elementary basketball
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
work together

Jamestown, TN

#1 Feb 8, 2008
With all that is going on with elementary basketball-- how do you feel about the TSSAA?

Let's stand by our children and show them fairness. If we make our school board members and Mike Jones join the TSSA, then all rules and decisions will be through the TSSAA. Did I mention that coaches, refs, and school faculty involved with elementary attend meeting to enforce the rules. Did I also mention tha drug testing in coache, refs, and players could be possible. Would that not be for the better for the kids? If you have a complaint with a coach, player or ref- just file a complaint on the TSSAA web site. You can go to their web site and see all the rues. The refs would probaby be from out of townh- how refreshing.

Let's clean up elemtary basketball before next season--call your school board members and Mike Jones office and DEMAND THE TSSA.

If you need more information on the TSSAA, go to their webste.
concernedaunt

Columbia, SC

#2 Feb 8, 2008
I totally agree with you 100%. Everyone needs to go to the website and complain. Having local refs to call the games is nothing but trouble and heartache for the players and only the players. If we had out-of-town refs---the calls would be better due to nobody knowing them and they do not know anyone involved in the game.

How is the best way to get this done?
concernedaunt

Columbia, SC

#3 Feb 8, 2008
How long does it take to hear back from TSSAA after you have filed a complaint?

Since: Mar 07

Norway, SC

#4 Feb 8, 2008
I too agree that this is a good idea. It has been mentioned in the past couple of years but nothing has ever come of it.

You can get the list of the school board members and their addresses at the Board of Education building. However their phone numbers are respectfully not given out.
Junior

Allardt, TN

#5 Feb 10, 2008
Thats fine if you don't want local refs, The problem is you have no clue what goes into T.S.S.A.A. If you did get in T.S.S.A.A. you would still probaly get jamestown refs because 3 of them already belong to the T.S.S.A.A. The guy that would probaly be handling the refs, who handles putnam co. which all those elem. schools is in the T.S.S.A.A. barely has enough officials to cover the games they have. Alot of nites he has to use only 1 ref at a game because he doesnt have enought refs. You have to belong to the T.S.S.A.A. to ref T.S.S.A.A. sporting events.

John Black on Days

Zephyrhills, FL

#6 Feb 10, 2008
Are you all telling me that it has got so bad in Fentress county that you all are wanting to drug test the elem. ball players.Aren't there ages from about 10 to 14?I can see why most other county boards is no longer funding elem. sports.It has got way out of hand and drug testing is not cheep.I don't know if you got bad ref's and coach's or not, but tssaa ref's will not be cheep . If it has got that bad I would ask the Clarkrange alumni club or jamestown quarterback club to furnish the ref's and maybe they would use the money for there clubs.If you all get it cut out it be hard for the county comm. to let a jr. pro or police league to use any gyms due to liabilty.I would call a meeting if I was Mike Jones alright and I would look into it and see if it is that bad.If not I would recomend that the games be played during the daytime so no parents could come or just tell them the best thing to do is just cut it out.I bet the kids would not care one bit to put up with the ref's in the daytime and rather play in front of peers.
Huh

Norway, SC

#7 Feb 11, 2008
The kids have played a couple of day games due to weather cancellations, and they loved it! It was a special treat for their peers who don't have a way to attend the other games.
There is plenty of time for the evening games when they get to High School. I'd rather see elementary kids play during the day with their schoolmates. It changes the dynamics from high-pressure to fun.
Hearing the much-younger kids cheering them on is more healthy than hearing their parents vicariously re-living their glory days.
Hoosier

Rowesville, SC

#8 Feb 11, 2008
I would rather have my kids doing what they are supposed to do while at school....Learning and being taught!

Sports is an extra-curricular activity, which means outside of the time they are to be taught.

Instead of griping about how poor the coaching and officiating is, how about getting off your rears and offering to help out. There are alot of people who want to sit back and pick everything apart and very, very few who try to help the situation.

How many of the people complaining on here are currently helping out? Not just coaching or refereeing games, but maybe working the concessions or taking admission money? Few if any.

Its easy to piss and moan when that is all you have to do with the process.
Lucky You

Buffalo Valley, TN

#9 Feb 11, 2008
I agree with you to a point. However, I think a day game (maybe 1 a year) is fine. It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want all of them to be day games though. I went to a day game this year and the kids seemed to really enjoy it (students & ballplayers/cheerleaders). The sad thing is, this is the only game the majority of students see all year.

Don't know about where you're from, but isn't it usually teachers taking up money & doing concessions? I think they're required to help otu so many times.
Hoosier

Rowesville, SC

#10 Feb 11, 2008
I agree one game a season would probably be good for all parties involved.

I may have not been very clear about the taking up money and other stuff. I know that most of the people that do those things to help out (concessions, etc.) are not teachers. My point was that the majority (if not all) who are on here griping are not doing any of those things or trying to help out in any way, shape or form.

Norway, SC

#11 Feb 11, 2008
Hoosier wrote:
I agree one game a season would probably be good for all parties involved.
I may have not been very clear about the taking up money and other stuff. I know that most of the people that do those things to help out (concessions, etc.) are not teachers. My point was that the majority (if not all) who are on here griping are not doing any of those things or trying to help out in any way, shape or form.
That is also true, I have worked the concession stands myself...Even have pictures of me doing so ...although they aren't very flattering ones. The last one I helped at was the BSF tournament at PH. Although I will admit...since I started working last July, and with all the other personal issues that has struck my family here at home since this past Oct., I have not helped any this season. But I do plan to help with the 8th grade graduation after parties as I did last year. Two in fact. One at the skating rink and one at "The Door". BTW...we need to start planning that parents, it is going to sneak up on us before we know it.
Lucky You

Buffalo Valley, TN

#12 Feb 11, 2008
Oh, I agree with you about griping but not doing anything. I'm not sure if we're together on the concessions/money. At the school I'm referring to, parents do NOT take up money or do concessions. I wasn't sure if you meant these are or are not teachers. I'm sure each school does things differently. There are a few parents that I would not want handling the things I eat!

Norway, SC

#13 Feb 11, 2008
I thought that at all the schools ballgames it was the teachers from the schools who run the concessions and take the money. I know that is the case at our school.

The BSF tournament I mentioned that the parents did help out on was the first time that I knew of them doing so. But I beleive it was done that way to raise money for the ball teams equipment. I don't know for sure...I just remember the School officials asking if I would volunteer and I did. Actually enjoyed it too.
Hoosier

Rowesville, SC

#14 Feb 11, 2008
I am not certain, but I think the PTO may help out at some of the schools. Not sure tho.
old school

AOL

#15 Feb 11, 2008
You talk about ball games during the school day, when I was in elementary school way back when, we always had day games. We played on Friday afternoons. You did not see none of the things happening then that are happening now. We made friends on those days with kids from other schools. I do not think it took that much away from our education. It was just part of our gym classes. We practiced certain days during recess. Most kids parents were so poor that they could not do the after school practices and games. Those were some good memories for me wish these kids that are mentioned on here could feel that way.
from the South

Columbia, SC

#16 Feb 11, 2008
At most schools, it is the teachers who work the door and concession stand. They are required to do so, but they don't get paid for it.

Since: Feb 08

Rowesville, SC

#17 Feb 11, 2008
I watch and listen wrote:
I thought that at all the schools ballgames it was the teachers from the schools who run the concessions and take the money. I know that is the case at our school.
The BSF tournament I mentioned that the parents did help out on was the first time that I knew of them doing so. But I beleive it was done that way to raise money for the ball teams equipment. I don't know for sure...I just remember the School officials asking if I would volunteer and I did. Actually enjoyed it too.
at our school the money from door and con. goes into a general fund not a sports fund i think thats why parents dont help, we spend so much on everything else to let the kids play and no help. from what i understand we have to pay for bus and driver to go to games not sure though

Norway, SC

#18 Feb 12, 2008
clarkrange wrote:
<quoted text>at our school the money from door and con. goes into a general fund not a sports fund i think thats why parents dont help, we spend so much on everything else to let the kids play and no help. from what i understand we have to pay for bus and driver to go to games not sure though
Tell me about the money issue...lordy I have three children who have all been involved in either basketball or cheerleading, and it is hard budgeting those expenses in with everything else. Another reason I took a minimum wage job last July knowing the expense the new School year was going to bring. And now that I have one in High School...lordy...she has cost me a fortune as well. But to me it's worth it...keep them involved in things, they are more likely to stay out of trouble.
Hoosier

Rowesville, SC

#19 Feb 12, 2008
Which Asberry hit the winning 3? Was it Blake?
LOL

Buffalo Valley, TN

#20 Feb 12, 2008
LOL...wrong Asberrys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Favorite Religious Leaders 17 min Green Hornet 007 72
How America Lost the War on Drugs 3 hr Mechanic_45 322
April buck, Robert Densmore dealing at perdue f... (Jul '16) 3 hr Worker 5
Trump Common Man 4 hr tax the poor 1
Unpopular Opinion: Women shouldn't be preachers. 4 hr tax the poor 262
Hamby 5 hr Mechanic_45 49
scott norris (Jan '15) 22 hr POPUS 33

Jamestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance