State Attorney and Public Defender (D...
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

#10042 Sep 23, 2013
Babaloo wrote:
<quoted text>
We know for a fact he installed a shower in his own office that is inaccessible to the employees.(Btw, they do not have one. Also, btw, one has to wonder why he needs one at all. His story about him needing it after runs is comical, considering how infrequent he actually goes to work.)
The campaign finance stuff is just another look into what he's about.
Do we know whether any other PDs in the state have showers in the office? Do we know whether this would fall under discretionary spending?
Hitthefan

Fernandina Beach, FL

#10043 Sep 23, 2013
Don't see the shower as a big deal.
Citizen

United States

#10044 Sep 23, 2013
Hitthefan wrote:
Don't see the shower as a big deal.
neither do I. That is why I brought up other PDs in the state. They might have access to the same or similar.
FreeB

Jacksonville, FL

#10045 Sep 24, 2013
http://mayportmirror.jacksonville.com/news/pr...

Here is the article, in case you don't have a paid membership to read it via the Times Union.
curious

Atlanta, GA

#10046 Sep 24, 2013
There was a shower in Shirk's office in the old PD building. There were also showers that employees could use in the restrooms on the main floor of the old building. From the article it appears that the only shower in the new building is the one in his office. I doubt he allows anyone who wants to use it to do so.
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

#10047 Sep 24, 2013
curious wrote:
There was a shower in Shirk's office in the old PD building. There were also showers that employees could use in the restrooms on the main floor of the old building. From the article it appears that the only shower in the new building is the one in his office. I doubt he allows anyone who wants to use it to do so.
Do you believe all public defenders who have such ammenities must also ensure that their employees have the same?
curious

Jacksonville, FL

#10048 Sep 25, 2013
If those amenities currently exist in a building the PD occupies or are in place in a building that a PD office is moving into I wouldn't say that the PD needs to make sure that everyone has the same amenities, but when you spend money on a remodel of a building I would say that you should make sure that if installing shower facilities those should be available to all staff
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

#10049 Sep 25, 2013
curious wrote:
If those amenities currently exist in a building the PD occupies or are in place in a building that a PD office is moving into I wouldn't say that the PD needs to make sure that everyone has the same amenities, but when you spend money on a remodel of a building I would say that you should make sure that if installing shower facilities those should be available to all staff
Point taken. In my more than two decades in the workforce, I have always had a boss with greater benefits than the staff (and that includes me). This is an expenditure that wasn't necessary in my opinion, but was it unlawful?
curious

Decatur, GA

#10050 Sep 25, 2013
I don't think it is an unlawful expenditure just not a necessary one.
Uh oh

Fernandina Beach, FL

#10051 Sep 25, 2013
Who cares about the shower. How about destruction of public records and campaign finance violations. How about handing out cushion jobs at salaries higher than the attorneys. That shower is the least of Shirks problems.
Hitthefan

Coventry, RI

#10052 Sep 26, 2013
Uh oh wrote:
Who cares about the shower. How about destruction of public records and campaign finance violations. How about handing out cushion jobs at salaries higher than the attorneys. That shower is the least of Shirks problems.
Agreed
Semper Vigilant

Jacksonville, FL

#10053 Sep 26, 2013
Uh oh wrote:
How about the use, by Matt and Michelle, of the state vehicle for personal reasons?
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

#10054 Sep 26, 2013
Semper Vigilant wrote:
<quoted text>
How about the use, by Matt and Michelle, of the state vehicle for personal reasons?
Wasn't that deemed insignificant enough that the authorities declined to investigate that?
umm

Jacksonville, FL

#10055 Sep 26, 2013
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't that deemed insignificant enough that the authorities declined to investigate that?
i had heard he cut the state a check to make up for his misuse. so you may be wrong in your assumption that is was no big deal.
Citizen

Jacksonville, FL

#10056 Sep 26, 2013
umm wrote:
<quoted text>
i had heard he cut the state a check to make up for his misuse. so you may be wrong in your assumption that is was no big deal.
You heard that, but there is no proof of that. It could all be conjecture.
Hitthefan

Fernandina Beach, FL

#10057 Sep 29, 2013
Congratulations to Matt Shirk for NOT making this Sunday's edition of the Times Union.
Truth

Jacksonville, FL

#10058 Sep 30, 2013
Hitthefan wrote:
Congratulations to Matt Shirk for NOT making this Sunday's edition of the Times Union.
I'm sure he's glad the Matthews Bridge accident took the spotlight.
ahhh

Jacksonville, FL

#10059 Sep 30, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure he's glad the Matthews Bridge accident took the spotlight.
the week is still young. let's see what happens this week.
trouble

Jacksonville, FL

#10060 Oct 3, 2013
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
You heard that, but there is no proof of that. It could all be conjecture.
Spending that campaign cash for his own personal gain isn't conjecture. I'm pretty sure Jessie Jackson Jr. just went to federal prison for that.
Response

Jacksonville, FL

#10061 Oct 3, 2013
Lawyers for State Attorney Angela Corey say she has “sovereign immunity” and are asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit filed against her in the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case.

Ben Kruidbos, her former information technology director, was fired in June after he testified that prosecutors did not turn over all information to Zimmerman’s defense team in the shooting death of the 17-year-old. Kruidbos said he was a whistleblower and under the law cannot be fired.

The lawsuit says Kruidbos testified in response to a subpoena, and the firing was retaliation for his testimony. He is asking for $5 million in damages and his job back.

In court papers filed this week, Corey’s attorneys say the state attorney cannot be sued because she has sovereign immunity as an elected official.

According to Black’s Law Dictionary, sovereign immunity is the legal doctrine that says the government cannot be sued without its consent. The motion says Corey, a government official, does not consent.

“I think it’s an absurd assertion that she’s above the law,” said attorney Wesley White, who is representing Kruidbos.

Jackelyn Barnard, spokeswoman for Corey, did not respond to a phone call or email for comment.

Kruidbos used computer software technology to extract photographs and text messages from the source file in Martin’s cellphone. He was able to recover more information than the Florida Department of Law Enforcement obtained previously.

Kruidbos said he became concerned that lead prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda might not have turned over his report to defense attorneys.

White then contacted one of Zimmerman’s attorneys and learned the defense had not received the report generated by Kruidbos. The defense did receive the source file from the cellphone and used its own experts to extract data.

Before the trial began, Zimmerman’s attorneys subpoenaed both White and Kruidbos during a pretrial hearing on their motion seeking sanctions against prosecutors.

Circuit Judge Debra Nelson deferred a decision on whether to sanction the prosecution and still hasn’t made a ruling.

The letter firing Kruidbos said he did a poor job overseeing the information technology department, violated public records law for retaining documents and noted he was questioned in March when the office was trying to determine who had leaked personnel information obtained through a computer breach.

It also said Kruidbos was not a lawyer and didn’t have the right to question the ethics and professionalism of the attorneys prosecuting the case.

The Florida Commission on Human Relations has also launched a whistleblower investigation into Kruidbos’ allegations.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2013-10-03...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snow around jacksonville 2 hr Joebrownnn 1
Looking for fun 2 hr Skywalker99 1
Jacksonville police involved in fatal shooting ... (Jun '09) 19 hr Tommy Taylor 76
Cougar looking Thu new2town 15
News Top Stories - Man Suspected in Teen's Murder Le... (Jun '07) May 23 Sadness 31
News Suspect in Wife's Murder Facing New Charges (Oct '07) May 22 Sad Researcher 749
Donna Maso-Furedi May 21 Nathaniel mother 2

Jacksonville Jobs

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages