Topix and Cyberbullying

Posted in the Jamestown Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Karma Kween

United States

#1 Nov 2, 2010
Just wondering thoughts on this forum... Could and when do you think the forums on Topix cross the line into cyberbullying and harassment? When do you feel these Topix forums cross the line from freedom of speech into harassment and slander?One could debate both parts of this question but really looking at the defenition of what constitutes cyberbullying and slander and harassment when do you feel enough is enough with a Topix forum and it has crossed over that lines? Thoughts on this issue? At which point do you feel an individuals rights to freedom of speech have violated anothers.right not to be harassed and cyberbullied? And should the Topix forum besides the individual or individuals be held accountable when such rights have been violated?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 2, 2010
The only solution is to not come on here anymore. Sorry but true, it's too easy for people to hide behind the computer and cross lines with people they would never cross in person.
sad

Vestal, NY

#3 Nov 2, 2010
I missed you partsfuck
Lucy Ball

Chagrin Falls, OH

#4 Nov 2, 2010
It doesn't matter how many times this question gets asked.
I still like chocolate.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 2, 2010
Karma Kween wrote:
Just wondering thoughts on this forum... Could and when do you think the forums on Topix cross the line into cyberbullying and harassment? When do you feel these Topix forums cross the line from freedom of speech into harassment and slander?One could debate both parts of this question but really looking at the defenition of what constitutes cyberbullying and slander and harassment when do you feel enough is enough with a Topix forum and it has crossed over that lines? Thoughts on this issue? At which point do you feel an individuals rights to freedom of speech have violated anothers.right not to be harassed and cyberbullied? And should the Topix forum besides the individual or individuals be held accountable when such rights have been violated?
Hey nice name you have there!

Since: Jul 10

United States

#6 Nov 2, 2010
I think it's crossed the line when names and locations are mentioned. I don't mean if your screenname says your name or you mention the street you live on, I mean when someone else calls you out. Then it's crossed the line.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Nov 2, 2010
Karma Kween wrote:
When it comes to Topix, its obvious that The cyberbully who is harrassing is the one who continuously goes into forums, following and slaming indivuals with remarks. Deformation of Character: The law, defamation, vilification, slander, or libel is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim, expressively stated or implied to be factual which in turn may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism.

Location hidden

#8 Nov 2, 2010
Rachael22 wrote:
I think it's crossed the line when names and locations are mentioned. I don't mean if your screenname says your name or you mention the street you live on, I mean when someone else calls you out. Then it's crossed the line.
I agree 100%... Its one thing to put stupid assumptions toward a fake screen name. But to have someone give a name or "call you out" as you say, it adds the the slander that is put within the posts.... Joking or not.... I will be the first to say that I am guilty of slamming the screen name "Sad" or any other that has slammed me. However, to go as far as Posting ones REAL name over and over again while saying lies and cut downs would be crossing the line. It could very well get to the point of being considered harrassment.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 2, 2010
There are serious and good posts on this site, and then there are those that you know are going to be chaos. You just have to weed through and decide what to post on and what not too. As far as names, if they use their real name, then I would think others could too. If they are dumb enough to post their address, then they are the ones taking the risk. The terms of service on this site are very clear, I am sure that is why they are still in business and why people use this site.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 2, 2010
KarmaKween wrote:
There are serious and good posts on this site, and then there are those that you know are going to be chaos. You just have to weed through and decide what to post on and what not too. As far as names, if they use their real name, then I would think others could too. If they are dumb enough to post their address, then they are the ones taking the risk. The terms of service on this site are very clear, I am sure that is why they are still in business and why people use this site.
Your right on this one.... The only thing I ever did was 'somewhat agree' to a name someone called me out to be... I've never posted my real name, address or otherwise.
quit crying

United States

#11 Nov 2, 2010
I agree with you all to a point. The point being calling a person out by name and or address. The question that needs to be asked is how did the person get it. If someone chooses to give out their name and or location and I'm not saying its right then they are asking for trouble. I think if people want to remain anonymous then they shouldn't be giving out information to friends and family members. People who are friends with you today may not be so friendly months from now.

Location hidden

#12 Nov 2, 2010
quit crying wrote:
I agree with you all to a point. The point being calling a person out by name and or address. The question that needs to be asked is how did the person get it. If someone chooses to give out their name and or location and I'm not saying its right then they are asking for trouble. I think if people want to remain anonymous then they shouldn't be giving out information to friends and family members. People who are friends with you today may not be so friendly months from now.
Well said.... As the old saying goes "Silence is Golden"...

Location hidden

#13 Nov 2, 2010
You also can not come on here using your real first and last name demanding others do the same. This person who has done this repeatedly brought the topix forum topics upon herself. Then she used her home address and gave out her children's school information. Come on people -- use your heads! This site is not protected in anyway and now your information is out there for the whole world to see, they have your real name, your home address, and where your kids attend school, who is to blame for that?!
Danny

Chagrin Falls, OH

#14 Nov 2, 2010
Stalker. You've asked for everything you've gotten on this forum. You've given out personal info about yourself to total strangers (me for one).
Stop being a drama queen cry baby victim.
Give up on trying to play the innocent one as well. Anybody with a brain can read what's written in these threads.
You are right about one thing though; Silence is Golden. Live it or live with it.
sad

Vestal, NY

#15 Nov 2, 2010
Danny wrote:
Stalker. You've asked for everything you've gotten on this forum. You've given out personal info about yourself to total strangers (me for one).
Give up on trying to play the innocent one as well. Anybody with a brain can read what's written in these threads.
You are right about one thing though; Silence is Golden. Live it or live with it.
right on Danny!

Location hidden

#16 Nov 2, 2010
Danny wrote:
Wrong... I've asked for nothing on 'this' forum and no "I" haven't given out info about myself... I've defended and thats all. Honestly, I don't care what is said to me or about me. Not a cry baby victim on this thing as you call it.... Never did I state I was innocent, but I've never been Cruel to just anyone. And if I had given personal information out by mistake, big deal. I've watched people getting bashed over and over again on here, and I for one would rather take the bashing than to see others getting hurt by idiots. Maybe, just maybe, I'm not the person everyone is I am. Maybe, I just went with it....
sad

Vestal, NY

#17 Nov 2, 2010
nice try whore.Did you know that when you talk you spit on people through that gap?That is not sanatary
reported

Ashville, NY

#18 Nov 2, 2010
Sad has been reported to both the FBI and fcc just to let everyone know. This has gone too far.
reported

Ashville, NY

#19 Nov 2, 2010
They told me it was indeed in violation and they will be doing a full investigation.
who cares

United States

#20 Nov 2, 2010
reported wrote:
They told me it was indeed in violation and they will be doing a full investigation.
REPORTED...you did not just post this. LOL. Good luck sad....you're going to Federal prison. OMG

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kingsmen letting anyone join 2 min Retard 21
How do you prefer your ladies V? 6 min Reason 5
Abortion 7 min Reason 40
Jamie ceci 19 min slap nuts 2
News City Man Linked To Quincy Turner Murder Sentenc... 36 min wtf 13
Ho House Is Open 51 min MOOF 1
Who is Casey lynn without teeth and who is her ... 1 hr ccc 13
Tattoos are for Losers 4 hr yuck 42
Brigiottas? 8 hr Youknow 11

Jamestown Jobs