thinker

Dunkirk, NY

#45 Jan 29, 2012
Get rid of sports period. Too costly and school should be about classes, not sports. The money we spend and then have to listen to coaches and stories like this. Just get rid of the sport. Pay to play if you want them.
whoa

Frisco, TX

#46 Jan 29, 2012
Great idea. Lil brats need a good lesson or 2
Paul Hoffler

Jamestown, NY

#47 Jan 29, 2012
Those ghetto wanna bees have to have something after school to keep them away from the crack at least until they graduate...
Hoop Parent 12

United States

#48 Jan 29, 2012
Unfortunately, this this type of behavior is very common in practice and during the mandatory off season program. Some girls are selected from middle schools and are forced into this "legal" form child abuse. Time for JPS to take a stand...and say this type of coaching is not acceptable.
No clue

United States

#49 Jan 29, 2012
You have no understanding of what goes on. I do understand that while sitting on the front step all day you can hear lots of stories but ricker has done more for jps students than any coach we have working with our kids
Hoop Parent 12

United States

#50 Jan 29, 2012
I spoke to three college coaches and each have said the JHS program does not prepare them for the next level. The girls lack the basic skills and knowledge of the game to be successful in college. They do have a physical and mental toughnesss but that is a produuct of abusive nature of the practice and locker room!

Coach Ricker is a liar. Promises the world, delivers a turd!
WNY23

Fredonia, NY

#51 Jan 29, 2012
A Parent wrote:
I’d like to direct this to Lady bug and Witness:
As a parent of girls that played for Ken Ricker I do feel I am qualified to say: he is a very dedicated coach to basketball and has a lot of knowledge when it comes to the sport but he has never had any people skills. As for the scholarship help that was only to certain players. My daughters, who are good respectable players; they did not do drugs or get drunk every weekend. They gave him 100 percent every time they played for him. And I can tell you he brought them to tears multiple times with his threats, rude comments and being pushed around. I believe the problem lies also with an administration that let Parents concerns fall on deaf ears. I know myself and many others filed multiple complaints, with Ben Drake, Mr. Yelich, and even former Superintendant Mr. Fashano. Maybe if things wouldn’t have been swept under the rug because of the girl’s success or a friendship and he was made accountable for his actions sooner he would not be in this situation today. As for the comment make the girl responsible, I agree, but not by putting your hands on her. Neither of you obviously have experienced him first hand and really shouldn’t be expressing anything. I don’t believe anyone should have the right to verbally or physically abuse child, and a coach should be held to high standard. These kids are taught to respect and trust him only to be mistreated and put down. Bullying is not allowed by kids but I guess coaches can get away with it.
Would you explain how a girl's success or friendship was "swept under the rug"? Who swept your complaints under the rug? It is not okay to list names and accuse them of sweeping Ricker's actions under the rug. There are some things a principal can and cannot do and it is in reality the Superintendent's and Athletic Director's job.
Joe Paterno

Jamestown, NY

#52 Jan 29, 2012
Hoop Parent 12 wrote:
I spoke to three college coaches and each have said the JHS program does not prepare them for the next level. The girls lack the basic skills and knowledge of the game to be successful in college. They do have a physical and mental toughnesss but that is a produuct of abusive nature of the practice and locker room!
Coach Ricker is a liar. Promises the world, delivers a turd!
Who the hell did you talk to? The Uconn coach? Pat Summitt? No probably JCC.
idiots

Jamestown, NY

#54 Jan 29, 2012
Well there coach K, by the sounds of your english and grammar skills. You spent a lot more time with a basketball then a pen and paper.
idiots

Jamestown, NY

#55 Jan 29, 2012
I don't understand why anyone cares about high school basketball in the first place. Especially girls basketball. People act like Jamestown school sports are some kind of big deal. In reality, who cares.
WOW

Northfield, OH

#56 Jan 29, 2012
No clue wrote:
You have no understanding of what goes on. I do understand that while sitting on the front step all day you can hear lots of stories but ricker has done more for jps students than any coach we have working with our kids
Absolutely not true at all!! There are coaches for other sports that do not treat their atheletes this way and that also do alot more positive things for them then he ever could.
When he verbally abuses one of your kids, then we will see how your opinion changes. Until then, you will never understand what other parents have been through with their kids who have been mistreated!!
Really People

United States

#57 Jan 30, 2012
Ricker is a good X & O basketball coach, terrible role model. He let the program get out of control and focused to much on achieving scholarships for players, when in reality not many are because they lack the fundamental skills of basketball. Sports used to be fun in high school now its all about the wins and academics have taken a back seat. This is true of all the sports team at JHS especially the boys team. In the real world the only thing that matters is academics if you want a life not involving swiping a card.
Tired of the Whining

Endicott, NY

#58 Jan 30, 2012
WOW.....WAHHHH....He yelled at my kid!

Suck it up buttercup. Your little princess is not everyone's princess.
yaya

Jamestown, NY

#59 Jan 30, 2012
when ricker picks his teams, character is not one of the traits he considers, now he pays for it.
Red Raider Fan

Northfield, OH

#60 Jan 30, 2012
Tired of the Whining wrote:
WOW.....WAHHHH....He yelled at my kid!
Suck it up buttercup. Your little princess is not everyone's princess.
Obviously you missed the facts. This is not about yelling at somebody's kid. I think coaches yell all the time, not really a big deal. It just crosses the line when a player is pushed because there is no excuse for that.
Jack Brown

United States

#62 Jan 30, 2012
The school district has policies and codes of conduct for athletes and teachers.
We can all now wait and see if they matter or is a winning record all that matters. Everyone in the district that knows this man also knows that he somehow slid through the cracks and gained employment with Jamestown Public Schools. He's good basketball coach because he wins basketball games. He's a terrible teacher and role model. When it's all said and done he will be reinstated and not only to coach the basketball team but I also understand he will be the girls soccer coach next fall. The JHS school district will send a message to kids, parents and the community, you win games you can behave anyway you please. At some point after he has had his hands slapped and been reinstated to both coaching positions he will eventually go over the top. Then all of tax payers will have to bear the cost of a lawsuit against the district that should never have happened.
Hoop Parent 12

United States

#64 Jan 30, 2012
Joe Paterno wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the hell did you talk to? The Uconn coach? Pat Summitt? No probably JCC.
2010 Empire State Games at UB

Canisius College
Niagara University
Buffalo State College
Reality Check

United States

#65 Jan 30, 2012
I love the comments that I have read so far. The ignorance is at full force with the way most of you ignorant people view Jmstn. sports in regards to minority and free lunch mentality. Please people if you have a moment to crawl out of your little corner of a safety blanket and think that only parties, unsportsmanlike conduct, racial inequality, and other mistaken facts occur only in Jamestown, then you obviously have not taken a full view of that goes on around this area of WNY. I am not even condoning or objecting to the incident at hand because I have heard second hand reports, but all you bashers have the
same let's " jump on the criticism bandwagon", and not look at the whole picture. I just talked to a parent who experienced both the recent parent outrage at The Pine Valley Wrestling Tournament by the Franklinville Dad as well as the quickly forgotten about last year's softball exchange between the 2 local small school teams. The BIG DOG always catches the most Fleas.
Let's remember that everyone of us will make mistakes in their life.
Regrets, Consequences, Letdowns, and Disappointments are already the biggest punishment.
Sincerely, local coach, parent, fan, and realist!!!!!!!!!
lol

Jamestown, NY

#66 Jan 30, 2012
thanks for the reality check, all you did was put random facts together, stating no official opinion. And spit the back out at us. Thank you so much. That was so helpful.
greg

Jamestown, NY

#67 Jan 30, 2012
I don't understand why anyone even cares about highschool sports this much. Who cares? It's girls basketball. A coach shoved a player. We get it. Its the same information being posted over and over again. In different forms. This post is longer then most about important topics such as politics. Or welfare. I am sure all you yahoo's are a bunch of liberals anyways. And probably most on welfare. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds you. I get it. But, can this just come to an end? It's to the point where just about anyone can fall asleep reading this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bunch of miserable people here 9 min Rainbow 7
Georgeanna Guiffrida 14 min THIS 3
Leave your adress and a comment, I'll send you ... 15 min BreezyD 1
Yet Another Missing Lakewood Man 22 min A friend 14
Pics 40 min justaguy 2
Paul Burger and his "wife" 40 min Scum 6
mistress 45 min justaguy 4
State Police in Onoville 3 hr Neighbor 11
garfield rd trailer park 13 hr Just a guy 32
Sean Carpenter Missing 23 hr Idiot 73