Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#5125 Oct 18, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask you because I can find no evidence for who wrote any of the gospels. I was hoping you could supply some.
Matthew

The early church unanimously held that the gospel of Matthew was the first written gospel and was penned by the apostle of the same name (Matt. 10:2-4). Lately, the priority of Matthew as the first written gospel has come under suspicion with Mark being considered by many to be the first written gospel. The debate is far from over.

The historian Papias mentions that the gospel of Matthew was originally in Aramaic or Hebrew and attributes the gospel to Matthew the apostle.5

•"Irenaeus (ca. a.d. 180) continued Papias’s views about Matthew and Mark and added his belief that Luke, the follower of Paul, put down in a book the gospel preached by that apostle, and that John, the Beloved Disciple, published his Gospel while residing in Asia. By the time of Irenaeus, Acts was also linked with Luke, the companion of Paul."6

This would mean that if Matthew did write in Aramaic originally, that he may have used Mark as a map, adding and clarifying certain events as he remembered them. But, this is not known for sure.

The earliest quotation of Matthew is found in Ignatius who died around 115 A.D. Therefore, Matthew was in circulation well before Ignatius came on the scene. The various dates most widely held as possible writing dates of the Gospel are between A.D. 40 - 140. But Ignatius died around 115 A.D. and he quoted Matthew. Therefore Matthew had to be written before he died. Nevertheless, it is generally believed that Matthew was written before A.D. 70 and as early as A.D. 50.
Just Saying

Jackson, TN

#5126 Oct 18, 2013
Jesus was a Jew. Hmmmm...when and where did He say that only members of Church of Christ can go to Heaven?
Buger Bear

Jackson, TN

#5127 Oct 18, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved, and is the only church of the bible.
I've never met a Christian, doubt that there is one anywhere.
Auntie Theist

Philadelphia, PA

#5128 Oct 19, 2013
<quoted text> Matthew
The early church unanimously held that the gospel of Matthew was the first written gospel and was penned by the apostle of the same name (Matt. 10:2-4). Lately, the priority of Matthew as the first written gospel has come under suspicion with Mark being considered by many to be the first written gospel. The debate is far from over.
The historian Papias mentions that the gospel of Matthew was originally in Aramaic or Hebrew and attributes the gospel to Matthew the apostle.5
•"Irenaeus (ca. a.d. 180) continued Papias’s views about Matthew and Mark and added his belief that Luke, the follower of Paul, put down in a book the gospel preached by that apostle, and that John, the Beloved Disciple, published his Gospel while residing in Asia. By the time of Irenaeus, Acts was also linked with Luke, the companion of Paul."6
This would mean that if Matthew did write in Aramaic originally, that he may have used Mark as a map, adding and clarifying certain events as he remembered them. But, this is not known for sure.
The earliest quotation of Matthew is found in Ignatius who died around 115 A.D. Therefore, Matthew was in circulation well before Ignatius came on the scene. The various dates most widely held as possible writing dates of the Gospel are between A.D. 40 - 140. But Ignatius died around 115 A.D. and he quoted Matthew. Therefore Matthew had to be written before he died. Nevertheless, it is generally believed that Matthew was written before A.D. 70 and as early as A.D. 50.
Please highlight some evidence in your post. I find NONE. Your alleged attributions are not even in the same century.
What does " the early church unanimously held" mean? I unanimously hold that you have presented NO evidence for the authorship of Matthew or any other of the "according to" gospels.
Auntie Theist

Philadelphia, PA

#5129 Oct 19, 2013
Buger Bear wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never met a Christian, doubt that there is one anywhere.
Wear an atheist T shirt and stroll around. You'll meet some!
Auntie Theist

Philadelphia, PA

#5130 Oct 22, 2013
Hey, I don't need to go to church to get saved - all upright bipeds are saved:
28:18 Whoso walketh uprightly shall be saved: Proverbs.

Location hidden

#5131 Oct 22, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
Hey, I don't need to go to church to get saved - all upright bipeds are saved:
28:18 Whoso walketh uprightly shall be saved: Proverbs.
You really have lost your mind, or I should say , soul.
Auntie Theist

Philadelphia, PA

#5132 Oct 22, 2013
<quoted text> You really have lost your mind, or I should say , soul.
Are you saying that your bible is wrong? I see quotes from Proverbs all the time here. I'm upright, so I'm saved - right (except when sleeping.)

Perhaps you are the one who will not be saved:
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.-- James 1:26
Auntie Theist

United States

#5133 Oct 30, 2013
ANTI ATHEIST

Oakland, TN

#5134 Oct 30, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
I ask you because I can find no evidence for who wrote any of the gospels. I was hoping you could supply some.
prhaps we can turn that question around. if you can find no evidence of who wrote any of the gospels that is nothing but your opinion. show us the evidence that they were not wriiten by the authors of each.

obviously some body wrote them
Auntie Theist

United States

#5135 Oct 30, 2013
ANTI ATHEIST wrote:
<quoted text>
prhaps we can turn that question around. if you can find no evidence of who wrote any of the gospels that is nothing but your opinion. show us the evidence that they were not wriiten by the authors of each.
If there is no evidence, it is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Yes, perhaps women wrote them pseudonymously.
If we don't know the author (or authoress) how can we accept the veracity of what is written?

I show you the evidence that they were not written by their namesakes although a good Christian would know it. The evidence is in the names of the gospels. "According to" - end of evidence.
Auntie Theist

Jackson, TN

#5136 Oct 31, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is no evidence, it is not an opinion, it is a fact.
Yes, perhaps women wrote them pseudonymously.
If we don't know the author (or authoress) how can we accept the veracity of what is written?
I show you the evidence that they were not written by their namesakes although a good Christian would know it. The evidence is in the names of the gospels. "According to" - end of evidence.
It's really the moral issues that trouble me.
Auntie Theist

Jackson, TN

#5137 Oct 31, 2013
ANTI ATHEIST wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not look very hard though.

Location hidden

#5138 Nov 4, 2013
Here are nearly a dozen natural phenomena which conflict with the evolutionary idea that the universe is billions of years old. The numbers I list below in bold print (often millions of years) are maximum possible ages set by each process, not the actual ages. The numbers in italics are the ages required by evolutionary theory for each item. The point is that the maximum possible ages are always much less that the required evolutionary ages, while the biblical age (6,000-10,000 years) always fits comfortably within the maximum possible ages. Thus the following items are evidence against the evolutionary time-scale and for the biblical time-scale.

Much more young-world evidence exists, but I have chosen these items for brevity and simplicity. Some of the items on this list can be reconciled with an old universe only by making a series of improbable and unproven assumptions; others can fit in only with a young universe. The list starts with distant astronomic phenomena and works its way down to Earth, ending with everyday facts.

1. Comets disintegrate too quickly.

2. Not enough mud on the sea floor.

3. Not enough sodium in the sea.

4. Earth's magnetic field is decaying too fast.

5. Many strata are too tightly bent.

6. Injected sandstone shortens geologic 'ages'.

7. Fossil radioactivity shortens geologic 'ages' to a few years.

8. Helium in the wrong places.

9. Not enough Stone Age skeletons.

10. Agriculture is too recent.

11. History is too short.

According to evolutionists, Stone Age man existed for 100,000 years before beginning to make written records about 4,000-5,000 years ago. Prehistoric man built megalithic monuments, made beautiful cave paintings, and kept records of lunar phases.(23) Why would he wait a thousand centuries before using the same skills to record history? The biblical time-scale is much more likely.(22)

http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c012.ht ...
Auntie Theist

United States

#5139 Nov 4, 2013
Here are nearly a dozen natural phenomena which conflict with the evolutionary idea that the universe is billions of years old. The numbers I list below in bold print (often millions of years) are maximum possible ages set by each process, not the actual ages. The numbers in italics are the ages required by evolutionary theory for each item. The point is that the maximum possible ages are always much less that the required evolutionary ages, while the biblical age (6,000-10,000 years) always fits comfortably within the maximum possible ages. Thus the following items are evidence against the evolutionary time-scale and for the biblical time-scale.
Much more young-world evidence exists, but I have chosen these items for brevity and simplicity. Some of the items on this list can be reconciled with an old universe only by making a series of improbable and unproven assumptions; others can fit in only with a young universe. The list starts with distant astronomic phenomena and works its way down to Earth, ending with everyday facts.
1. Comets disintegrate too quickly.
2. Not enough mud on the sea floor.
3. Not enough sodium in the sea.
4. Earth's magnetic field is decaying too fast.
5. Many strata are too tightly bent.
6. Injected sandstone shortens geologic 'ages'.
7. Fossil radioactivity shortens geologic 'ages' to a few years.
8. Helium in the wrong places.
9. Not enough Stone Age skeletons.
10. Agriculture is too recent.
11. History is too short.
According to evolutionists, Stone Age man existed for 100,000 years before beginning to make written records about 4,000-5,000 years ago. Prehistoric man built megalithic monuments, made beautiful cave paintings, and kept records of lunar phases.(23) Why would he wait a thousand centuries before using the same skills to record history? The biblical time-scale is much more likely.(22)
http://christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c012.ht ...
You have plagiarized that from the Church of Christ thread and you know it has been answered, but you are afraid to read the answers which come from a genuine scientific website and not a theological, pseudoscience fake.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/misc...

You also saw this: "You can also learn about the accuracy of dating the earth from a 50 year old Nobel lecture which every genuine scientist (but not theologian) accepts as factual.
We have progressed dramatically since this "old technology" but even then, it was accurate enough to shoot down a baby earth."
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemis...
Auntie Theist

United States

#5140 Nov 4, 2013
Does my freethinking and freeposting shock your religiously controlled sex life? I have no sexual hang ups caused by religion. If you feel guilt and experience shame it is because of your religion. I'll bet it hurts to even think of it, but I force you to.
I ask again - do you masturbate?

Location hidden

#5141 Nov 4, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
Does my freethinking and freeposting shock your religiously controlled sex life? I have no sexual hang ups caused by religion. If you feel guilt and experience shame it is because of your religion. I'll bet it hurts to even think of it, but I force you to.
I ask again - do you masturbate?
What I do in private with my wife is none of anybody's business, some of us believe in privacy when it comes to certain things.

Since: Mar 13

Jackson, TN

#5142 Nov 4, 2013
<quoted text> What I do in private with my wife is none of anybody's business, some of us believe in privacy when it comes to certain things.
As long as it is biblicaly sound though, right? I mean, that gay couple down the road better not be falling in love without your god's permission, right?

Since: Mar 13

Jackson, TN

#5143 Nov 4, 2013
removed text, link to original source here: http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2005...
Here is a blog where the guy breaks down each one: http://aigbusted.blogspot.com/2007/09/humphre...

and here was what I replied with as well:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/jackson-tn/TA...

Location hidden

#5144 Nov 4, 2013
another viewer wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as it is biblicaly sound though, right? I mean, that gay couple down the road better not be falling in love without your god's permission, right?
Gay people will not get God's permission.“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”
—1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV) Among all the sins mentioned in the Bible, perhaps none is more disgusting to God than that of homosexuality. God destroyed two cities in the plains of Jordan, called Sodom and Gomorrah, because their wickedness was exceedingly great (Genesis 13:10-13). Our English word, "sodomy" is a derivative of the word "Sodom," for the cities were full of the sins of sodomy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bob Alvey editorial 30 min gus 4
Misty Ethridge 37 min Not 3
Sky Zone (Nov '13) 37 min go build your own... 43
Nice Day for Crawfish and Photography 48 min jimmy 6
Judge Little (Jun '13) 1 hr Please 68
Texting gal pals 2 hr aunties boothang 3
where are the bi guys at 2 hr aunties boothang 26
Muse Park Body 9 hr Dave 25
Englewood Baptist Church Fri Invite Me I Will ... 136
More from around the web