Anna M

Los Angeles, CA

#3628 Apr 8, 2014
Mom Of The Horde wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you are a speech language therapist/pathologist, I think you are dead wrong on this one.
I have 4 children with speech/language delays of varying degrees, all which include articulation delays varying from barely enough for speech therapy to quite severe. Based off of Kate's posts on CB and the videos she's posted, I think it's safe to say that Joshua has had fairly age appropriate expressive language skills and some articulation issues, but nothing severe.
Articulation from a speech therapy viewpoint is not about vocabulary, it's about the formation of the sounds that make up words. A 6 or 7 year old saying "Don't you agree?" in proper context isn't too shocking, although from a child of that age with articulation issues, might sound like "Dun you ah-gwee".
You make a lot of a sense. However, I've seen video of this kid. The articulation is only part of the issue. He seems cognitively delayed. I don't see him speaking in the manner Parker suggest. Of course I'm not an expert like you so I don't know.

He bottom line, though, is that we know Parker is an insane liar. She has zero credibility. His it strains logic to believe anything she ever published was true. And if the kid has said what she claims, you know she'd of had a video camera conveniently at hand to capture the moment so she could use it to bilk more people out of their cash.
Following this story

Seattle, WA

#3629 Apr 8, 2014
Mom Of The Horde wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you are a speech language therapist/pathologist, I think you are dead wrong on this one.
I have 4 children with speech/language delays of varying degrees, all which include articulation delays varying from barely enough for speech therapy to quite severe. Based off of Kate's posts on CB and the videos she's posted, I think it's safe to say that Joshua has had fairly age appropriate expressive language skills and some articulation issues, but nothing severe.
Articulation from a speech therapy viewpoint is not about vocabulary, it's about the formation of the sounds that make up words. A 6 or 7 year old saying "Don't you agree?" in proper context isn't too shocking, although from a child of that age with articulation issues, might sound like "Dun you ah-gwee".
Thanks for your insight. I was thinking Josh's problems extended beyond speech delays and the physical expressive language skills. I am probably wrong, I haven't followed KP as long as everyone else, so I agree that I should have kept that opinion to myself.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#3630 Apr 8, 2014
Anna M wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a lot of a sense. However, I've seen video of this kid. The articulation is only part of the issue. He seems cognitively delayed. I don't see him speaking in the manner Parker suggest. Of course I'm not an expert like you so I don't know.
He bottom line, though, is that we know Parker is an insane liar. She has zero credibility. His it strains logic to believe anything she ever published was true. And if the kid has said what she claims, you know she'd of had a video camera conveniently at hand to capture the moment so she could use it to bilk more people out of their cash.
FWIW, a few who have met Joshua have said he's cognitively typical (albeit a bit delayed due to sleeping the better part of 2 years.) On the flip side, Kate herself said he'd suffered brain damage from the high doses of narcotics. But who knows what to believe.

I too have a hard time imagining him saying "Don't you agree?" simply because it's not a real common phrase. I think most kids of that age would be more apt to say something like "Don't you think?" or just "Right?"

Then again, Kate said she was recalling the conversation so it's always possible she recalled his words incorrectly.

I think the bottom line is, as Anna said, that Kate is a known liar so everything should be taken with a grain of salt. That's what's so frustrating -- not knowing what's true and what's false and what's exaggerated. I tried to re-read CB but didn't get far due to the frustration of realizing much of those writings are lies, yet I have no idea what's a lie and what's accurate. I've got better things to read in my leisure time anyways.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#3631 Apr 8, 2014
Anna M wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the same video. Remember that the poor kid was supposedly drugged to the gills. Most people sound pretty dopey on those kind of narcotics.

Location hidden

#3632 Apr 8, 2014
All this talk about speech therapy had me thinking... did Kate ever mention speech therapy, physical therapy or occupational therapy for Hannah and Bethany? Most kids with DS that didn't spends their first years in gawd awful Eastern European orphanages start those therapies at a very early age. You'd think that someone who wants attention for being a busy mom of special needs kids would line those kids up for services soon after they got home... Yet I don't remember her ever mentioning that either girl was getting therapy.

Location hidden

#3633 Apr 9, 2014
Mom Of The Horde wrote:
All this talk about speech therapy had me thinking... did Kate ever mention speech therapy, physical therapy or occupational therapy for Hannah and Bethany? Most kids with DS that didn't spends their first years in gawd awful Eastern European orphanages start those therapies at a very early age. You'd think that someone who wants attention for being a busy mom of special needs kids would line those kids up for services soon after they got home... Yet I don't remember her ever mentioning that either girl was getting therapy.
She did mention it a while back, but not so much in the latter writings. I did some searches of the CB documents.

She mentioned speech therapy 2x week for Joshua in a post from Sept 2009.

She mentioned taking Joshua and Hannah to therapy in Feb 2011 (no specific type of therapy).

She mentioned putting Bethany in a stander.

But then Joshua gets sick and she says in July 2011:
"I decided a few weeks ago that I was not going to try to keep up with all of our regular therapy appointments for the kids for the rest of the summer.....I don't want to be gone from Joshua for 5-7 hours a couple days each week while I take his siblings to occupational & physical & speech therapy."

She doesn't really mention too much about therapy for the girls after that.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#3634 Apr 9, 2014
Madeliene wrote:
<quoted text>
"I decided a few weeks ago that I was not going to try to keep up with all of our regular therapy appointments for the kids for the rest of the summer.....I don't want to be gone from Joshua for 5-7 hours a couple days each week while I take his siblings to occupational & physical & speech therapy."
This would be where the services of a respite care provider would help. Megan and/or Adam could have done this work.

Location hidden

#3635 Apr 9, 2014
Kate didn't say he had articulation problems, she said he had severe verbal apraxia. I have three kids with severe verbal apraxia. Its not that they wouldn't want to say what he said, but there is no way they would actually get the words out into anything like a full sentence.
Mom Of The Horde wrote:
<quoted text>

Location hidden

#3636 Apr 9, 2014
Actually, most kids with Down syndrome start these therapies at birth, and they continue throughout their lifetime. That said, did she ever mention Joshua's therapists? I don't remember her ever talking about him receiving therapy. Of course, once he was "dying" there would have been no need. But before that?
Mom Of The Horde wrote:

Location hidden

#3637 Apr 9, 2014
GAH! I should have finished catching up before responding about therapies. Sorry! Ok, but 5-7 hours a couple days a week? I have *several* kids with significant special needs. All are in therapy two days a week. Their total number of hours comes up to 16 hours per week, which is broken down to 8 hours per day, or two hours per kid, but its done simultaneously so I'm actually away from home 2 1/2 hours two days per week.
justsayin

Bondi, Australia

#3638 Apr 9, 2014
observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is this significant to the case? It looks to me like a darling interaction between mother and son. Even if she made it up it's NOT criminal.
These are the kind of put downs of Kate that actually break my heart. They are gratuitous pot shots at her and totally unnecessary.
Some of you make me sick. I'm done here!
Hurray - see ya!!!

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#3639 Apr 9, 2014
I agree about the time, even if you factor in travel to a provider. Even if she could not get simultaneous appointments, she had ADam and Megan who could care for one child when the other was in for services. In order for any child with special needs to progress, it is a necessity and in many cases free or at a reduced cost. I know parents who fight for the services. And, who does not recognize that by adopting children with special needs that you will be spending many hours a week in necessary therapies.

She could have spent time with Joshua if she had used her resources. The girls would have benefited and she would have been home with Josh.

donttouchmytruck wrote:
GAH! I should have finished catching up before responding about therapies. Sorry! Ok, but 5-7 hours a couple days a week? I have *several* kids with significant special needs. All are in therapy two days a week. Their total number of hours comes up to 16 hours per week, which is broken down to 8 hours per day, or two hours per kid, but its done simultaneously so I'm actually away from home 2 1/2 hours two days per week.
Cassie-confused

Taylorville, IL

#3640 Apr 9, 2014
They also have therapists that can come to your home. Especially speech therapists.

Location hidden

#3641 Apr 9, 2014
momtomyboys wrote:
I agree about the time, even if you factor in travel to a provider. Even if she could not get simultaneous appointments, she had ADam and Megan who could care for one child when the other was in for services. In order for any child with special needs to progress, it is a necessity and in many cases free or at a reduced cost. I know parents who fight for the services. And, who does not recognize that by adopting children with special needs that you will be spending many hours a week in necessary therapies.
She could have spent time with Joshua if she had used her resources. The girls would have benefited and she would have been home with Josh.
<quoted text>
Agreed.

Would she have even had to travel?

My next door neighbor has the sweetest little girl and she has CP. There are a couple physical therapists with the local VNA who come to her home to do her therapy.
I'm not sure what kind it is. They've come when I've been sitting her and they work on things like stretches and helping her with her coordination and motor skills. So I think it would be OT? Not sure. But the point is they visit her at her home.

I vaguely recall Kate mentioning something about a therapist visiting the home at one point. But I have no recollection about the context -- whether it was to do therapies or whether he/she was visiting as a family friend.

Location hidden

#3642 Apr 9, 2014
Home-based speech therapy through the school district is only done birth to age three. The only services that are free are those covered by the school district, unless the kids had medical assistance. They would be getting MA if they were receiving SSI. The two go hand-in-hand.

Kate's kids were home schooled, so she wasn't accessing school services, and certainly never had an IEP meeting for either of the girls to establish home-based services for Bethany. Hannah wouldn't have qualified.. Bethany and Joshua would have qualified for home-based services based on medical need, but it is extremely hard to get and requires many meetings. She would have posted about all the trouble she went to in securing these services.
Cassie-confused wrote:
They also have therapists that can come to your home. Especially speech therapists.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#3643 Apr 9, 2014
Where was it stated that Megan and Adam were paid respite workers? I've read through everything (with the exception of some long rambling grammar bombs) and I don't recall seeing a post showing a reference.
Cassie-confused

Taylorville, IL

#3644 Apr 9, 2014
Do you know if that's how it is in Oregon? Because that's not how it is where I live. The school district has nothing to do with the birth to age three therapies. My cousin is an early intervention speech and developmental therapist and she is independent and gets paid by the state. Only deals with the schools when the child starts preschool. My oldest received speech therapy and has never had an IEP.

To qualify here all you need to do is get a reference from a doctor then an evaluation by the therapist in your home.

I agree. I don't think Kate did therapies because we would have heard all about it over and over! But having someone she didn't know that close to her children would have been her downfall.

donttouchmytruck wrote:
Home-based speech therapy through the school district is only done birth to age three. The only services that are free are those covered by the school district, unless the kids had medical assistance. They would be getting MA if they were receiving SSI. The two go hand-in-hand.
Kate's kids were home schooled, so she wasn't accessing school services, and certainly never had an IEP meeting for either of the girls to establish home-based services for Bethany. Hannah wouldn't have qualified.. Bethany and Joshua would have qualified for home-based services based on medical need, but it is extremely hard to get and requires many meetings. She would have posted about all the trouble she went to in securing these services.
<quoted text>
Maureen

Westlake, OH

#3645 Apr 9, 2014
My job requires me to monitors people's oxygen levels regularly.

For Medicare to approve an oxygen system (be tanks, condenser, whatever), O2 levels have to be dropping below 88%(documented on 3 separate occasions if I'm remembering the specifics correctly).

That said, I occasionally (not very often, but often enough that I'm not shocked) I find a person that seems to have been functioning in the low 90's/upper 80's and not symptomatic at all. Most of the time I can hear it in the person's breathing or at least when they are speaking (typically, I've found that a person's speech changes if their O2 is low, whether it be the quality of their voice, or they are speaking in shorter phrases (so they can breathe more), or avoiding speaking). There are a portion of the people I work with that seeing a reading in the 80's would not make me flinch (I would keep an eye on it, but for some, this is not too far out of the realm of normal for them and their bodies are used to it, so they function as well as they usually do).

People on heavy duty narcotics very frequently have low O2 stats (narcotics repress breathing). If a person has poor circulation and/or cold hands/feet, it can cause a low reading. If there is nail polish on the finger being use, you can get false low readings as well. If you just don't have it on 'right'.

Location hidden

#3646 Apr 9, 2014
NO!!! I was there with them in Ukraine... they were BOTH there... I even have photos!
Another mom wrote:
Charlie left Ukraine while Kate finished the adoptions? No! More lies http://covenantbuilders.blogspot.com/2010/10/...

Location hidden

#3647 Apr 9, 2014
Sorry!! I should have kept reading before replying above...

I did want to say that Kate said MANY times that they lived in very small area and therapies weren't available. Uh huh... suuuure!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Home invasion robbery suspect arrested Jun 25 Mariecruse 1
News Ex-strip club owner jailed after commotion at p... Jun 22 mopper 1
The Way it Goes Jun 18 The Mention 1
News Walmart thief lassoed: Rancher on horseback tak... Jun 13 Donna Bevck 1
Child Rear View Jun 8 Introspective 1
kpmomof789 Kate parker speak up about your no l... (Mar '14) Jun 5 Blynn 17
News Emergency services (Feb '13) Nov '13 Shanti Shanti 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages