Tail Of The Dragon
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#1 Mar 3, 2012
Check this road out.I never heard of it before but it is some road.

&fe ature=player_embedded
lacey

Sparta, TN

#2 Mar 3, 2012
I've been on that road. Most of the semis drive just like that too! Too many bad curves for them to even be on that road.
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#3 Mar 4, 2012
lacey wrote:
I've been on that road. Most of the semis drive just like that too! Too many bad curves for them to even be on that road.
I wonder why they don`t ban semis on it? Looks like a death trap to me.

“Heritage Not Hate”

Since: Feb 08

Jamestown

#4 Mar 4, 2012
Roudy wrote:
Check this road out.I never heard of it before but it is some road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =K16YnmJN0fcXX&feature=pla yer_embedded
318 curves in 11 miles..... It's one heck of a ride! The Dragon is just inside Tennessee on US 129. It's a great ride on a bike or in a car!
Timbuk2

Crossville, TN

#5 Mar 4, 2012
OnMyRebelSoul wrote:
<quoted text>
318 curves in 11 miles..... It's one heck of a ride! The Dragon is just inside Tennessee on US 129. It's a great ride on a bike or in a car!
I watched the video, and it sounds like a Hollywood movie trailer for some death and destruction film. Actually, the Dragon kinda sucks now. It's become such a tourist and speed trap that you seriously can’t go over 30-40 mph on any nice weekend.

OTH, three years ago, I attended a BMW event in Asheville. I took my Gixxer 1000 with me on a trailer, so I could do the Dragon on the way home. On Sunday, I parked the Jeep and trailer in Robbinsville, NC, and unloaded the bike.

I didn’t realize how far it was from the actual Dragon, until I finally got to the TN line and Deals Gap. That’s when I realized I was at the BOTTOM of the mountain. This was mid-October, and I was amazed at the traffic.

I waited until there was a gap in the traffic, and started out. Unfortunately, I caught up with traffic in very short order. You can see sport bikes passing on curves in the video. While this is suicide on most roads, you really don’t have much choice on the dragon.

Not wanting to do that, I would slow down to a crawl and wait for traffic to catch up with me. Then I’d gun it and enjoy the road until I caught up with the slow pokes. Finally I got to a point where it was simply insane to pass.

Unfortunately, when you catch up to a really slow car or bike, and can’t pass, the traffic behind you also catches up, and they tailgate you. My tailgater was a 4-door BMW.

About ¾ of the way, there is an overlook, and the road hogs got off to “look.” I sped up to get away from my tailgater, but I still wasn’t going fast, because I was in unfamiliar territory.

I was finally enjoying the ride, but suddenly the curve turned lefter than I could. To my right was a VERY steep cliff, and I was headed right off it. I pulled in the brakes, and went off the road. The next thing I remember was saying “Of Sh@t”, and hearing gravel and rocks grinding against my right ear, through my full-face helmet. Momentum flipped me over and I actually landed on my feet.

I had no road rash, but my shoulder hurt like a bitch. The BMW stopped and rolled down their window and said asked if I was ok. Don’t’ get out and check, bitch. Some riders coming the other direction stopped to help.

The picked the bike up, which I could not do since my shoulder hurt real bad, and surprisingly the bike started right up, though it was missing some parts. My wallet, keys, etc., were all over the gound, but within 10 minutes I was back on, heading back to North Carolina.

Killboy had photos of me going up, and 20 minutes later coming back down, with fewer parts on the bike. I wanted to put some parts on the Tree of Shame, but I was too hurt to get off the bike and walk. I actually loaded it back onto the trailer myself.

I has already decided to go to the hospital, thinking I’d broken my clavicle, but the question was which direction. The most direct way was back up the Dragon, but after falling off, the cops were looking for a crash, and the other way was back over the Cherohala skyway. That added an hour to the drive.

I took the Cherohala. My shoulder was really hurting, so I decided to call my daughter to have dinner waiting so I could eat before going to the emergency room. I hadn’t charged my cell phone, the night before, and when she answered, I said “I had an accident”, and it went dead. Two hours later I pulled up to the house, and a VERY angry daughter, and a wife in FL who was beside herself.

X-rays showed no fractures. I fixed and sold the bike. That was 2 years ago, and now I only do the Dragon on 4 wheels.

Did I mention I’m 60 years old?

Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#6 Mar 5, 2012
Timbuk2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched the video, and it sounds like a Hollywood movie trailer for some death and destruction film. Actually, the Dragon kinda sucks now. It's become such a tourist and speed trap that you seriously can’t go over 30-40 mph on any nice weekend.
OTH, three years ago, I attended a BMW event in Asheville. I took my Gixxer 1000 with me on a trailer, so I could do the Dragon on the way home. On Sunday, I parked the Jeep and trailer in Robbinsville, NC, and unloaded the bike.
I didn’t realize how far it was from the actual Dragon, until I finally got to the TN line and Deals Gap. That’s when I realized I was at the BOTTOM of the mountain. This was mid-October, and I was amazed at the traffic.
I waited until there was a gap in the traffic, and started out. Unfortunately, I caught up with traffic in very short order. You can see sport bikes passing on curves in the video. While this is suicide on most roads, you really don’t have much choice on the dragon.
Not wanting to do that, I would slow down to a crawl and wait for traffic to catch up with me. Then I’d gun it and enjoy the road until I caught up with the slow pokes. Finally I got to a point where it was simply insane to pass.
Unfortunately, when you catch up to a really slow car or bike, and can’t pass, the traffic behind you also catches up, and they tailgate you. My tailgater was a 4-door BMW.
About ¾ of the way, there is an overlook, and the road hogs got off to “look.” I sped up to get away from my tailgater, but I still wasn’t going fast, because I was in unfamiliar territory.
I was finally enjoying the ride, but suddenly the curve turned lefter than I could. To my right was a VERY steep cliff, and I was headed right off it. I pulled in the brakes, and went off the road. The next thing I remember was saying “Of Sh@t”, and hearing gravel and rocks grinding against my right ear, through my full-face helmet. Momentum flipped me over and I actually landed on my feet.
I had no road rash, but my shoulder hurt like a bitch. The BMW stopped and rolled down their window and said asked if I was ok. Don’t’ get out and check, bitch. Some riders coming the other direction stopped to help.
The picked the bike up, which I could not do since my shoulder hurt real bad, and surprisingly the bike started right up, though it was missing some parts. My wallet, keys, etc., were all over the gound, but within 10 minutes I was back on, heading back to North Carolina.
Killboy had photos of me going up, and 20 minutes later coming back down, with fewer parts on the bike. I wanted to put some parts on the Tree of Shame, but I was too hurt to get off the bike and walk. I actually loaded it back onto the trailer myself.
I has already decided to go to the hospital, thinking I’d broken my clavicle, but the question was which direction. The most direct way was back up the Dragon, but after falling off, the cops were looking for a crash, and the other way was back over the Cherohala skyway. That added an hour to the drive.
I took the Cherohala. My shoulder was really hurting, so I decided to call my daughter to have dinner waiting so I could eat before going to the emergency room. I hadn’t charged my cell phone, the night before, and when she answered, I said “I had an accident”, and it went dead. Two hours later I pulled up to the house, and a VERY angry daughter, and a wife in FL who was beside herself.
X-rays showed no fractures. I fixed and sold the bike. That was 2 years ago, and now I only do the Dragon on 4 wheels.
Very interesting story.

“Heritage Not Hate”

Jamestown

#7 Mar 5, 2012
Timbuk2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a lot of fun before the days of the internet. I've seen traffic nearly bumper to bumper the whole way up and and down in recent years. I can remember when the posted speed limit was 55 back in the 80's! Now it's more of an 11 mile speed trap...
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#8 Mar 5, 2012
I wonder why the state does not make it a tourist attraction. Close it off at certain times and allow only motorcycles on it, charge a fee to ride it. I bet people would pour in from around the country ,maybe the world to ride it.
Reason I say this is, I have circulated this video to people from the Pacific Northwest to Florida and many have said they have rode it or are going too.

The road is not suitable for truck traffic or regular passenger vehicles ,just trying to get from point A to point be but would make a very good tourist attraction for bikers.

“Heritage Not Hate”

Jamestown

#9 Mar 5, 2012
Roudy wrote:
I wonder why the state does not make it a tourist attraction. Close it off at certain times and allow only motorcycles on it, charge a fee to ride it. I bet people would pour in from around the country ,maybe the world to ride it.
Reason I say this is, I have circulated this video to people from the Pacific Northwest to Florida and many have said they have rode it or are going too.
The road is not suitable for truck traffic or regular passenger vehicles ,just trying to get from point A to point be but would make a very good tourist attraction for bikers.
It already is. If you haven't ridden the Dragon then you just haven't ridden! If you own a bike, it is a right of passage!
Outside Looking In

Bonaire, GA

#10 Mar 5, 2012
It's already a tourist attraction, they just don't charge for it. It is dangerous with the sport bikes sharing lanes and the cars and trucks. I think one side,(TN or NC) has banned semi's from traveling it. The same thing could be built up on the road to Wilder, just need some publicity.
Or maybe the route from Jamestown, to Livingston, to Byrdstown, back to Jamestown. That's some of the best riding ever. Even have an empty store there at West Hills to use.
Timbuk2

Crossville, TN

#11 Mar 5, 2012
Outside Looking In wrote:
The same thing could be built up on the road to Wilder, just need some publicity.
Shhhhhh! That's my personal race track. I've done it hundreds of times and never saw another vehicle. Let's leave it that way.
Outside Looking In

Bonaire, GA

#12 Mar 5, 2012
Yea, it's as good as the Dragon's Tail. Maybe see you on the road at the end of May
Joker

Gainesboro, TN

#13 Mar 5, 2012
Actually the 35mph speed limit has been challenged in court and beat by a person who got a ticket for speeeding from a TN State Trooper..... something like doing 45 or something. Turns out, in order for the State or County to lower a speed limit lower than the State's 65mph speed limit, a study has to be done, a specific study, before it can "legally" be lowered below 65 on any stretch of road. This is true for all roads in the State. Also, since part of the Dragon is on Federal property, State Trooper's and any county policeman are NOT authorized to write citations on that (Federal) property anyway. The person beat them on two counts.

Not saying one should speed nor should they not get a ticket if they do, but the police should know when and where they are authorized to write them.
D Nater

United States

#14 Mar 26, 2012
Joker wrote:
Actually the 35mph speed limit has been challenged in court and beat by a person who got a ticket for speeeding from a TN State Trooper..... something like doing 45 or something. Turns out, in order for the State or County to lower a speed limit lower than the State's 65mph speed limit, a study has to be done, a specific study, before it can "legally" be lowered below 65 on any stretch of road. This is true for all roads in the State. Also, since part of the Dragon is on Federal property, State Trooper's and any county policeman are NOT authorized to write citations on that (Federal) property anyway. The person beat them on two counts.
Not saying one should speed nor should they not get a ticket if they do, but the police should know when and where they are authorized to write them.
That's me. The actual speed limit is 65 mph, according to TN Code, TDOT, USDOT, MUTCD, Blounty County prosecutor, Blount County court, TN Court of Criminal Appeals, TN Supreme Court and every driver in America:
http://dragonaters.blogspot.com/2011/03/court...

But of course, gangbangers with badges can murder you if you obey THE LAW. That's the beauty of a Police State...even cops riding bikes to work get murdered by the cops in Blount County.

"I’ll burn your house down, set your dog on fire and there won’t be a member of your family left, do you understand me? I won’t hire it done, I will do it myself! Do you understand me?”
-Blount County Dragon sheriff James Berrong firing his secretary in the Blount County Justice Center, United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, Nuchols v. Berrong, No. 04-5645, July 11, 2005
http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/05a0...

Ever hear of the Battle of Athens TN?
Joker

Gainesboro, TN

#15 Mar 26, 2012
D Nater wrote:
<quoted text>
That's me. The actual speed limit is 65 mph, according to TN Code, TDOT, USDOT, MUTCD, Blounty County prosecutor, Blount County court, TN Court of Criminal Appeals, TN Supreme Court and every driver in America:
http://dragonaters.blogspot.com/2011/03/court...
But of course, gangbangers with badges can murder you if you obey THE LAW. That's the beauty of a Police State...even cops riding bikes to work get murdered by the cops in Blount County.
"I’ll burn your house down, set your dog on fire and there won’t be a member of your family left, do you understand me? I won’t hire it done, I will do it myself! Do you understand me?”
-Blount County Dragon sheriff James Berrong firing his secretary in the Blount County Justice Center, United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, Nuchols v. Berrong, No. 04-5645, July 11, 2005
http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/05a0...
Ever hear of the Battle of Athens TN?
WOW!?!!?

No I haven't heard of the "Battle of Athens, TN" ?
Roudy

Yuba City, CA

#16 Mar 26, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!?!!?
No I haven't heard of the "Battle of Athens, TN" ?
Here is the story of the "Battle Of Athens".
http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Battle-...

It is a clear example of why we need the 2nd Amendment. It also shows that it was the Vets who stepped up and put their lives on the line one more time to restore democarcy in their hometown.These guys didn`t wait for the federal government or any outside help ,they dealt with it.
Joker

Gainesboro, TN

#17 Mar 26, 2012
Roudy wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the story of the "Battle Of Athens".
http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Battle-...
It is a clear example of why we need the 2nd Amendment. It also shows that it was the Vets who stepped up and put their lives on the line one more time to restore democarcy in their hometown.These guys didn`t wait for the federal government or any outside help ,they dealt with it.
Very, VERY interesting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wreckless school bus drivers 5 hr I am old 4
About thirty years ago in Jamestown TN 4 women ... 5 hr I am old 14
#1snitch 6 hr Dizzie sicko 10
Coal Mining 6 hr Dizzie sicko 18
Where do you report a drug dealer? (Sep '09) 7 hr Local citizen 39
Reporting False Child Abuse to DCS (Oct '09) 8 hr Peedblountco-dhr 189
2018 sheriff's election 13 hr He Sucks 43

Jamestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance