Easter Challenge for Christians c & p
Posted in the Jackson Forum
#1 Mar 27, 2013
I HAVE AN EASTER challenge for Christians. My challenge is simply this: tell me what happened on Easter. I am not asking for proof. My straightforward request is merely that Christians tell me exactly what happened on the day that their most important doctrine was born.
Believers should eagerly take up this challenge, since without the resurrection, there is no Christianity. Paul wrote, "And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not." (I Corinthians 15:14-15)
The conditions of the challenge are simple and reasonable. In each of the four Gospels, begin at Easter morning and read to the end of the book: Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21. Also read Acts 1:3-12 and Paul's tiny version of the story in I Corinthians 15:3-8. These 165 verses can be read in a few moments. Then, without omitting a single detail from these separate accounts, write a simple, chronological narrative of the events between the resurrection and the ascension: what happened first, second, and so on; who said what, when; and where these things happened.
Since the gospels do not always give precise times of day, it is permissible to make educated guesses. The narrative does not have to pretend to present a perfect picture--it only needs to give at least one plausible account of all of the facts. Additional explanation of the narrative may be set apart in parentheses. The important condition to the challenge, however, is that not one single biblical detail be omitted. Fair enough?
#2 Mar 27, 2013
Are you Jewish?
#3 Mar 27, 2013
a gweat big white bunny came and left colored eggs all over my yard
then we went and eat them
that was my favorite easter
#4 Mar 28, 2013
You take your non belief and shove it. Pretty much. Later.
#5 Mar 28, 2013
Please do not feed the troll. Thank you.
#6 Mar 28, 2013
i also remeber how easter was. one time i had lost a tooth before and the toothe fairy put a quartet under my pillow.
the next day a big white wabbitt came to the house and we had to go inside while he hid eggs all over the place. then we found them.
after a while the preacher showed up and explained to us that easter was about more than big white wabbitts and toothe fairies and why we was having such a good time cause some man named jesus was killed by non beluivers in a most gruesome way and that someday auntie athiest would be tryin to cause all kind of truoble by stirring up shit on a thing called the internet. a little prophecy there i guess
all this occured on my 30th birthday in 1988 and i will always remember that big white wabbitt and i still have ethat quareter that the tooth fairy left for me.
so i relly dont want to hear about your christian hating crusade you have going on on the internet and i am hopeful others who come here will try to insult you with some kind of silly ass story to counter your silly ass belief that that big white wabbitt,tooth fairies and santa claus are not real just as you think the chritisan religion is not real and that the greatest man who ever lived still lives after over 2000 years of fools like you trying to convince others he did not.
sorry you are so miserable. go find an easter egg hunt and participate. most of them are secular
#7 Mar 28, 2013
No takers yet from the Christian intelligentsia - I wonder why. Perhaps I should offer a reward?
#8 Mar 28, 2013
pleae forgive us. i did not know these open topics were closed to us non believers only.
perhaps some of your cult should so up and enlighten all of us about thier wabbitt encounters.
#9 Mar 28, 2013
I am an atheist and I live in West Tennessee... won't say what town but it is not Jackson.
I find this question very interesting and I too will be looking for an answer. It's a legitimate question that Christians should be able to answer with no problem.
#10 Mar 28, 2013
The challenge is open to anyone - please try it. I thought Christians would be anxious to show off their doctrine and convert me.
Since: Jul 10
#11 Mar 28, 2013
Taking it out of text will cause a problem, but I will do it for you.
Since: Jul 10
#12 Mar 28, 2013
I will be using the New Living Translation.
Matthew 1.Sunday morning
3.going to visit tomb
4.Great earthquake caused by angel
5.Angel rolled stone aside
6.Sat on the stone.
7.Face shone like lightning.
8.Clothing was as white as snow.
9. The guards shook with fear when they saw him, and they fell into a dead faint.
10.Then the angel spoke to the women.
11.He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen.
12.And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there 13.Jesus met them and greeted them.
14.And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him.
15.Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee,
16.some of the guards went into the city and told the leading priests what had happened
17. A meeting with the elders was called, and they decided to give the soldiers a large bribe.
18.They told the soldiers,“You must say,‘Jesus’ disciples came during the night while we were sleeping, and they stole his body.’
19. So the guards accepted the bribe.
20.Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.
21. Jesus came and told his disciples,“I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations,[b] baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.
This is the completion of Matthew, is this what you're wanting to do?
Since: Jul 10
#13 Mar 28, 2013
1. Saturday evening.
2. Two Mary's and Salome.
3. Went out and purchased burial spices.
4. Very early on Sunday morning,[a] just at sunrise, they went to the tomb
5.“Who will roll away the stone for us.
6. The stone, which was very large, had already been rolled aside.
7. When they entered the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a white robe sitting on the right side
8.He is risen from the dead!
9.7 Now go and tell his disciples, including Peter, that Jesus is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him there
10. The women fled from the tomb, trembling and bewildered, and they said nothing to anyone because they were too frightened.[c]
11. Then they briefly reported all this to Peter and his companions.
12. Afterward Jesus himself sent them out from east to west with the sacred and unfailing message of salvation that gives eternal life
13. After Jesus rose from the dead early on Sunday morning.
14. the first person who saw him was Mary Magdalene
15. She went to the disciples.
16. They didn’t believe her.
17. Afterward he appeared in a different form to two of his followers
18. They rushed back to tell the others, but no one believed them.
19. Still later he appeared to the eleven disciples.
20. He rebuked them for their stubborn unbelief because they refused to believe those who had seen him after he had been raised from the dead.[d]
21. And then he told them,“Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. 16 Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned.
22. 17 These miraculous signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak in new languages.[e] 18 They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick, and they will be healed.”
23. 19 When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, he was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 20 And the disciples went everywhere and preached, and the Lord worked through them, confirming what they said by many miraculous signs.
This completes Mark.
Since: Jul 10
#14 Mar 28, 2013
1. But very early on Sunday morning.
2. The women went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.
3. They found that the stone had been rolled away
4. Two men suddenly appeared to them, clothed in dazzling robes.
5. 6 He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead!
6. Remember what he told you back in Galilee, 7 that the Son of Man[b] must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and that he would rise again on the third day.”
7. So they rushed back from the tomb to tell his eleven disciples
8. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and several other women who told the apostles what had happened. 11
9. But the story sounded like nonsense to the men.
10. However, Peter jumped up and ran to the tomb to look. Stooping, he peered in and saw the empty linen wrappings; then he went home again
11. That same day two of Jesus’ followers were walking to the village of Emmaus, seven miles[c] from Jerusalem. 14
12. 16 But God kept them from recognizing him.
13. 17 He asked them,“What are you discussing so intently as you walk along?”
14.“The things that happened to Jesus.
15. Then some women from our group of his followers were at his tomb early this morning, and they came back with an amazing report. 23 They said his body was missing, and they had seen angels who told them Jesus is alive
16. Stay the night with us, since it is getting late.” So he went home with them. 30 As they sat down to eat,[d] he took the bread and blessed it. Then he broke it and gave it to them. 31 Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!
17. Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road, and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread
18. Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost,
19.“And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”
Then Jesus led them to Bethany, and lifting his hands to heaven, he blessed them. 51 While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up to heaven. 52 So they worshiped him and then returned to Jerusalem filled with great joy. 53 And they spent all of their time in the Temple, praising God.
This completes Luke.
Since: Jul 10
#15 Mar 28, 2013
1. Later, Jesus appeared again to the disciples beside the Sea of Galilee
2. 3 Simon Peter said,“I’m going fishing.”
“We’ll come, too,”
3. 4 At dawn Jesus was standing on the beach, but the disciples couldn’t see who he was. 5 He called out,“Fellows,[c] have you caught any fish?”
“No,” they replied.
4.“Throw out your net on the right-hand side of the boat, and you’ll get some!”
5. Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his tunic (for he had stripped for work), jumped into the water
6. When they got there, they found breakfast waiting for them—fish cooking over a charcoal fire, and some bread.
7. A third time he asked him,“Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said,“Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
8. Jesus said,“Then feed my sheep.
9. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others[f] will dress you and take you where you don’t want to go.” 19 Jesus said this to let him know by what kind of death he would glorify God. Then Jesus told him,“Follow me.”
10. Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked,“Lord, who will betray you?” 21 Peter asked Jesus,“What about him, Lord?”
11. Jesus replied,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? As for you, follow me.
12. But that isn’t what Jesus said at all. He only said,“If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?”
13. 24 This disciple is the one who testifies to these events and has recorded them here. And we know that his account of these things is accurate.
This completes John.
Since: Jul 10
#16 Mar 28, 2013
Acts 1 3;12,
1. 3 During the forty days after his crucifixion, he appeared to the apostles from time to time
2.“Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you the gift he promised, as I told you before.
3. 6 So when the apostles were with Jesus, they kept asking him,“Lord, has the time come for you to free Israel and restore our kingdom?”
4.“The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know
5. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
6. After saying this, he was taken up into a cloud
7. he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!”
8. 12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives, a distance of half a mile.[
This completes Acts.
#17 Mar 28, 2013
You do realize Easter was original a pagan holiday. That was converted to a Christian holiday to it an easier transition from paganism to roman catholic. As were most Christian holidays.
#18 Mar 28, 2013
Well thanks for the work but you have missed the point. The challenge is for one account that takes in all 165 verses. Your accounts are all different. One accurate, chronological account is the challenge.
#19 Mar 29, 2013
I will hold off commenting on this challenge until after Easter to give all Christians a fair chance to participate (see the first post for the challenge.)
#20 Mar 30, 2013
Only one failed attempt so far. Where are those committed Christians?
"Oh ye of little faith!"
Add your comments below
|Which is better - Catholic church or Baptist? (Mar '17)||3 min||Rivet Head||586|
|Who is she?||36 min||kaboom||29|
|Today's bible verse (Oct '16)||52 min||Rivet Head||3,175|
|Suggestions for a couple coming to jackson||52 min||Rivet Head||3|
|Best Turkey Gravy brand||53 min||kaboom||3|
|Downtown Jackson||1 hr||Food||119|
|chuch xmas bonus||1 hr||Eyesore||2|
|Sick of medina people (Apr '14)||6 hr||Guest||132|
|Woman found dead at Rodeway Inn||17 hr||Baphomet||8|
Find what you want!
Search Jackson Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC