Lack of Credibility: Social Services Admits To Errors In Family Court

Posted in the Jamestown Forum

Mom of 3

La Fayette, GA

#1 Nov 21, 2010
MAYVILLE - The credibility of the county Department of Social Services has been damaged.

Letters admitting to errors were written by Child Protective Services staff last month, apologizing for events that took place in Family Court in September.

As a closed court, Family Court records are not public. However, after obtaining two of the letters written by CPS staff, The Post-Journal sought and received confirmation of the incident's details.

Calls to Family Court Judge Judith Claire resulted in a call from a spokesperson at the state's Unified Court System in New York City, who confirmed the incident.

In short, CPS workers appeared before Judge Claire in September seeking to have a child removed from its mother's custody. Based on their testimony, the judge signed a removal order for the child. The CPS workers then returned to court the next day to inform the judge that the child had not actually been born yet.

"As the supervisor of the team, I failed in my duties and responsibilities as a supervisor and mistakes were made on an investigation that led to inaccurate testimony in Family Court," wrote the department's Xcel Team Supervisor in her letter to co-workers.

The letter continues on to inform co-workers that their work may be impacted as a result of the situation, "because our credibility is now in question with the judge due to my mistakes during this time."

Both the team supervisor's letter and a similar letter written by a CPS caseworker can be found online with this story at www.post-journal.com .

"Actions that I and my team took and our lack of critical thinking resulted in a series of events leading up to that date, including miscommunication, errors, and lack of judgment," the caseworker wrote in the Oct. 29 letter.

"Ultimately, my failure to follow proper policy and procedure resulted in misinformation being testified to in court. Although this was not the intention, it carried with it significant consequences, legal and otherwise."

Questioned about the incident, DSS Commissioner Steven Wickmark explained that, because it involves a Family Court case and staff in his department, he could not comment.

"There's just nothing I can share with you on any level of what this is," Wickmark said.

Similarly, County Executive Greg Edwards called it a difficult issue and in a written statement on Nov. 18 echoed Wickmark's words.

"Due to the restrictions placed on me and every other member of county government by the laws of the state of New York and client confidentiality, I am not permitted to discuss issues relating to cases in our Child Protective Services unit," Edwards wrote.

The county executive's entire statement can also be found online with this article at www.post-journal.com .
Observing

La Fayette, GA

#2 Nov 21, 2010
http://www.post-journal.com/page/content.deta... . That is where this story is this morning.

DSS has made some serious mistakes over the years and families have endured a lot of heartache because of it.

A judge can only rule on the facts and testimonies that are provided and DSS failed to provide the correct information.

I know of a mom who had to hire an attorney to have a neglect case turned over to a PINs case because the correct wording was not in place to have her placed in care otherwise. She had to fight to have her daughter placed which is not something she wanted to have done but at the time, needed to occur.

This was due to our county failing to provide the services needed for her child and in another county now, she can get them. Why is that? We have a responsibility and accountability in the jobs that work with families, how can we change things that may have worked in the past but now create barriers and hardships for those involved?
Sueann

Binghamton, NY

#3 Nov 21, 2010
Oh Please most of these dirty parents deserve to have their children taken.The fucking dumb as nails retards,they should not raise a ant farm let alone a kid.I know most if not everyone has driven by the scum streets and seen many young kids playing outside in nothing but a diaper and filthy from head to toe.While the welfare mother is on her cell phone talking up a storm while junior is eatting dog shit and the shit out of his saggy diaper.You see the rican parents all dressed up and their 10 kids behind them wearing nasty clothes even though they got $200.00 per kid for school clothes.Nasty fuckers.The white trash is the worst.Their so fucking low life they will spend their soap money on renting movies and eatting junk.Just ask some dirty white bitch a question about any movie and I bet the toothless whore knows the answer.Kelly Carlson is one.She has 7 kids and can't even take care of 1.She is all goofy looking with that wondering eye and shit you never know who she is talking to.My brother used to hang with her and the shit she would tell me about that woman was sick,I hope it wasn't true.7 kids is a bit much.She lost her kids at last!Who the fuck has 7 kids when you are as poor as a church mouse?What the fuck and now the bitch rolls with some midget black man that looks more like a cartoon than a real person.The dumb bitch can't even afford to feed all of them let alone keep them.They used to go around the neighborhood knocking on doors asking for food.That is a good call for CPS.That bitch needed to have those kids removed forever.I hear she is going around saying she is getting them back.Now that is funny.Dirty girl

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 21, 2010
CPS does have some good cases, yet they truely need to get their act together and look deeper into some cases before jumping the gun.
This reminds me of a case that CPS was involved with a few years back waiting to take an unborn child. The case I speak of was so bad that the baby ended up with brain damage due to CPS not listening to Buffalo Childrens Hospital. The baby was NOT to be removed from the hospital due to its size and under developed lungs. CPS took the baby anyways and brought the baby to a foster home. The baby stopped breathing at the home and by the time the baby got back to the hospital the it had sustained brain damage from lack of oxygen. When CPS found out what they had done they closed the case and covered their tracks and allowed the mother to have the baby back. I have worked in the legal field for over 8 years... This was in fact, one of the most upsetting cases I had ever witnessed.
Observing

La Fayette, GA

#6 Nov 21, 2010
You sound like quite a parent yourself if you are one. Nice language just to express yourself!!!

Yes, there are parents who indeed are neglectful or abusive but CPS moves to close cases and not leave them open, regardless of what the circumstance is. As long as they close the case, they do not care what takes place. AND, it is not about helping families but closing cases and saving their butt. I know a worker was fired for her neglectful handing of a case but you cannot sue DSS or CPS due to the high immunity but they can come after parents whenever they receive a call AND you have to comply.
Sueann wrote:
Oh Please most of these dirty parents deserve to have their children taken.The fucking dumb as nails retards,they should not raise a ant farm let alone a kid.I know most if not everyone has driven by the scum streets and seen many young kids playing outside in nothing but a diaper and filthy from head to toe.While the welfare mother is on her cell phone talking up a storm while junior is eatting dog shit and the shit out of his saggy diaper.You see the rican parents all dressed up and their 10 kids behind them wearing nasty clothes even though they got $200.00 per kid for school clothes.Nasty fuckers.The white trash is the worst.Their so fucking low life they will spend their soap money on renting movies and eatting junk.Just ask some dirty white bitch a question about any movie and I bet the toothless whore knows the answer.Kelly Carlson is one.She has 7 kids and can't even take care of 1.She is all goofy looking with that wondering eye and shit you never know who she is talking to.My brother used to hang with her and the shit she would tell me about that woman was sick,I hope it wasn't true.7 kids is a bit much.She lost her kids at last!Who the fuck has 7 kids when you are as poor as a church mouse?What the fuck and now the bitch rolls with some midget black man that looks more like a cartoon than a real person.The dumb bitch can't even afford to feed all of them let alone keep them.They used to go around the neighborhood knocking on doors asking for food.That is a good call for CPS.That bitch needed to have those kids removed forever.I hear she is going around saying she is getting them back.Now that is funny.Dirty girl

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 21, 2010
I have to agree with you. The fact that a worker will be fired due to their neglectful handling of a case shows that CPS DOES handle what's going on in their office.
My last post should have been toward the worker on the case I spoke of and not toward CPS.
Brutus

Chardon, OH

#8 Nov 21, 2010
If you are gona have kids you need to be prepared to take care of them. With all the Birth Control out there (its free), why are these idiots having so many kids? After 4 kids per couple the tax breaks stop right?Stoooop already.
unbiased

Oneonta, NY

#10 Nov 25, 2010
cps will lie decieve, cheat, invent, do anything to make a case if they decide they dont like the person their investigating, and whats worse the state protects them so they can do no wrong or answer to their mistakes. hmm reminds me of the nazi era, what they determined was right and the rest of the world was wrong.
I Shat Myself

Binghamton, NY

#11 Nov 25, 2010
Stalker_21 wrote:
CPS does have some good cases, yet they truely need to get their act together and look deeper into some cases before jumping the gun.
This reminds me of a case that CPS was involved with a few years back waiting to take an unborn child. The case I speak of was so bad that the baby ended up with brain damage due to CPS not listening to Buffalo Childrens Hospital. The baby was NOT to be removed from the hospital due to its size and under developed lungs. CPS took the baby anyways and brought the baby to a foster home. The baby stopped breathing at the home and by the time the baby got back to the hospital the it had sustained brain damage from lack of oxygen. When CPS found out what they had done they closed the case and covered their tracks and allowed the mother to have the baby back. I have worked in the legal field for over 8 years... This was in fact, one of the most upsetting cases I had ever witnessed.
No wonder your retarded.I knew there had to be something wrong with you.Your a real winner
help

Buffalo, NY

#12 Mar 16, 2011
I need an attorney on these issues? anyone know one that handles this? Ive had the same things happen to me plus many other lies and issues. Did you know if your kids are taken in NY because on Domestic violence its no legal to do. Look it up,know your rights.org and emmas law. Wow I need a good attorney,Who did the woman in jamestown get?
themackman

Binghamton, NY

#13 Mar 17, 2011
They should be taken if there is Domestic Vilence.If you can not protect yourself then who is going to protect your children.If it happens one time and the woman leaves for good (or man) with the kids then that is one thing but if more than once then they need to be removed.There are places and programs out there to help these women now so there is no excuse for them to stay and make their children go through that.If the they get themselves out of the situation the first time it happens they deserve all the help that is out there,but sadly that rarly happens.

“Bernie Goetz is my hero”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#14 Mar 17, 2011
Things would go a hella lot better if cps could weed out the assbags that calls cps on each others as a revenge thing. That tyes up workers and wastes recourses.
We aint laking scum in this town I can tellya that.
mom of 2

Beaver Dams, NY

#15 Mar 17, 2011
If you were doing your job as a parent their is no worries about your children being placed.You show them you are doing all you can to help and protect your child. There are a few of excellent child protection workers that are in it for the kids.
Bulldog

Jamestown, NY

#16 Mar 17, 2011
There goes Phetus speaking Urdu again.
themackman

Binghamton, NY

#17 Mar 18, 2011
Phester O Boyle wrote:
Things would go a hella lot better if cps could weed out the assbags that calls cps on each others as a revenge thing. That tyes up workers and wastes recourses.
We aint laking scum in this town I can tellya that.
I agree 100%.There are people who waste tons of time and money (our money)on calling cps just to get back at someone over and over again.If someone calls cps more than a few times you can best bet it is just a revenge call.They should be looked into before they look into who they turned in.If they are a multiple caller.If found guilty of making a revenge call they should have to pay back the money it cost to investagate the person.We all know this will never happen but it would be nice.
HeartBrokenMOM

Chagrin Falls, OH

#18 Mar 9, 2012
i know how this judge n cps kills familys cuz this judge helped cps kill my family :(
https://www.change.org/petitions/hon-judith-s...
civil rights

Jamestown, NY

#21 Nov 12, 2012
AMEN!!!!COPS would never dream of violating civil rights in the manner that unlicensed CPS workers do!!! Google "fight CPS," and learn how to protect your children and your families from these self-righteous high school graduates (the licensed social workers sit in a nice office and judge you and your family based upon what the caseworker cousins Megan Brady Trask and Michelle Maione say about your family...They judge you first and then try to build a case against you.....Oh the corruption never ends....
unbiased wrote:
cps will lie decieve, cheat, invent, do anything to make a case if they decide they dont like the person their investigating, and whats worse the state protects them so they can do no wrong or answer to their mistakes. hmm reminds me of the nazi era, what they determined was right and the rest of the world was wrong.
jamestownbob

Jamestown, NY

#22 Nov 13, 2012
Unbiased and many others I can't agree with you more. I fought CPS and I won. You better have some cash because your lawyer won't be free. Know your rights! Don't let them in your door without a warrant signed by a judge! They are not there for the best interest of your child. They already assume your guilty. If they bring the cops tell the officer that you are not going to voluntarily surrender your civil liberties. Unless you are under arrest the police do not have the authority to enter without a warrant. They will not get a warrant without real evidence and if they have real evidence you would have already been arrested. They want to speak to your children to distort what your children have said to create a case against you. If they by some miracle show up with a warrant don't allow them to interview your child without you present and record everything preferably with video.Do not allow them to photograph or remove clothes from your children they do not have that authority unless you consent. Tell them that you are recording them and record yourself telling them. Instruct your children not to talk to CPS. Have them carry a business size card explaining that cps does not have permission to talk to them to present to the worker if confronted.
OMG

United States

#23 Nov 13, 2012
Sueann wrote:
Oh Please most of these dirty parents deserve to have their children taken.The fucking dumb as nails retards,they should not raise a ant farm let alone a kid.I know most if not everyone has driven by the scum streets and seen many young kids playing outside in nothing but a diaper and filthy from head to toe.While the welfare mother is on her cell phone talking up a storm while junior is eatting dog shit and the shit out of his saggy diaper.You see the rican parents all dressed up and their 10 kids behind them wearing nasty clothes even though they got $200.00 per kid for school clothes.Nasty fuckers.The white trash is the worst.Their so fucking low life they will spend their soap money on renting movies and eatting junk.Just ask some dirty white bitch a question about any movie and I bet the toothless whore knows the answer.Kelly Carlson is one.She has 7 kids and can't even take care of 1.She is all goofy looking with that wondering eye and shit you never know who she is talking to.My brother used to hang with her and the shit she would tell me about that woman was sick,I hope it wasn't true.7 kids is a bit much.She lost her kids at last!Who the fuck has 7 kids when you are as poor as a church mouse?What the fuck and now the bitch rolls with some midget black man that looks more like a cartoon than a real person.The dumb bitch can't even afford to feed all of them let alone keep them.They used to go around the neighborhood knocking on doors asking for food.That is a good call for CPS.That bitch needed to have those kids removed forever.I hear she is going around saying she is getting them back.Now that is funny.Dirty girl
Is this the same Sueann that had 5 kids and got all of them taken away? WOW Lol
wow

Fredonia, NY

#24 Nov 14, 2012
Cps does ruin families .. My kids were ripped from me for a domestic violence call when neither of us were beaten up it was more hollaring then anything.They put a restraining order aagainst us which i dropped . They said we weren't aloud around eachother with the kids at the same time without a go between ..the first time i had my brother come pick me up and drop my husband off with the kids they were there to rip my kids from me..Telling me not to cry or they wouldnt let me say goodbye..Seriously my kids lived in a very clean house,were always dressed in good clothes and very clean, I even had more food then most normal people have...What they did to our family was hell it took us a year to get them back while they were flopped in one home to the next. The one which they were sexually abused...I called the cops who the called cps brought them in my kids tolled them everything but they insisted my kids were lying they were 5 ,4,3, the stuff they said happened just sickend me..If you know anyone that will take my case or who i can go to fight this please let me know.Yea suing the state is only gonna give them money and not give them the chance to erase that horrible part of there life but its something..This was wrong today i can still not get a job in the field i want because ths neglect charge is haunting me...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hunter lawson 57 min candi 1
Jackie Hayes is a nasty hoe 59 min Datnasty 1
free bjs 1 hr free bjs 16
Dwanald King N his current 2 hr u give us reasons... 41
jenny sanchez 2 hr far from dumb 1
Nicole Bauer 2 hr wow yeah 19
rite aid zombie 2 hr lol 3
Paige 3 hr rhgey 14
816 Newland 9 22 14 6 hr cheap shot 11
Cadili's 6 hr She drive a Prius 7
•••
•••
•••

Jamestown Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jamestown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Jamestown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jamestown
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••