Obama finally breaks silence on gun d...

Obama finally breaks silence on gun debate

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
gunviolence

United States

#1 Jul 26, 2012
We need common sense legislation on this issue. Obama wants to reinstate the ban on assault weapons. America says that's good, but not good enough. We need a government with a backbone to dismantle the NRA.
really

Jackson, TN

#2 Jul 26, 2012
gunviolence wrote:
We need common sense legislation on this issue. Obama wants to reinstate the ban on assault weapons. America says that's good, but not good enough. We need a government with a backbone to dismantle the NRA.
and we need you to hold your breath till this happens. kill two birds with one stone. get rid of 2 asses at the same time.
morons

Jackson, TN

#3 Jul 26, 2012
And you need assault weapons because...
really

Jackson, TN

#4 Jul 26, 2012
morons wrote:
And you need assault weapons because...
what the hell does it matter to you why i need one?
gunviolence

United States

#5 Jul 26, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>what the hell does it matter to you why i need one?
It matters to Americans. No one needs one. Like President Obama said, they belong in the hands of military personnel, not civilians.
You idiot

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2012
It was a semi-automatic, just like many other spring and hunting rifles. The military has fully auto. Big difference.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#7 Jul 26, 2012
gunviolence wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters to Americans. No one needs one. Like President Obama said, they belong in the hands of military personnel, not civilians.
You telling someone else 'what they need' or 'do not need' is the problem. President Obama can take his opinion and kiss the most freckled part of my ass. I, nor most American's care one iota what comes out of the mouth of your demigod, Obama. He'll be long gone in a few months. Nor do we care about what Sarah Brady says, or what Rosie (fat f**k)O'Donnell says, or what Michael Moore says.

We care what the Bill of Rights says and it is VERY CLEAR!

Benjamin Franklin wrote:“The very fame of our strength and readiness would be a means of discouraging our enemies; for ’tis a wise and true saying, that ‘One Sword often keeps another in the scabbard.’ The way to secure peace is to be prepared for war. They that are on their guard, and appear ready to receive their adversaries, are in much less danger of being attacked than the supine, secure and negligent.

You are obviously one of the "supine, secure and negligent" boot licking assholes who vote away your libery and call on the government to fix everything wrong in the world, including your inability to protect yourself.

Regarding the shooting in Colorado, or any mass shooting.

You do know there were signs posted at the entrance to the theater saying "No Guns Allowed", right?

You do know that there are already laws forbidding people to carry long guns with the intent to go armed, right?

Do you know that it is already unlawful to kill someone in cold blood, right?

If the gunman in Colorado decided to disregard all those laws and prohibitions then what in the hell do you think you will accomplish in passing more?

Laws and Rules to not STOP violent criminals bent on causing death and destruction, FORCE does. If two or more people had taken their duty as free citizens seriously enough to carry a pistol then he likely would not have killed those 12 people. I don't care how big of a rifle he has, 2 on 1 are pretty bad odds, can you imagine 5 on 1? What if 5 people out the crowd were carrying weapons and each of them began putting rounds on target. The gunman can only shoot in one direction at a time. He would have been killed or ran like a bitch.

But that didn't happen, the majority has been lied to by their government overlords that the police are here to protect them, they should just lay down and take whatever comes until the cops show up. You have bought into this lie and Obama is just one of your overlords. Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
really

Jackson, TN

#8 Jul 26, 2012
gunviolence wrote:
<quoted text>
It matters to Americans. No one needs one. Like President Obama said, they belong in the hands of military personnel, not civilians.
it only matters to dumbass clueless americans like you and obama!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#9 Jul 26, 2012
Patrick Henry:

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."

Thomas Jefferson's advice to his 15-year-old nephew:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Noah Webster, 1787:

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword, because the whole of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#10 Jul 26, 2012
Think about this, out of the mass shootings which have occurred how many have happened at police stations or military bases or places where the occupants are known to be armed? Of the ones that did how much time passed before the attacker was taken out?

Compare that to the mass shootings which have occurred in places where the likelihood of the occupants being armed is minimal; schools, malls, movie theaters.

More people die when they are forced to wait for other people to protect them. When I go out I carry a sidearm no matter what because so long as that "NO GUNS ALLOWED" sign ignored by the SOB wanting to harm me or my family then I will ignore it as well.
guest

Jackson, TN

#13 Jul 26, 2012
The Rationalist of 76 wrote:
Think about this, out of the mass shootings which have occurred how many have happened at police stations or military bases or places where the occupants are known to be armed? Of the ones that did how much time passed before the attacker was taken out?
Compare that to the mass shootings which have occurred in places where the likelihood of the occupants being armed is minimal; schools, malls, movie theaters.
More people die when they are forced to wait for other people to protect them. When I go out I carry a sidearm no matter what because so long as that "NO GUNS ALLOWED" sign ignored by the SOB wanting to harm me or my family then I will ignore it as well.
Hey there's Mr. cut and paste!
gunviolence

United States

#14 Jul 26, 2012
Very eloquently said. Meaningless, but eloquent. It was fine for that time in history. We live in a different time that our forefathers couldn't even envision. They would agree that YOU owning a gun is completely unnecessary. Hopefully OUR President will do the job we elected him to do , and take down the gun machine that is the NRA. Everything else will work itself out. No one is trying to take away RIGHTS. A tank has guns on it. Do you need one? Of course not. Nor do you need any other gun. The police and military has plenty. They are very competent. We as a nation do need loose cannons like you toting guns.
morons

Jackson, TN

#15 Jul 26, 2012
They tell you every day that you don't need meth. They tell you every day that you don't need to drive 60 in a school zone. They tell you every day that you should wear your seat belt. And you know what? "They" are right. And who is this "they?" It's our fellow citizens. "The Government" doesn't make decisions. That's not possible. The people we send to make decisions on our behalf are citizens, too. Take your AK and go do some target practice on yourself. Our world will be much better off without rednecks and maniacs wanting to tote assault rifles around with them like this is the old west. Morons.

Or better yet, if you want to shoot some shit, go join the military. They really need people right now to fight Bush's wars.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#16 Jul 26, 2012
morons wrote:
They tell you every day that you don't need meth. They tell you every day that you don't need to drive 60 in a school zone. They tell you every day that you should wear your seat belt. And you know what? "They" are right.
Meth is not Gun control
The Speed limit is not Gun control
The Seat Belt is not Gun control

Reaching the correct conclusion on position A, B, and C does not grant you the right to assert you have reached the correct conclusion on position D.

"They" are elected representatives, those who wield political power. Our fellow citizens do not pass laws or make policy, the politicians do that. The politicians are the ones who grant themselves armed guards while they demand we turn over our weapons. The Government does INDEED make decisions and it is up to us make sure they make the right decisions.
morons wrote:
Take your AK and go do some target practice on yourself. Our world will be much better off without rednecks and maniacs wanting to tote assault rifles around with them like this is the old west. Morons.
Or better yet, if you want to shoot some shit, go join the military. They really need people right now to fight Bush's wars.
I do not own an Avtomat Kalashnikova rifle but I would not mind in the least if someone else did so long as they used it for lawful purposes. You are the mouthpiece of tyranny. You advocate for a complete monopoly of arms and in so doing you endanger the very liberties guaranteed by the Constitution. But you don't care about that, you spit on the Constitution because it stands in the way of the false security you so desperately want.

The citizenry do not own firearms so they can just go around shooting shit, that is the false image projected by your prejudiced mind. We, the gun owning citizens of these United States own firearms for the protection of our families and, if worse came to worse, the protection of our liberties against government tyrants who come answering your pitiful calls.

You are a boot licking, ass kissing, spineless, pathetic excuse of a free citizen. You would discard your liberty in exchange for the security of calling on others to protect you and then demand that the rest of us follow your example and surrender ours as well. If you wish to live defenseless and dependent upon the government to protect you then brother you go right ahead but I'm sure I speak for most others when I say that I will damned if I am going to live that way.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#17 Jul 26, 2012
gunviolence wrote:
Very eloquently said. Meaningless, but eloquent. It was fine for that time in history. We live in a different time that our forefathers couldn't even envision. They would agree that YOU owning a gun is completely unnecessary. Hopefully OUR President will do the job we elected him to do , and take down the gun machine that is the NRA. Everything else will work itself out. No one is trying to take away RIGHTS. A tank has guns on it. Do you need one? Of course not. Nor do you need any other gun. The police and military has plenty. They are very competent. We as a nation do need loose cannons like you toting guns.
Your opinion of my post is worth less to me than the excrement I just flushed before reading your reply which, being mental excrement, is even less pleasant to look upon. So allow me to flush it away with reason.

Human nature has not changed since "that time in history." Though we may live in a more technologically advanced world than our forefathers could envision this has absolutely no effect on fundamental human rights.

Claiming to speak for dead men and assert that were they alive today they would be of a different opinion is just dishonest bullshit. How could anyone claim to know the mind of dead men? Moving on...

"OUR president" my ass. If you want to bow down to some man in a suit and stick your tounge up Obama's wealthy ass then be my guest. The president cannot usurp the constitution which he swore to uphold. The NRA cannot be dismantled by crybaby liberals who run to big brother every time life gets hard.

If you are attempting to pass laws granting the government the power to forbid me the ownership of firearms for personal defense that is the very definition of TAKEING AWAY RIGHTS. The right to life is meaningless unless it assumes the right to use the tools needed to defend that right. That is why we have the 2nd Amendment.

Your tank argument is a reductio ad absurdum argument. A tank is a tract driven vehicle which carries a cannon. We are talking about hand-held firearms that people can "bear", which means to carry. A tank is not a PERSONAL defense weapon now is it? Comparing a tank to a rifle is absurd. And yes, I do need a rifle if not for anything less than experiencing the pleasure of knowing it pisses you off to know that I have one.

A lot of good all those guns in the hands of the police and military did for those 12 people in Colorado. That mad gunman sure was scared of all those guns the police and military had, if only they had been there they could have done something. The police and military are tools of Government power and protect the nation as a whole and maintain law and order, they are not here to protect you or me personally. That is your own damn responsibility.

Your presumption that because people carry weapons they are somehow loose cannons is prejudicial and unfounded. 43-55 million gun owning households didn't murder anyone today, yet you would see them disarmed because that would make YOU feel better. Take your gun control policies and your love affair with Obama and shove them right your ass. My allegiance lies with the Constitution, not some self-absorbed ignorant politician.

Just so you know, I'm going to carry my personal sidearm tomorrow and I'm going to buy another box of ammo tomorrow, the scary hollow point kind you love to hate; not because I need it but just because I can and I know you hate that I can.
gunviolence

United States

#18 Jul 27, 2012
There's upcoming legislation that will raise the cost of ammunition, and the individual components of ammunition. Hopefully it will be a deterrence to purchasing ammo. I personally believe that it should be raised to 500.00 per cartridge. You would think a little more before firing a shot.
guest

Jackson, TN

#19 Jul 27, 2012
The Rationalist of 76 wrote:
<quoted text>One way to falsify the standard model would be to find something that is significantly older than 13.7 billion years. For a while, globular cluster measurements were thought to represent such a falsification, but with the improvement of both globular cluster measurements and cosmological measurements, we are now finding nice agreement.

Mr. cut and paste is back! And he's focused on excrement....
guest

Jackson, TN

#20 Jul 27, 2012
The Rationalist of 76 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your opinion of my post is worth less to me than the excrement I just flushed .
Why so hostile? You mad bro after that last thrashing you took?

Sounds like it.
morons

Jackson, TN

#21 Jul 27, 2012
Rationalist, I'm well aware that the speed limit is not gun control It's speed control. I'm well aware that the seat belt is not gun control. I'm well aware the meth is not gun control. Don't condescend. It doesn't work for you, unless you can copy/paste from Wikipedia.

The point, which you will never admit to understand, is that those are all things that are harmful. Meth is harmful. Speeding is harmful. Not wearing a seat belt is harmful. Paranoid rednecks running around with AKs are harmful.

I also know how our representative democracy works. We send people to cast their vote on our behalf. If you don't like that, then you're obviously unAmerican. If the people want control on assault weapons, then that's the way it will be. And the paranoid rednecks can go somewhere else. The "mouthpiece of tyranny." This isn't 1776, bud. There are no tyrants in this country. You would like for us to have them so that you could whine, but that's not the way it works here.

You own guns for the protecting yourself against "tyrants"? That's probably the stupidest thing I've seen someone post on Topix, which is saying a lot. Tyrants. Why are you so paranoid?

Again, join the army. They'd love to have you. Otherwise, go chase more windmills, Don.
The Rationalist of 76 wrote:
<quoted text>
Meth is not Gun control
The Speed limit is not Gun control
The Seat Belt is not Gun control
Reaching the correct conclusion on position A, B, and C does not grant you the right to assert you have reached the correct conclusion on position D.
"They" are elected representatives, those who wield political power. Our fellow citizens do not pass laws or make policy, the politicians do that. The politicians are the ones who grant themselves armed guards while they demand we turn over our weapons. The Government does INDEED make decisions and it is up to us make sure they make the right decisions.
<quoted text>
I do not own an Avtomat Kalashnikova rifle but I would not mind in the least if someone else did so long as they used it for lawful purposes. You are the mouthpiece of tyranny. You advocate for a complete monopoly of arms and in so doing you endanger the very liberties guaranteed by the Constitution. But you don't care about that, you spit on the Constitution because it stands in the way of the false security you so desperately want.
The citizenry do not own firearms so they can just go around shooting shit, that is the false image projected by your prejudiced mind. We, the gun owning citizens of these United States own firearms for the protection of our families and, if worse came to worse, the protection of our liberties against government tyrants who come answering your pitiful calls.
You are a boot licking, ass kissing, spineless, pathetic excuse of a free citizen. You would discard your liberty in exchange for the security of calling on others to protect you and then demand that the rest of us follow your example and surrender ours as well. If you wish to live defenseless and dependent upon the government to protect you then brother you go right ahead but I'm sure I speak for most others when I say that I will damned if I am going to live that way.
j-man

United States

#23 Jul 27, 2012
I agree with rationalist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Next Jackson Mayor Election 4 min Guest 42
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 7 min Guest 2,340
Best Elementary School? (Jul '15) 10 min Guest 34
Why was RoxDox’s Xray man in criminal lawyer Of... 1 hr Plump 3
How old is mandy harch on wbbj? 2 hr Elohel 9
Bypass and I40 Construction 2 hr Omg 17
haywood walkout 2 hr Imaginethat 33
Downtown Jackson 20 hr Shopper 342
Swirlers 21 hr Yeehaw 21

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages