Dee Fords night club and a hotel that...

Dee Fords night club and a hotel that was downtown in the 1980s ?

Posted in the Jacksonville Forum

Kevin in SC

Florence, SC

#1 Aug 22, 2010
I was in Alabama in 1988 to see the races @ Talladega with a dear old friend who recently passed away. Im on a bit of an online sentimental journey re-visiting old places she and I visited back in our youth
We had a wonderful visit in Anniston as a couple of young 20-somethings.
I remember visiting a night club called Dee Fords. There was a live band there and it was a fun place. I just read on Google that the place burned down. what happened?
One night I had way too much to drink there @ Dee Fords and had to walk back to our hotel. So my can anyone figure where was the hotel we stayed at back then? I remember it was a multi story building. Brick I beleieve with small but pleasant rooms and very reasonably priced.
Does anyone have any guess where this hotel was? It had to be just blocks away from Dee Fords if I was able to walk there and back
Also I seem to remember the owners of Dee Fords were involved in some speedway that was being built nearby at the time. Does anyone have any idea what that place was called?
We did a lot of walking around Anniston that week in the evenings. Is downtown Anniston still safe enough to do that?
Thanks to anyone who may post answers here
runner

Camden, SC

#2 Aug 22, 2010
The racetrack was built and operated by Dee Ford on bains gap rd. after a couple years it was damaged by vandals and dees house near by burned. As far as the hotel I can,t really recall.the club caught on fire and damaged it I think it was foreclosed on . I havent seen dee in years.
runner

Camden, SC

#3 Aug 23, 2010
Had a little time to refresh my memory the track was named thunder valley . Nice little 1/4 mile track but with other tracks in the area just couldnt make a go. Hotel could have been the downtowner if it was near a auto dealership ,Now that I think about it seems there might have been a ramada inn nearby on quintard ave. Yes I have a few memorys from there to, had a country band upstairs and a rock band downstairs during that time I think. As far as anniston being safe .theres a few small clubs on noble st. very near from where dee fords was as long as you stay on the beaten path but you wouldnt want to venture out to far.Sorry about the lost of your freind
AnnistonGal

United States

#4 Aug 23, 2010
The hotel sounds like "The Heart of Anniston Inn". Brick building on 13th and Noble.

Dee Fords has been in out of trouble for awhile according to news papers and some who used to go there.
randy

Glasgow, KY

#5 Aug 23, 2010
AnnistonGal wrote:
The hotel sounds like "The Heart of Anniston Inn". Brick building on 13th and Noble.
Dee Fords has been in out of trouble for awhile according to news papers and some who used to go there.
or maybe the old mid town inn,,,before itwas torn down and the drug store built a few years ago...
Kevin in SC

Florence, SC

#6 Aug 24, 2010
The name Heart of Anniston rang a bell as soon as I read the name.
Looked the building up on Google street view and its just like the image I had in my head.
Im positive I found where we stayed

Thanx to all!:)

Kev
Kevin in SC

Florence, SC

#7 Aug 24, 2010
Thought of another thing we got a kick out of in Anniston while I was at work today...

There was some store that had a gigantic chair out front in its parking lot. Theres a picture somewhhere of me standing below it. This chair was huge, maybe 15 feet tall

We took picture of it cuz it was just so huge and so out of the ordinary.

Id assume it was a furniture store
runner

Bradenton, FL

#8 Aug 24, 2010
Yea thats on noble street about 6th street.Suppose to be worlds largest chair .
Kevin in SC

Florence, SC

#9 Aug 24, 2010
Found it on Google street view.

Yup that the chair LOL

Thanx Runner!
mikey

Crestview, FL

#10 Mar 3, 2014
Chances are I was the D.J. that night I worked for Dee at 3 different locations. He has opened a new club out on hwy 202 in Anniston. The old club wentdown fast after he moved and opened a new club in Panama city beach fl. A string of bad managers and employees coupled with the closing of Ft mcclellan was bad. I love the look of downtown Anniston but don't know about its safety any more. I'll be there this weekend. I'll try and check things out.
Kevin in SC

Columbia, SC

#11 Sep 4, 2014
mikey wrote:
Chances are I was the D.J. that night I worked for Dee at 3 different locations. He has opened a new club out on hwy 202 in Anniston. The old club wentdown fast after he moved and opened a new club in Panama city beach fl. A string of bad managers and employees coupled with the closing of Ft mcclellan was bad. I love the look of downtown Anniston but don't know about its safety any more. I'll be there this weekend. I'll try and check things out.
I had totally forgotten that I posted these questions until I was on Google right now looking up some things for my upcoming trip to Talladega Im going there for the NASCAR race for first time since 1989 next month. Im thinking a side trip thru Anniston may be in order just to see if its anything like I remember in my head
I dont remember if there was a DJ or not at Dee Fords. I think it was rock music and not country. I remember one night was dollar beer night and I walked in with a $20 bill and walked back to the hotel with no money at the end of the night. Yeah I could drink alot of dollar beers when I was 23 or 24 LOL
JohnJ

Gadsden, AL

#12 Sep 5, 2014
Kevin in SC wrote:
The name Heart of Anniston rang a bell as soon as I read the name.
Looked the building up on Google street view and its just like the image I had in my head.
Im positive I found where we stayed
Thanx to all!:)
Kev
That would have been quite a walk at night... about a mile+ I guess and right past the DownTowner. Up a hill and down a long hill. The Heart of Anniston was long term "motel" with a kitchenette in each room. My guess is that it was the Mid Town which was down a couple of blocks over and a coupe up from Dee Fords.

Yes, it burned down. The city tried to close it many times. He even ran for Mayor!

He now has another bar open on Highway 202 (Exit off 109 where it points to the Depot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fluoride Exposure 4 hr ummm ummmm good 1
St. Andrews Church 5 hr Your Religion 1
who Sep 19 Speedyhouligan 1
Alabama Special Election Establishment Against ... Sep 18 Alabama Special E... 1
why are waterfront properties in gadsden area s... Sep 15 ThomasA 2
Tri-County Outreach (Mar '16) Sep 12 AACurious 18
Alex Jones was right Chemtrail aircraft to ‘min... Sep 10 Poor Harvey 1

Jacksonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jacksonville Mortgages