Family Church in Jamestown
Yes Lord

New London, IA

#42 Jun 24, 2008
Membership classes? Many churches have these today, many to help people become followers in the word, because many are new to the experience. And many are there to tell you what their church does, guidelines, discuss budgets, etc. I understand where most of you are coming from, there are churches out there that do very little for anyone, and some people get a lot out of that. But I think a church should be more than just "sit there and listen to me". A "child" learns from "experience", whether it is learning speech for the first time from their parents or learning to pick up their toys, or how to help /get along with others. Ask yourself: Do your churches have ministry(ies) you/everyone can serve? I think often times churches, like schools and even media outlets focus too much on the numbers game and not enough time on the needs of their "communities". A community gaden, like Phil A had suggested, sounds like an excellent idea, because it would be teaching people how to be more independent, and if done the right way, would truly be giving back to our Creator. Don't forget, money stems from plants/ores we took from the Earth. And how many church going people think about this?
Stugots

Bath, NY

#43 Jun 24, 2008
GodisanAwesomeGod wrote:
and lastly to Faith.
I realize that. But you know, to be honest, most people there on Sunday are there wednesdays, fridays and saturdays. Most also go to more than one service. Not so say no one can walk in. But this church doesn't let anyone just become a member. There's a membership class where the purpose of a member of the Body of Christ is explained. And to be honest, in my opinion-if it counts for anything-if you sit through those services, honestly listening to what is being taught...more than likely your soul is going to feel fed. You'll WANT to change to have a better relationship with God. I mean...come on...He died for us. all of us. even if you were the only one to believe Jesus died for your sins...if you were the only one who ever believed...God would have still had it done. That's how much you matter to Him. He gave His all His everything, to spend eternity with you.
Why is there a membership class? Church doctrine causes more problems than what it's worth. Live by Gods Words....Keep His Holy Bible open and READ Daily, "It is your Sword Of Knowledge" The Strenghth of your faith is your Armour! As long as you have Christ in your Heart and your Bible in your hand and stay strong in your faith it does't matter how long your hair is or if you have a body suit of tattoo's or if you have jeans on or if your pierced.MEMBERSHIP CLASSES? WHO NEEDS THEM. God is a respector of no man! He is my judge!
"Then I saw Heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of Kings and Lord of Lords." Revelation 19:11-16
Be Real

Jamestown, NY

#44 Jun 25, 2008
Most Churches have some type of classes to be taken before people can become "Members" of the Church.
Stugots

Jamestown, NY

#45 Jun 25, 2008
Again , Church Doctrine! In Gods Eyes we are already members of His Church and Kingdom , your indoctrination was accepting him into your heart!
Freddy Five

New London, IA

#46 Jun 25, 2008
Why would anyone attend or be a member of a church that people do not acknowledge they have at least some problems? Snobbery comes in many forms. A woman at my former church had asked to become a part of the choir, she had a beautiful voice and was a member of musical group that toured local nursing homes. She kept asking and asking, the minister told her the same: He'd think about it. Some young gal in her twenties had gotten together with the associate pastor and asked the same thing, next thing you know, she was part of that praise team (and she has no talent being there). Another church I attended there was this gal who attended with her father every week. They were very prominent members of their church, and were seemingly well liked by the congregation. The man had to have surgery and was out of commission for several months. Lo and behold this fellow got all kinds of flowers, get well cards and the whole nine yards. He recovered enough to come back. All the while, no one bothered to ask his daughter out for social gatherings, or how she was doing..nothing. Awhile later she was in an accident and had to be hospitalized. The church knew about it, but do you think anyone came to visit her? Nope. She succombed to her wounds and died several days later. When the bulletin came out a week or so later, there was an "In Memoriam" regarding her. One of the older attending(he'd been there for years) parishoners asked who she was. I said to them, "Don't you know? She'd been the one greeting people at the door since I started attending..."
GodisanAwesomeGo d

Jamestown, NY

#47 Jun 28, 2008
Yes, membership classes. So the people there understand their role in the church. Whehter it's serving in a part of a ministry from nursery to cleaning. It's not to say that we don't let people in the church if their not members-that woudln't be the right thing to do.
NextHowardStern

Bolivar, NY

#48 Jun 28, 2008
GodisanAwesomeGod wrote:
Yes, membership classes. So the people there understand their role in the church. Whehter it's serving in a part of a ministry from nursery to cleaning. It's not to say that we don't let people in the church if their not members-that woudln't be the right thing to do.
Membership classes or not, either way no church, if following the laws of the Bible, should never, ever pick and choose who they will allow to become members, or treat anybody any different than anybody else. As I have previously statd I know it happens, and theres not ANYTHING ANYBODY CAN DO ABOUT IT, GET OVER THE TOPIC ALREADY. That's a bunch of crap, and nothing about it is biblical.
Freddy Five

Grinnell, IA

#49 Jun 28, 2008
Why would I need to keep repeating the "my role" part in the church in some other church? Membership classes should inform you of what that church believes in, what ministry is available/needs help in, maybe even help understand where your tithes and offers go to. But then the latter should be discussed in yearly meetings with the congregation, and should be allowed to ask questions. This is an open communication between the leaders and people who attend. I sincerely doubt that "Awesome" is truly paying any real attention to some of the other questions asked. Your church has an event in Allen Park on the 29th of June right?
Freddy Five

Grinnell, IA

#50 Jun 28, 2008
NextHowardStern wrote:
<quoted text>
Membership classes or not, either way no church, if following the laws of the Bible, should never, ever pick and choose who they will allow to become members, or treat anybody any different than anybody else. As I have previously statd I know it happens, and theres not ANYTHING ANYBODY CAN DO ABOUT IT, GET OVER THE TOPIC ALREADY. That's a bunch of crap, and nothing about it is biblical.
I have had several experiences with several churches in my 70+ years on this planet, and you know, I couldn't agree any more. Some churches tell you that you need to ask them to join a ministry, but you know they never seem to ask you if you have particular interests, or what gifts you posess that may help them out. By them asking members this they make people feel welcome, as if they're needed/wanted. How do we get to know our kids better if we don't ask them questions, how do we know our kids better if we pay them very little heed, or do we expect them to raise themselves?

On a side note, I went to services once at one church in the nineties, and what turned me off completely was that the pastor came out and told the congregation that homosexual people are not to be trusted around children, as they feel that they are child predators, and known homosexual members will not be able to serve on any ministry that serves children, not even in the choir either. I take it that churches like this don't like people who are in their thirties and forties who are still virgins...??
Good Gal

Jamestown, NY

#51 Jul 27, 2008
GodisanawesomeGod wrote:
The reason for more people in the church. LIVES SAVED!!!!!! not numbers. Think about it. And yes, they are a bible teaching church. That I know. No I don't know for a fact. However, I've been going for a long time. Never once have newcomers been treated bad. Sorry if you feel that way. Also, the pastor waits outside the door to say goodbye to anyone who wants a chat. I'm not sure when you went, but your story doesn't match up.
and also to awww IT'S NOT A RELIGION!!!!! I DO NOT PRACTICE A RELIGION. IT'S A RELATIONSHIP. RELIGION IS FROM MAN. RELATIONSHIPS AND FAITH IS FROM GOD.
Sounds like another one of these "Knows too much/don't know anything types of people. This isn't the only church that "saves people". They're growing in numbers is because it seems like all the young mothers are pregnant.
Jammer Fan

Jamestown, NY

#52 Jul 27, 2008
GodisanAwesomeGod wrote:
We don't have a fellowship hall, our church is too small to fit everyone right now.
This proves my point that this person is a know it all/knows nothing. I am a regular attender of this church and can tell you that yes, they indeed DO have a fellowship hall, where it's always been. Seems like I go through the same stuff every Sunday morning, go to the fellowship hall for fellowship and coffee, and the young cut ahead in line, grab a bunch of cookies and run. And often times more than enough, the parents are standing near by.

I also had a friend who attended who would have loved to become part of their praise and worship team, and they let the pastor know about it when a position finally came up. Instead of giving the position to this person they gave it to a younger, inexperienced person.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you they are a bad church, but I think instead of working on their numbers by the amount of events they have and advertising in the paper, they should be more involved in their community. What do they do for the poor/hungry? Many churches, whether they consciously are aware or not, they consume more and give back less to their local communities. Why don't they use the land they use as a community garden? Why not plant a tree or two in the park, feed it and water it?
McBling Bling

Stow, OH

#53 Oct 31, 2008
GodisanawesomeGod wrote:
The reason for more people in the church. LIVES SAVED!!!!!! not numbers. Think about it. And yes, they are a bible teaching church. That I know. No I don't know for a fact. However, I've been going for a long time. Never once have newcomers been treated bad. Sorry if you feel that way. Also, the pastor waits outside the door to say goodbye to anyone who wants a chat. I'm not sure when you went, but your story doesn't match up.
and also to awww IT'S NOT A RELIGION!!!!! I DO NOT PRACTICE A RELIGION. IT'S A RELATIONSHIP. RELIGION IS FROM MAN. RELATIONSHIPS AND FAITH IS FROM GOD.
Lives saved? Are you kidding me? Other churches don't save lives?

Seriously, I have been to some churches in my time, and this one was one of the more, well, different ones. I know I will NOT be attending, since I reall didn't feel any presence of anything spiritual there, other than they want my money. I agree with some of the others, that the bible is a man made thing, as your heavenly being didn't create the money supply system, man did. And what spiritual being would mind your sexuality? Who in their right minds would care if you're gay or straight? Being gay or because you dont give your money to the church doesn't make you bad. And I also agree with the others, that the minister is virtually inaccessible. I gave up trying to get to him 1/2 hour after one service
godsgirl

Lewisburg, PA

#54 Nov 19, 2008
I haven't been to Family church however I have been to quite a few churches in this area and if you want some down to earth people to get to know and fellowship with, try Triumohant Life Church. They are new so they are very small but have an awesome vision for not only their church but also this area.I have found the word taught there to be the most biblically accurate than most other churches. On saturday's there is fellowship in the basement at 7pm. We usually play games and just take time out getting to know each other and havin fun. It's for any age(yes the kids have things to do too).On sunday mornings church starts at 10:30 am. It is located at 10 Foote Ave. Next to the high school.
twig

Manchester, KY

#55 Dec 14, 2008
Seventh Day Adventist Church is good.it's on McDaniel Ave.
Lana

North East, PA

#56 Dec 14, 2008
NextHowardStern wrote:
I am a preacher's son, BOTH parents were preachers in the Chautauqua County area for a very long time....forced to go to church 18 years of my life. Some of thier churches included, Sheridan, Forestville-Nashville, Edward's Chapel, Ripley-South Ripley all United Methodist Churches. My parents, although caught up in the politics of the church, always did the best they could to return calls, go to the hospital to see a sick parisher, no matter what time of day or night. All churches AREN'T like that. However, any church you go to, there will always be politics, because most of them are more a long the lines of "tradition" and don't want some new young people coming in like they own the place and changing what people have been accustomed to for countless years. Today currently, my mother is on the disbability line, because the district closed her church, and forced her on disablity. She has had many medical problems in the past and the church is TIRED of paying her medical bills. My father is now legally blind has a seeing eye dog, and retired. HOWEVER, he is still currently serving a church in South Buffalo, NY, part time. There's soooooo much more I could say, but I am out of time, I have to go to work!
If your mom's first initial is "N" I know exactly who they are. They did a good job with the churches even though some folks didn't care for her style. To each their own. I wish all of you the best!
NextHowardStern

Vestal, NY

#57 Dec 29, 2008
Lana wrote:
<quoted text>
If your mom's first initial is "N" I know exactly who they are. They did a good job with the churches even though some folks didn't care for her style. To each their own. I wish all of you the best!
Yes, in fact her first initial IS "N" followed by the last initial "B"...wouldn't surprise me at all if you know her. Most in the Ripley, So. Ripley, Westfield, Stateline Area do. I am more interested in a person who thought her style and sermons were good! I have always found this to be a difficult time and be forced to sit through and learn something. I was constantly trying to amuse myself. Don't know if you know me or not, but my intials are "JB"-her youngest son, that graduated from Sherman in 1996. I did attend Ripley in 93-95. If you would like to, you can send me an email to [email protected] to see if your are right.
Believer

Horseheads, NY

#58 Dec 29, 2008
I believe if you pray, you are heard. I do not feel you must attend a Church. In the Bible it says you do not have to pray/worship in a house made of stone/ brick. Pray in your hearts and you will be heard. Be kind to people when you have no patience. I know that Ministers out there do want to spread the word but, they are also, looking into thier own living as well. Not the devoted to God worship with entirety anymore. Some maybe, but most have changed with the times and consider it a belief and a living.Which I feel was not meant to be.
Just a Comment

Elmira, NY

#59 Dec 30, 2008
Freddy Five wrote:
Your church has an event in Allen Park on the 29th of June right?
Allen Park is near the pastor's home of the Family Church located on Garfield road. I seen first hand how this church has changed peoples lives....some for the better and some for the worse; but I do not agree that they need their own "School".

I did have to take a membership class to join my current church, so that is not a bad thing... However, I do not like what the family church represents to it's members and the community.

If you say anything to the members -- they turn their nose up at you. If they want child care, they look within the church. If they want employment they look within the church....so only if you are a member of THIS church will you have it's members as part of your businesses and lives.

Again, I personally, do not agree with this church or their practices, and it is good to see as time passes -- they are loosing members to long standing churches.

Thanks for reading my comment....
huh

Falconer, NY

#60 Dec 30, 2008
isn't this the church that harbors violent sex offenders?
truthseeker

Selinsgrove, PA

#61 Dec 31, 2008
This mobster mentality guy who runs this so-called family church that he benefits from in fredonia is a fly by night who stole the church building he took over and thinks and teaches that gain is godliness. He isnt even qualified to be a preacher and is affiliated with some guy from california who came there and bragged how he was a millionaire and there God is money not Jesus who warned us of false teachers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andi Rasmussen 7 min Hard as a rok 2
Fusco Ryan 7 min jamestown ny 12
Jenerational Fuscum 9 min jamestown ny 4
News City Man Linked To Quincy Turner Murder Sentenc... 12 min wishing u were her 56
millennium scum 27 min Nicole Smith 6
Ronald Wilson pos father 39 min Charmet 1
katreina (who's my baby daddy) curry 49 min sqwirm 6
Goodbye 1 hr you are dumb 14
Doug Zahn 3 hr Krazy but not sca... 8
what happened to buzetos pizza????? (Aug '15) 21 hr wolfdancer 39

Jamestown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jamestown Mortgages