Posted in the Jackson Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Jesus

Cincinnati, OH

#1 Feb 7, 2013
By Felicia Tackett Times-Journal Writer. Feb 7, 2013

JACKSONó Today, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Ohio and the Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) filed a lawsuit against the Jackson City School District, seeking the removal of a religious portrait currently on display in Jackson Middle School.

FFRF sent an initial letter of complaint on Jan. 2 to Jackson City School District Supt. Phil Howard demanding that the portrait of Jesus Christ come down. That initial complaint from FFRF brought almost a whole community together in support of keeping the portrait where it is. The next letter came from the ACLU and was much the same as the letter from the FFRF, as they too demanded that the picture come down because it allegedly violates the Constitution. That is when the Liberty Institute stepped in to represent the school district. The Liberty Institute has fought both the FFRF and ACLU in the past and claims to have had very good success rates when it comes to winning those cases.

The U.S. District Court complaint was filed on behalf of a child who attends Jackson Middle School, as well as two parents who currently have children attending school in the district. The anonymous student self-identifies as a Christian, but feels the portrait portrays the Christian faith in a way that distorts his or her beliefs. The other plaintiffs claim the portrait interferes with the way they have chosen to teach their children about morality and religion by promoting one belief system above all others.....

More

http://www.athensohiotoday.com/news/aclu-and-...
sicko

Jackson, OH

#2 Feb 7, 2013
The picture need to come down and we need a new school board president.
:)

Jackson, OH

#3 Feb 7, 2013
sicko wrote:
The picture need to come down and we need a new school board president.
This is the one place where the majority can rule. We (Christians) may not be able to keep the artwork in the end but we can keep and appoint Christians in office by having the majority vote.
LESTER

Jackson, OH

#4 Feb 7, 2013
[QUOTE who=":)"]<quoted text>
This is the one place where the majority can rule. We (Christians) may not be able to keep the artwork in the end but we can keep and appoint Christians in office by having the majority vote.[/QUOTE]You should not re-elect the school board president who is now holding this title and doing a unjust in the community with parents.
momma knows

West Chester, OH

#5 Feb 7, 2013
I wonder what ever happened to pot stirer Momma cougar. She must have dropped off a mountain and into a large body of water. She started all this stupid crap and now even her wife won't save her.

“Im almost innocent i swear ”

Since: Nov 12

Depends on where im at.

#6 Feb 8, 2013
Now why is it that constitutional freedom of religion is fought for by the aclu, but the constitutional right to bear arms is not? Funny how they pick and choose.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Feb 8, 2013
This is the one place where the majority can rule. We (Christians) may not be able to keep the artwork in the end but we can keep and appoint Christians in office by having the majority vote.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, on so many levels.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Feb 8, 2013
CrazyPeopleEC wrote:
Now why is it that constitutional freedom of religion is fought for by the aclu, but the constitutional right to bear arms is not? Funny how they pick and choose.
Funny how you think it matters.

They can pick and choose as they wish. I notice they don't spend a lot of time defending the 3rd amendment either.

The short and practical answer is 1) the have a different interpretation of the 2nd than rabid NRA types, therefore 2) they don't see the right as much under threat as other rights and 3) the NRA is already out there doing the work, and they are quite well funded, so there's no real need.

All of this is, of course, completely irrelevant as to whether they are correct in this case.
Keep the peace

United States

#11 Feb 8, 2013
Why post where you think these people live? I am not saying I agree with them wanting it down but whats the point? We should keep the peace and not be ugly in this issue.
Stupid

Chillicothe, OH

#12 Feb 8, 2013
Why are you blaming the school board president? Are you really that uninformed? The board operates on a majority vote and it was a unanimous decision.....why blame one person? Sounds more like a personal agenda.....
sad

United States

#13 Feb 8, 2013
It's sad that Jackson people have nothing better to do but hate Jesus!!! Let the photo stay and love Jesus
TRUTH

United States

#14 Feb 8, 2013
He know who started this nonsense !!
krma

United States

#15 Feb 8, 2013
What comes around goes around best believe that!!

United States

#16 Feb 8, 2013
Strel wrote:
This is the one place where the majority can rule. We (Christians) may not be able to keep the artwork in the end but we can keep and appoint Christians in office by having the majority vote. "

Wrong, on so many levels.
Wrong how?
Isn't that the way if works in local politics? If the majority of the people are lets say not Christian... And they want someone like minded in a particular office wouldn't they vote for that person? Btw I was responding to the comment above it regarding firing the school board president.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#17 Feb 8, 2013
Wrong how?
Isn't that the way if works in local politics? If the majority of the people are lets say not Christian... And they want someone like minded in a particular office wouldn't they vote for that person? Btw I was responding to the comment above it regarding firing the school board president.[/QUOTE]

This is a constitutional issue. The Bill of Rights is pointless if any podunk school board can simply override it with a vote.

Basic Ameican civics: the Constitution establishes certain protections and provisions that ARE NOT subject to majority vote. That is, in fact, the whole point of having them in the first place - to protect against the tyranny of the majority. Separation of church and state, as mandated by the Establishment clause, is one of those things we do NOT leave up to majority vote.

They can vote how they like, but if the results of that vote violate the Constitution, it is illegal.

So what the Christian majority wants is irrelevant. The law is the law.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#18 Feb 8, 2013
ALSO. you screen name ":)" is screwing up the quote feature.
Mike Honcho

Parkersburg, WV

#20 Feb 8, 2013
Wrong how?
Isn't that the way if works in local politics? If the majority of the people are lets say not Christian... And they want someone like minded in a particular office wouldn't they vote for that person? Btw I was responding to the comment above it regarding firing the school board president.[/QUOTE]

Federal law trumps Local law, always

Jackson, OH

#21 Feb 8, 2013
Mike Honcho wrote:
Wrong how?
Isn't that the way if works in local politics? If the majority of the people are lets say not Christian... And they want someone like minded in a particular office wouldn't they vote for that person? Btw I was responding to the comment above it regarding firing the school board president. "

I am speaking of who we (as voters) want in public offices. Nothing more nothing less. You are reading too much into my comment.

Jackson, OH

#22 Feb 8, 2013
Mike Honcho wrote:
Wrong how?
Isn't that the way if works in local politics? If the majority of the people are lets say not Christian... And they want someone like minded in a particular office wouldn't they vote for that person? Btw I was responding to the comment above it regarding firing the school board president. "

You apparently aren't following the thread correctly. I only began by responding to the person wanting members of school board fired. I said nothing regarding the "portrait" being illegal or legal.
Right

Jackson, OH

#23 Feb 8, 2013
[QUOTE who=":)"]<quoted text>You apparently aren't following the thread correctly. I only began by responding to the person wanting members of school board fired. I said nothing regarding the "portrait" being illegal or legal.[/QUOTE]

I love how people on here keep saying the board needs removed, yet they keep being re elected. Apparently the majority disagrees with you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jackson City Schools 1 hr Yep 3
Alisha brown... 1 hr Yeah 4
Sarah Coleman 2 hr Idoits 5
Mary Sirback 13 hr Marc 5
Star Recycling with Joe & Jeff Blair (Apr '11) 19 hr Just_wondering 37
Mrs Donald Trapp Sun Friends 5
Hope Smith Sun Your worst nightm... 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Jackson Mortgages