Somer Thompson's Father Forgives Murd...

Somer Thompson's Father Forgives Murderer

There are 215 comments on the First Coast News story from Oct 28, 2009, titled Somer Thompson's Father Forgives Murderer. In it, First Coast News reports that:

Somer Thompson's father Sam was at the Tuesday funeral and burial. He traveled almost 500 miles from North Carolina to help bury his daughter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
lucky

Parkersburg, WV

#1 Oct 28, 2009
you will always be in my thoughts and prayers. i cant understand how any one could harm a child they are gods little angles sent down from above ,my god bless you.
Hmmmm

Watervliet, NY

#3 Oct 28, 2009
Good thing law enforcement isn't as forgiving or the criminals would keep on going while everyone else prayed about it.

Another reason for separation of church and state. A society agrees on what is acceptable behavior in the form of law and then acts to enforce them separate from religious beliefs.
Observer

Bradenton, FL

#4 Oct 28, 2009
lucky wrote:
you will always be in my thoughts and prayers. i cant understand how any one could harm a child they are gods little angles sent down from above ,my god bless you.
What a load of BS that is.
Westside conservative

Saint Augustine, FL

#5 Oct 28, 2009
Hmmmm wrote:
Good thing law enforcement isn't as forgiving or the criminals would keep on going while everyone else prayed about it.
Another reason for separation of church and state. A society agrees on what is acceptable behavior in the form of law and then acts to enforce them separate from religious beliefs.
Forgiveness does not mean that he goes unpunished. People still have to face the consequences of their actions. You still have to abide by society's laws and face the punishment should you violate them. Forgiveness means that you let go all of that anger, bitterness, and hate you might feel towards that other person and let it go. Between you and that person the slate is wiped clean, but the state of Florida will pursue justice and the suspect will still pay the price for that crime.
Hmmmm

Watervliet, NY

#6 Oct 28, 2009
Westside conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgiveness does not mean that he goes unpunished. People still have to face the consequences of their actions. You still have to abide by society's laws and face the punishment should you violate them. Forgiveness means that you let go all of that anger, bitterness, and hate you might feel towards that other person and let it go. Between you and that person the slate is wiped clean, but the state of Florida will pursue justice and the suspect will still pay the price for that crime.
Yeah. That is what I was saying.
Perry mason

United States

#7 Oct 28, 2009
Go to cnn and watch his interview. Now that is a man who is pissed. I get no vibes of him knowing more than he leads on.
Crossintheline

High Springs, FL

#8 Oct 28, 2009
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load of BS that is.
why???
Ralph

Saint Augustine, FL

#9 Oct 28, 2009
I feel for the father, losing a child is something no parent should experience. But, at the same time he admitted he had not seen Sommer in over two years. It takes a special kind of maggot to abandon a child.

“its a plane, its a plane”

Since: Dec 07

jax for now

#10 Oct 28, 2009
I am sorry but do not think that he has any place to be "forgiving" anyone.......... and if somers mother was ticked about the comment then she IMO would be fully justified.
Hmmmm

Watervliet, NY

#11 Oct 28, 2009
Ralph wrote:
I feel for the father, losing a child is something no parent should experience. But, at the same time he admitted he had not seen Sommer in over two years. It takes a special kind of maggot to abandon a child.
If he had no contact with her for two years and she was no longer part of his daily life it would be easier for him to "let it go in forgiveness".

Was he paying his child support? Did he make phone calls? Was there a problem between him and the mother to where they couln't put the childs needs and feelings first or is he just a "deadbeat dad?"

Since: Aug 08

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Oct 28, 2009
what on earth wrote:
I am sorry but do not think that he has any place to be "forgiving" anyone.......... and if somers mother was ticked about the comment then she IMO would be fully justified.
If he can "forgive" something like this then he's a bigger person than me.
Hmmmm

Watervliet, NY

#13 Oct 28, 2009
what on earth wrote:
Sometimes the person with custody, often the mother, is so unbearable that the father gives up trying to maintain a relationship then he is blamed for it.
Perry mason

United States

#14 Oct 28, 2009
Ralph wrote:
yes, maggot, i missed that part. Hasnt seen her in over two years. A bumb indeed. Too bad though.
Eatin Cake

Atlanta, GA

#16 Oct 28, 2009
Ralph wrote:
And, we can agree on this!
TwitTwat

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Oct 29, 2009
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes the person with custody, often the mother, is so unbearable that the father gives up trying to maintain a relationship then he is blamed for it.
I agree with you 110%. It is not always the father's fault when they can't see their children. There are mothers out there that hold their children over the fathers head. No matter how much the father tries or does, it is never good enough. There are fathers that want and beg to see their children and the mothers (using this term lightly) won't allow it. These women just want to be in control of all situations and sadly they only hurt the child. One day the child will realize the truth and sadly in this situation, she will never know. I hope that he and Diena are able to put THEIR own differences behind them for the other childrens sake.
Perry mason

United States

#18 Oct 29, 2009
Yes, women do do that a lot. But i really dont think momma is as a saint she is made out to be. Whether she has any knowledge of the killer or not. Wouldnt be the first mother to have her not so favorite black sheep she shuns from the bunch.
If you want to compare pain, watch the interview od the aunt of the 9 year old that was murdered by the 15 year old girl. My heart sank.
TwitTwat

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Oct 29, 2009
Perry mason wrote:
Yes, women do do that a lot. But i really dont think momma is as a saint she is made out to be. Whether she has any knowledge of the killer or not. Wouldnt be the first mother to have her not so favorite black sheep she shuns from the bunch.
If you want to compare pain, watch the interview od the aunt of the 9 year old that was murdered by the 15 year old girl. My heart sank.
Where is that story? I haven't read it, I am sure it is heart breaking.

Since: Feb 09

Savannah, GA

#20 Oct 29, 2009
Forgive? I dont think so. Some monster takes my child the way this monster did Somer and forgiveness wouldnt enter my mind. I wouldnt feel any relief until the POS was dead and suffered in the worst way possible.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#21 Oct 29, 2009
TwitTwat wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you 110%. It is not always the father's fault when they can't see their children. There are mothers out there that hold their children over the fathers head. No matter how much the father tries or does, it is never good enough. There are fathers that want and beg to see their children and the mothers (using this term lightly) won't allow it. These women just want to be in control of all situations and sadly they only hurt the child. One day the child will realize the truth and sadly in this situation, she will never know. I hope that he and Diena are able to put THEIR own differences behind them for the other childrens sake.
I totally agree with you. I've see it happen more than once. Then the same women will be the first to call the father a "deadbeat dad."

I don't know what happened in the Thompson situation, but I agree we shouldn't be so quick to condemn the dad. He's in his own personal hell right now anyway, I'm sure.
JustWondering

Orlando, FL

#22 Oct 29, 2009
I noticed yesterday when I read Somer's obit that the father was not even mentioned. Not even as a last resort name. It was as if he did not exist. I know that pain can and grief can cause mistakes and cause people to inadvertently omit things. Somehow I believe this was done very intentionally. I could be wrong and I hope that I am. I just don't feel that their personal differences negate the fact that Somer was still his daughter and his pain is just as real as her mothers or anyone elses. I just pray that healing will take place for everyone involved because there are children still there to be loved and raised.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evening Senior Romance 6 hr Boots Flintstone 4
News Englewood or Englewood Beach? Name change under... 11 hr Brian VonMeter 1
Jose M. soon to be a Shower Queen Tue swp 6
News Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatment at Clay... (Nov '07) Jul 24 Smdh 54
the comic book club and bottle club on (Jan '10) Jul 23 Granny 28 6
where is Wesley merkel (Jan '13) Jul 23 Grady 4
The worst TV news people in Jax are? (Feb '08) Jul 19 Shelldog 365

Jacksonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages