Bryant backs new restrictions on abortion in Miss.

Jan 10, 2013 Full story: Sunherald.com 29

Phil Bryant told several dozen pastors and other abortion opponents Thursday that he supports a bill that would ban the procedure once a fetal heartbeat can be detected.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“lightly burnt,but still smokin”

Since: Dec 06

in the corner of your mind,

#1 Jan 11, 2013
another forced birther kissing that fundie ass,keeping those sheeple voting republican,isn't mississippi last in everything except ignorance and incest?
Tony

Terry, MS

#2 Jan 13, 2013
Republicans Republicans alwayzz got sumn shitt going on!!!!
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#3 Jan 21, 2013
Restrict it all you want but until you stop K-mart and Walmart from selling crochet hooks and build a fence around the state to keep women from going out of state,they're not going to stop it.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#4 Jan 22, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
Restrict it all you want but until you stop K-mart and Walmart from selling crochet hooks and build a fence around the state to keep women from going out of state,they're not going to stop it.
Odd argument. Any number of activities are presunmably prhibited by Missiissippi law and they have yet to build your "fence".

Agree or not with the proposal, but he's proposing the action based at least on an objective medical standard.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#5 Jan 23, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Odd argument. Any number of activities are presunmably prhibited by Missiissippi law and they have yet to build your "fence".
Agree or not with the proposal, but he's proposing the action based at least on an objective medical standard.
It's an attempt to put greater control on poor people. Women of means can travel to another state where they can get a safe legal clinical termination but the poor women will either be forced into motherhood or resort to back alley clinics,or kitchen table procedures as in the past. Mr Bryant believes in the old saying "keep 'em dumb,barefoot,and pregnant and they will be easier to control" attitude.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#6 Jan 24, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>It's an attempt to put greater control on poor people. Women of means can travel to another state where they can get a safe legal clinical termination but the poor women will either be forced into motherhood or resort to back alley clinics,or kitchen table procedures as in the past. Mr Bryant believes in the old saying "keep 'em dumb,barefoot,and pregnant and they will be easier to control" attitude.
I haven't seen any quotes from Bryant as you suggest. Maybe you can cite some.

Who, now, can claim being "forced into motherhood"? Birth control is ubiquitous. Easier to buy than cigarettes (btw-taxed to the moon, hurting poor people in the wallet).
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#7 Jan 24, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen any quotes from Bryant as you suggest. Maybe you can cite some.
Who, now, can claim being "forced into motherhood"? Birth control is ubiquitous. Easier to buy than cigarettes (btw-taxed to the moon, hurting poor people in the wallet).
Trying to go back and re-write laws to restrict a woman's right to choose for herself is a devious attempt to try to force motherhood on her. People screw up and make mistakes and it's not up to me,you,or Phil Bryant to sit in judgement over another person. Roe V Wade was necessitated to eliminate the hodgepodge of town to town,county to county,state to state restrictions and variations determined by politicians,not the people involved.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#8 Jan 25, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Trying to go back and re-write laws to restrict a woman's right to choose for herself is a devious attempt to try to force motherhood on her. People screw up and make mistakes and it's not up to me,you,or Phil Bryant to sit in judgement over another person. Roe V Wade was necessitated to eliminate the hodgepodge of town to town,county to county,state to state restrictions and variations determined by politicians,not the people involved.
Laws are passed all the time modifying people's behavior.
RvW didn't standardize abortion law across states (obviously-see the article)-it just decriminalized abortion.
Ocean56

AOL

#9 Jan 25, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
It's an attempt to put greater control on poor people. Women of means can travel to another state where they can get a safe legal clinical termination but the poor women will either be forced into motherhood or resort to back alley clinics,or kitchen table procedures as in the past. Mr Bryant believes in the old saying "keep 'em dumb,barefoot,and pregnant and they will be easier to control" attitude.
Agreed. I have no doubt whatsoever that if Bryant could get away with it, he'd try to outlaw all forms of RELIABLE contraception too.

It's scary that in the 21st century there are still guys like Bryant who can't stand the idea of WOMEN making sexual and reproductive choices without a man's permission. Thank goodness I DON'T live in Mississippi.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#10 Jan 25, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I have no doubt whatsoever that if Bryant could get away with it, he'd try to outlaw all forms of RELIABLE contraception too.
It's scary that in the 21st century there are still guys like Bryant who can't stand the idea of WOMEN making sexual and reproductive choices without a man's permission. Thank goodness I DON'T live in Mississippi.
He hasn't suggested it.

Before you jump on the Sisters of Sappho bandwagon with Morgana, recall that the 1973 SCOTUS was an all-male assebly.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
He hasn't suggested it.
Before you jump on the Sisters of Sappho bandwagon with Morgana, recall that the 1973 SCOTUS was an all-male assebly.
.....And your point?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#12 Jan 25, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>.....And your point?
The shopworn "mean old MAN" canard is a pretty tired argument.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#13 Jan 25, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The shopworn "mean old MAN" canard is a pretty tired argument.
And exactly what would you call someone trying to turn back the hands of time to their ideas of "good ole days" where women were second class citizens and laws were made up for and against them by fat cigar chomping, biggoted,male chauvinistic toads. People fail to see that time has marched on with some being left behind.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#14 Jan 25, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>And exactly what would you call someone trying to turn back the hands of time to their ideas of "good ole days" where women were second class citizens and laws were made up for and against them by fat cigar chomping, biggoted,male chauvinistic toads. People fail to see that time has marched on with some being left behind.
I'd call that argument "hyperbole" in place of logic.

It assumes that only men would agree with the proposal.

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#15 Jan 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What objective medical standard would it be to enter a catholic hospital or catholic doctor with an ectopic pregnancy and not be allowed Methotrexate usually the first treatment choice for ending an early ectopic pregnancy only to be told the "better and godly" method would be to slice and dice the female fallopian tube that contains the ectopic pregnancy to reach the same end??

Seriously Dan, lets discuss objective medical standards....lets do!

Minneapolis

#16 Jan 26, 2013
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>And exactly what would you call someone trying to turn back the hands of time to their ideas of "good ole days" where women were second class citizens and laws were made up for and against them by fat cigar chomping, biggoted,male chauvinistic toads. People fail to see that time has marched on with some being left behind.
"fat cigar chomping, biggoted,male chauvinistic toads"

LOL!!! I could not have said it better myself...thank you!!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#17 Jan 26, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
<quoted text>
What objective medical standard would it be to enter a catholic hospital or catholic doctor with an ectopic pregnancy and not be allowed Methotrexate usually the first treatment choice for ending an early ectopic pregnancy only to be told the "better and godly" method would be to slice and dice the female fallopian tube that contains the ectopic pregnancy to reach the same end??
Seriously Dan, lets discuss objective medical standards....lets do!
Who's talking about that? I'm not.

I was referencing the actual article. Have you read it?

The proposal appears to make a fetal heartbeat the initial standard.

Minneapolis

#18 Jan 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's talking about that? I'm not.
I was referencing the actual article. Have you read it?
The proposal appears to make a fetal heartbeat the initial standard.
You are Dan and I quote:

"Agree or not with the proposal, but he's proposing the action based at least on an objective medical standard."

Now that objective medical standard is the issue, how can CC hospitals/doctors operate outside of it claiming religious "beliefs"???

Now let the dancing begin...whoops it already has!!!
Ocean56

AOL

#19 Jan 27, 2013
Dan wrote:
I'd call that argument "hyperbole" in place of logic. It assumes that only men would agree with the proposal.
It is true that there are stupid, anti-choice WOMEN in politics as well. Like that idiot in New Mexico who introduced a bill that would criminalize abortion in the case of rape because it was "tampering with evidence of a crime" or something equally insane.

Then again, during the struggle for women's rights in the 19th century, there were stupid women who OPPOSED women getting the right to vote. Unfortunately, anti-choice stupidity crosses both genders.

Minneapolis

#20 Jan 27, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, during the struggle for women's rights in the 19th century, there were stupid women who OPPOSED women getting the right to vote. Unfortunately, anti-choice stupidity crosses both genders.
Yeah, like Phyllis Schlafly the flaming hypocrite and Ann Coulter who believes women should lose the right to vote, which leads me to believe a close inspection of what actually is between her legs should take place by a trained physician.:O)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Jackson Lease Sales & Rentals (Jun '11) 6 hr Larry 12
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Bently 19,559
Bryant protests immigrant children being housed... Dec 19 Creekman 27
Tea party leader arrested in Miss. Senate race ... Dec 17 Swedenforever 53
shawshank redemption Dec 15 observer 1
Total Transportation a TOTAL POS Company Dec 14 Ex driver 10
Daniel Bolles (May '14) Dec 13 scammed 4
Jackson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Jackson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Jackson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Jackson

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:47 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:47PM
Falcons eliminate Saints 30-14, setting up Panthers showdown
ESPN 3:24 PM
Falcons WRs to CB Lewis: Back up trash talk
Bleacher Report 3:29 PM
Saints' Disastrous Season Ends in Fitting Fashion
Bleacher Report 3:58 PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?
Bleacher Report 4:04 PM
Highlights, Recap for Pats vs. Jets