State Attorney and Public Defender (D...

Since: Feb 12

Windham, NH

#8174 Mar 31, 2012
Aren't you supposed to use a public defender when you can't afford your own attorney? Or is it different in Jacksonville?
you betcha

AOL

#8175 Mar 31, 2012
So now your imaginary friends want Corey removed from office as well? Wow, that's scary. I guess they will be voting for the imaginary opponent you are supporting but unable to vote for.

Wait a minute! Are you saying that there are criminals upset with the State Attorney for performing the duties of her job?

Are you saying that the criminals' families think it's unfair that they have to do time just because they committed a crime?
My goodness, that's an outrage! Someone should notify the POTUS and the Supreme Court that justice is being served in the Fourth Judicial circuit of Florida!
you betcha

AOL

#8176 Mar 31, 2012

Windham, NH

#8177 Mar 31, 2012
Isn't it spelled out in the Miranda rights warning?

"If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed for you..."

Windham, NH

#8178 Mar 31, 2012
you betcha wrote:
Wait a minute! Are you saying that there are criminals upset with the State Attorney for performing the duties of her job?
Are you saying that the criminals' families think it's unfair that they have to do time just because they committed a crime?
My goodness, that's an outrage! Someone should notify the POTUS and the Supreme Court that justice is being served in the Fourth Judicial circuit of Florida!
There are families who feel that Angela Corey has treated their children disproportionately when compared with how other kids are treated in the system. However, I highly doubt that the 2,000 plus people who signed one of two petitions asking for Corey's removal are all criminals. I have no criminal record and I oppose what she is doing. The 184,000 plus people who signed the petition asking for Angela to move Cristian's case back to juvenile court are not all criminals. That's a strange point for you to even try to make. I think you went down this road before...So Sandy has a criminal record? Hallett? David Utter? Roy Miller? Every person who has spoken out about her is now a known criminal?

Come on now.
Clarification

Jacksonville, FL

#8179 Mar 31, 2012
melissa311 wrote:
Aren't you supposed to use a public defender when you can't afford your own attorney? Or is it different in Jacksonville?
You are not "suppose to use" a public defender. You have the option to accept the APD or not - use them or not. You can certainly represent yourself - not that that would be a smart move.
you betcha

AOL

#8180 Mar 31, 2012
These are YOUR words:

"I didn't even know the extent of the problem until the parents of kids tried as adults under Angela Corey started contacting myself and a friend of mine."

I only mentioned the families of criminals because you referred to ALL the people who have contacted you. No one said anything about the other people you listed.

Your favorite game must be TWISTER!

Windham, NH

#8181 Mar 31, 2012
I agree, defending one's self would not be a smart move. I was under the impression that if a person had the financial means to hire their own attorney that was the recommended option. However, the caliber of PDs in Jacksonville appears higher than in some areas. It might be different there. In some regions the PDs are completely overworked and so that impacts their ability to handle a case. This might not be the situation with a private attorney. I suppose it depends on where you live.

Windham, NH

#8182 Mar 31, 2012
You betcha, You are dismissing concerns that people have because they have been exposed to the criminal justice system - either fairly or unfairly. The percentage of juveniles she charges as adults is higher than Florida on average. Juvenile crime referrals in Duval have gone up instead of down. That's a concern. That's a concern that goes beyond the children and families impacted by her prosecutorial style because ultimately it affects the community.

If her methods were working you would not see an increase in juvenile crime referrals. You would see a decrease because it would act as a deterrent. That's the main argument for prosecuting kids aggressively right? It's too early to measure the impact of her style on recidivism, although if we go by every other study done on the topic we can already predict the outcome of that too.
you betcha

AOL

#8183 Mar 31, 2012
It's only a concern in the minds of haters and criminals.

The article I just posted has topnotch public defenders and private criminal defense lawyers cleary stating that Corey is doing her job and doing it well!!!

Only the sore losers from the previous administration and the families of criminals agree with you.

Windham, NH

#8184 Mar 31, 2012
You betcha,
No one is going to say that Angela Corey is not "tough" or that she lacks an aggressive style to prosecution. What you fail to understand and what Corey fails to acknowledge is that "tough" is not synonymous with "fair" or even "balanced".

A 12 year old is a child. Corey failed to discuss the psychologists who deemed him amenable to rehabilitation in that article. She did not discuss the studies that show trying a child as an adult increases recidivism. I love the part where she gave the reporter one of her own employment reviews though. Classic! I LOLed when I read that.

I might have to make this my signature because you seem to think this is some kind of competition. Here it is again...

I don't care if one person agrees with me or one billion people agree with me. Cristian and other children like him are CHILDREN. They should not be in the adult system and they should NEVER be exposed to life without parole. Angela put him in the adult system and she exposed him to life without parole. When her actions did not produce the intended result, which was in essence a coerced plea deal, she got angry and she brought a third charge against the child that she had been sitting on. WHO does that? Is there another kid in America who has gotten such a raw deal from a prosecutor? If so, point that case out to me.

So much for caring about the victim. The victim got to wait how many months until she brought that charge? What was her and Caliel's reason again? Because the defense asked her to wait. In the immortal words of Get a Grip: "Hahahahahahahaha!"

Yeah right.
Clarification

Jacksonville, FL

#8185 Mar 31, 2012
you betcha wrote:
It's only a concern in the minds of haters and criminals.
The article I just posted has topnotch public defenders and private criminal defense lawyers cleary stating that Corey is doing her job and doing it well!!!
Only the sore losers from the previous administration and the families of criminals agree with you.
I read that article and no where does it cite any public defenders as supporting Angela Corey. There is one person in that article who USED to be an assistant public defender but there are no current APDs in the piece.

Windham, NH

#8186 Mar 31, 2012
You betcha,
Quick question...I read the article and saw this: "A job evaluation from 2006 provided by Corey said 'Angela is one of the best' in reference to her litigation skills. It said she goes out of her way to help others but also warned her against giving the impression that police officers could appeal to her with any decision about which they were unhappy. The evaluation is signed by Shorstein."

What was Shorstein referring to in the review where he warned Angela about giving police officers the impression they could appeal to her regarding any decisions they were not happy about? Can you elaborate on that? It sounds interesting...
you betcha

AOL

#8187 Mar 31, 2012
THIS IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF YOUR TWISTED THINKING IN THIS CASE:

"So much for caring about the victim. The victim got to wait how many months until she brought that charge? What was her and Caliel's reason again? Because the defense asked her to wait. In the immortal words of Get a Grip: "Hahahahahahahaha!"

THE CONCERN FOR THE VICTIM WAS AS AWESOME AS ALWAYS!

Removed from abusive home.
Sexually abusive stepbrother locked up.
Negligent parent locked up.
you betcha

AOL

#8188 Mar 31, 2012
melissa311 wrote:
You betcha,
Quick question...I read the article and saw this: "A job evaluation from 2006 provided by Corey said 'Angela is one of the best' in reference to her litigation skills. It said she goes out of her way to help others but also warned her against giving the impression that police officers could appeal to her with any decision about which they were unhappy. The evaluation is signed by Shorstein."
What was Shorstein referring to in the review where he warned Angela about giving police officers the impression they could appeal to her regarding any decisions they were not happy about? Can you elaborate on that? It sounds interesting...
Corey used to teach us at the Police Academy about crime scene investigation in relation to the law and how it applies to prosecution, case integrity, constitutional rights and courtroom protocol among other aspects of the law. That is one of the many reasons the law enforcement officers in this area are so supportive of Corey. Actually, she has taught and lectured all over this country and others. She stressed the importance of evidence to the case and the integrity of all involved. Corey would make sure the police had done their job correctly so that there wouldn't be any problems with the case.(i.e. Brendon Butler) If the case wasn't solid, she would cite the reasons why. They would go back until they got it right.(i.e Robert Denney) When they did have a good case and an ASA would give them a load of crap about why they didn't file they probably turned to Corey to see what gives. Thatís another reason the police supported Corey so strongly. They were fed up with arresting criminals, doing everything right, and Shorstein turning them loose the next day. Saying the SAO had become complacent is an understatement. Shorstein was so jealous of Corey and the respect everyone had for her, he pulled her from teaching at the Academy.

Windham, NH

#8189 Mar 31, 2012
It was awesome? Really? Waiting that many months to bring the charge? Misleading the public into thinking that the plea deal would have solved all Cristian's problems when in fact she was going to bring that charge all along? Branding a 12 year old child who allegedly perpetrated the crime (when he was 11? or 12?) as a sex offender for LIFE? That WEAK charge that doesn't specify an exact date or a place? How does that constitute "middle ground"? Tell me.

Angela Corey knows that Cristian was abused. She knows extensive details about that abuse, told specifically to law enforcement when Cristian was questioned about his brother. At what point did Cristian go from being a victim of sexual abuse (not just molestation mind you, but blatant sexual abuse) and physical abuse to a perpetrator of abuse? If the younger brother who would have been what...four at the time...maybe five...if he went on to demonstrate what had been done to him on another younger child in two years, say? Would Angela still have sought justice for him as a victim or would she be prosecuting him as an adult also? How about if four years passed?

Again, at exactly what point did Cristian stop being a victim and become a full-on adult perpetrator? I'd like an answer to that. Give me a DATE.

Windham, NH

#8190 Mar 31, 2012
I don't think people are jealous of Corey; they are likely just baffled by her decision-making.
hmm

Jacksonville, FL

#8191 Mar 31, 2012
let's not all forget that cristian's problems did not start here in duval county. seems like everyone is putting a lot of heat on angela. what about the state attorney and the dcf people in miami?

Windham, NH

#8192 Mar 31, 2012
What you describe with regard to her teaching and her focus on making sure police did their job correctly is admirable. The problem is that I don't see how the approach you described was applied in Cristian's case. We are talking about three indictments. One was brought when the PD refused to take the plea deal... A charge that wasn't going away no matter what Shirk decided to do. He had to have known that accepting that plea would not solve Cristian's problems. It would not stop Angela from seeking what she perceived as justice for another child, even though both were minors at the time of the alleged offense.

I need you to address that because it makes a difference, don't you think? If the plea deal had encompassed the murder charge, the aggravated battery charge, and the potential sexual battery charge then you could TRY to make a reasonable argument that it should have been considered. I would still disagree with you because it exposed him to prison and a murder conviction, but you would come across as more credible at least attempting to argue that point.

However, everything changes if what Angela told me was true - that she was going to bring that charge against Cristian no matter what. It makes the plea deal completely pointless and irrelevant because of the severe penalties attached to the sexual battery charge AND the fact he would have to register as a sex offender for life in the event of a conviction.

Please address that specifically.
you betcha

AOL

#8193 Mar 31, 2012
I know it's been said before but I'll repeat it for you:

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO BRANDED CRISTIAN FERNANDEZ A MURDERER FOR LIFE. YOU ARE THE ONE WHO WENT WORLDWIDE WEB ON HIS AZZ. YOU ARE THE REASON HE WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE ANY NORMALCY IN HIS FUTURE.

What have you done to make sure there are no other stories like Susana and her family? Besides posting 24/7, what have you done to impact the lives of Fernandez and the remaining members of his family?

You can graduate from law school, live here for five years and then run for SA and if you win, you can let all the killers go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) 11 hr Roger Radecki 127
News Former Youth Pastor Sentenced to Prison for Chi... (Oct '07) 23 hr Wilpri 521
pig bbq sauce recipe (Apr '11) Dec 9 Tom 26
do you have a forbidden sex story? (Aug '14) Dec 9 Kyle X 42
pitbull laws (Jun '08) Dec 7 Bmad 176
News Video Spotlight - Fight Between Girls in Shower... (Oct '07) Dec 4 SEC 33
News Florida - Girls Gone Wild Founder Sentenced For... (Apr '07) Dec 3 Panamaed 13

Jacksonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages