Thread for Non-Believers

Posted in the Jackson Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,529
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Anonymous

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 25, 2013
 
Im tired of all this animosity between believers and non-believers on here. Its obvious that certain people do not believe in science and reason, and that is ok, so that is why im starting this thread for people wanting to discuss topics that believers would see as devilish or foolish, such as evolution, cosmology, and biology.

So non-believers of Jackson, what has been on your mind lately?

P.S. If you have anything negative to say, leave it at the door, I am about peace, not this animosity. This is a thread where non-believers can discuss things without being frowned upon by so called believers.
Auntie Theist

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 26, 2013
 
EvolutionMan wrote:
Im tired of all this animosity between believers and non-believers on here. Its obvious that certain people do not believe in science and reason, and that is ok, so that is why im starting this thread for people wanting to discuss topics that believers would see as devilish or foolish, such as evolution, cosmology, and biology.
So non-believers of Jackson, what has been on your mind lately?
P.S. If you have anything negative to say, leave it at the door, I am about peace, not this animosity. This is a thread where non-believers can discuss things without being frowned upon by so called believers.
I think there are many non believers in Jackson. Of course, many will be in the closet as they are afraid for their jobs and possibly their lives based on historical evidence. What about starting a meet up group using meetup.com to get away from the constant constriction of Christianity?
Secular Mom

Savannah, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 26, 2013
 
I'm with ya.
agnosticandproud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 26, 2013
 
It makes me very very sad that people are looked down on for not believing in fairy tales.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 26, 2013
 
Are there any good sites for fossil hunting in West Tennessee?
Auntie Theist

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 26, 2013
 
MrDesoto1 wrote:
Are there any good sites for fossil hunting in West Tennessee?
Yes, Coon Creek is very good. It is close to Adamsville, but you need a good sized party to get in I believe. I've been once.
http://www.memphismuseums.org/coon_creek-over...
EvolutionMan

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 26, 2013
 
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Coon Creek is very good. It is close to Adamsville, but you need a good sized party to get in I believe. I've been once.
http://www.memphismuseums.org/coon_creek-over...
I've been there before, its pretty good, I'm sure you can schudule small groups and what not. It's like a tour.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 26, 2013
 
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Coon Creek is very good. It is close to Adamsville, but you need a good sized party to get in I believe. I've been once.
http://www.memphismuseums.org/coon_creek-over...
Thanks for the info. I haven't done any fossil hunting since I left Oklahoma 20 plus years ago. I still have a few fossils, but with moving around so much, I've lost a lot of them. Plus some samples like 10 to 20lb Nautiloids broke up during the moves.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 26, 2013
 
EvolutionMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been there before, its pretty good, I'm sure you can schudule small groups and what not. It's like a tour.
It's definitely restricted to: "Visits to the center are limited to organized groups".
True Believer

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 26, 2013
 
EvolutionMan wrote:
Im tired of all this animosity between believers and non-believers on here. Its obvious that certain people do not believe in science and reason, and that is ok, so that is why im starting this thread for people wanting to discuss topics that believers would see as devilish or foolish, such as evolution, cosmology, and biology.

So non-believers of Jackson, what has been on your mind lately?

P.S. If you have anything negative to say, leave it at the door, I am about peace, not this animosity. This is a thread where non-believers can discuss things without being frowned upon by so called believers.
This is not meant to be negative at all, so I just wanted to give that disclaimer real quick.

But I believe in science, AND I believe in the Bible. Any Christian with a shred of intelligence can see that they actually do work hand in hand. But see, I think throughout the years, the translations of the Bible have been skewed. This is why I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak. I've learned to separate the fact from the fiction.

Please don't lump all Christians into the same category with the overbearing, "my crap don't stink" church members. Some of us do have a lot of respect for other beliefs and do understand that science is not evil. It is a way of understanding this universe. And with that, I think science is actually one of God's most precious gifts to mankind.

I also read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. I got kicked out of a church for that one. I got kicked out of a different church for standing up for marriage equality. Like I said, some of us believers have a shred of intelligence and can see things a lot clearer than others.(Not trying to pat myself on the back, I promise.). And thank you so much for taking the time to read my very long post. Didn't mean for it to go on and on. Please forgive me.
higher2

Humboldt, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 27, 2013
 
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not meant to be negative at all, so I just wanted to give that disclaimer real quick.
But I believe in science, AND I believe in the Bible. Any Christian with a shred of intelligence can see that they actually do work hand in hand. But see, I think throughout the years, the translations of the Bible have been skewed. This is why I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak. I've learned to separate the fact from the fiction.
Please don't lump all Christians into the same category with the overbearing, "my crap don't stink" church members. Some of us do have a lot of respect for other beliefs and do understand that science is not evil. It is a way of understanding this universe. And with that, I think science is actually one of God's most precious gifts to mankind.
I also read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. I got kicked out of a church for that one. I got kicked out of a different church for standing up for marriage equality. Like I said, some of us believers have a shred of intelligence and can see things a lot clearer than others.(Not trying to pat myself on the back, I promise.). And thank you so much for taking the time to read my very long post. Didn't mean for it to go on and on. Please forgive me.
You got kicked out of a church? Well, we all know what that means. You don't buy into the bullshit masquerading as godliness.
True Believer

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 27, 2013
 
higher2 wrote:
<quoted text>You got kicked out of a church? Well, we all know what that means. You don't buy into the bullshit masquerading as godliness.
Pretty much sums it up, yes. Lol
EvolutionMan

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 27, 2013
 
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not meant to be negative at all, so I just wanted to give that disclaimer real quick.
But I believe in science, AND I believe in the Bible. Any Christian with a shred of intelligence can see that they actually do work hand in hand. But see, I think throughout the years, the translations of the Bible have been skewed. This is why I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak. I've learned to separate the fact from the fiction.
Please don't lump all Christians into the same category with the overbearing, "my crap don't stink" church members. Some of us do have a lot of respect for other beliefs and do understand that science is not evil. It is a way of understanding this universe. And with that, I think science is actually one of God's most precious gifts to mankind.
I also read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. I got kicked out of a church for that one. I got kicked out of a different church for standing up for marriage equality. Like I said, some of us believers have a shred of intelligence and can see things a lot clearer than others.(Not trying to pat myself on the back, I promise.). And thank you so much for taking the time to read my very long post. Didn't mean for it to go on and on. Please forgive me.
So you don't believe that Genesis can be debunked with science? My only issue is that we know for a fact that many stories of Genesis are false, so there's no way I can just look past that and believe the rest of the book.
Auntie Theist

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 27, 2013
 
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not meant to be negative at all, so I just wanted to give that disclaimer real quick.
But I believe in science, AND I believe in the Bible. Any Christian with a shred of intelligence can see that they actually do work hand in hand. But see, I think throughout the years, the translations of the Bible have been skewed. This is why I can see both sides of the coin, so to speak. I've learned to separate the fact from the fiction.
Please don't lump all Christians into the same category with the overbearing, "my crap don't stink" church members. Some of us do have a lot of respect for other beliefs and do understand that science is not evil. It is a way of understanding this universe. And with that, I think science is actually one of God's most precious gifts to mankind.
I also read all the Harry Potter books and loved them. I got kicked out of a church for that one. I got kicked out of a different church for standing up for marriage equality. Like I said, some of us believers have a shred of intelligence and can see things a lot clearer than others.(Not trying to pat myself on the back, I promise.). And thank you so much for taking the time to read my very long post. Didn't mean for it to go on and on. Please forgive me.
I'm sorry but your post makes little sense to me. "You have learned to separate fact from fiction." Well that's a start - does it mean that you totally discount the writing within the bible or does it mean that you cherry pick the bible to confirm what you wish to believe?
True Believer

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 27, 2013
 
Auntie Theist wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry but your post makes little sense to me. "You have learned to separate fact from fiction." Well that's a start - does it mean that you totally discount the writing within the bible or does it mean that you cherry pick the bible to confirm what you wish to believe?
I don't cherry pick anything. But from what has happened to me in my life, I can, with physical evidence prove that some of what is in the Bible is FACT. Other things I cannot prove as being fact, and science debunks it so I have to go with my brain on those issues and I go with science. As for the creation, I think it's a little of all Evolution/Big Bang/creationism. I really do believe that science AND the Bible work together to answer all of life's questions. And if I'm wrong... Who cares? It was my life to choose what I believe and what I don't believe. I do not force my beliefs on others, as some other Christians do. I just wanted to chime in here to let you all know, that not all of us are hateful, awful, judgmental people. And yeah, there are really Christians out there that listen to fact, and can still have faith God.
True Believer

Eddyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 27, 2013
 
EvolutionMan wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't believe that Genesis can be debunked with science? My only issue is that we know for a fact that many stories of Genesis are false, so there's no way I can just look past that and believe the rest of the book.
Read my previous post. I couldn't reply to both at the same time. So, I just put it all in one.:)
Auntie Theist

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 27, 2013
 
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't cherry pick anything. But from what has happened to me in my life, I can, with physical evidence prove that some of what is in the Bible is FACT. Other things I cannot prove as being fact, and science debunks it so I have to go with my brain on those issues and I go with science. As for the creation, I think it's a little of all Evolution/Big Bang/creationism. I really do believe that science AND the Bible work together to answer all of life's questions. And if I'm wrong... Who cares? It was my life to choose what I believe and what I don't believe. I do not force my beliefs on others, as some other Christians do. I just wanted to chime in here to let you all know, that not all of us are hateful, awful, judgmental people. And yeah, there are really Christians out there that listen to fact, and can still have faith God.
Descartes started out by saying all that he could not prove is false. He then went off on a tangent with the body/soul issue. However, if that is what you claim, welcome to the club. I'm not sure you do make that claim though because you obviously have a belief in the supernatural without proof. However, your views are far more refreshing on this forum than most of the Christian posts. I'm very happy to learn that you want god removed from the currency and out of the pledge.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 27, 2013
 
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't cherry pick anything. But from what has happened to me in my life, I can, with physical evidence prove that some of what is in the Bible is FACT. Other things I cannot prove as being fact, and science debunks it so I have to go with my brain on those issues and I go with science. As for the creation, I think it's a little of all Evolution/Big Bang/creationism. I really do believe that science AND the Bible work together to answer all of life's questions. And if I'm wrong... Who cares? It was my life to choose what I believe and what I don't believe. I do not force my beliefs on others, as some other Christians do. I just wanted to chime in here to let you all know, that not all of us are hateful, awful, judgmental people. And yeah, there are really Christians out there that listen to fact, and can still have faith God.
Without getting too far away from the subject of this thread "Thread for Non-Believers" your response is a breath of fresh air in that you seem to be someone here that can have a decent, civil conversation with. Many atheists/agnostics have said in the past that if we did not see this continual encroachment of other people's religion into our daily lives, you would probably never hear much from us.
BIG JOHN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 27, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

I don't care what any of you say, I totally believe in Santa Clause.

“Reason's Greetings!”

Since: Feb 11

Pale Blue Dot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

BIG JOHN wrote:
I don't care what any of you say, I totally believe in Santa Clause.
I have always liked Tim "The Tool Man Taylor" Allen too.

I don't think I have seen this one though:

The Santa Clause

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111070/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of1,529
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

135 Users are viewing the Jackson Forum right now

Search the Jackson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Do you think Christians will be allowed in the ... 15 min Mona Theist 55
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 17 min WTSenior 124,407
If a Christian.... 17 min Guest 94
Will Homosexuals Be Allowed in Heaven (Jan '13) 25 min another viewer 686
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 36 min land owner 8,501
Emporium on Vann Dr. (Jun '13) 51 min Gar 41
Need honest advice 1 hr Grow Up First Step 25
Who's Sleeping With Who At The Downtown Tavern? (Jan '12) Tue Reading is Fundamental 46
•••
•••
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jackson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••