Packerton Yards project price tag at ...

Packerton Yards project price tag at $4.1 million

There are 4 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Packerton Yards project price tag at $4.1 million. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

A renovation project that county officials hope will turn a historic rail yard into an industrial park likely will cost $4.1 million to bring to fruition, a county commissioner told Mahoning Township Planning ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

CarbonCountyComm ies

Luzerne, PA

#1 Jul 23, 2008
The tax and spend G men, that would be Getz and O'Gureck sure are good at bait and switch. Come on reporters, do your jobs, remember how these two commies wouldn't let a private party buy this land and building because the Gmen promised high paying jobs? Well not one high paying job has been created and the Gmen are spending taxpayer money on this money pit like there is no tomorrow. How about calling these guys out on their failed promises and outright lies. Right now if it weren't for the big spenders Getz and O'Gureck, there would be a private business buying this property, running a business, employing people, paying taxes and renovating the buildings but No, instead O'Gureck wants to burn through your tax dollars and spend spend spend upward of millions of dollars and in the end you will get a few 10 dollar an hour jobs, what a waste.
Holly Marie

United States

#2 Jul 23, 2008
What an albatross of a project. “A renovation project that county officials hope will turn a historic rail yard into an industrial park” says it all. This type of planning, or lack of, is woefully outdated and detrimental to any revitalization and redevelopment efforts. A recent IEDC (International Economic Development Council) report states that the traditional office park model (or industrial park) with buildings surrounded by parking and landscaping is inward focuses and does not allow for interaction between employees and related businesses. In goes on to say that office space in mixed-use settings (job sites integrated with restaurants, entertainment, recreation, shops and homes) with access to transportation choices, has been reflected in higher occupancy rates, property values and lease premiums. It is bad enough that an irreplaceable historic and cultural landmark has been destroyed but to replace it with antiquated planning model, an industrial park, is even more insulting. With forethought and adoption of basic and modern community planning concepts, the Packerton Yards site could have been an economic development redevelopment project to be modeled and envied by other communities. Instead, it will serve as a textbook example of what not to do.
Carbon Resident

United States

#3 Jul 23, 2008
While I was disappointed that the old Packerton building was destroyed, I hope that they will request that the architecture of the new buildings reflect the time period when the buidling was active - I would hate to see neon lights, chain food restaurants that look identical to every other chain restaurant, big box stores that have no character. Lets keep some of the character -

Recreational trails, and acess to the river is a must. Take a look at what has been done in Northampton, along the river! There is a beautiful trail for walking/bicycling - with great landscaping. Trek to Sand Island in Bethlehem, along the Lehigh Canal. It has turned into a beautiful recreation area!

There is no reason that this land can't be a multi-purpose area. Businesses, apartments on top of stores - Recreation...

Time to write to the Commissioners.
Screwy Louie

Bethlehem, PA

#4 Jul 23, 2008
Hey moe! I found the screw driver, now we can do the plumbing job. NUEK, NUEK.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump for Freedom Apr '16 Conservative Woma... 1
Camping at Riverside Apr '16 Happy Camper 1
Deli Food Contamination Mar '16 Concerned Citizen 1
Graubard Applies for Mayor !!!!! (Apr '12) Jan '16 Recruit Graubard 44
Moss Building (Jan '16) Jan '16 Concerned 1
Downtown Greenville (Sep '15) Jan '16 MossGate 4
News Pa. mayor quits, calling council dealings 'shady' (Apr '12) Jan '16 The truth 14

Jamestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jamestown Mortgages