Alabama's only immigration detention center among nation's 10 "worst," watchdog calls for closure

Nov 15, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Alabama Live

"The conditions experienced by immigrants held at the Etowah County Jail are among the worst in the country." - Detention Watch Network A national watchdog coalition today called for the immediate closure of 10 immigration detention centers, a list that includes the only holding facility in Alabama.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jan 16, 2013
Curious

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Good !!! Once the word is out maybe the illegals will stay in their own country.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

from their own wetsite "The Detention Watch Network (DWN) is a national member-led coalition that works to educate the public, media and policy makers about the injustices of the U.S. immigration detention and deportation system and advocate for humane reform. " Notice now other countries are not listed, ill give you a guess on what type people staff this place.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Why can't we just contract with Mexico to detain them? i am sure it would be much cheaper than an American prison since the gaurds are paid much less, it would help the Mexican government provide employment and I am sure the Mexican jails would treat their Mexican brothers and sisters much better than they are treated in the U.S. jails.
Who Cares

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

I don't care! Stay the hell in their country, problem solved!
dognes

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

youtube.com/watch...
U.S. Rep. Jared Polis, D-Col., among the speakers this morning, said that record numbers of Latino voters supported President Obama and expect action on comprehensive immigration reform. He said that reform should include an end to the "extremely costly private prisons" for immigrant detainees.

According to the Detention Watch Network, the federal government held about 380,000 immigrants in 2009 in about 350 facilities at an annual cost of more than $1.7 billion. In Alabama, ICE began contracting 15 years ago with Etowah County. The Etowah County Detention Center in Gadsden now holds an average of just over 300 detainees.
CSULB Josh

Los Alamitos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Go Alabama!! Kowtowing to Illegals is not the ONLy reason Calif is a sick broken bankrupt Joke but the $6 Billion the stupid tax slaves are forced to spend making nice with the Illegals sure didn't help.
Curious

Piedmont, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Judged:

Close the Taj Majail? It cost us taxpayers $25,000,000. Now what? Tear it down so the cronies of the politicians who voted for it can make another buck? That 25 million sure could have brought these horrible roads up to maybe 1940's standards. One more example of crooked politicians getting away with crap. 4 more years of Obama will certainly ruin us.
pat

Jacksonville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

jails should be terrible, that is why it is called punishment.

“United We Stand”

Since: Dec 11

Divided We Fall

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2012

Judged:

They should build highway signs that say
"Alabama's only immigration detention center among nation's 10 "worst""
and advertise it heavily.
Help Please

Piedmont, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

pat wrote:
jails should be terrible, that is why it is called punishment.
Most inmates live better than what I was able to afford raising my kids.

“United We Stand”

Since: Dec 11

Divided We Fall

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Judged:

Help Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Most inmates live better than what I was able to afford raising my kids.
Oh, you must be a law abiding citizen.
really

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Well I've been in etowah county jail and am almost sure I've been around some of the same guards that work immigration also. Jail shouldn't be pleasant for Americans much less illegals. Hell I have friends I grew up with employed there. People are nuts. Lol when you break the law you have to pay
ima

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

WOULD GUANTANAMO suit them better? lets not let it go to waste.
pat

Jacksonville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

now that the President has used his executive powers and ignored the American people to grant citizenships to ANY illegal that can prove their blood line to an American citizen, we will have very few illegals left to put in the detention centers. Basically if a child is born on US soil it is a citizen of the USA therefore now his/hers parents, aunts, uncles, 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins etc can all prove and apply for citizenship. If that doesn't get them in than they can apply as a hardship case and get in that way. The president sure did take care of those that elected him. Welcome to the United States of AmericO!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Jacksonville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Jacksonville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••