Eastbound Beach Blvd. Closed; School ...

Eastbound Beach Blvd. Closed; School Bus and Motorcycle Crash

There are 45 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Apr 22, 2008, titled Eastbound Beach Blvd. Closed; School Bus and Motorcycle Crash. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Julia Crowley First Coast News JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The eastbound lanes of Beach Boulevard are closed at Dean Road after a deadly crash.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

WOW

Jacksonville, FL

#22 Apr 22, 2008
laura wrote:
<quoted text>
He was in a bus and we are SUPPOSED to stop for him. Or was that not taught when you were in driver's ed? Or did you even take driver's ed?
YOU NEED TO READ THE QUOTE, AND TRY TO REPLY AGAIN......YOU MUST NOT HAVE TAKEN ENGLISH WHEN YOU WERE TAKING YOUR DRIVERS ED CLASS......ITS IDIOTS AND OLD PEOPLE WHO RUN OUT ON MOTORCYCLES EVERYDAY.....PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE....WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES
Cracka lackin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#23 Apr 22, 2008
Its clear the guy was speeding and timed his maneuver around the bus improperly.

Sad nonetheless. Luckily no kiddos were physically hurt... but I hope they learned a lesson.

Its all to common to have the crotch rockets rippin down the roads. I've been through MC rider course, and you cover statistics.... Most MC accidents are the cause of the rider, not a cager. 70% of MC fatalities are that the rider failed to negotiate the road conditions....
stacdave

Jacksonville, FL

#24 Apr 22, 2008
taking my child to school this morning turned into a nightmare. we did not witness this horrible accident first hand, but did get to witness the "after" first hand. Myself, along w/ many other parents had to WALK by this poor mans body only partially covered by a sheet, w/ our young children & explain the best we could what was going on.
My heart goes out to all of the young eyes that had to see something so terrible and everyone involved.
Cracka lackin

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#25 Apr 22, 2008
OK.. here's the deal with this one..

The guy clipped the school bus.. and kept on going. He then ran into another car head on and it seems like thats the impact that killed him.

Much better reporting here:
http://www.fox30online.com/content/topstories...
Jax driver

United States

#26 Apr 22, 2008
"The bus was heading west on Beach Blvd. It went across the eastbound lanes to turn into the parking lot at Hogan-Spring Glen Elementary. The bus wasn't completely out of the travel lanes when a motorcycle heading eastbound clipped the bus."

The bus was no longer in the west bound lanes, therefore it sounds as if the bus was in the process of going across the east bound lanes, horizontally, and wasn't clear when the cycle hit it.

That would mean, assuming the cycle wasn't speeding (it wasn't mentioned) it was the bus drivers fault for crossing in front of the cycle, and if the cycle was speeding then it becomes the fault of both...

Unfortunately, I have seen it all on the roads of jax...speeding buses and motorcycles alike. Buses that pull to the side of the road and leave half the bus hanging out in the lane (this is especially dangerous if the sun is in the eyes of that lanes traffic), and so much more by all...

I think the problem is twofold, a) people think it isn't going to happen to them, and b) they think because they have the anonymity of being in their car/truck/motorcycle that they can get away with driving crazy and not caring about anyone else on the road..
Papa

United States

#27 Apr 22, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU NEED TO READ THE QUOTE, AND TRY TO REPLY AGAIN......YOU MUST NOT HAVE TAKEN ENGLISH WHEN YOU WERE TAKING YOUR DRIVERS ED CLASS......ITS IDIOTS AND OLD PEOPLE WHO RUN OUT ON MOTORCYCLES EVERYDAY.....PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU DRIVE....WATCH OUT FOR MOTORCYCLES
Who usually dies in a crash between a MC and a "cager"? The cyclist does. Maybe the cyclists should watch out for cars.

“Red Is The Color Of Blood!”

Since: Mar 08

Jax

#28 Apr 22, 2008
stacdave wrote:
taking my child to school this morning turned into a nightmare. we did not witness this horrible accident first hand, but did get to witness the "after" first hand. Myself, along w/ many other parents had to WALK by this poor mans body only partially covered by a sheet, w/ our young children & explain the best we could what was going on.
My heart goes out to all of the young eyes that had to see something so terrible and everyone involved.
That's true, I had to walk by that too, taking my son to school. it sucks trying to explain to a child this kind of a tragedy. My boy was shook up about it. My prayers go out to the family of the motorcyclist.

“Red Is The Color Of Blood!”

Jax

#29 Apr 22, 2008
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey dumbass.......watch out for big yellow school buses too, they carry our children.
Navy

Orange Park, FL

#30 Apr 22, 2008
Papa wrote:
<quoted text>
Who usually dies in a crash between a MC and a "cager"? The cyclist does. Maybe the cyclists should watch out for cars.
Just as much as the biker should be watching for cars the cars need to be watching for bikers. I see a lot cases where the bike was never seen by a car and an accident occurs and its not always the bikes fault. This is a known fact so please take some time to look at every situation differently if you feel it necessary to judge one. Comment appropriately and dont always put one person to blame.
As far as this situation there is a lot about it that isnt known. Although the man who died may be at fault do not sit here and talk about him like you know him. God rest his soul.
Yafu

Niceville, FL

#31 Apr 22, 2008
Agree with JRR, TOM, and hello world..

If you read the article, the BUS was headed WEST; MOTORCYCLIST was headed EAST. Bus driver failed to yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic. Regardless if motorcyclist was speeding, he STILL has the right-of-way. Unless that bus had on emergency lights... bus driver is at fault.

Florida Statues, Chapter XXIII, Section 316 states,

316.121: "The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a paved county-maintained or city-maintained road or highway from an unpaved road or highway and not subject to control by an official traffic control device shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on said paved road or highway."
Yafu

Niceville, FL

#32 Apr 22, 2008
The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a paved county-maintained or city-maintained road or highway from an unpaved road or highway and not subject to control by an official traffic control device shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on said paved road or highway.
dalton

Jacksonville, FL

#33 Apr 22, 2008
well i saw this whole thing happen because i was on the bus. and for sure it was the bus drives fault

“It's A Kind Of Magic”

Middleburg, FL

#34 Apr 22, 2008
Cracka lackin wrote:
OK.. here's the deal with this one..
The guy clipped the school bus.. and kept on going. He then ran into another car head on and it seems like thats the impact that killed him.
Much better reporting here:
http://www.fox30online.com/content/topstories...
That sheds a little new light on the incident. Hope the driver of that car is ok.
It is kind of sounding like the bus driver assumed all the motorist would be observing the posted "school zone" speeds.
What was so important, I wonder, that he decided to not slow down in the school zone and try to zoom around a bus?
Better to be late for work than dead.
Condolences to the family, and my heart breaks for the children and parents that had to see this horrifying incident.

“It's all about me”

Since: Apr 08

Jacksonville

#35 Apr 23, 2008
Yafu wrote:
Agree with JRR, TOM, and hello world..
If you read the article, the BUS was headed WEST; MOTORCYCLIST was headed EAST. Bus driver failed to yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic. Regardless if motorcyclist was speeding, he STILL has the right-of-way. Unless that bus had on emergency lights... bus driver is at fault.
Florida Statues, Chapter XXIII, Section 316 states,
316.121: "The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a paved county-maintained or city-maintained road or highway from an unpaved road or highway and not subject to control by an official traffic control device shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on said paved road or highway."
If he would have hit the FRONT of the BUS ~ yes I would agree ~ however it clearly states he clipped the BACK of the bus, now unless this is a SHORT bus, that is A LOT of bus crossing in front of you. On top of that, if he would have been going the posted speed of 15 miles per hour in a school zone, I am sure he would have had PLENTY of time to SPOT the bus and STOP ~ wouldn't you think?

Niceville, FL

#36 Apr 23, 2008
Why oh Why wrote:
<quoted text>If he would have hit the FRONT of the BUS ~ yes I would agree ~ however it clearly states he clipped the BACK of the bus, now unless this is a SHORT bus, that is A LOT of bus crossing in front of you. On top of that, if he would have been going the posted speed of 15 miles per hour in a school zone, I am sure he would have had PLENTY of time to SPOT the bus and STOP ~ wouldn't you think?
I agree that it was not smart of the motorcyclist to yield even though he had the right-of-way, and he was likely speeding. As a former rider, one of the requirements for motorcycle endorsement is to prove that you can stop the motorcylce from an accelerated speed within a certain stopping distance (15 mph is not that fast). I don't understand, I would have yielded even if it was a short bus...truckers do it to cars all of the time.
ajay

Howell, MI

#37 Apr 24, 2008
All of you people are being SOOO inconsiderate, HE has a family and children, He served in the US navy, I am sure he did not expect what happened to happen. Be considerate of peoples feelings. I am sorry children had to witness such a tradgedy, He was a good man, My husband worked with him. HE DID NOT KILL HIMSELF!! so you all can stop saying that, why would he do that when he had a loving family at home? Please just be considerate, His wife could come on here and read these things and she is already dealing with a huge loss, and has to explain to his children that he is with jesus now. Seriously grow up all of you
Walt Griffith

Lake City, FL

#38 Apr 24, 2008
Yafu wrote:
The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a paved county-maintained or city-maintained road or highway from an unpaved road or highway and not subject to control by an official traffic control device shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on said paved road or highway.
Wrong citation. Check 122: Vehicle turning left. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left ... shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or SO CLOSE THERETO AS TO CONSTITUTE AN IMMEDIATE HAZARD.

I would have used italics rather than caps if they were available; sorry.

Please check out the other thread on this accident; I think it was simply an accident resulting from the sun being behind the school zone sign and a rider who was unfamiliar with the area and the school zone sign hanging right over where the bus was turning. The oncoming traffic has inadequate warning.
Walt Griffith

Lake City, FL

#39 Apr 24, 2008
Additional: The regular speed limit there is 40 MPH and the school zone is 20 MPH. If he were unfamiliar with the area, he would be trying to maintain 40, running into the sun, but should have had ample time to see and avoid the bus.

“It's all about me”

Jacksonville

#40 Apr 25, 2008
ajay wrote:
All of you people are being SOOO inconsiderate, HE has a family and children, He served in the US navy, I am sure he did not expect what happened to happen. Be considerate of peoples feelings. I am sorry children had to witness such a tradgedy, He was a good man, My husband worked with him. HE DID NOT KILL HIMSELF!! so you all can stop saying that, why would he do that when he had a loving family at home? Please just be considerate, His wife could come on here and read these things and she is already dealing with a huge loss, and has to explain to his children that he is with jesus now. Seriously grow up all of you
I agree with you on one hand because a few weeks ago one of my best friend's daughters was killed in a car wreck and it was front page news. Reading some of the posts about how she was only front page news because she was a cheerleader and if she wore a seatbelt *blah blah blah* was hurtful at first, but then again ~ people have opinions and are going to share them. If they mention something that makes ONE person stop and think, then they have hopefully helped someone. I stopped reading the posts about Brooke because I was taking it "personal" and frankly needed to focus my energy on her mom and the rest of the family.
Walt Griffith

Lake City, FL

#41 Apr 25, 2008
Here are three links to riding information, and some throughts on Right-of-Way. I hope they are useful to someone.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/motor... 1

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/ashore/motor...

http://msf-usa.org/downloads/SharingTheRoadwa...

Right-of-way is not a right to proceed. Right-of-way is the roadway and the shoulders. It is the land that has been set aside for the road.

"Yield the right-of-way" means nothing more than "I'ts his turn, not yours."
And getting people to wait their turns is getting harder and harder.

There is no personal right of way; that is, a right to proceed. There are requirements for some drivers/operators to yield the right-of-way, which only means letting someone else use the road.

"Driving Defensivly" does not mean defending our (non-existent) right to proceed; it means defending ourselves from contact. Driving is not supposed to be a contact sport.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) 6 hr Mildred S Cruz 97
Getting more traffic to your Jacksonville busin... Tue jacksonville seo 1
hey jason thiel ! Sep 23 poopoo inkslinger 2
WHY is Jacksonville, Florida HAS so many Racist... (Jun '11) Sep 22 Joe stolz 287
News Judge halts Mosaic mine (Jul '10) Sep 22 Boko Palmach 3
Top Reasons to move and not to move to Jacksonv... (Jul '08) Sep 22 pamer123 162
Michelle Sep 21 Who Dat 3

Jacksonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages