More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
6,241 - 6,260 of 9,888 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#6678 Aug 29, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
There are ways of doing that short of ending their lives.
I live in the real world not some disney or hallmark movie. When I kill a varmit I make durn shure he dont do that unwanted behavior no more times.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#6679 Aug 29, 2012
<quoted text>
True, bluebirds will nest in other places, but notice how they like "holes" to climb into. What do you suppose they used before we invented vehicles? What do they use in areas where there are no people or vehicles? Yep, dead trees.
So you have a borer killing your trees too? The south is losing the oaks; the north is losing the Ash. I'm sure it's just a matter of time when the insects spread to the opposite regions. Not much we can do about it besides keep our bird populations healthy. Yep, even blackbirds eat tons and tons of insects!
Since I'm planning an Ozark trip this fall, I'll be able to see for myself how much damage has been done by this insect you speak of.
When I cut a cedar tree I take the whole length up to where the diameter is 3 inches. The bottom logs are usually sawmilled. the Upper part is made into fence post. More than half of my fence,s have wooden post. There are little striped woodpeckers that make nesting holes in the post when they start decaying. I never remove the old post unless its a corner gate or strech post. I usually sharpen and drive a replacement post near the old decaying post. My cedar grow on a glade a little bit of soil and then limestone firmly attached to the center of the earth. Its almost all deep red heartwood very little soft white outer wood. This makes them very rot resistant and good for post. Ill do what I can for wildlife If its convienent but when it starts costing me I will do what I deem necessairy.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6681 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Nice outlook, but I live in the now. I believe in protecting and cherishing what we have. Reality is if we hadn't introduced harmful pesticides into the environment, the eagle wouldn't have ever been endangered in the first place.
Pesticide. Not fond of it myself but I realize that we need it. Do you have any idea where we would be without it? I would be fine. I can hunt and fish and grow my own food. I have set my place up where my family can be self sustained for years if necessary. The sad thing is eventually I would have to kill people, people who can't make it on their own, people who would endanger me and my family by attempting to steal the things we have so they can survive. That is the world we live in today!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6682 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Likewise, you could take every blackbird in this country and fit all of them into my garage.
I don't know if humans are over-populated or not. That's not for me to decide.
Likewise, it's not for any human to decide that blackbirds are overpopulated.
Humans decide population numbers every day. Here in New Mexico the Department of Fish and Game decide exactly how many hunting permits are issued based on population numbers. Hunters are required to send back their harvest data after the hunts. If they don't they are not eligible to hunt the next year. If humans decide black birds are too many then humans will take some out. That is the balance of nature.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6683 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
God didn't put the Emerald Ash Borer on this continent. In fact, when he created the continents, he seperated them. Probably for good reason. Humans are the ones who decided to introduce animals to places where they "shouldn't" be. Though Churm and I have some disagreements, I do agree with him on the non-native cat issue.
I also agree with you that "Everything is here for a reason."
I believe in the begining there was one big land mass. It eventually broke up to create continents. Continents are constantly discovering things they thought were never ever there before but have now found deep in the soil! ALL countries and continents have people and animals that were introduced by humans and were not native. Green grass is not native to the United States. I like green grass. I hunt the Oryx here in New Mexico. The Oryx were brought into this state in the early 70's. They thrive. I like the Oryx. The white man was brought here in the 1400's.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6684 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
I would agree that "hunting" coyotes (regulated, of course) probably doesn't CAUSE Hantavirus. But ELIMINATING coyotes can cause all kinds of problems, including the increased threat of Hanta becaue of increased rodent numbers.
Makes me wonder, what would cause an increase in rodent populations if all the animals are protected in the park?
First ask yourslef, "What eats mice and other rodents?"
Answer: HAWKS and OWLS are a huge threat to them.
Hawks and owls also aren't restricted to the park. They have wings. Most migrate.
Now ask yourslef, "How are the hawk and owl populations doing?"
As a bird watcher and someone who has participated in all kinds of counts and monitoring, and who does alot of reading on this topic, I would bet their populations are on the low side.
Third question, "What would make their populations lower than they should be?"
Lots of reasons:
Cell towers
Wind turbines
Pesticides
Cars
People who shoot them
I could go on and on. None of these threats necessarily need to be in the park itself. We are losing them during migration and/or on their wintering/breeding grounds.
That's why it's so important to protect all species while they are still common, even if we "think" they are over-abundant. There is reason they are here.
I see hawks and eagles daily. We have the turkey vultures and the Raven also. I know where owls are but I do not see them daily. I don't know what you people are doing to your birds but if you need some more you can come to New Mexico and get some. We have plenty!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6685 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Very well said!
I have landscaped my yard to attract wildlife of all kinds. I keep things as natural as possible. I try to live the slogan; Take only pictures, Leave only footprints.
But I'm not against living comfortably either. I support drilling in Alaska. My freezer is full of venison and elk. It is the needless killing of animals that gets me riled.
Why do you kill elk and deer when you can buy beef and pork at the store? Is it a need to kill elk and deer?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6686 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
True, bluebirds will nest in other places, but notice how they like "holes" to climb into. What do you suppose they used before we invented vehicles? What do they use in areas where there are no people or vehicles? Yep, dead trees.
So you have a borer killing your trees too? The south is losing the oaks; the north is losing the Ash. I'm sure it's just a matter of time when the insects spread to the opposite regions. Not much we can do about it besides keep our bird populations healthy. Yep, even blackbirds eat tons and tons of insects!
Since I'm planning an Ozark trip this fall, I'll be able to see for myself how much damage has been done by this insect you speak of.
Those birds were not around before vehicles so they don't know any difference. We see illegal aliens in this state and when they are arrested it will be over 100 degrees outside and when they get into an area that has air conditioning they freeze and want the air off. Why? Because they don't have air condition where they come from. You can't miss something you never had! The pine trees here have been decimated with the bore and such also.
Whut

AOL

#6687 Aug 30, 2012
<quoted text>
Churm, It sounds as though you don't think anything should roam this earth but humans and their livestock, and the cute little creatures that only eat insects that destroy humans' crops. And that all should be healthy and live happily ever after.
I could say that is being irrational. Maybe even a little Mamby Pamby.:)
I would never kill an animal simply because it "might" be carrying something, or it "might" kill one of my animals someday. Hunting for food, or killing in self-defense or the defense of one of your animals is different. The first line of defense should be to protect your animals. If I had chickens, they would not be exposed to predators. They would be penned with screening of some type on top to keep hawks and owls out.
I believe God put all creatures here for a reason and we are to share the earth; not rule it. I also believe cures for all the diseases are on earth too. But since we are so into destroying everything before we learn about it, we likely destroy the very things that could help us.
We have decided to relocate 3 Polar bears to your back yard. take care of them & bless you.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6688 Aug 30, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> And I posted a cut and past where folks caught the mouse disease in a park location where the coyotes where not hunted. Just because some biologist stated the hunting the coyotes contributed(CONTRIBUTED) doesnt necessairly mean that if the coyotes whernt hunted the disease would not have developed. The fact is mice & rats are responsible for that disease coyote hunting isnt to blame. Remove the mice & rats and the disease dissappears. If you avoid rat & mice droppings and urine you dont catch the disease. I assuming that the sanitation wasnt as good as it needed to be.
Or it was just "their time."
<wink>

SE Michigan

#6689 Aug 30, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I live in the real world not some disney or hallmark movie. When I kill a varmit I make durn shure he dont do that unwanted behavior no more times.
You live in some video game. You shoot to kill without thinking of the consequences or real long term effects.

SE Michigan

#6690 Aug 30, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> When I cut a cedar tree I take the whole length up to where the diameter is 3 inches. The bottom logs are usually sawmilled. the Upper part is made into fence post. More than half of my fence,s have wooden post. There are little striped woodpeckers that make nesting holes in the post when they start decaying. I never remove the old post unless its a corner gate or strech post. I usually sharpen and drive a replacement post near the old decaying post. My cedar grow on a glade a little bit of soil and then limestone firmly attached to the center of the earth. Its almost all deep red heartwood very little soft white outer wood. This makes them very rot resistant and good for post. Ill do what I can for wildlife If its convienent but when it starts costing me I will do what I deem necessairy.
"Ill do what I can for wildlife If its convienent but when it starts costing me I will do what I deem necessairy."
Me too. A few years ago I had a little Rose-breasted Grosbeak that showed up in the spring. He wasn't feeling good. I took him in and cared for him for a while, but when he wasn't getting better and I realized I couldn't help him, I found a rehabber about two hours away that had the means and the license.

I took the day off work and drove the little guy to the rehabber.
Final cost- one sick day, half tank of gas and over four hours on the road.

The end result- he died shortly after I got him there.

I have no regrets though. I did what I could to help and I know God was watching.

SE Michigan

#6691 Aug 30, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Pesticide. Not fond of it myself but I realize that we need it. Do you have any idea where we would be without it? I would be fine. I can hunt and fish and grow my own food. I have set my place up where my family can be self sustained for years if necessary. The sad thing is eventually I would have to kill people, people who can't make it on their own, people who would endanger me and my family by attempting to steal the things we have so they can survive. That is the world we live in today!
I agree. Self-sufficient is the ONLY way to be. I too would defend my home and my belongings. That's the way it should be. Unfortunatley, the bleeding hearts and the libs don't agree and would throw your ass in jail.

SE Michigan

#6692 Aug 30, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Humans decide population numbers every day. Here in New Mexico the Department of Fish and Game decide exactly how many hunting permits are issued based on population numbers. Hunters are required to send back their harvest data after the hunts. If they don't they are not eligible to hunt the next year. If humans decide black birds are too many then humans will take some out. That is the balance of nature.
"the Department of Fish and Game decide exactly how many hunting permits are issued based on population numbers."

Fine, but when every Tom, Dick, Steve, Jack, Jane, Martha and Harry decides for themselves how many there should be and take it upon themselves to slaughter large numbers of a species because they somehow came to their own conclusion about population numbers, that's when trouble arises and species disappear.

Personally, I want the blackbirds to come back to my home in the spring. Nobody has a right to kill MY blackbirds.

SE Michigan

#6693 Aug 30, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I see hawks and eagles daily. We have the turkey vultures and the Raven also. I know where owls are but I do not see them daily. I don't know what you people are doing to your birds but if you need some more you can come to New Mexico and get some. We have plenty!
New Mexico does have some fine bird watching indeed. That doesn't mean the numbers of some species that spend at least part of the year in your region aren't plummeting as well. Habitat destruction is the largest cause of declines. Luckily, NM still has lots of good habitat.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/co...
http://www.abcbirds.org/conservationissues/th...

SE Michigan

#6694 Aug 30, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you kill elk and deer when you can buy beef and pork at the store? Is it a need to kill elk and deer?
Interesting question for someone who just said, "I hunt the Oryx."

To answer your question, I don't kill elk and deer. And I do buy beef and pork at the store. That doesn't mean an elk or deer can't show up in my freezer one day too.

I love beef and pork, but I try to eat wild game more often these days. Wild game don't spend their lives in captivity being confined, castrated, abused, tortured, drugged up, etc..

SE Michigan

#6695 Aug 30, 2012
Whut wrote:
<quoted text>We have decided to relocate 3 Polar bears to your back yard. take care of them & bless you.
I do not condone introducing animals to a place where they are not native. Polar Bears would never survive in my yard. All I have to offer them is a bird bath.

SE Michigan

#6696 Aug 30, 2012
Churm, if you fire into the trees at night, how can you be sure you ain't killing something marvelous and alot more rare than blackbirds, such as this brilliant Scarlet Tanager that may have just been passing through your area?
&fe ature=related

Or maybe a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, like the one I tried desperately to save?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Or a real rarity, the Cerulean Warbler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
(I haven't seen one in years) Their numbers are in drastic decline.:(

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#6698 Aug 30, 2012
I was stationed in Fort Madison, Iowa when my son was a little boy. We lived in the country on top of a small hill surrounded by trees, one acre little pond and various wildlife that frequent the property. After a long day at work, my family & I would sit on the deck and listen to the coyotes sing (howl). I could sit for hours listening to the birds and watch them dance all about like little ballerinas in the trees, the raccoons that would come to the deck looking for a handout, the deer that would come in the mornings to our deck. My son would to take leftover biscuits and hand feed the deer as their white tails fluttered for others that it was ok to approach.

I will never forgot the look on my son's face and the glee in his eyes the very first time Rocky Road (a raccoon my wife named because of her favorite ice cream) reached out and grab the little bag of chips from the bench and scurried off into the woods like a little masked bandit.

After several years living in Fort Madison, I was then transfered to another state. The last night we lived in our home, I asked my family to join me one more time to listen to the singing coyotes. As usual, the coyotes never failed to bring a smile to our faces with their high pitch howls. I could picture the coyotes in my mind darting and chasing each other, leaping in the air and bellowing out songs of delight.

20 years has now elapse from our last sighting of Rocky Road and the singing coyotes. I cannot tell you how much enjoyment that these animals brought into our lives. My father is now fighting for his life as he is in the thralls of death. I spoke to daddy the other night on the telephone and described to him the beautiful sunrise we had the other morning. My father replied, "enjoy it son."

His shallow voice echoed into my heart as a reminder that life is short. It only saddens me to think that it takes old age with death knocking, for us to appreciate what God has given us........
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#6699 Aug 31, 2012
<quoted text>
"the Department of Fish and Game decide exactly how many hunting permits are issued based on population numbers."
Fine, but when every Tom, Dick, Steve, Jack, Jane, Martha and Harry decides for themselves how many there should be and take it upon themselves to slaughter large numbers of a species because they somehow came to their own conclusion about population numbers, that's when trouble arises and species disappear.
Personally, I want the blackbirds to come back to my home in the spring. Nobody has a right to kill MY blackbirds.
If there your black birds you keep them on your property. If you dont keep them on your property you should be liable for the damages & economic loss they cause. The Arkansas Game & fish does have regulations regarding the killing of nuciance wildlife. They even sometimes pay a bounty of things like coyotes & Beaver.The preventave actions I take are perfectly legal & condoned by the game & fish. We can only hunt crows on certian days because their are federal laws that apply.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jacksonport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blacks vs whites 2 hr Judge 35
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr Ragan 29,674
rowdy yhe pipliner 6 hr 798 2
AR Who do you support for Treasurer in Arkansas in... (Oct '10) 7 hr guest 211
Billy Burton Arrested! (Aug '12) 13 hr Guest 25
jenifer leasure 14 hr rhino 2
AR Who do you support for Commissioner of State La... (Oct '10) 16 hr Adsf 263
•••

Flood Warning for Jackson County was issued at September 02 at 8:54PM CDT

•••