Why does the Church of Christ support...

Why does the Church of Christ supports FHU that receives lottery money?

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
I was blind now I see

Jackson, TN

#1 Dec 30, 2012
One of the things that I notice about my brothers and sisters is that they like to point fingers at other churches and doom them to hell for their sins, but can't look at their own.
1.The money goes directly into an account(not the general fund of the state)from lottery players.
2.When the lottery passed, FHU sent an envoy to Nashville to make sure private colleges got their fair share!
3.How can Church Elders reject a member giving lottery money to the church, than their own children accept lottery money.
It sounds a little hypocritical to me. Now don't use the argument you do not know where it comes from. I know that alot of members were in prayer sessions hoping that the state would clean it up for them. They was wanting it to go into the general fund than back out. Now please explain how this is right.
On the day of Judgement how can you say that you use lottery money, while a gambling addict family suffered so that you could get a good education to make more money!!!!
guest

Jackson, TN

#2 Dec 30, 2012
Because the church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
Cyclist

Medina, TN

#3 Dec 30, 2012
guest wrote:
Because the church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
And you can't be a "true" member of coC unless you are a FHU grad.
Mary W

United States

#4 Dec 30, 2012
C o C is nothing but a bunch of wh_ore mongers who abuse women.....
I was blind now I see

Jackson, TN

#5 Dec 30, 2012
Now if FHU had came out and said"We will refuse any money that comes from the lottery" than people would have more respect for them. But instead they send an envoy to make sure they were not left out.
COC preachers preach how it is wrong to play the lottery,while their children attend on a lottery scholarship. They will call you a heretic while knowing all along that it is wrong!! This is what has amazed me over the years. Now please answer the Question.
1. Are you in danger of losing your soul if you knowingly accept a lottery scholarship?

Do not get mad at me I am just pointing out your beliefs. I can find tracts in the church bulding about the sins of gambling,but do not see any Hope scholarship applications. Thanks.
Guest 2

Paris, TN

#6 Dec 30, 2012
My brother and my nephew both went to FHU. Brothers a big shot elder in a church-nephews a preacher-it is all about the money. I rememember when my nephew started out we were at Thanksgiving dinner and he had done some preachin-claiming the people didn't seem to enjoy his sermon-his mother piped in "you got paid didn't you,well, thats all that matters."This boy couldn't even visit his own granddad who was bedridden-too heartbreakin for him his mother said-how do you think my dad felt-but after my dad died they surely wanted the farm the house the money and every thing else,didn't care how many lies it took to succeed.Everyone was sayin-These are christians-They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.Churches are about networking-very few really do good deeds-free trips free housing. Do I think I'm better than these fakes-you know it. They are busy argueing about music and such they have no time for the sick or shut-ins,but they can take time to pick up a check for 500.00 dollars.I truelly hope these misguided -arrogant christains from the COC will come to their senses before judgement day. Some of the best people I have ever met never will set foot in a church-some of the worst are on the front row every Sunday-gossiping and slandering.....
I was blind now I see

Milan, TN

#7 Dec 30, 2012
Guest 2 wrote:
My brother and my nephew both went to FHU. Brothers a big shot elder in a church-nephews a preacher-it is all about the money. I rememember when my nephew started out we were at Thanksgiving dinner and he had done some preachin-claiming the people didn't seem to enjoy his sermon-his mother piped in "you got paid didn't you,well, thats all that matters."This boy couldn't even visit his own granddad who was bedridden-too heartbreakin for him his mother said-how do you think my dad felt-but after my dad died they surely wanted the farm the house the money and every thing else,didn't care how many lies it took to succeed.Everyone was sayin-These are christians-They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.Churches are about networking-very few really do good deeds-free trips free housing. Do I think I'm better than these fakes-you know it. They are busy argueing about music and such they have no time for the sick or shut-ins,but they can take time to pick up a check for 500.00 dollars.I truelly hope these misguided -arrogant christains from the COC will come to their senses before judgement day. Some of the best people I have ever met never will set foot in a church-some of the worst are on the front row every Sunday-gossiping and slandering.....
I agree with you. Some of the best people I know never attended a church. I knew they loved the lord. Some just could not attend because of the hypocrits. Church is all about the money these days.
I was blind now I see

Milan, TN

#8 Dec 30, 2012
Is their any FHU people on here? I would like some COC brthern to defend themselves. Otherwise it must be true. If you say let your soul be your guide with the lottery scholarship, than why do you preach do not let your soul be your guide?

If I robbed a bank and kept the money than I would go to hell if I did not repent and give the money back? That is what is prached on sunday. So if I knowingly signed up to take a gambler losses. I should go to hell because of this, right.

So if a pimp walked into church and wanted to give money that he made from his prostitutes. Would you take it? I got an idea let's make a scholarship out of it and get FHU to support it. Than it's OK.

soon

Jackson, TN

#9 Dec 30, 2012
"working for the lord" will probably be here after his wife serves him lunch then he takes his sunday afternoon nap. They are all the same, brainwashed one and all. Teach them while they are young. No wait! Brainwash them while they are young.
Cyclist

Medina, TN

#10 Dec 30, 2012
soon wrote:
"working for the lord" will probably be here after his wife serves him lunch then he takes his sunday afternoon nap. They are all the same, brainwashed one and all. Teach them while they are young. No wait! Brainwash them while they are young.
Funny.
Guest2

Paris, TN

#11 Dec 30, 2012
I came from a COC family after having children I decided to send my kid to a school that wasn't COC-YEP they copped a attitude. I hooked up with a Catholic boy-O.K. lets talk about the private COC SCHOOL and all the tuition they take from the ones they claim are going to hell. They will talk about baptist,methodist,catholics etc. on sunday but monday they are enrolling them in their school-no soul saving just tuition.Some folks go to church for the right reason-others hide behind religion to do their dirty deeds-I knew a son of a COC preacher he was breaking into peoples houses when his dad was preachin-good looking clean cut boy all of the old women loved him-of course he went to jail......Don't judge a book by its cover....

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#12 Dec 30, 2012
guest wrote:
Because the church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. Hahahahahahahahahahaha!
Lmao
I was blind now I see

Milan, TN

#13 Dec 30, 2012
This is disturbing about what I have found. Just some facts:
1.FHU has received over 2.1 million from the lottery.
2. Union University 4.1 million.
3.Lipscomb 4.8 million
4..53cent return on prizes per dollar.
5. Incomes under 13000 spend 9% on lotteries

Now my brethern how can you live with yourself knowing that this money mostly came from the poor!! You are committing sin by reaping the benefits of this poor tax. You sign up and take money from the poor than use it to your advantge to stay away from the poor and the minorities!! You send your kids to private schools so that they want be around the poor, but use the poor's money to send them to school. How shameful. Just remember Jesus was accepted by the poor, but you reject them.
NOW ANSWER FOR I COME ASKING!!!!
No Way

Jackson, TN

#14 Dec 30, 2012
You are just now figuring this out? I find that hard to believe. The lottery has nothing to do with religion, save the religion of money. Sorry to break the bad news, but FHU is no better or different or special or superior because it associates itself with a certain flavor of Christianity.

It's a school that needs to make a profit to survive, and it will do so any way it can. If you believe otherwise, get on your knees and pray for pennies from heaven to fall down and fill FHU's coffers. Sorry to be smart alec about something that obviously disturbs you. But seriously, you are quite naive.
I was blind now I see

Milan, TN

#15 Dec 30, 2012
No Way wrote:
You are just now figuring this out? I find that hard to believe. The lottery has nothing to do with religion, save the religion of money. Sorry to break the bad news, but FHU is no better or different or special or superior because it associates itself with a certain flavor of Christianity.
It's a school that needs to make a profit to survive, and it will do so any way it can. If you believe otherwise, get on your knees and pray for pennies from heaven to fall down and fill FHU's coffers. Sorry to be smart alec about something that obviously disturbs you. But seriously, you are quite naive.
So Union University was founded in 1823 and FHU was started in 1823 than the name change in 1919. I think your the one that is naive. The lottery started in 2004. So I guess God use poor people to fund these colleges so that rich kids could attend. All these colleges did was raise the tuition in reponse to the lottery.
I was blind now I see

Milan, TN

#16 Dec 30, 2012
Made a typo on FHU. Starting date should be 1869.

Now my beef is not really with the lottery. Although I believe that it is a tax on the poor. This tax mainly benefits the middle and upper class.
My beef is with the Christians preaching against gambling while receiving benefits of their sin. They say it is a sin. However,by their choosing they are active participants. I just want to know how as a christian, can you accept a lottery scholarship?
Cyclist

United States

#17 Dec 31, 2012
I was blind now I see wrote:
Made a typo on FHU. Starting date should be 1869.
Now my beef is not really with the lottery. Although I believe that it is a tax on the poor. This tax mainly benefits the middle and upper class.
My beef is with the Christians preaching against gambling while receiving benefits of their sin. They say it is a sin. However,by their choosing they are active participants. I just want to know how as a christian, can you accept a lottery scholarship?
Why dont you go talk about something really important, like instrumental music, or mixed swimming, or evils of dancing.

It is the student who applies for lottery scholorships, not the universities. Union or FHU or any other christian university would be derelict in their duty to educate students if they did not accept students who happened to get a portion of their tuition money from hope scholorship.

This is a non-issue.
I was blind now I see

Memphis, TN

#18 Dec 31, 2012
Cyclist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why dont you go talk about something really important, like instrumental music, or mixed swimming, or evils of dancing.
It is the student who applies for lottery scholorships, not the universities. Union or FHU or any other christian university would be derelict in their duty to educate students if they did not accept students who happened to get a portion of their tuition money from hope scholorship.
This is a non-issue.
Cyclist it is a "non-issue" for you because it must hit home. Sin is sin no matter what we think. If the Church of Christ wants to say that others commit sin by having instrumental music, communion once a year, one elder in the church, etc we must also examine ourselves completely. Now is it a sin for a Christian to apply for a lottery scholarship? If it is not, than I do not see how it would be a sin to play. Remember the Church of Christ is no different when it comes to justifying sin when money is involved!!
Cyclist

United States

#19 Dec 31, 2012
I was blind now I see wrote:
<quoted text>Cyclist it is a "non-issue" for you because it must hit home. Sin is sin no matter what we think. If the Church of Christ wants to say that others commit sin by having instrumental music, communion once a year, one elder in the church, etc we must also examine ourselves completely. Now is it a sin for a Christian to apply for a lottery scholarship? If it is not, than I do not see how it would be a sin to play. Remember the Church of Christ is no different when it comes to justifying sin when money is involved!!
I actually have no dog in this hunt. I do have a son at UT but he is on a baseball scholorship so no, it does not hit home.

I just think this is one of those issues that is better left to the individuals who apply for the scholorships as to whether THEY think it is moral or not. I do know several kids who would not be going to college if not for the Hope Scholorship.

Personally, I do not approve of gambling, I think it is not good stewardship of money, but if my neighbor decides to gamble, it is not my place to judge him.

I also agree with you that it is a tax on the poor, that most people who play the lottery can not afford to do it.

However, it is what it is, we have the lottery in Tennessee (I wish we did not), and if a kid gets to go to college because of it, good for them.
I was blind now I see

Memphis, TN

#20 Dec 31, 2012
My Church of Christ brethern has refused to answer the qustions.

Is it a sin to gamble?

Is the lottery a form of gambling?

Is it a sin for a Christian to sign up for money that came from gambling?

Does not the Church of Chist preach"do not let your soul be your guide-only the word of God"?

Very simple Questions.

I can't see how this is judging when you ask to clarify a position. I think the judging sometimes is a cop out. We like to condem other sins,but when we have sins that benefits us, we just ignore it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Auntie 24 min Rot 12
wreck on 40 46 min Thanks 3
Rock n Dough pizza (Nov '13) 1 hr Pizza lover 179
Applebee's 1 hr Spam pam 4
New transgender laws by Presidential executive ... 4 hr Jenifer 12
Barbershops 4 hr Jenifer 17
Well well 4 hr Jenifer 2
Shooting At Black & Decker-08/25/16 22 hr guest 27

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages