John

Endicott, NY

#61 Jan 24, 2009
OK THEN posts "Thank God there are people willing to help at all". Give me a break pal. No one twists these peoples arms to become doctors and nurses. You are talking about some of the highest paid people in the Jamestown area(upper 10 percent of the population here in this town). Many people would be more than willing to have their jobs. The road to becoming a health care professional can be long and costly, so not everyone is able to take that road in life.

Non the less the key word here is professional. If these people are getting paid to be professionals, they should be accountable for all of the unprofessional events that are and have taken place at WCA hospital.

I encourage pepople to add their personal experiences with this hospial. It can only help bring it to the attention of the right people so that things can one day improve there.
Oh and by the way, I know there are some great folks that work there with integrity and compassion.
Tom

Clay City, KY

#62 Jan 24, 2009
John wrote:
OK THEN posts "Thank God there are people willing to help at all". Give me a break pal. No one twists these peoples arms to become doctors and nurses. You are talking about some of the highest paid people in the Jamestown area(upper 10 percent of the population here in this town). Many people would be more than willing to have their jobs. The road to becoming a health care professional can be long and costly, so not everyone is able to take that road in life.
Non the less the key word here is professional. If these people are getting paid to be professionals, they should be accountable for all of the unprofessional events that are and have taken place at WCA hospital.
I encourage pepople to add their personal experiences with this hospial. It can only help bring it to the attention of the right people so that things can one day improve there.
Oh and by the way, I know there are some great folks that work there with integrity and compassion.
where they hidin' em?
Amused

Dunkirk, NY

#63 Jan 29, 2009
Oh please the nurses are packed squat at WCA, it's a black hole that soul-sucks caring individuals until they are numb. If you want miracles go to a church, don't expect them from people/churches, it doesn't matter if they're "professionals" face it... they're still people and still make mistakes, luckily with training they make LESS mistakes than say.. you would in that same situation.

And if you really want to blame someone, how about the drug addicts who clog the ER trying to get high while you're there trying to get help.... and even better since they're on public assistance, YOU are paying for them to take up your time and for them to get high.

And anyone who wants to make $12 an hour please yeah go to WCA cause they pay just soooo well. Oh wait that's in the lowest percentile for the New York and the Country. I can't speak for the doctors or administration but the rest of the employees are one step up from slaves.
john

Endicott, NY

#64 Jan 29, 2009
So you are telling me that a Registered Nurse at WCA is making $12 an hour. Yeah Right. And the pay there is close to slavery, get your facts right before you post such nonsence.
And thanks for clearing up that it doesent matter if they are professionals there.
Very Dissatisfied

United States

#65 Feb 14, 2009
I, and my neighbors, family and friends have all had terrible care at WCA. I had the master key to the apartments at the apartment complex i live in. My neighbor (who had Marfan's Syndrome and had heart trouble because of this) went there one night with chest pain which extended down her arm, sweating and purple lips (classic heart attack signs). She tried to tell them she had heart trouble, but they just brushed her off and said she had pulled a muscle. My other neighbor (who was in her late 40's) went there because she couldn't move her left arm and she had gained almost 40 lbs. in one week even though she was always super thin. I found the first neighbor dead in her apartment the next evening from a major heart attack and my landlord found the other neighbor dead from a major heart attack the day after she came home. My father went to WCA in terrible pain, just to be told it was his hiatal hernia acting up and to quit acting like a baby since it couldn't be hurting him that much. Well, he almost died from peritonitis because what he really had was an ulcer that had perforated. He said they never even checked him out when he was at the ER with any actual tests. Then, another one of my neighbors bled to death in their kidney dialysis unit because the nurse (who was supposed to stay in the room) left to take a personal phone call and a line fell out and all of Dora's blood poured out of her. She died, but her daughter won a huge (over a million dollars) lawsuit against them and told about this happening to her mom on the Buffalo news. As for myself, i am paralyzed from the upper chest down because a Jamestown doctor didn't take me seriously when i told him my back really hurt. He said it was because i was a secretary and sat over a desk all day typing. What was the real cause (which they found when they finally took an x-ray close to a year later) was a cancerous tumor on my ribs, spine and right lung, that was huge. I am also dying now because of a doctor's mistake at a local health care clinic. I have critical aortic stenosis. They found it in 1997. The doctor i had (Dr. Stephenson) told me not to worry about it. I know now that they should have kept an eye on it by doing echocardiograms yearly. They never did. They just said it would never bother me. Since i am paralyzed from the chest down i now have breathing and coughing issues and would never get off a ventilator if i had the heart surgery. Back in 1997 i did not have as many breathing problems and would have survived the surgery and not been stuck on the ventilator. The cardiac surgeon said that my doctor really goofed up in not checking me every year. He also said they should have considered operating then, knowing my breathing would get progressively worse. Now, since i do not choose to become stuck on a ventilator permanently, i know i will soon die from a major heart attack or congestive heart failure (as actor John Ritter did that had this problem). So, i don't think highly of either WCA or the doctors in this area. I go to Hamot Hospital and have a cardiologist from Erie also.
legal eagle

Salamanca, NY

#66 Feb 18, 2009
Not worthy of the name hospital. Records center is a joke. They lose records there - on purpose - at the direction of certain doctors who goof up! But try to prove it.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Bath, NY

#67 Feb 19, 2009
You people need to get a life. You're nothing but a bunch of whining losers.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Bath, NY

#68 Feb 19, 2009
Do you people have a life?
Jack

Endicott, NY

#69 Feb 19, 2009
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:
You people need to get a life. You're nothing but a bunch of whining losers.
Excellent ,well thought out comment.
Jack

Endicott, NY

#70 Feb 19, 2009
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wrote:
Do you people have a life?
Man, another intelligent comment 2 minutes later,you must one of those that post here that actually did graduate from Highschool. Please give us something with substance if your going to post here.
ok then

Horseheads, NY

#71 Feb 19, 2009
Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Man, another intelligent comment 2 minutes later,you must one of those that post here that actually did graduate from Highschool. Please give us something with substance if your going to post here.
All you are doing is slamming WCA. What's the problem? Did you get let go because you thought you were above the rules? If you didn't work there, than you cannot know the salaries (this isn't New York city pal.) Whatever. I won't go there. If you had a bad experience, well that happens anywhere. Half the people on here are whiners and complainers, and don't have their info. straight. We all know who they are. I still say, thank God there are people willing to help. Especially, after reading these posts. After reading some of the issues on here, would you want their job? I say " God bless them."
ok then

Horseheads, NY

#72 Feb 19, 2009
Very Dissatisfied wrote:
I, and my neighbors, family and friends have all had terrible care at WCA. I had the master key to the apartments at the apartment complex i live in. My neighbor (who had Marfan's Syndrome and had heart trouble because of this) went there one night with chest pain which extended down her arm, sweating and purple lips (classic heart attack signs). She tried to tell them she had heart trouble, but they just brushed her off and said she had pulled a muscle. My other neighbor (who was in her late 40's) went there because she couldn't move her left arm and she had gained almost 40 lbs. in one week even though she was always super thin. I found the first neighbor dead in her apartment the next evening from a major heart attack and my landlord found the other neighbor dead from a major heart attack the day after she came home. My father went to WCA in terrible pain, just to be told it was his hiatal hernia acting up and to quit acting like a baby since it couldn't be hurting him that much. Well, he almost died from peritonitis because what he really had was an ulcer that had perforated. He said they never even checked him out when he was at the ER with any actual tests. Then, another one of my neighbors bled to death in their kidney dialysis unit because the nurse (who was supposed to stay in the room) left to take a personal phone call and a line fell out and all of Dora's blood poured out of her. She died, but her daughter won a huge (over a million dollars) lawsuit against them and told about this happening to her mom on the Buffalo news. As for myself, i am paralyzed from the upper chest down because a Jamestown doctor didn't take me seriously when i told him my back really hurt. He said it was because i was a secretary and sat over a desk all day typing. What was the real cause (which they found when they finally took an x-ray close to a year later) was a cancerous tumor on my ribs, spine and right lung, that was huge. I am also dying now because of a doctor's mistake at a local health care clinic. I have critical aortic stenosis. They found it in 1997. The doctor i had (Dr. Stephenson) told me not to worry about it. I know now that they should have kept an eye on it by doing echocardiograms yearly. They never did. They just said it would never bother me. Since i am paralyzed from the chest down i now have breathing and coughing issues and would never get off a ventilator if i had the heart surgery. Back in 1997 i did not have as many breathing problems and would have survived the surgery and not been stuck on the ventilator. The cardiac surgeon said that my doctor really goofed up in not checking me every year. He also said they should have considered operating then, knowing my breathing would get progressively worse. Now, since i do not choose to become stuck on a ventilator permanently, i know i will soon die from a major heart attack or congestive heart failure (as actor John Ritter did that had this problem). So, i don't think highly of either WCA or the doctors in this area. I go to Hamot Hospital and have a cardiologist from Erie also.
I cannot even begin to understand the life you must have. It seems with all of the horrible things that you know, and are dealing with, that you are doing very well with your communication skills. That's good that you are that lucid. Stressing or thinking about everything can actually make you sick. So, try to see the bright side, even if it's just sunshine- it's worth it. Mindset often determines physical health. Always keep in mind how you want to be remembered by you loved ones as well. Be strong.
Hard Headed Woman

Lowville, NY

#73 Feb 21, 2009
best care wrote:
I am totally confident that I would get the best care if I was in ICU. I will tell you that when they do not have enough RN's on , they will call them in and they do come in extra. Did hard headed woman really say 20 years ago? Well, I am sure people I know still work there would know you. Obviously, that place wasn't your calling. Don't diss the nurses that are there now, because they are the cream of the crop. As for your ER experience, you shouldn't have waited and called, duh. You should have come in right away and I'm sure that's how your situation would have been handeld. Are you still in nursing now?
Waiting was good judgment on my part....My situation was not life or death. I chose to respect those who were in a critical situation that I was well aware of in my own area. I think you may have misunderstood something I said.
I certainly did not diss anyone at WCA....I only understand how the system works.
I know a lot of the staff I worked with are still there. We may even know each other. To make a long story short..........I have continued to work in Human services over the years.....Not always medical related.
I am very greatful we have a hospital like WCA in our area. I just think a lot of folks have a tendancy to report the bad news instead the good news. No matter what Hospital we go to there are problems. No hospital or human is flawless.
I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with some great nurses and Dr's over the years. I have had a few negative experiences along the way at 3 specalized Hospitals also with family and private clients. BUT, this is life on lifes terms. It would be great if we could have full body scans as part of our general physical.
I know I am dreaming....but it sure could save a lot of greif......
I beleive one issue that causes problems is the the limit to what tests are allowed according to symptoms reported to staff. It just is not all black and white like people wish that do not understand how the system works.
I hope I have cleared up any misunderstandings you may have had with my posts here on topix.

But all in all...I say thank God we have people who care to work in the profession.....Where would we be with out them. I
Hard Headed Woman

Lowville, NY

#74 Feb 21, 2009
best care wrote:
I am totally confident that I would get the best care if I was in ICU. I will tell you that when they do not have enough RN's on , they will call them in and they do come in extra. Did hard headed woman really say 20 years ago? Well, I am sure people I know still work there would know you. Obviously, that place wasn't your calling. Don't diss the nurses that are there now, because they are the cream of the crop. As for your ER experience, you shouldn't have waited and called, duh. You should have come in right away and I'm sure that's how your situation would have been handeld. Are you still in nursing now?
By the way.....anyone I worked with felt it was my calling!! I ONLY left due to a personal situation that was priority at that period and time in my life. Children first.....is all I can say on that note. I would never have anything to say but praise and respect for the Staff I worked with. I also know each one that I worked with feel the same about me. Not that long ago I had to make some very difficult decisions and could not be more greatful for past co-workers and Dr's who would listen and help to know I was doing the best I could to make appropriate decisions for my ________. Life is full of difficult moments....it is what we do with them that matters.....How we handel them...
I am dealing with a health issue that we can not get answers for yet......BUT am not putting blame on anyone.....the body is a very complex thing and we just have to keep trying to do the best we can with what insurance will allow. This is another subject that could clear up confusion for some situations.
yoyo

United States

#75 Feb 22, 2009
WCA sucks. Can you say LAWSUIT???
rosielittle

Fredericksburg, OH

#76 Feb 22, 2009
Too many complaints, lawsuits, and horrible situations to be a coincidence, don't you think? Let the hospital know and let's get better attention when we go there.

“I seek the truth”

Since: Jan 09

Midland TX

#77 Feb 22, 2009
As someone that is quite close to the WCA staff, may I offer some pointers.
Mind you!-- This will not apply to everyone but as a general rule, this should help you to receive some modicum of quality care.

The admittance people are basically good professional people that know their jobs. They see a great number of drunken slobs that are beat up and need the police there to keep them in line.

They see the dirtiest people you can imagine that have not seen soap and water in weeks. Believe me, that does take a toll.

Ok enough of that.
If and when you go the hospital, please do not come with an attitude. We read "attitude" in 3 seconds. Things will not go smooth when you come in demanding action.

Clean up.
Do not come in with filthy hair and smelling like Grogan's goat.
People in emergencys can't always cleanup..We realize that and make adjustments.

When you have a complaint, write it down and communicate it with some degree of intelligence. If someone does happen to have trouble communicating a complaint, have another person help.

Coming to the desk and hysterically screaming with accusations will get you...
NO-WHERE FAST.

If you have trouble with your bill, have all your records with you and present your case in a mannerly fashion.

People that come in yelling "The WCA sux!! We're gonna SUE you!!" will find a stone wall facing them.
Yes there will the inevitable lawsuit.
You will *still* need every bit of documentation for that to be successful.

I hope this helps.
rosielittle

United States

#78 Feb 22, 2009
dee lilla's comments could be made about any hospital, anywhere. Why so many problems with the hospital in Jamestown? Seems like too many for such a small area. And there is a consistency of "screw ups" and that's sad. Some people don't have a choice and are forced to go there, sad, actually.
rosielittle

Fredericksburg, OH

#80 Feb 24, 2009
Oh no, did I hear correctly? Ms. Wright's salary is four hundred thousand dollars a year? Shame on WCA for paying that much to ANY person in that position here in Jamestown. Take some of that salary and help the noninsured and underinsured people in this City! Use it to help!
nknown

United States

#81 Feb 25, 2009
irate wrote:
its obvious hard headed woman works at wca probally in administration sense shes so good at white washing a chit shit house. as far as canada i have a sister who lives there and her daughter as an infant did need emergency heart surgery and she did not have to wait and guess what her surgery was free no double billing no extra suplies charged to her and no consultation fees charged when a intern stop in and say we have a specialist coming in to see you. so hard headed woman i hope wca pays you well for your white washing because ive been on a gurney and know full well about the intense pain one must endure while the doctors walk by with coffee in their hands and nurses stand gabbing about the party they went to and no one is being seen at that particular time after all the doctors are intitled to breaks so what if we have to ,lay there and suffer.
Please tell me you are kidding... you are complaining about WCA and telling me that Canada's health care is better. They have socialized medicine... you get sick or hurt and then get put on a witing list to get treated. The cost is definatley better because the governmetn is paying roughly 70% of every Canadian's health care... But where do you think that comes from...TAXES. I recently tore a few ligaments and went to WCA ER. It obviously wasn't an emergency so I waited for about 2hours at 11pm... not what I wanted to be doing that time of night but who would. I got in got some x-rays and they set me up to see a surgeon. This happened last year and took from time of injury about 2 months for it to start healing. If I lived in Canada most likely I'ld still be waiting to have x-rays or an MRI. So in closing "irate" if you're not happy with the level of service being provided to you at WCA... don't go... especialy for a bump on the head... and especialy if your not going to be ok with waiting there for a couple of hours while someone with a real emergency is being treated. As for your Canada comment... pleade don't try and tell us about the good and bad between our healthcare and Canada's... you are obviously not educated enough to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jamestown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
on point 250 8 min looking 1
Rhonda Kennedy 9 min Caser 5
Jennifer breen 22 min Rofl 23
Pedophile 23 min Steve 3
Rite Aid at the square 24 min 666 big evil 22
chris sorenson (May '15) 48 min Creeper 9
Austin Breen 50 min Girlyy 8

Jamestown Jobs

Personal Finance

Jamestown Mortgages