mo usj

Jackson, TN

#105 May 10, 2012
Hands off Kirby

Jackson, TN

#106 May 13, 2012
What now wrote:
<quoted text>
They prolly got it from T. Kirby. Heard she does coke all tha time.
I am not sure where you are getting your facts from, but to speak of T. Kirby as you have simply disgust me. She is one of the most caring, humble and helpful individuals at USJ. Knowing her as I do coupled with the situation and hurt that I know she has been through the last year with the loss of her son-Hands off Asshole!!!

Jackson, TN

#107 May 20, 2012
Former Student wrote:
Every school in Jackson sucks except USJ. I'm sorry we're not socially awkward like the rest of you fags. I have the best memories Of my life at USJ with my friends. Parents of children at others schools. If you think your high school kid has yet to drink hahahaha keep thinking that.
Oh dear, another former USJ student who demonstrates the "high level" of education they received from USJ, especially in the area of grammar.

Jackson, TN

#108 May 21, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear, another former USJ student who demonstrates the "high level" of education they received from USJ, especially in the area of grammar.
These little pukes seriously over estimate the level of USJ education. What is difficult to over estimate is their arrogance (which the virtually all acquire from mommy and daddy)....
Hmmm...

Cordova, TN

#109 May 21, 2012
Just take a look at the colleges that USJ students attend and compare them to the rest of Jackson. I guarantee that the quality of USJ education is not overestimated.
uh huh

Jackson, TN

#110 May 21, 2012
yeah, half of em go to Miss State, Martin, or Chatt.

That's reaaaaally impressive.
you said it brother

Jackson, TN

#111 May 21, 2012
not to mention, the bright kids would go to good schools anyway. The top few in each class at any school normally end up at private colleges or universities with a good reputation, or at state schools which offer them a free ride. That is not exclusive to USJ.

Also, the USJ kids of average intelligence end up, as the previous poster noted, at the same average schools as the kids from any other high school.
Hmmm...

United States

#112 May 21, 2012
Yeah, that statistic is not even close to true. Look at the graduating class this year and some of the colleges they are attending. Sure some of the bright kids from others schools will go to good schools, but not near as many, because there aren't as many "bright" kids. So yes the number that attend better schools is exclusive to USJ.
you said it brother

Jackson, TN

#113 May 21, 2012
[QUOTE who="Hmmm..."]Yeah, that statistic is not even close to true. Look at the graduating class this year and some of the colleges they are attending. Sure some of the bright kids from others schools will go to good schools, but not near as many, because there aren't as many "bright" kids. So yes the number that attend better schools is exclusive to USJ.[/QUOTE]

I dont doubt that a slightly higher percentage of USJ's brightest may go to good schools than the brightest from other high schools. However, that would not disprove my point, since I believe it would be a slight difference. Even if the disparity is larger than I think, you made my point for me very well when you drew the correct conclusion that there are more bright kids at USJ.

And as I stated, the bright kids often wind up at good colleges, doing well. Now that's largely because they are bright (and likely have socioeconomic advantages which all research shows give a kid a great headstart in life) not necessarily because USJ has such an outstanding educational program.

In other words, with college-educated parents who push the child to excel, who provide a nice home in a safe neighborhood, who provide great health care and proper nutrition, who can afford to allow the kid to play various sports and participate in tons of activities, thereby making him or her well-rounded, who can afford to take trips and expose the kid to the world, who can afford tutoring if the kid needs it, etc, etc, etc,the list goes on and on and on.....well, that kid is likely to go to a good college and succeed no matter where he went to high school.

The brightest kids at USJ would have been fine at, for instance, Madison. There is nothing magical about USJ's educational programs. USJ's AP Biology is not markedly different than any other school's. There is not a correlation between taking USJ's AP English and shooting straight to Harvard.

That was my original contention; maybe I didn't state it clearly.
you said it brother

Jackson, TN

#114 May 21, 2012
Oh, one more point, and then I've got to go mow my yard.....

Another factor in more USJ kids going to better colleges is the fact that more of their parents can afford to pay tuition at those schools. Don't kid yourself, most of those USJ kids didn't get full scholarships to those schools. Neither do the bright kids from the public schools. But the bright kid from Lexington, to pick a random high school, statistically doesn't have well-off, successful parents. He also likely is not a 'legacy' at any nice college (which would increase his chances of acceptance), whereas the USJ kid very well may be. So the Lexington kid can't pay the difference at Vandy, and accepts the free ride offered to him by Martin.

That scenario happens every year, especially at rural public schools.

Again, if you notice, none of the above has to do with USJ's innate supposed superiority, but with genetics and luck of birth.
you said it brother

Jackson, TN

#115 May 21, 2012
And I have nothing against USJ; I went to public schools and currently have my kids in private. I graduated from a public university, and my wife graduated from both a private and a public university. I do not currently even live in Jackson, and do not "have a dog in this fight."

I'm just offering an outsider's rational opinion, that USJ's academics are about par for the course for a private, non-sectarian academy in the southern U.S.
Hmmm...

Cordova, TN

#116 May 21, 2012
First of all, if you don't "have a dog in this fight" and aren't from Jackson, you obviously have no clue about the educational situation in JACKSON, not the entire southern U.S. By stating that a higher percentage of USJ's brightest go to better schools you have proven my point, and the disparity is larger than you think. So you're saying good parents are only at USJ? Not all USJ kids come from rich backgrounds thank you very much. These kids are indeed bright from a good education. And in order to pay that tuition, you have to get into the college first; money doesn't help get into college, just pay for it. That scenario happens every year at USJ too. Intelligence is not from genetics or luck of birth but how that kid is reared and the education he receives. And USJ kids of average intelligence end up at schools where many of the "bright" kids at other schools end up.
mo usj

Jackson, TN

#117 May 21, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
These little pukes seriously over estimate the level of USJ education. What is difficult to over estimate is their arrogance (which the virtually all acquire from mommy and daddy)....
One of the USJ mommy's putting it on dislay for everybody above.
mo usj

Jackson, TN

#118 May 21, 2012
you said it brother has it nailed. usj mommy's arrogance can't tand it though. her little petey or johnny oes to the BEST school!
Hmmm...

Cordova, TN

#119 May 21, 2012
Haha I'm glad you think I'm a USJ mommy. I'm just stating the facts.
jus mo usj

Jackson, TN

#120 May 21, 2012
[QUOTE who="Hmmm..."]Haha I'm glad you think I'm a USJ mommy. I'm just stating the facts.[/QUOTE]
Not really. You provide unsubstantiated opinion.
"brother" comes closer to facts or at least a rational logical argument than you.
Hmmm...

Cordova, TN

#121 May 21, 2012
It's very substantiated. Look at test scores, college acceptance, etc. Statistics are facts not opinion.
Get a job Get a life

Jackson, TN

#122 May 22, 2012
I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO TO THE SCHOOL YOU WANT AND NOT GET RAGGED FOR IT-SOME OF YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS JEALOUSY ISSUES AND YOU MAKE TENNESSEANS LOOK PATHETIC. THE TREE WITH THE MOST APPLES ALWAYS GET THE ROCKS THROWN AT IT AS DOES MEDIOCRE ATTACKS EXCELLENCE-ALOT OF MEDIOCRE ON HERE.
Andrew

Panama City Beach, FL

#123 May 22, 2012
Anybody who talks shit about Ms. Kirby is a complete dick. She is one of the best people I have ever met. My life is blessed because I have met her.
rio

United States

#124 May 23, 2012
It ain't what you do while you are in school or which school you go to that counts. It is what you do when your school days are over that matters. There are a whole lot of these Old Hickory Academy and USJ kids out there who are in the 35-45 age range that still have to have mommy and daddy help them out financially.

So, all this bs about "the school" does not mean a damn thing if you are not willing to work that azz off for alot of years once you are finally out of school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I don't feel bad for putting it out there 23 min ChopperBlades 7
Jackson BLM March 30 min Shetricka 117
TCA Criminals Caught Again 33 min Bernie 10
i need dentures 1 hr SMILEY 1
Corey Gutgsell 1 hr guest 6
Sinister Elegance 1 hr Car Club Junkie 1
Is the Baptist church better than the Catholic? (Jan '16) 2 hr ChromiuMan 310

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance