Goodyear plant in Gadsden
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#21 Jun 30, 2011
transferee wrote:
We're looking at transferring from Union City as well. Our plan is to keep our home in TN and rent a place in the Rainbow City area for now, atleast until the next contract to see how things are going to go. We'll be visiting Gadsden and the surrounding area next weekend and I hope we like it. It looks nice enough from what I've learned online so far, but seeing is believing. Its not easy moving there. We will be leaving family, friends and neighbors and are unsure how Gadsden area folks are going to receive us transferees. Guess we can only hope for the best.
Whatever you do, come to Gadsden with the attitude to work and do whatever you can to meet production and quotos.As you have seen, Goodyear is not afraid to shut plants just like Huntsville and Union City. The bottom line is making a profit. Disregard what you will be told by agitators, instigators, and paid professional trouble makers. Screw this up and it may well end your career in the American tire industry. Peace and good luck brother. Welcome to Alabama.
transferee

Monterey, TN

#22 Jul 4, 2011
Well, we just returned from a weekend in Gadsden and everything went fine...The people were all very nice...I don't think we met a rude person the whole time we were there...Gadsden has a completely different mentality than the people around Union City when it comes to GY workers...Heck the workers even have a different mentality...It was very pleasant and we enjoyed it! My husband is a very hard worker and if we go, I'm sure those in charge at Union City will relay that fact as they have been able to count on him for years to get his numbers plus some and to move wherever he's needed...

Off of the Goodyear topic, we have a teenager and he likes the water...Is there anywhere in the area where you can rent a small flat boat or even paddle boats to go out on the water? Also, where would be a good place to take him fishing?
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#23 Jul 4, 2011
transferee wrote:
Well, we just returned from a weekend in Gadsden and everything went fine...The people were all very nice...I don't think we met a rude person the whole time we were there...Gadsden has a completely different mentality than the people around Union City when it comes to GY workers...Heck the workers even have a different mentality...It was very pleasant and we enjoyed it! My husband is a very hard worker and if we go, I'm sure those in charge at Union City will relay that fact as they have been able to count on him for years to get his numbers plus some and to move wherever he's needed...
Off of the Goodyear topic, we have a teenager and he likes the water...Is there anywhere in the area where you can rent a small flat boat or even paddle boats to go out on the water? Also, where would be a good place to take him fishing?
The Coosa River runs through town and has very good fishing.Not too far is Guntersville Lake which is one of the best Bass fishing lakes in the South. Get settled in,get a map, and check them both out. Good luck.
Anonymous

Fultondale, AL

#24 Jul 6, 2011
From someone who has "Been there and went through it". Major industry in the USA is, to say the least, on a downhill trend...like a snowball headed to hell!
As long as "We The People" Allow our Gov't and industries to re-locate to Asia (Mainly China and VIETNAM) where Labor is 0.38 cents an hour....this will continue and the good paying jobs will cease to exist. I have been through this friends. I had a "Middle" position with a major company in the area...after 30 years I lost my loocal position due to plant closure. It all started with the "1998-99 Asian Free Trade Agreement". Billy Bob Clinton a Liberal Democrat, ram-rodded this through a Republican, conservation controlled congress. This was done in the pretense of selling our "Old out-dated" technology. This was simply a loophole to re-locate our industries. Labor prices, along with Workmans comp insurance prices were cutting too much profits out of the upper eschuleons pockets. The rest is history.
I personally worked in China, Vietnam, The Phillippines and Mexico. I felt such a hypocrite. Especially in the Communist Countries. When I was on the Yellow Sea in China, looking across the Bay at Incheon Korea where thousands of allied soldiers landed (My father included) in an effort to clear the communist from South Korea, I made up my mind to QUIT and never how these Heathens another thing.
I quit my job and moved back to home and never missed the B.S. associated with it. I do miss the $$ but was it worth it?? YES! I may have "Cut my nose off to spite my face" but at least I can have a clear conscience.
My advice to people who have lost their jobs and re-locating is this, FIND another field to work in. Goodyear will do just as many, many other companies have done. Once they have all "The Ducks In A Row" they will shut this plant down and MOVE to a country where Labor is cheap. The workers have NO BENEFITS. No workers comp. No retirement no nothing.
To further this, in China the people working in the factories I worked in, worked 14 to 16 hours per day, 6 nd 7 days a week. Lived with their family in "Dormatories" with 3 other families. One Bathroom, one kitchen and one bedroom with NO Mattress. They slept on the floors.
They have no cars for the most part, no pollution controll;s or nothing else. The WATER is so polluted the people there cannot drink it. BEER is cheaper than Bottled Water!
So, there it is folks. I hope this helps.
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#25 Jul 6, 2011
MrTee1 wrote:
From someone who has "Been there and went through it". Major industry in the USA is, to say the least, on a downhill trend...like a snowball headed to hell!
As long as "We The People" Allow our Gov't and industries to re-locate to Asia (Mainly China and VIETNAM) where Labor is 0.38 cents an hour....this will continue and the good paying jobs will cease to exist. I have been through this friends. I had a "Middle" position with a major company in the area...after 30 years I lost my loocal position due to plant closure. It all started with the "1998-99 Asian Free Trade Agreement". Billy Bob Clinton a Liberal Democrat, ram-rodded this through a Republican, conservation controlled congress. This was done in the pretense of selling our "Old out-dated" technology. This was simply a loophole to re-locate our industries. Labor prices, along with Workmans comp insurance prices were cutting too much profits out of the upper eschuleons pockets. The rest is history.
I personally worked in China, Vietnam, The Phillippines and Mexico. I felt such a hypocrite. Especially in the Communist Countries. When I was on the Yellow Sea in China, looking across the Bay at Incheon Korea where thousands of allied soldiers landed (My father included) in an effort to clear the communist from South Korea, I made up my mind to QUIT and never how these Heathens another thing.
I quit my job and moved back to home and never missed the B.S. associated with it. I do miss the $$ but was it worth it?? YES! I may have "Cut my nose off to spite my face" but at least I can have a clear conscience.
My advice to people who have lost their jobs and re-locating is this, FIND another field to work in. Goodyear will do just as many, many other companies have done. Once they have all "The Ducks In A Row" they will shut this plant down and MOVE to a country where Labor is cheap. The workers have NO BENEFITS. No workers comp. No retirement no nothing.
To further this, in China the people working in the factories I worked in, worked 14 to 16 hours per day, 6 nd 7 days a week. Lived with their family in "Dormatories" with 3 other families. One Bathroom, one kitchen and one bedroom with NO Mattress. They slept on the floors.
They have no cars for the most part, no pollution controll;s or nothing else. The WATER is so polluted the people there cannot drink it. BEER is cheaper than Bottled Water!
So, there it is folks. I hope this helps.
You missed a major point. The American people,you and I are blindly and stupidly buying this crap from China and all the other countries that care nothing about us except as a dumping ground for their exports. We can't blame the WalMartian Monster for all our problems. Instead of paying attention to point of origin, we reached over American made products to buy imports to save a few pennies. The stores pushed us right up the slaughter house chute by making us think we were saving big bucks, when in fact they were increasing their bottom line. After the stores reached their goal of creating the cheaper -cheaper mentality, they were able to quit stocking USA products. They won ,we lost. We are to blame for the decline of American production.It's not going to change back until we decide to buy American or do without!
Anonymous

Fultondale, AL

#26 Jul 7, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>You missed a major point. The American people,you and I are blindly and stupidly buying this crap from China and all the other countries that care nothing about us except as a dumping ground for their exports. We can't blame the WalMartian Monster for all our problems. Instead of paying attention to point of origin, we reached over American made products to buy imports to save a few pennies. The stores pushed us right up the slaughter house chute by making us think we were saving big bucks, when in fact they were increasing their bottom line. After the stores reached their goal of creating the cheaper -cheaper mentality, they were able to quit stocking USA products. They won ,we lost. We are to blame for the decline of American production.It's not going to change back until we decide to buy American or do without!
Thanks...This was EXACTLY my point...I was HOPING someone would have enough common sense to SEE the message....If we continue to purchase these foreign made products we will continue to see our economic base erode untill...there is NOTHING LEFT! How, pray tell, just HOW can the American people be so blasted stupid. After WWII you could not give away the junk imported here from Japan.
much less...perish the thought of anything being for sale here from any communist country! That was another point I was wanting folks to see. My generation was TAUGHT IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS to despise the communist Gov'ts of China and the USSR (Now Known as Russia for those who do not know). The major hysteria of the 1950's through the early 1980's was the commies were going to take over the world.....and NOW we kiss their A**...how freaking stupid!
Again thanks for looking and seeing the truth behind what my message is. T
GTRchemicalrep

United States

#27 Jul 7, 2011
You are correct in stating Goodyear (and others) will eventually ship these sorts of passenger tire jobs to cheaper countries , not just China, but key destinations as we speak in SOUTH AMERICA and central America.

The Goodyear employees should, as you suggested GET OUT of that line of employment ! it's a losing battle - as soon as Goodyear, Cooper and others can build other plants closer to raw materials, closer to chemical manufacturers (who are also relocating in China, South Korea and Vietnam and INDIA), they will SHUT these remaining plants.

You can find out for yourself !! is GoodYear Gadaden making their production goals ??? THE ANSWER IS NO. Is their margin adequate ?? THE ANSWER IS NO.

But now , withe closing of Union city TN, MORE PRESSURE, NOT LESS will be put upon the production morons in charge at plants like Gadsden ! BUT THEY CAN'T KEEP UP.

Just ask around Gadsden AL to other professionals.

They have just started again accepting a few applications for some high turnover plant jobs, and just authorized a few trasfers. They have also shifted around internally a few people. Some have been re-aligned, re-assigned or even promoted to production positions for which they are not really totally qualified. That is a formula for failure. It's a set up for failure. It's akin to "MOVING THE DECK CHAIRS AROUND THE TITANTIC". But, some of these morons can't, or aren't willing to open up their own eyes and really SEE Goddyear's underlying corporate intent.

That's called being in denial. Goodyear doesn't give a crap about Gadsden - are you that inexperienced ??

The business model for making commodity TIRES is making them as cheaply as you can - low raw material costs, lowest labour costs, LOW logistics costs. The horse is out of the barn on this one people.

Manufacturing of dumb TIRES is going to be shifted to the lowest common denominator !

Look, it's a goddam commodity ! rubber and a few goddam chemioals ! and even the chemicals can be made cheaper in China, right ?

I would simply say that if you are dumb enough to remain in the commodity passenger rubber tire business domiciled HERE in a USA PLANT, you are dumber than a box of rocks ! You should be spending your available free time exploring to be transitioned into a DIFFERENT JOB AND CAREER.

Goodyear and the industry can't telegraph their playbook and future any better than what the industry already dictates ! If you think your salaried position is safe for years, or your retirement or 401k is safe, you are also a certified, gold-plated idiot.

Stop hoping and wishing - pay attention - the industry has already shifted under your big, slow feet.

The only exception is perhaps getting transferred to a foreign plant to work - then you'd be an idiot living in South Korea or China - why ? they will expect you to "TRAIN" a native to do your job or transition a subordinate into "filling in" for you - then they will FIRE your butt and replace your stupid azze with someone with an "executive salary" of about 10,000. Then buy you a plane ticket back to the USA.

If you're smart, you'll EXIT from any industry like this, whether it's Goodyear, Cooper, Bridgestone or anyone else in this type of industrial manufacturing.

Again, ASK AROUND GADSDEN ! they aren't cutting the mustard either, and they too are bleeding over high costs, waste, and hiring the wrong people in the wrong jobs.

I know what I'm talking about folks ! it's bad and getting worse
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#28 Jul 7, 2011
I still cannot understand the attitude of the people in towns like Gadsden that want the benefits of salaries,careers,and retirements from a major employer like Goodyear but when it comes down to buying a product made there ,there is no allegiance to support the plant. If the area was full of people with the real American spirit, there would be no need for a Goodrich,Michelin,Uniroyal,Pir elli,or the host of off brand tire dealers for thirty miles around. If even the locals don't care enough to support the plant ,why should Goodyear care? The same went on in Huntsville when Chrysler employees bought new Ford,GM, and foreign cars and proudly drove them to the Chrysler plant parking lot. Many would not support their product but they sure as hell screamed loud when Cheysler pulled out. If we Americans won't even support our own brands,if won't take the time to check point of origin,then what are the people owed by the big companies?
GTRchemicalrep

United States

#29 Jul 8, 2011
^^^^^friend those days of what you speak have been gone for 50 years or so

Allegiance to a product just because you are employed there is crazy. No one who works at Walmart only shops at Walmart for groceries or anything else. No one who works at Citibank is required to deposit money only in Citibank or get a mortgage only from Citibank or finance their autos there. Those are unrealistic expectations, and really wrongheaded.

You think PepsiCola employees don't drink Coke ? or an AnhauserBusch driver can't enjoy his fav Corona ?

I agree however in a thing called pride !, pride of the quality you produce, pride in your attitude, pride in producing a competitive product, yes yes yes !

Gadsden has a bucnh of slouches and people who don't care about much of anything, therein is their own downfall.

Believe me, knowing what I know, if I were a Board Member, I'd vote to close this facility too, and fire 75% of the hourly folks, and 90% of the management team. They don't have a clue friend.
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#30 Jul 8, 2011
GTRchemicalrep wrote:
^^^^^friend those days of what you speak have been gone for 50 years or so
Allegiance to a product just because you are employed there is crazy. No one who works at Walmart only shops at Walmart for groceries or anything else. No one who works at Citibank is required to deposit money only in Citibank or get a mortgage only from Citibank or finance their autos there. Those are unrealistic expectations, and really wrongheaded.
You think PepsiCola employees don't drink Coke ? or an AnhauserBusch driver can't enjoy his fav Corona ?
I agree however in a thing called pride !, pride of the quality you produce, pride in your attitude, pride in producing a competitive product, yes yes yes !
Gadsden has a bucnh of slouches and people who don't care about much of anything, therein is their own downfall.
Believe me, knowing what I know, if I were a Board Member, I'd vote to close this facility too, and fire 75% of the hourly folks, and 90% of the management team. They don't have a clue friend.
Gadsden lost a leg when the steel mill shut down. If GY goes , they may have trouble walking....Americans could slowly turn the American production around if they would read labels and make it a point to support American industry even if items cost a few pennies more. To many people that is just too much trouble. I know it doesn't bother people today but folks need to be thinking where their kids are going to work. We need blue collar jobs as well as white collar. There is no need for whites if there are no plants for the blues to work in.
martin

Monterey, TN

#31 Jul 8, 2011
i have been told that the Gadsden plant lost their Q1 status from Ford. Any truth to this?
GTRchemicalrep

United States

#32 Jul 11, 2011
Goodyear CLOSED Union City TODAY
Anonymous

Fultondale, AL

#33 Jul 13, 2011
Gadsden, like many other "former" industrial cities, has been promoted by the local Gov't to be a "Retirement community"....that was the only way for the Gov't to TRY to continue to provide services and line their pockets as well. Then the Gov't raised sales taxes to compensate even more. IF these money "Hogs" hadda TRIED, we could've had many more industries here in this area years ago. Such as the GE Plant that was in Rome, Ga. The local Gov't in Gadsden showed "No Interest in accomodating GE when we approached them about locating to the area". According to the company officials in the late 1960's. There have been others as well. This one just comes to mind right away. They left Rome a few yers back. Relocated to Asia and South America as others did and will continue to do.
As long as Gov't has the attitude they have no substantial new industry will locate in this area. Gadsden is a "Union Town" as well. That distracted many companies in the past. Most companies that re large in nature will not locate any new facilities in USA due to , devaluation of the Dollar, cheap labor abroad, not having the expense associated with manufacturing when having products made abroad. I.E. Social Security Taxes, Workmans Comp insurance, losses due to normal manufacturing processes, maintaining a location or paying "Rent"...many others. I was involved in negotiating with the union when our manufacturing facility closed here in Gadsden. The company stated that if the union agreed to work for minimum wage they still could not compete with other companies producing the same product due to the above mentioned plus wages are pennies per hour. The local facility was the only one in the entire corporation that was profitable. This facility carried the entire company. All the facilities hve now closed putting over 2,500 people out of good paying jobs. Most, but not all, employees have gotten new and some, better jobs...some. like me still have not worked for pay since the closure more than 7 years ago. I feel great animosity towards many due to this ... I devoted my life to the company, working 7 days a week 12 to 18 hours per day trying to do the work of 5 people. Had I not invested so many years in this company I would have left before the closure. Now, I am out on my A** with no substantial income.
I, like many others, do the best I can and hope for a better day.
GTRchemicalrep

United States

#34 Jul 13, 2011
MrTee

looks like you have a good grip on the realities of manufacturing, and unfortunately you are a casuality

that said, many still going to work at Gadsden and other Goodyear plants think they are somehow safe and secure for the moment, when THIS is the EXACT time to be well on your way to transition out of this tire business (domestically)

what is odd, it that most aren't still paying attention to the business shifting right under their noses !

for those oblivious people, I have little sympathy when Gadsden and other plants meet the identical fate

Gadsden is NOT meeting their goals- how long do you think Akron is going to accept that ?

the business of tire-making is not some highly skilled job - if fact most duties can be included to be down by computer-assisted mechanization- even more than has already occured !

I say prepare for the inevitable and get the hell out of that specific line of business, or you're going to lose in the very short to mid-term

Keep in mind GTR stated they were going to close Union City by the END of 2011 - guess what ? they closed the plant 5 months EARLIER

don't believe what you're being told internally

don't act like a sheep
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#35 Jul 13, 2011
Why not push for state and federal laws to make tire dealers put up large signs stating where each type of tire is being made. Yes,it's marked somewhere in tiny letters somewhere on the back of the tire,but this could help persuade people to buy American point of origin instead of China or Korea even though it has an American company name on it. Just a thought......... Remember the old TV commercials from the seventys and eightys about "Look for the union label"? Now it's see if you can even FIND a union label.
Anonymous

Fultondale, AL

#36 Jul 15, 2011
There is no viable answer to this problem. Once the floodgate was opened, the only way it will close is for some un-Godly world crises to happen...such as WWII. Now That would cause an economic meltdown...and possibly a takeover of our country....We can no longer support our growing need for products when the industrial base is gone. China is STILL Very Much a Communist Gov't. Slave labor exist. The people there know no better. The Commies took over when Mao Ties Tung overthrew Chang Chai Check's Monarchy. This was in the late 1940's. The Older generation in China is NO MORE. While I worked in Asia several years back I saw NO people over 35 years of age...anywhere I traveled. Bejing, Quingdao, Weifang, Shanghai, Hong Kong...NONE of the larger cities. NONE of the factories had any workers over 30 years of age!
Each Time I ask where the older people were, I did NOT get an answer!
The whole of Southeast Asia is, for the most part Communist.
How soon we forget the past. History SHOULD always teach us a lesson. I won't go into this deeply as in past posts. But Think About IT folks. What would happen if the world were to get into another war? No Steel made in this country to speak of....No Tires....no...well, hardly anything anymore. The younger generation will laugh me out of the country. I mention something about this very topic most every time I go to a store if the person taking my $$$ is young....they all look at me as if I am crazy. Maybe they are right.
However, I will continue my crusade if you will, of trying to get people to see what is happening before our very nose. We, as a people in general, in this country, tend to become complacent with the status quo. We tend to accept things as they are and not even try to get our reps in the Congress to do anything with common sense.
I will hush for now. Good ;uck to all the people in keeping a decent paying job. I am no longer in the work forace. I have seen my better years as for earning enough $$$ to "have" anything other than the very basic nescesities.
From UC Goodyear Plant

Utica, KY

#37 Jul 24, 2011
http://www.ronniedunn.com/videos
The above video is about the closing of the Union City Goodyear plant. Thanks to Phillip Coleman who lives in the West Tennessee area for writing such an awesome song and Ronnie Dunn for doing such a great job on the song and video. Please watch and thanks to the Gadsden people for welcoming us Union City folks!
Coosalady

Tallahassee, FL

#38 Jun 14, 2012
Gadsden is a nice place to live,everything is close by and easy to get to,and then you got the Coosa river which is nice also.But a big beware of Goodyear! they are letting toxic waste into the air which is effecting many people in Gadsden right now,and many are being taken to the hospital daily and i was one of those people,4 were taken in that same day before me,Goodyear could end up being sued and should be for this crime in the air just for their greed.People are suffering because of what they are doing to the air.I would not advise anyone at this time to come to Gadsden or to want to work at the Goodyear plant.Think about your life and family,If they get the air cleaned up and Goodyear to stop placing toxic fumes in our air,it might once again be a place for people to come and enjoy.
yassuh

United States

#39 Jun 21, 2012
Coosa lady

you are right-on ! also the air quality fifltering inside the offices is toxic to their own employees but the employees in the offices like purchasing etc are too stupid or scared to complain, so screw them I guess, but the community should be all over this one
rocker in

United States

#40 Oct 11, 2012
Goodyear to release 3rdQuarter earnings and probably will cook the books ! the company has had several work layoofs/slowdowns in not only Gadsden but in Fayetteville

watch for more layoffs and early buyouts, the company is looking to reduce headcount amid worldwide economic slowdown and consoldiations ! rumors are flying again all over the place AGAIN and it looks like Cooper might be sold to a foreign Asian company - really that's the probabiliy and too much capacity exists

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harper's hires for basketball Jun 30 Stacie s 1
Good suboxone/buprenorphine Doctor in the Gadsd... (Dec '13) Jun 29 Lewis2015 9
News Should bingo parlor allow smoking? Council cons... Jun 28 My Solution 1
I was wondering where to take my toddler to gym... (Apr '12) Jun '16 BRad29 13
Tri-County Outreach Jun '16 Big beefy 4
Martin or Lisa Dindlebeck.... (Mar '09) Jun '16 Marrs___ 7
Moonshine Jun '16 ThomasA 2

Jacksonville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance