years left to pay for it, then what?!!?
As I have stated before,I expressed my views quite awhile ago,and stated that we needed a fairly big facility..Build it in such a way that part of it could be shut down and blocked off when not in use..They listened to me some,because the original thought would be to build a facility smaller than they are now..Be careful Joker,or some of the other naysayers on here will consider you a radical..Many do not want anything built,much less a bigger facility.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#278 Nov 23, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have stated before,I expressed my views quite awhile ago,and stated that we needed a fairly big facility..Build it in such a way that part of it could be shut down and blocked off when not in use..They listened to me some,because the original thought would be to build a facility smaller than they are now..Be careful Joker,or some of the other naysayers on here will consider you a radical..Many do not want anything built,much less a bigger facility.
You didn't answer my question; in 10 years when we are out of room and have 30 years left on the mortgage ...... THEN WHAT?!?
I am asking now am tellin

Jamestown, TN

#279 Nov 23, 2012
joker, the new facility is expandable, instead of 2 beds per cell, can add bunkbeds for 3 or 4 per cell, almost doubling capacity as needed.... notice I said COULD, plus there are other options. 150 could become 225 or 300 , again COULD.

Location hidden

#280 Nov 23, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't answer my question; in 10 years when we are out of room and have 30 years left on the mortgage ...... THEN WHAT?!?
As the poster just above me stated,they did plan to expand with very little cost in doing so..Do not know how much it can be expanded with very little cost though.I know they can house over 200 with no problem.They also are building with the knowledge that in the future they will have to add on..With them planning ahead on the design,it will keep the cost down when they need to build..They left plenty of room to expand on the building..They are not land locked,like the present jail is.
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#281 Nov 23, 2012
I am asking now am tellin wrote:
joker, the new facility is expandable, instead of 2 beds per cell, can add bunkbeds for 3 or 4 per cell, almost doubling capacity as needed.... notice I said COULD, plus there are other options. 150 could become 225 or 300 , again COULD.
Is that "legal" ? Isn't each inmate entitle to "X" amount of square feet per person? How does/will this effect this civil right of each inmate if you double up the beds in each cell?
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#282 Nov 23, 2012
Green Hornet 007 wrote:
<quoted text>
As the poster just above me stated,they did plan to expand with very little cost in doing so..Do not know how much it can be expanded with very little cost though.I know they can house over 200 with no problem.They also are building with the knowledge that in the future they will have to add on..With them planning ahead on the design,it will keep the cost down when they need to build..They left plenty of room to expand on the building..They are not land locked,like the present jail is.
So what you are saying is that, when the time comes; THE TAXPAYER WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR ANOTHER TAX INCREASE IN ORDER FOR ANOTHER PORTION OF THE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY TO BE BUILT WHEN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT THE RIGHT WAY TO BEGIN WITH?!?

There's some forward thinking for you! A 40 year loan will be extended for another 20-30 years [for the addition] making it a 70 year loan. Why don't/didn't they [CE/CCs] just do it right to begin with? Your kids, my kids, and their kids and grandchildren will be paying for this major screw up!!

This is a fine example of piss poor planning and lack of forethought!!
Joker

Jamestown, TN

#283 Nov 23, 2012
I am asking now am tellin wrote:
I looked it up; for a new facility; each inmate is REQUIRED to have 40 square feet in a multi-occupancy cell (50sf single occupancy); per inmate.

So, with 4 beds per cell; that's a 200 square foot cell needed to meet the State law requirement. That's a pretty big cell to start out with (2 beds) with the option to upgrade to 4 "as needed".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bionic Arm Delivered By 'Iron Man" 2 hr Green Hornet 007 2
The obama Legacy Of Failure 5 hr Green Hornet 007 18
Evolution in action (Nov '08) 7 hr Mechanic_45 1,110
county court clerk girl? no bashing just curios. 12 hr Jim 7
Looking 12 hr who 1
Car for sale!! 16 hr ChevyFn 1
Billy Idol: For Psychic People to hit Lotto 19 hr Time Traveler 15
Jamestown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web