Travel baseball
Mom of 3 boys

Jackson, TN

#1 Sep 16, 2011
Does travel baseball hurt or help a child? If it helps, what age should a child start travel ball?

Beech Bluff, TN

#2 Sep 16, 2011
Only if your husband is one of the coaches. Believe me, if he is not one of the coaches, you need need to just wait until they can play for teams at their schools for school paid coaches whose only agendas will be to win games.
anon

Savannah, TN

#3 Sep 16, 2011
It is a great experience for your child. Much more competitive and diverse than local leagues. Biggest issue is to make sure you investigate the coach. If he is in it to make money, he dies not have your child's best interest at heart. It's pretty easy to find out....just go follow a few teams at the sportsplex on a few different weekends.
really

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2011
There is a really good program in Jackson if you're good enough to be a part of it.

Beech Bluff, TN

#5 Sep 17, 2011
Mom, "anon" and "really" are just two coaches who are in need of players. Trust me, if you or your husband does not get at least an assistant coaching spot on the team stay away. Also, educate yourself on things like how cold it can be for a minor to safely pitch and how many pitches they can throw and where in the batter's lineup do you have the best chance to have a higher batting average, etc., etc., etc. There is a lot of different ways that coaches can mess your kid over in baseball.
Mom of 3 boys

Jackson, TN

#6 Sep 17, 2011
My husband nor I neither one would be capable of coaching. One of my sons has been asked to play a few teams but coaches are the biggest thing I am afraid of. They are all slick talkers who seem to have the right things to say but I am very apprehensive of the results they say they can produce.

Really- which program is the best in Jackson?

Beech Bluff, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2011
just don't do it then. send them to camps so that their they can develop some skills and wait on the school coached teams for them to play on a team.
Coach

Pineville, KY

#8 Sep 18, 2011
Before joining a team have your child practice, practice, practice the fundamentals- like the comment above-= send the kid to skills camps and when they aren't in a camp make sure they get some kind of supervised practice learning fundamentals- throwing, catching, fielding, and of course, hitting. Best way to "coach" them is to be simple, make sure everything is fundamentally sound and HAVE FUN doing it. They only way to get better at anything is to PRACTICE.
wife of a coach

United States

#9 Sep 18, 2011
My husband coaches a travel ball team in West TN. He does not have a child on the team and doesn't receive pay for coaching. He coaches because he enjoys it. Find a team whose coach is interested in your child LEARNING, not just winning, and a coach who isn't in it to better his own child, but ALL of his players.
anon

Savannah, TN

#10 Sep 18, 2011
guest wrote:
Mom, "anon" and "really" are just two coaches who are in need of players. Trust me, if you or your husband does not get at least an assistant coaching spot on the team stay away. Also, educate yourself on things like how cold it can be for a minor to safely pitch and how many pitches they can throw and where in the batter's lineup do you have the best chance to have a higher batting average, etc., etc., etc. There is a lot of different ways that coaches can mess your kid over in baseball.
Actually I'm definitely NOT a coach. I'm a MOM who was blessed to have had an AWESOME travel ball coach. I've also witnessed some very bad ones. You just have to investigate to find out which ones are which. It is very competitive. Losing has never been fun. If they can't make it on a local league they won't make it on a travel team.
lvf

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Sep 19, 2011
Travel ball is good for those capable of making a team. On the bad side, it often destroys the local leagues by taking the better/best players from that league amking it difficult for their teams to progress very deep into tournament play. I also abhor the expense that parents have to go to in order to place their child on one of these teams. When you have to borrow the money, ask yourself if it is really worth the cost? The emotional stress may be too much for both the player and/or the parents.
Travel Mom

Monterey, TN

#12 Sep 20, 2011
My two sons have played travel ball for years Yes it takes away from the local leagues but isn't that true thru life Companies want the best working for them. We have had a few coaches that just sat on their duff and did not "coach" they were more about being in charge and ruling the kids We have had coaches that were all about the kids and teaching the kids the sport, team support and building on fundamentals I have never known of a coach to be paid, generally they have a child on the team.

If you choose to hold your child back to "play with friends" or "help a local league" are you really doing your child a justice. Me personally, my childrens skills are being built upon and altho college is a few years away, we are hoping for scholarships at the least and pro ball at the best.

We step back and let the coach do his job But there are parents that are all about the social side of the game and disregard their childrens best interest. So in summary, if your child is good enough to make a travel team...but his best interest first, check out the coach and find our who some of the other players/parents are....good luck
I agree

United States

#13 Sep 21, 2011
Not going to out you my dear friend but I think our sons play ball together. We had this very conversation at the ballpark. One of my sons made travel ball. One did not. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Check out the coach. My thinking is not only did my boys have to try out but I also had requirements for the coach to meet

Memphis, TN

#14 Sep 21, 2011
These are all coaches rather they are willing to lie about it or not. Either that or they have a stake of some sort in the travel ball park out on the interstate. If it matters to you rather you kid gets treated right, if it matters to you that your kid might get put on the mound because the coaches consider it too cold to risk their own kid's arm, if things like this matter to you, don't do it. If these things don't matter to you, and sadly they don't to alot of people, then do it. Just be sure because if it does matter and you complain these shit holes will attempt to label you and perform a character assassination on you and they are usually pretty well connected people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Downtown Jackson part 3 6 min Lana banana 2
105.3 Fox Sports 24 min Radio Head 1
Bill Way returning to WNWS 26 min Local Guy 24
Autostart 36 min Guest 2
April 18th 55 min Clerk 36
Best Uber/Lyft drivers 1 hr Sheriff Andy 3
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 6 hr Guest 3,092

Jackson Jobs

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages