Bullying in Elementary School

Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
squidbilly

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2013
My 9 year old granddaughter is being bullied by another female student in her classroom at school. She comes home with years in her eyes at least once a week. Can anyone explain why the teachers are so afraid to get involved? The child has never laid a hand on my granddaughter, but is constantly picking on her in some fashion. Her parents have told her to just ignore her but that's hard to do for a 9 year old. She has complained to the teacher and the principle, and they have still done nothing to stop the behavior. My daughter has written notes to the teacher and the principle and made visits to the school, and they always assure her that they are taking care of it, but it still continues to happen. The bully has never be questioned or reprimanded to my knowledge. This has been going on all school year. And I will add my granddaughter is not the only target she picks on, there are a few others. It was simpler in my day, there was no need for the principle to even get involved. The teacher would handle it right then and there and the parents were grateful for it!
Does anyone know what the next step would be when the school is not handling things? The bullying hadn't become physical as of yet, but that's what I'm afraid of. The only real physical contact she had made with my granddaughter is knocking her papers out of her hand or purposely bumping into her. And I was told she tripped another student on the playground. Most of the bullying is verbal. I just want it to stop.Bullying in Elementary School

United States

#2 Feb 14, 2013
squidbilly wrote:
My 9 year old granddaughter is being bullied by another female student in her classroom at school. She comes home with years in her eyes at least once a week. Can anyone explain why the teachers are so afraid to get involved? The child has never laid a hand on my granddaughter, but is constantly picking on her in some fashion. Her parents have told her to just ignore her but that's hard to do for a 9 year old. She has complained to the teacher and the principle, and they have still done nothing to stop the behavior. My daughter has written notes to the teacher and the principle and made visits to the school, and they always assure her that they are taking care of it, but it still continues to happen. The bully has never be questioned or reprimanded to my knowledge. This has been going on all school year. And I will add my granddaughter is not the only target she picks on, there are a few others. It was simpler in my day, there was no need for the principle to even get involved. The teacher would handle it right then and there and the parents were grateful for it!
Does anyone know what the next step would be when the school is not handling things? The bullying hadn't become physical as of yet, but that's what I'm afraid of. The only real physical contact she had made with my granddaughter is knocking her papers out of her hand or purposely bumping into her. And I was told she tripped another student on the playground. Most of the bullying is verbal. I just want it to stop.Bullying in Elementary School
I believe if the principle is not doing anything about it then the next step is to call the school board
Ms Distinguished

United States

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Where do you live?
squidbilly

United States

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Ms Distinguished wrote:
Where do you live?
I reside in Madison County, but my granddaughter attends school in the Henderson County School District

Stone Mountain, GA

#5 Feb 15, 2013
squidbilly wrote:
My son had same issue last year at his school. Nobody cares... From the teachers to the School Board. I fought and fought.... School Board told me "if he didn't go to hospital there is nothing we can do, it's handled by the Principal". So, I called JPD every time he had an issue and also notifed State Dept of Education every time I got an incident number from JPD. Only then the Principal began to intervene. His excuse was that Madison Co. does not allow Principals to discipline unless there is "physical" injury.....(BS !!!!).
The school system in this place sucks and nobody is going to change it. We need to find others in this situation and file a class action against all involved and then maybe then there will be some changes....... After all they are violating their own policies by ignoring the bullying issue.....

And yes, I pulled my child out of this POS school system this year and he has learned wayyyyy more and is SAFE being a home schooler.

Stone Mountain, GA

#6 Feb 15, 2013
And unfortunately there are gang members in the elementary schools ...... Just look them up on You Tube. They post videos with older members.......pretty sad !!!!!-but school board will claim there is No gang problem-
Pam

Lexington, TN

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Bullying (mainly the unconcerned hands-off attitude of the teachers and headmaster) was one of the big reasons - though not the only reason - we pulled our son from private school and began homeschooling.

Jackson, TN

#8 Feb 15, 2013
I was driving past Andrew JaCK son yesterday as sChoo I Was dismissing. Some Students were on the Sidewalk beside the street. They looked to be no older than 8 org years Old. They were taking turns pushing a Smaller Kid Off The Sidewalk onto the Street trying to get him run over by a car. It is sad That Kids Are this mean. I hope Someone else Saw this too and reported it to the School.
the answer is

Jackson, TN

#9 Feb 15, 2013
My son was being bullied last year and I went to the office and it didn't stop so I told him the next time it happened to find the first thing that wasn't nailed down and pick it up and put it across his head. It worked 3 stitches later

“It's a great day for.......”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 15, 2013
Guest wrote:
I was driving past Andrew JaCK son yesterday as sChoo I Was dismissing. Some Students were on the Sidewalk beside the street. They looked to be no older than 8 org years Old. They were taking turns pushing a Smaller Kid Off The Sidewalk onto the Street trying to get him run over by a car. It is sad That Kids Are this mean. I hope Someone else Saw this too and reported it to the School.
Did you not stop and report this incident? You should have.Why think someone else did if you did not?
school

Jackson, TN

#11 Feb 15, 2013
what a bad situation these kids are in at home and school.

“It's a great day for.......”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#12 Feb 15, 2013
the answer is wrote:
My son was being bullied last year and I went to the office and it didn't stop so I told him the next time it happened to find the first thing that wasn't nailed down and pick it up and put it across his head. It worked 3 stitches later
Was your son expelled for his actions? He could have been and you could have been charged with contributing factors.I know bullying is not what our students should be victims of but neither is stupidity. Violence is never the answer.

Goddard, KS

#13 Feb 15, 2013
squidbilly wrote:
my daughter went through exactly the same thing. We both went to the school guidance counsellor who then brought all parties involved to her office. It helped tremendously. Does your school have a guidance counsellor? Be proactive! Let the school know you won't tolerate it! When they see how you won't let it go they should take action. No child should be subjected to that in the school environment. Again, let them know you will not stop until something is done!
squidbilly

United States

#15 Feb 15, 2013
Well apparently several parents of other students have now come forward to complain about the same little girl. They have scheduled a meeting Monday with all parents of the children involved to try to get this situation resolved. I sure hope they can. Hopefully these parents will keep a united front. Violence is never the answer. Clearly this child has deeper issues going on.
the answer is

Jackson, TN

#16 Feb 15, 2013
ChopperBlades wrote:
<quoted text>Was your son expelled for his actions? He could have been and you could have been charged with contributing factors.I know bullying is not what our students should be victims of but neither is stupidity. Violence is never the answer.
Yes violence is the answer when you have been to the school multiple time and nothing got done and no he wasn't expelled because he was defending himself

Jackson, TN

#17 Feb 15, 2013
That's whats wrong with you stupid people about yes to violence. Both kids would be suspended with that on their school records. Go ahead tell them to cause violence at school and when they are at home with you because of it dont say a damn word.
Okk

Jackson, TN

#18 Feb 15, 2013
Violence is not the answer, and telling your kid to fight back shows nothing more than you are a horrible parent. Honestly, if some kid were bullying my kid and the school did nothing? Honestly I would feel I had the legal right to snatch that kid up and tell him to leave my kid alone or his parents are gonna have to search for him in the country.
Okk

Jackson, TN

#19 Feb 15, 2013
Not hurt him, but I will take that little Shi* head and drop him off in the middle of nowhere. You wanna know what helpless feels like? There ya go
Cigarette Steve

Jackson, TN

#20 Feb 15, 2013
Personally, I think it's the religion. Religion in schools screws up the entire system. Come smoke cigs with me kids and thrash coconuts at Fellowship Church out there on Plains Pleasant. live life lol
the answer is

Jackson, TN

#21 Feb 16, 2013
Okk wrote:
Violence is not the answer, and telling your kid to fight back shows nothing more than you are a horrible parent. Honestly, if some kid were bullying my kid and the school did nothing? Honestly I would feel I had the legal right to snatch that kid up and tell him to leave my kid alone or his parents are gonna have to search for him in the country.
Uh ok. How is that not violent?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Burger Place Downtown 4 min guest 24
Blue lives matter most! 15 min GnFnR 9
Young's Car looks awful 42 min bravo 13
What causes Bugg Eyes? 45 min Colleague 38
Jr Hit. Kotex truck driven by Puffy K 47 min Amazon 3
Jackson walk Phase 2 - the Bemis Mill (Oct '16) 1 hr mike 910
Truth or Lies 1 hr please 2
Eclipse Glasses ? 5 hr jaywhy 15

Jackson Jobs

More from around the web