Should FBC Jax Pastor Mac Brunson res...

Should FBC Jax Pastor Mac Brunson resign?

Posted in the Jacksonville Forum

First Prev
of 26
Next Last

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#1 Apr 9, 2009
The TU reported today of Jacksonville Mega Church Pastor Mac Brunson useing his power from the Pulpit to out a local blogger. Are we ready to allow our first ammendment rights to be discarded?
riversiderob

Tupelo, MS

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Kick his sorry nazi butt to the curb!
Hank

New York, NY

#3 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
The TU reported today of Jacksonville Mega Church Pastor Mac Brunson useing his power from the Pulpit to out a local blogger. Are we ready to allow our first ammendment rights to be discarded?
I love the term "Mega Church"

These Wrangler wearing necks are the Wal-Mart of churches. They must be very proud
money

AOL

#4 Apr 9, 2009
Unbelievable violation of free speech as well as abuse of power.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#5 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
The TU reported today of Jacksonville Mega Church Pastor Mac Brunson useing his power from the Pulpit to out a local blogger. Are we ready to allow our first ammendment rights to be discarded?
How were the first amendment rights affected here, does Mac Brunson work for the government or was the government the ones who forced out the blogger?

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#6 Apr 9, 2009
Mr Logic in Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
How were the first amendment rights affected here, does Mac Brunson work for the government or was the government the ones who forced out the blogger?
Connect the dots. Brunson does not like what blogger is saying. Brunson solicits local Judge/Member and JSO Detective/Member to find way to get bloggers identity. JSO detective uses his Police position to obtain court order forcing Goggle to give up name of blogger. Both judge and Detective are members of local Goverment. Do i really need to go on here?

“the doctor is in the house”

Since: May 08

jacksonville florida

#7 Apr 9, 2009
i say disband the whole damn church! the hell with them back stabbers!!
my god

Gainesville, FL

#8 Apr 9, 2009
Well, I am sure that whatever Rev Brunson does is just as honest and above board as his two predacessors, Vines and Lindsey! Look at all they have done to our fine city! Without their influence, who knows where Jax would be?

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#9 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
<quoted text>
Connect the dots. Brunson does not like what blogger is saying. Brunson solicits local Judge/Member and JSO Detective/Member to find way to get bloggers identity. JSO detective uses his Police position to obtain court order forcing Goggle to give up name of blogger. Both judge and Detective are members of local Goverment. Do i really need to go on here?
I apologize for the question but I was unfamiliar with the story. So the JSO had the blogger shut down, was he arrested?

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#10 Apr 9, 2009
Mr Logic in Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize for the question but I was unfamiliar with the story. So the JSO had the blogger shut down, was he arrested?
Thats the weird part. No just kicked out of church and defamed. Its front page of the paper today. Also on Jacksonville.com and fbcjaxwatchdog.
money

AOL

#11 Apr 9, 2009
Here is the link to the story

http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-0...

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#12 Apr 9, 2009
money wrote:
Here is the link to the story
http://www.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-0...
Thanks for the link. Who can afford the newspaper anymore? Besides maybe Mac.
Crimson Dynamo

Jacksonville, FL

#13 Apr 9, 2009
I read the story and have heard about this several months ago and was wondering what would become of it down the road. Looks like it's going to be quite a while before everything comes to surface.
One of the things that surprised me and yet really didn't, was that Rev. Brunson makes $300,000 a year plus quite a lot of other benefits, one being that his "wife" is apparently on the payroll too.
Don't know what she does at First Baptist or what she is paid but you would think Rev. Brunson's $300,000 per year would get them by.
Just maybe someone as qualified as Brunson's wife could do her job and help their family make ends meet.
getreal

United States

#14 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
The TU reported today of Jacksonville Mega Church Pastor Mac Brunson useing his power from the Pulpit to out a local blogger. Are we ready to allow our first ammendment rights to be discarded?
What was done was probably an abuse of police powers, but exactly how were his first amendment rights violated? He can still say whatever he wants to say.

“Just Add Obama ”

Since: Mar 08

Jacksonville Florida

#15 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats the weird part. No just kicked out of church and defamed. Its front page of the paper today. Also on Jacksonville.com and fbcjaxwatchdog.
So a private club kicked out a member what is the big deal?

He is still blogging from what I can gather so there was no violation of his first amendment rights.

Sounds like a typical childish squabble and someone got kicked out of the club house and this made front page news. More reason to read the crap U.
getreal

United States

#16 Apr 9, 2009
Mr Logic in Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
I apologize for the question but I was unfamiliar with the story. So the JSO had the blogger shut down, was he arrested?
Blog is still up, here's the link;

http://fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com/

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#17 Apr 9, 2009
getreal wrote:
<quoted text>
What was done was probably an abuse of police powers, but exactly how were his first amendment rights violated? He can still say whatever he wants to say.
True, But his wife had no blog and his children had no blog. They were also served a tresspass warning. From their Church! Anyway you add it up its revenge for not going along with the program. If i dont like your posts, Do i have the right to call the police and demand that they find out who you are and where you live?
getreal

United States

#18 Apr 9, 2009
Rocgollyg wrote:
<quoted text>
True, But his wife had no blog and his children had no blog. They were also served a tresspass warning. From their Church! Anyway you add it up its revenge for not going along with the program. If i dont like your posts, Do i have the right to call the police and demand that they find out who you are and where you live?
You have the right to complain to the Police if you want, it is up to them to investigate. I'm no fan of FBC, but it is JSO that overstepped from what I've read so far. As far as revenge goes, I don't know (nor do I care to know) the rules or bylaws (or whatever they are called) relative to being a member of FBC. If they weren't within their rights to do what they did then the blogger should contact the ACLU.

Personally, I think this is going to backfire on FBC because now the blog in question has probably increased its "readership" by a multiple that will be measured in the hundreds (if not thousands).

At least there will be some interesting stuff to read over the next week or so.

“In the Spirit of Crazy Horse”

Since: Apr 08

Pine ridge South Dakota

#19 Apr 9, 2009
getreal wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the right to complain to the Police if you want, it is up to them to investigate. I'm no fan of FBC, but it is JSO that overstepped from what I've read so far. As far as revenge goes, I don't know (nor do I care to know) the rules or bylaws (or whatever they are called) relative to being a member of FBC. If they weren't within their rights to do what they did then the blogger should contact the ACLU.
Personally, I think this is going to backfire on FBC because now the blog in question has probably increased its "readership" by a multiple that will be measured in the hundreds (if not thousands).
At least there will be some interesting stuff to read over the next week or so.
Your right. And i dont either. I just think that FBC jax should not have JSO as their own private Gestapo. The fact that many of Jax rich and powerful are members. And they held a special meeting to change the bylaws to keep members from questioning Church leaders is sad. I think Mr Brunson as opened a very smelly can of worms.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#20 Apr 9, 2009
Mr Logic in Jax wrote:
<quoted text>
So a private club kicked out a member what is the big deal?
He is still blogging from what I can gather so there was no violation of his first amendment rights.
Sounds like a typical childish squabble and someone got kicked out of the club house and this made front page news. More reason to read the crap U.
the conflic in my eyes is that there were no threats of physical violence to anyone at the church...just critical opinions of the brunsons pay and actions..nothing illegal....but he used detective brinson, who is also a member of the church to use his power at the sheriffs office to get a subpeona to have the bloggers name made public....then the church kicked him out, even though eventually no criminal charges were warranted..no shit because all he did was criticize someone....he did not threat Any harm....all the wanted to do was to find out who was questioning their practices..once they found out they suddenly decided no criminal activity was committed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Marriage - It Is Inevitable (Apr '09) Thu leahann 140
God bless Timothy McVeigh, a true American hero (Aug '12) Thu leahann 59
Disgusting Rhonda Lynn Chafin Comment > Thu Underestimate Time 1
Review: Petra Marble & Stone Inc (Mar '10) Thu Kel 17
I got caught wearing panties (Aug '10) Jul 15 Please just die 86
Attention All Middleburg Rhonda Chafin LOCATION Jul 8 Underestimater 1
Do You No Rhonda Lynn Chafin? Jul 8 Underestimater 1

Jacksonville Jobs

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages