The Church of Christ is the only chur...
I was blind but now I see

Jackson, TN

#2805 Feb 16, 2013
"Cyclist" asked for an approved list of expedients. Obviously it is up to "Working for the Lord to provide one. But in reality FHU has the CoC rule book. You are kidding yourself when you say that each congregation is autonomous. FHU controls the thinking of these congregations.
Do you believe the CoC today is having the same worhsip service, just like they were almost two thousands years ago. With your legalistic thinking if they were having Sunday School, why wasn't it mentioned. Do you think if the Church of Christ churches does not have Sunday school, will the members go to hell?? What if the Church of Christ churches only met one time a week to worship(not three times) will the members go to Hell? What about it "Working for the Lord".

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#2806 Feb 16, 2013
I was blind but now I see wrote:
So"Working for the Lord" does a congregation need to be good stewards of the money? Why do we need extravgant church buildings with NBA gymnasiums. Is this a work of the Church? Have you ever read the budget of one of these churches. Some of the insurance premiums can run thousands of dollars per year. Utilites can easily be over a couple thousand a month. I think the Lord would want us to use his money more wisely.
I am totally against churches having things like a basketball court, swimming pool,etc. I believe churches should have ONLY things thst sre sbsolutely needed to teach and spread the word. These megachurches in my eyes is a waste of money that could be used to help more people in crisis. Churches should have NOTHING but things that are necessary and I do mean necessary. Churches should be looking to cut cost every way they can . Buses and vans that are just plain and not custom made if they choose to use them. I am very disappointed in the construction I see going on today with churches being built with every ammenity for pleasure and comfort, it's shameful and a sin to use the money like this instead of reaching out and helping as many people they can by using the money the right way.
I was blind but now I see

Jackson, TN

#2807 Feb 16, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> I am totally against churches having things like a basketball court, swimming pool,etc. I believe churches should have ONLY things thst sre sbsolutely needed to teach and spread the word. These megachurches in my eyes is a waste of money that could be used to help more people in crisis. Churches should have NOTHING but things that are necessary and I do mean necessary. Churches should be looking to cut cost every way they can . Buses and vans that are just plain and not custom made if they choose to use them. I am very disappointed in the construction I see going on today with churches being built with every ammenity for pleasure and comfort, it's shameful and a sin to use the money like this instead of reaching out and helping as many people they can by using the money the right way.
Hey something we actually agree on.
Cigarette Steve

United States

#2808 Feb 16, 2013
Final part,

For many people today when presented with the numerous Christian denominations are totally confused, and rightly so. Calvinism and Catholicism, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, Anglicans and Baptists, and many, many more, in fact hundreds of ‘Christian’ denominations claim to hold to Biblical truth, yet their doctrines (as their opponents will happily point out) contradict sound Bible teaching. Yet in the beginning there was one church based on the teaching of Christ through His apostles, as written and handed down through the Bible. So how has this confusion come about and when did it happen? This survey will attempt to show how this has happened, the struggle of Christians who were faithful in opposing this, and lastly to show that it is possible still to Worship God in the manner that He expects.

In fact in view of all of this confusion the writer believes that the only way to get back to the truth is to use the Bible, in seeking answers about the Christian Faith. It would take a lifetime to check each and every denomination and to work out the history of their particular doctrines, it is far easier and safer to go to the Bible direct and to ignore the teachings and traditions of men.

In the Bible the inspired writers claim that Jesus is none other than the Christ, God Himself. The New Testament teaches that salvation is through Christ, so all mankind needs and is obliged to check these statements found in Holy Scripture. And we must reach the right conclusion, for if the Bible is right and we get it wrong we will spend eternity outside of Heaven and outside of the fellowship of God. Clearly the most important task of any responsible person is to check the claims made in the Bible and to act accordingly.

The people who are written about wore no name other than ‘Christian’. For convenience in this study we will use the same term and refer to the congregations who met together to Worship the Lord as ‘churches of Christ’. This description was given in Paul’s letter to the Romans in chapter sixteen verse sixteen. The term ‘church of Christ’ is a common designation made in the English language referring to those churches who are ‘in Christ’.

The 'church of Christ' is none other than Christians who make up the body of Christ, His spiritual Kingdom on Earth.
suck the inside part of my ash-hole you prick. I'll stick a swisher in ya and we'll go thrash coconuts on your head
sad

Jackson, TN

#2809 Feb 16, 2013
<quoted text> These examples don't say sing silently, Let us now look at what the New Testament says regarding music in worship. The emphasis I make in these passages will be noted by capitalization and bold print.
Matthew 26:30---"And when they had SUNG a hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives."
Acts 16:25---"And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed and SANG praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them."[ notice the prisoners heard them.]
Romans 15:9---"And that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy; as it is written:'For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and SING unto thy name.'"
I Corinthians 14:15---"What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will SING with the spirit, and I will SING with the understanding also."
Ephesians 5:19---"Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, SINGING and making melody in your heart to the Lord."
Colossians 3:16---"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, SINGING with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
Hebrews 2:12---"Saying,'I will declare thy name unto my brethren; In the midst of the church will I SING praise unto thee.'"
James 5:13---"Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him SING psalms."
Having read these passages, can you say that the instrument of music is commanded in any of them? Can you find in these passages, or any other New Testament passage, an example of instrumental music in worship? Is there one place where the instrument is implied in any of these verses? There is neither command, example or implication of instruments of music in worship in the New Testament. Thus, we do not use the instrument in our worship because there is no command to do so, no example of its use in the New Testament church and there is not even an implication that it was ever used in New Testament worship to God, with God's approval.
ok and they don't say not to have musical instrements in Church either.You want to take one out of context and the other you take it like it says.Now that's man made religion for you.CoC is man made and you know it. Remember it wasn't started till to moron brothers,im sure kin to you got mad over where to put the piano. Pure and simple man made religion. God yawns everytime you morons open the doors. He goes to sleep and tells the angels to wake him when it's over. Is doug your dad cause he's one of the many morons that think his sh*t doesn't stink!!
Really

Memphis, TN

#2810 Feb 16, 2013
"Working for The Lord" you better be very careful when you judge or mock someone that worships differently than you. Remember David danced before The Lord. His wife mocked his worship and GOD cursed her..The bible states that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever..That tells me what he onced loved he still loves and that is PRAISE! We were created to worship Him! The bible states if we don't praise him the ROCKS will cry out! It doesn't say The Rocks will MAKE MELODY! I refuse to let a rock cry out in my place!

Also when you make melody IN YOUR HEART it's just like having a prayer in your heart. Key words are IN YOUR HEART when you have a song in your heart NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU! The worship you are describing is making melody with your VOICE! Hmmmm doesn't that mean you are ADDING to what the scripture says?

Personally I know God honors all who worship HIM! Whether it be a song, silent tear, a hand clap of Praise or a song in your heart: and you don't have to be in a church building! The bible says where 2 or 3 gather in His name he will be in the midst. I have personally been in the presence of the one true God! When you worship and praise him he will come! When His presence enters the room the ATMOSPHERE will change! When the praises go up blessings come down! I will bless The Lord at all times! His praise shall continually be in my mouth! We worship not because we are worthy. We worship because He is worthy! He is worthy of ALL MY PRAISE!
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2811 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text> Character of the churches
1.Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7)- the church that had forsaken its first love (2:4).
2.Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11)- the church that would suffer persecution (2:10).
3.Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17)- the church that needed to repent (2:16).
4.Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29)- the church that had a false prophetess (2:20).
5.Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6)- the church that had fallen asleep (3:2).
6.Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13)- the church that had endured patiently (3:10).
7.Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22)- the church that was lukewarm and insipid (to God)(3:16).
The Seven Churches of Revelation, also known as The Seven Churches of the Apocalypse and The Seven Churches of Asia (referring to the Roman province of Asia, not the entire continent), are seven major churches of Early Christianity, as mentioned in the New Testament Book of Revelation and written to by John the Apostle. All seven sites are in modern-day Turkey and no longer have significant Christian populations because the majority of the Greek population had been deported under the Convention Concerning the Exchange of Greek and Turkish Populations signed by Greece and Turkey. In Revelation, on the Greek island of Patmos, Jesus Christ instructs his servant John to: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[1]
"Churches" in this context refers to the community of Christians living in each city, and not merely to the building or buildings in which they gathered for worship.[2][3]
The seven churches are located in:
Ephesus (Metropolis of Ephesus)
Smyrna (Metropolis of Smyrna)
Pergamon (Metropolis of Pergamon)
Thyatira
Sardis (See of Sardis)
Philadelphia (Metropolis of Philadelphia)
and Laodicea, near Denizli (see Laodicean Church)
Do you have a source other than you book for the existence of a satan? Perhaps someone has seen it or spoken to it? Perhaps there is a photo of it like Big Brother? Perhaps it is more advanced than your god and, instead of "inspiring man" to write some bronze age stories, it has made a video with contact info?
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2812 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text> Now that there's funny.
That is exactly the same answer I got when I asked other legitimate questions such as do you believe in witches, how many dinosaur species existed and for your comments on the BBC article dating dinosaurs - none! If you are not prepared to answer questions about your church and its teaching, why are you here?
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2813 Feb 17, 2013
Final part,
But someone says, "What about the Greek word,'psallo,' which is translated "making melody" in Ephesians 5:19?" Note the words of this verse: "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;".
We are often told that the instrument is inherent in the word 'psallo'. If that is the case, then the instrument is no longer a matter of expediency or choice, but is a command. And not only that, but it would not be one instrument for the entire congregation, but each one of us would have to have an instrument, or else, we could not psallo or make melody in our hearts. Such would prevent me from being able to worship God, because I cannot play an instrument of music! The verse does NOT say we are to sing unto the Lord, but we are to "sing AND make melody in your heart to the Lord." Therefore, we must do both, not one or the other. By the way, God has commanded that we worship Him (Matthew 4:10 and Jesus 4:24), and He has always told us 'how' were are to worship Him. God has also provided us with all we need to obey that command. Man comes equipped to worship God acceptably, without the addition of an instrument of music. McClintock and Strong in their Cyclopedia, Volume VIII, page 739, says, "The Greek word psallo is applied among the Greeks of modern times exclusively to sacred music, which in the Eastern Church has never been any other than vocal, instrumental music being unknown in that Church, as it was in the primitive Church."
If you look at this verse (Ephesians 5:19), the word 'psallo' does demand that something be touched, but that something is specified in the text--the human heart. Thus, the instrument that is to be psalloed is the human heart. It is interesting that of the 148 scholars who worked on the translation of the King James Version and the American Standard Version, all translated the word 'psallo' without the instrument of music. If the instrument is inherent in the word, why did they not translate it as such? In Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16 we are called on to "speak," "teach," "admonish," "sing," and "make melody in the heart". Each of these actions is related to verbal activity. Not one of them can be performed by an instrument of music.
Even thinking of this trivia is a waste of life. There is no god so no restriction on music. Music is one of our greatest joys - enjoy it. There will be no music in heaven because there is no heaven.
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2814 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text> They should make enough to make ends meet and have enough to put away for the future. They usually have a bachelors degree or higher so that should be compensated for. Churches need to know how to save and use the money wisely.
Yes, make ends meet at taxpayer expense: http://www.blackchristiannews.com/news/CRYSTA...
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2815 Feb 17, 2013
Cigarette Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
suck the inside part of my ash-hole you prick. I'll stick a swisher in ya and we'll go thrash coconuts on your head
If you think his post is ridiculous (which it is) why don't you attack what he has written and rebut it, instead of attacking him personally? Perhaps it is because you don't have an answer? Personal attacks are the last resort of the ignorant.
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2816 Feb 17, 2013
Really wrote:
"Working for The Lord" you better be very careful when you judge or mock someone that worships differently than you. Remember David danced before The Lord. His wife mocked his worship and GOD cursed her..The bible states that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever..That tells me what he onced loved he still loves and that is PRAISE! We were created to worship Him! The bible states if we don't praise him the ROCKS will cry out! It doesn't say The Rocks will MAKE MELODY! I refuse to let a rock cry out in my place!
Also when you make melody IN YOUR HEART it's just like having a prayer in your heart. Key words are IN YOUR HEART when you have a song in your heart NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU! The worship you are describing is making melody with your VOICE! Hmmmm doesn't that mean you are ADDING to what the scripture says?
Personally I know God honors all who worship HIM! Whether it be a song, silent tear, a hand clap of Praise or a song in your heart: and you don't have to be in a church building! The bible says where 2 or 3 gather in His name he will be in the midst. I have personally been in the presence of the one true God! When you worship and praise him he will come! When His presence enters the room the ATMOSPHERE will change! When the praises go up blessings come down! I will bless The Lord at all times! His praise shall continually be in my mouth! We worship not because we are worthy. We worship because He is worthy! He is worthy of ALL MY PRAISE!
Science tells us that the heart is a pump and no more. I can prove it.
really

Jackson, TN

#2817 Feb 17, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think his post is ridiculous (which it is) why don't you attack what he has written and rebut it, instead of attacking him personally? Perhaps it is because you don't have an answer? Personal attacks are the last resort of the ignorant.
You say"If you think his post is ridiculous (which it is) why don't you attack what he has written and rebut it, instead of attacking him "
Then you say"Personal attacks are the last resort of the ignorant" now isn't that a personal attack? Must be the do as i say not as i do mentality or just a dumbass not realizing that you have done the same
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2818 Feb 17, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>You say"If you think his post is ridiculous (which it is) why don't you attack what he has written and rebut it, instead of attacking him "
Then you say"Personal attacks are the last resort of the ignorant" now isn't that a personal attack? Must be the do as i say not as i do mentality or just a dumbass not realizing that you have done the same
Ignorant is not a personal attack. It is an observation of someone who appears to be lacking knowledge. As you do not rebut his posts, I assume you are lacking the knowledge to do so. Therefore you are ignorant. Again, that is not an insult, it is an observation based on the evidence you provided in your post.
really

Jackson, TN

#2820 Feb 17, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorant is not a personal attack. It is an observation of someone who appears to be lacking knowledge. As you do not rebut his posts, I assume you are lacking the knowledge to do so. Therefore you are ignorant. Again, that is not an insult, it is an observation based on the evidence you provided in your post.
it's obvious you are the dumb slut who married the dumbass according to reason or whoever he happens to be on any given day. i'm sure you both made a ignorant baby! abortion would be approperate in this clueless marriage. Thats not a personal attack thats fact jack!!
really

Jackson, TN

#2821 Feb 17, 2013
According to Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually no he is not personally attacking you by employing the term "ignorant". The word is not being used in a pejorative sense but in the literal sense of being uninformed (lacking knowledge). You are uninformed therefore you are ignorant.
Nobody is attacking you or putting you down. I am ignorant of a great many things but I admit my ignorance and seek to overcome it by gaining knowledge. Religion masquerades as knowledge and keeps people in a state of perpetual ignorance. That is why I oppose it.
You are ignorant cause you can't keep a real job
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#2823 Feb 17, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>it's obvious you are the dumb slut who married the dumbass according to reason or whoever he happens to be on any given day. i'm sure you both made a ignorant baby! abortion would be approperate in this clueless marriage. Thats not a personal attack thats fact jack!!
Thank you for proving my point.
really

Jackson, TN

#2824 Feb 17, 2013
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving my point.
hahaha now don't get mad BRO i wasn't attacking you dont be ignorant!

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

#2825 Feb 17, 2013
“I always think it’s a sign of victory when they move on to the ad hominem“

- Christopher Hitchens
really

Jackson, TN

#2827 Feb 17, 2013
According to Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't mind if you did attack me, it is actually the best way to tell when I've won the argument.
So this proves you and "Auntie Theist" is one in the same. I made this comment to her or the corssdressing you as this proves!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Woman from Jackson on Jimmy Kimmell tonite 1 hr ForHC 3
indoor paintball course (Apr '14) 4 hr Insert a somethin... 14
victoria vernon 5 hr thisaintparadise 1
Hum..... 5 hr Brian 5
TCA Criminals Caught Again 5 hr guest 13
Jackson BLM March 9 hr Im back 133
A taste of hell 9 hr emenius sleepus 5

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance