What's so bad about Atheism?

What's so bad about Atheism?

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 52
Next Last
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#1 Dec 1, 2010
Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

Questions

Starkville, MS

#2 Dec 1, 2010
Do you know everything? Are you everywhere?
Free Thinker

Mount Morris, MI

#3 Dec 1, 2010
Are you claiming to know someone who is? If so please tell me as all observations to date would indicate both of those traits are an impossibility.
Also, if I said there was a pink teapot orbiting mars would you believe me simply because you cannot prove it isn't there?
moo

Jackson, TN

#4 Dec 1, 2010
u burn
Questions

Starkville, MS

#5 Dec 1, 2010
My point is that the proof of God may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no God" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of God will fall on deaf ears.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#6 Dec 1, 2010
Understood. My counterpoint is that under the commonly understood definition of evidence your claims of the supernatural have no veracity as evidence by it's nature is independently verifiable. To say something is unable to be seen, touched, or otherwise independently verified is to say something isn't real. If we replace God with any other mythical creature then the absurdity of your argument reveals itself.

"...proof of Santa may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no Santa" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of Santa will fall on deaf ears."

"...proof of pink unicorns may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no pink unicorns" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of pink unicorns will fall on deaf ears."

May I ask exactly which god you are referring to in your post?
Duh

Mount Holly, NC

#7 Dec 1, 2010
Free Thinker wrote:
Understood. My counterpoint is that under the commonly understood definition of evidence your claims of the supernatural have no veracity as evidence by it's nature is independently verifiable. To say something is unable to be seen, touched, or otherwise independently verified is to say something isn't real. If we replace God with any other mythical creature then the absurdity of your argument reveals itself.
"...proof of Santa may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no Santa" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of Santa will fall on deaf ears."
"...proof of pink unicorns may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no pink unicorns" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of pink unicorns will fall on deaf ears."
May I ask exactly which god you are referring to in your post?
CLEARLY since it is capitalized then they were referring to God. You know... the god named God.
Sam

Jackson, TN

#8 Dec 1, 2010
Free Thinker wrote:
Understood. My counterpoint is that under the commonly understood definition of evidence your claims of the supernatural have no veracity as evidence by it's nature is independently verifiable. To say something is unable to be seen, touched, or otherwise independently verified is to say something isn't real. If we replace God with any other mythical creature then the absurdity of your argument reveals itself.
"...proof of Santa may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no Santa" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of Santa will fall on deaf ears."
"...proof of pink unicorns may be where you aren't and what you don't know. Since you don't know everything you can't say for certain "there is no pink unicorns" because you don't know and you can't prove a negative. Any evidence I give of pink unicorns will fall on deaf ears."
May I ask exactly which god you are referring to in your post?
The God. There is only One. To the other points I have no evidence of "pink unicorns" or "santa" but I do of God. The bible has survived for so many years. One must admit that the bible does flow without contridiction. There must be one author. However it is penned throughout several generations. I can't think of another book that survived as long. The dead sea scrolls proved the age of the Word and that it has not changed just as it has been promised.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#9 Dec 1, 2010
Duh,

CLEARLY you do not know that your god is not the only god to ever have been thought to exist. CLEARLY you have never cared to study any real world history or you would know this. Now, assuming he's speaking of the monotheistic god asserted by Abraham then that would narrow it down to at least three versions. The Jewish God(singular), the Christian God(trinity), or the Muslim Allah(singular). Now that you have been schooled slightly, Duh, I will give you time to soak it up and this time decide not to write another post of drivel.

Questions, you appear to be slightly more reasonable than Duh (his name being surprisingly self descriptive) and I'm eager to continue the discussion with you. Who knows, Duh might decide to research something before he posts another moronic comment and thereby learn something.
Duh

Mount Holly, NC

#10 Dec 1, 2010
Free Thinker wrote:
Duh,
CLEARLY you do not know that your god is not the only god to ever have been thought to exist. CLEARLY you have never cared to study any real world history or you would know this. Now, assuming he's speaking of the monotheistic god asserted by Abraham then that would narrow it down to at least three versions. The Jewish God(singular), the Christian God(trinity), or the Muslim Allah(singular). Now that you have been schooled slightly, Duh, I will give you time to soak it up and this time decide not to write another post of drivel.
Questions, you appear to be slightly more reasonable than Duh (his name being surprisingly self descriptive) and I'm eager to continue the discussion with you. Who knows, Duh might decide to research something before he posts another moronic comment and thereby learn something.
No, darling. CLEARLY you're an idiot. I wasn't even disagreeing with you. If you're going to attempt to slam everyone then good luck getting supporters on this topic. I simply pointed out that is was a dumb question because it was painfully obvious which "god" Questions was talking about. Carry on.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#11 Dec 2, 2010
^Duh,
Did you even read what I wrote? First, I never asserted that you didn't agree with me but that you did not appear to be aware that, of the monotheistic gods, any one who worshiped a particular one could, if he chose, write it with a capital "G". A capital "G" denotes respect for someone's particular deity and has no specificity to which religion that god represents. I understand that in Jackson "God" usually means the god of Christians but on the off chance that I'm wrong, and I have been, I choose to seek clarification from [Question]. Now I find myself sidetracked answering you instead.

Therefor the question is valid within the frame of this discussion and is not "dumb" or idiotic - QED.

If pointing our the error someone's logic is slamming them then expect to see whole lot in these kinds of debates my friend.
Blue

Albemarle, NC

#12 Dec 2, 2010
You just love making enemies dontcha B? Damn shame it wasn't you they found across the street.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#13 Dec 2, 2010
Sam,

Your statement of one God is only true from your frame of reference. Are you not an atheist with regard to every other god worshiped around the world and throughout history. The only difference between you and I is that I went one god further.

Asserting that because the Bible is and an old book is proof of god is a non sequitur. The age of something is not proof of its authorship.

The Bible does not, in any way, flow without contradiction. Here are just a few examples.

The father of Joseph;

MAT 1:16 And [[[ Jacob ]]] begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the [[[ son of Heli.]]]

Ascension to heaven;

"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." (2KI 2:11)

"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven,... the Son of Man." (JOH 3:13)

If you can't think of another book that survived as long then I'll gladly tell you. The Egyptian "Book of the Dead" was already complete by 1240 BCE. Although tradition says that parts of the Bible were written before this date, scholars now know that the Old Testament was actually written later in the first millennium BCE. So, the Book of the Dead is much older than the Bible.

The Torah and New Testament are fraught with contradictions. This would make no since if they were "inspired" by an all knowing deity. This would make perfect since if, as they were, written by many different men who were unaware of each other, later combined and fraudulently claimed to have be written (or inspired) by the same being.

The bible therefor does not prove God, was not logically inspired by God, and does in fact have many contradictions - QED.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#14 Dec 2, 2010
Blue,
It is not my intent to make enemies although, not surprisingly, some people might be angered by having their belief in mythology challenged.

I can only assume something very bad happened to the person "they found across the street". Might I take your remark as a veiled statement of your wish to harm me? If so, I cannot thank our founding fathers enough for creating a country that guarantees the free exchange of ideas AND right to keep and bare arms. I gladly exercise both and if someone, such as yourself, attempts to use force to infringe upon the former I will more than gladly employ the latter.
Blue

Albemarle, NC

#15 Dec 2, 2010
Free Thinker wrote:
Blue,
It is not my intent to make enemies although, not surprisingly, some people might be angered by having their belief in mythology challenged.
I can only assume something very bad happened to the person "they found across the street". Might I take your remark as a veiled statement of your wish to harm me? If so, I cannot thank our founding fathers enough for creating a country that guarantees the free exchange of ideas AND right to keep and bare arms. I gladly exercise both and if someone, such as yourself, attempts to use force to infringe upon the former I will more than gladly employ the latter.
No, I have no wish to "harm" you in any way. Karma will take care of that.(If you don't consider Karma to be included in your deity crap.) And btw it is "to keep and BEAR arms". If you were to "bare" your arms you might get a bit chilled.
Free Thinker

Lexington, TN

#16 Dec 2, 2010
Well you got me on the misuse of the word bare there Blue, or should I call you Merriam-Webster ; ) I promise hereto that I will never claim to be a perfect speller while trying to reply to three people simultaneously. Luckily my mistake in grammar in no way adds weight to your second assertion.

You say you have no wish to harm be but you do wish harm to come to me ... supernaturally? So that would mean that you believe I need to be harmed but are to chicken-shit to say you want to do it yourself.

Why is questioning belief in gods so demanding of punishment in your opinion?
Tiny

Lexington, TN

#17 Dec 2, 2010
Did you ever think of how many exclamations will be made if, on judgement day, folks look up to see God with a turban on...
Blue

Columbus, NC

#18 Dec 2, 2010
You know I wasn't referring to the topic of this post. My statement was an observation that you *still* love making enemies. It's time to grow up.

And I do not wish ANY harm upon you. That is NOT what Karma is about. You will receive your just desserts through your own actions. Justice is not violent. Revenge is violent. If I had desired to exact my revenge then I would have done so long ago darling.

And while you may think yourself a grammar nazi... I'm afraid that was not your only mistake, by far.
Blue

Columbus, NC

#19 Dec 2, 2010
Tiny wrote:
Did you ever think of how many exclamations will be made if, on judgement day, folks look up to see God with a turban on...
They are oh soooo comfy.
Questions

Jackson, TN

#20 Dec 2, 2010
There are but two possibilities: the “conscience”(i.e., the notion that right and wrong exist) either was implanted by the Creator at the time of humanity’s genesis, or else it merely “evolved,” and is a self-imposed ideology. If man’s measure of good and evil is a self-manufactured impulse, then every person becomes his own “god,” setting the rules of conduct as he sees fit. Atheist philosopher Jean Paul Sartre had it right:“Everything is indeed permitted if God does not exist.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Believers-In-God (May '13) 5 min praying2Jesus 11,202
just a thought 9 min changing area code 1
Jy2 new woman Kimber 20 min praying2Jesus 24
Liberty High Problems 30 min Guesy 9
JY2 for Mayor 34 min STFU 61
Shelby Wilson 52 min BigGirlsNeedLove2 2
Local gossip and bullshit 1 hr Hope 7
jy2 2 hr JY2 addict 128
John Christie/ Charlie Pittman 7 hr glazed 15
Libery Principal Leaving 19 hr guest 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages