Why does the Church of Christ support...
I was blind but now I see

United States

#42 Jan 5, 2013
Mitch, you seem to be a very rational person. I would like to use this analogy. If Tennessee legalize Brothels, would it be OK to accept a scholarship from them. We would surely believe as Christians that Prostituition is wrong. You would be in the same boat if you took money from both the Lottery and the Brothel. Look at Dt. 23:17-18, it gives an anaology about prostituition. You are not to bring the money made from prostituition into the house of the lord. The Bible also talks about being unequally yoke. As Christians do we want to be yoked to these modern day Pagans. Look at Dt.18:10-12.

The money that we accept from a scholarship is the same money that could had paid a medical bill,rent,or fed a child of a gambler. It is tainted money. This is not a neutral moraility subject. Just like you said in your other posts, just because the bible does not specifically mentions it,that does not make it OK. God Bless.

P.S. "Cyclist," I almost lost track of time. I am off for the midnight showing of the Jule Miller Film Festival!!! See you there!!!
Cyclist

Jackson, MS

#43 Jan 5, 2013
I was blind but now I see wrote:
Mitch, you seem to be a very rational person. I would like to use this analogy. If Tennessee legalize Brothels, would it be OK to accept a scholarship from them. We would surely believe as Christians that Prostituition is wrong. You would be in the same boat if you took money from both the Lottery and the Brothel. Look at Dt. 23:17-18, it gives an anaology about prostituition. You are not to bring the money made from prostituition into the house of the lord. The Bible also talks about being unequally yoke. As Christians do we want to be yoked to these modern day Pagans. Look at Dt.18:10-12.
The money that we accept from a scholarship is the same money that could had paid a medical bill,rent,or fed a child of a gambler. It is tainted money. This is not a neutral moraility subject. Just like you said in your other posts, just because the bible does not specifically mentions it,that does not make it OK. God Bless.
P.S. "Cyclist," I almost lost track of time. I am off for the midnight showing of the Jule Miller Film Festival!!! See you there!!!
Guess what? I actually agree with you.
Mitch

Jackson, TN

#44 Jan 5, 2013
I was blind but now I see wrote:
Mitch, you seem to be a very rational person. I would like to use this analogy. If Tennessee legalize Brothels, would it be OK to accept a scholarship from them. We would surely believe as Christians that Prostituition is wrong. You would be in the same boat if you took money from both the Lottery and the Brothel. Look at Dt. 23:17-18, it gives an anaology about prostituition. You are not to bring the money made from prostituition into the house of the lord. The Bible also talks about being unequally yoke. As Christians do we want to be yoked to these modern day Pagans. Look at Dt.18:10-12.
The money that we accept from a scholarship is the same money that could had paid a medical bill,rent,or fed a child of a gambler. It is tainted money. This is not a neutral moraility subject. Just like you said in your other posts, just because the bible does not specifically mentions it,that does not make it OK. God Bless.
P.S. "Cyclist," I almost lost track of time. I am off for the midnight showing of the Jule Miller Film Festival!!! See you there!!!
I see your point. You have given me a different way of looking at it. I will be doing some personal study on this subject. What ever we decide to do it should be to God's glory. If we can't take lottery scholarship money in faith it shouldn't be done. Up to now I would have had a clear conscience. This is odd for me. I kind of see both sides of it. Thanks. Now I won't be able to sleep.
Mitch

Jackson, TN

#45 Jan 6, 2013
Im still going back to Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 8.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#46 Feb 20, 2013
Folks ask yourself on why the big uproar on some Churches of Christ deciding to use instruments in worship. Why do some want to use instruments. They want to use instruments to make worship more enjoyable, yes their reason is to make worship more enjoyable . These elders that allow this will be responsible to God for allowing this and for all the souls that will be lost and not to mention the divisions they have caused, all to make worship more enjoyable. How dare you people for making such a vile ignorant decision against God for the simple reason of making worship more enjoyable, how dare you.You say God doesn't mention anything about not using instruments in worship, so you decide that since it doesn't say you cannot that gives you permission to do it. Are you elders that believe its ok to use instruments that stupid.Why would he have to tell you not use musical instruments when he already tells you to use singing only multiple times. From the first to the last and every time in between has a musical instruments been used, only singing. You that are using instruments in worship need to stop and get back to worshipping in spirit and in truth, NOW.


guest

United States

#48 Feb 20, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
Folks ask yourself on why the big uproar on some Churches of Christ deciding to use instruments in worship. Why do some want to use instruments. They want to use instruments to make worship more enjoyable, yes their reason is to make worship more enjoyable . These elders that allow this will be responsible to God for allowing this and for all the souls that will be lost and not to mention the divisions they have caused, all to make worship more enjoyable. How dare you people for making such a vile ignorant decision against God for the simple reason of making worship more enjoyable, how dare you.You say God doesn't mention anything about not using instruments in worship, so you decide that since it doesn't say you cannot that gives you permission to do it. Are you elders that believe its ok to use instruments that stupid.Why would he have to tell you not use musical instruments when he already tells you to use singing only multiple times. From the first to the last and every time in between has a musical instruments been used, only singing. You that are using instruments in worship need to stop and get back to worshipping in spirit and in truth, NOW.
WHERE did THAT come from?? This thread has NOTHING whatsoever to do with musical instruments being used for worship.
working for the Lord

Jackson, TN

#49 Feb 20, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
Folks ask yourself on why the big uproar on some Churches of Christ deciding to use instruments in worship. Why do some want to use instruments. They want to use instruments to make worship more enjoyable, yes their reason is to make worship more enjoyable . These elders that allow this will be responsible to God for allowing this and for all the souls that will be lost and not to mention the divisions they have caused, all to make worship more enjoyable. How dare you people for making such a vile ignorant decision against God for the simple reason of making worship more enjoyable, how dare you.You say God doesn't mention anything about not using instruments in worship, so you decide that since it doesn't say you cannot that gives you permission to do it. Are you elders that believe its ok to use instruments that stupid.Why would he have to tell you not use musical instruments when he already tells you to use singing only multiple times. From the first to the last and every time in between has a musical instruments been used, only singing. You that are using instruments in worship need to stop and get back to worshipping in spirit and in truth, NOW.
your post shows musical instruments in church"Psalm 150:1-6 ESV / 71 helpful votes
Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals"

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#50 Feb 20, 2013
working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text>your post shows musical instruments in church"Psalm 150:1-6 ESV / 71 helpful votes
Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens! Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his excellent greatness! Praise him with trumpet sound; praise him with lute and harp! Praise him with tambourine and dance; praise him with strings and pipe! Praise him with sounding cymbals; praise him with loud clashing cymbals"
Psalms is in the old testament so I hate to tell you this but it doesn't qualify as authorization for worshipping in the new testament, sorry. Please read your bible and you'll be able to avoid giving wrong answers in the future.
EvolutionMan

United States

#52 Feb 20, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Psalms is in the old testament so I hate to tell you this but it doesn't qualify as authorization for worshipping in the new testament, sorry. Please read your bible and you'll be able to avoid giving wrong answers in the future.
A day in your life must be terrible. I'm glad my eyes are open.
guest

United States

#54 Feb 20, 2013
EvolutionMan wrote:
<quoted text>A day in your life must be terrible. I'm glad my eyes are open.
Yes, he, she (or it) must be miserable.
according to you

Jackson, TN

#55 Feb 20, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Psalms is in the old testament so I hate to tell you this but it doesn't qualify as authorization for worshipping in the new testament, sorry. Please read your bible and you'll be able to avoid giving wrong answers in the future.
So you are saying the old testament is irrelavent?

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#56 Feb 21, 2013
according to you wrote:
<quoted text>So you are saying the old testament is irrelavent?
It is when used the way he did. This is the new testament era and Jesus died and that abolished the rules and regulations and laws to be nulled and void.
according to you

Jackson, TN

#57 Feb 21, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> It is when used the way he did. This is the new testament era and Jesus died and that abolished the rules and regulations and laws to be nulled and void.
well fyi, psalms is not really considered old testament. But you worship how you think God wants and i will worship how i know God wants and see which one of us goes to hell!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#59 Feb 21, 2013
according to you wrote:
<quoted text>well fyi, psalms is not really considered old testament. But you worship how you think God wants and i will worship how i know God wants and see which one of us goes to hell!
Did you find Psalms in the new or old testament? Old Testament

Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
First book of Samuel
Second book of Samuel
First book of Kings
Second book of Kings
First book of Chronicles
Second Book of Chronicles
Ezra
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
Psalms,<<<<< <<<<<<< <<<<<
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Songs (Song of Solomon, Canticles)
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Lamentations
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi.



New Testament



Gospel according to St. Matthew
Gospel according to St. Mark
Gospel according to St. Luke
Gospel according to St. John
Acts of the Apostles
Epistle to the Romans
First Epistle to the Corinthians
Second Epistle to the Corinthians
Epistle to the Galatians
Epistle to the Ephesians
Epistle to the Philippians
Epistle to the Colossians
First Epistle to the Thessalonians
Second Epistle to the Thessalonians
First Epistle to Timothy
Second Epistle to Timothy
Epistle to Titus
Epistle to Philemon
Epistle to the Hebrews
Epistle of James
First Epistle of Peter
Second Epistle of Peter
First Epistle of John
Second Epistle of John
Third Epistle of John
Epistle of Jude
Revelation (Apocalypse).




Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#60 Feb 21, 2013
according to you wrote:
<quoted text>well fyi, psalms is not really considered old testament. But you worship how you think God wants and i will worship how i know God wants and see which one of us goes to hell!
There's one church on this planet that preaches and teaches the truth, that's the Church of Christ. I urge you to go to the nearest one and get right by becoming baptized, then living the rest of your life as God has commanded us to. Galatians 4;16,
New Living Translation (2007)
Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?


pathedic CoC

Jackson, TN

#61 Feb 21, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> There's one church on this planet that preaches and teaches the truth, that's the Church of Christ. I urge you to go to the nearest one and get right by becoming baptized, then living the rest of your life as God has commanded us to. Galatians 4;16,
New Living Translation (2007)
Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?
You really are a dumbass! going to a CoC doesn't save you no more than going to a baptist,penecostal church.You want to talk crap about othr churches when CoC is nothing but a false doctrine. You idiots go around condiming other denomitantion(if you will) when you yourselves don't follow the bible. If sitting around with your head up your asses is worshipping God in spirit and truth then God's very disapointed. I've been to CoC's and you people don't worship God anything like he commands. You live your lives in condemnation of others.Meanwhile the deacons and elders are or have been wife swapping and living your lives as you wish thru the week. I never met a CoC member that had passion for Christ.You just condem others and talk about how you idiots are the only way. B/S think whatever you want,it is your interpatation of how you think God wants to be served or worship.Otherwise known as false man made worship,cause you idiots are too imbarassed to worship God like he deserves

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#62 Feb 21, 2013
pathedic CoC wrote:
<quoted text>You really are a dumbass! going to a CoC doesn't save you no more than going to a baptist,penecostal church.You want to talk crap about othr churches when CoC is nothing but a false doctrine. You idiots go around condiming other denomitantion(if you will) when you yourselves don't follow the bible. If sitting around with your head up your asses is worshipping God in spirit and truth then God's very disapointed. I've been to CoC's and you people don't worship God anything like he commands. You live your lives in condemnation of others.Meanwhile the deacons and elders are or have been wife swapping and living your lives as you wish thru the week. I never met a CoC member that had passion for Christ.You just condem others and talk about how you idiots are the only way. B/S think whatever you want,it is your interpatation of how you think God wants to be served or worship.Otherwise known as false man made worship,cause you idiots are too imbarassed to worship God like he deserves
What does the bible say on how to worship him. Jesus said he will build his church, meaning his church which is singular. Why would he build more than one church and have more than one way to worship him when he tells us only one way to worship him. God believes in unity, not divisions. It's as simple as this, there's a right way and a wrong way. Again what does the bible say on how to worship him. Do you think those who worship him in a different way would be acceptable to him when he tells us how he commands us on how to worship him already.
pathedic CoC

Jackson, TN

#63 Feb 21, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text>What does the bible say on how to worship him. Jesus said he will build his church, meaning his church which is singular. Why would he build more than one church and have more than one way to worship him when he tells us only one way to worship him. God believes in unity, not divisions. It's as simple as this, there's a right way and a wrong way. Again what does the bible say on how to worship him. Do you think those who worship him in a different way would be acceptable to him when he tells us how he commands us on how to worship him already.
exactly unity,not division,yet CoC causes division every time they open their mouths. People are diffrent,therfore people worship in diffrent ways.Just because you don't know how to openly or outwardly worship God,doesn't mean my way is wrong. An instrument doesn't make my way wrong.That is your churches opnion, just like a name on the sign. There was 7 churches in the bible,fyi that's NEW TESTAMENT not old.Just like CoC suports FHU and that is a CoC funded school.Yet they recive lottery money,which is a sin by GOD!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#64 Feb 21, 2013
pathedic CoC wrote:
<quoted text>exactly unity,not division,yet CoC causes division every time they open their mouths. People are diffrent,therfore people worship in diffrent ways.Just because you don't know how to openly or outwardly worship God,doesn't mean my way is wrong. An instrument doesn't make my way wrong.That is your churches opnion, just like a name on the sign. There was 7 churches in the bible,fyi that's NEW TESTAMENT not old.Just like CoC suports FHU and that is a CoC funded school.Yet they recive lottery money,which is a sin by GOD!
People are different, God isn't, he's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. People choose to worship God in different ways which God doesn't approve of. If he tells you how he wants to be worshipped then why would you worship him in a way that he forbids. Many people in the bible decided to do things differently and were killed for it. If God told you to sing and gave you proof of that why would you even think about using instruments? Just because it doesn't say to use instruments doesn't mean you can, it means since he's already told you what to use he didn't think it would be necessary for him to mention not to use instruments, because he felt people had enough sense not to do it. There are some Churches of Christ that have added instruments to worship which of course tells me that these congregatios that are doing this are now no longer a true worshipper worshipping according to the bible These elders will be held accountable for allowing this as this has many people to be lost, caused divisions and made it confusing for people to understand what the truth is, and they will pay for this with there souls. They decided to do this for ONE REASON, to make worship more enjoyable. Are we here to please God or people, This is a sin in what these CoC have done and all I can do is pray and teach that what there doing is wrong and hopefully they will come back to worshipping in spirit and in truth. This is adding to worship, this is not an expedient. I would have to say in regards to lottery tickets that we shouldn't buy them because they are a waste of money. The money which came from the sale of lottery tickets and then is put in to a state run program for assisting students who have met the criteria for receiving the scholarship, not money but a scholarship doesn't seem like something God would disapprove of, after all it's going to help someone to achieve an education, so I can't see anything wrong with that. The school is educating this student in exchange for the money from the State of Tn is taking money which is from people who are legally buying these lottery tickets which you and I agree that we shouldn't buy them, as they are a waste of hard earned money. Lottery playing can and does cause many to become addictive causing children to go without food and clothing because of this, but unfortunately it's legal, so why not take a bad thing and do something good by helping people get an education is how I feel about it.
Auntie Theist

Tucker, GA

#65 Feb 21, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> People are different, God isn't, he's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. People choose to worship God in different ways which God doesn't approve of. If he tells you how he wants to be worshipped then why would you worship him in a way that he forbids. Many people in the bible decided to do things differently and were killed for it. If God told you to sing and gave you proof of that why would you even think about using instruments? Just because it doesn't say to use instruments doesn't mean you can, it means since he's already told you what to use he didn't think it would be necessary for him to mention not to use instruments, because he felt people had enough sense not to do it. There are some Churches of Christ that have added instruments to worship which of course tells me that these congregatios that are doing this are now no longer a true worshipper worshipping according to the bible These elders will be held accountable for allowing this as this has many people to be lost, caused divisions and made it confusing for people to understand what the truth is, and they will pay for this with there souls. They decided to do this for ONE REASON, to make worship more enjoyable. Are we here to please God or people, This is a sin in what these CoC have done and all I can do is pray and teach that what there doing is wrong and hopefully they will come back to worshipping in spirit and in truth. This is adding to worship, this is not an expedient. I would have to say in regards to lottery tickets that we shouldn't buy them because they are a waste of money. The money which came from the sale of lottery tickets and then is put in to a state run program for assisting students who have met the criteria for receiving the scholarship, not money but a scholarship doesn't seem like something God would disapprove of, after all it's going to help someone to achieve an education, so I can't see anything wrong with that. The school is educating this student in exchange for the money from the State of Tn is taking money which is from people who are legally buying these lottery tickets which you and I agree that we shouldn't buy them, as they are a waste of hard earned money. Lottery playing can and does cause many to become addictive causing children to go without food and clothing because of this, but unfortunately it's legal, so why not take a bad thing and do something good by helping people get an education is how I feel about it.
I think the CoC is a great Christian church - just as good as any other!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
greenlight 7 min mmmmmmm 8
Madison academic mom 11 min Jennifer Reaves-M... 5
warrants 20 min Nope 16
Tanner Wilson 33 min Sorry girl 1
Did Our Reps Vote For Gas Tax 1 hr Rhinos 18
Tow truck driver Charlie? 1 hr Guest 8
Driving School for Adults Near Dyer? 2 hr SJL23 1
WWBBJ News 16 hr I am off the grid 82
Police Car Always @ Englewood 18 hr Thanks 10

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages