'Big Red' bio hard to find, out of print

Full story: The Clarion-Ledger

Q: Dear Jack Sunn, at one time I remember reading a book about Red Hydrick and the Gold Coast in Rankin County.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
D L Herron

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2007

There has actually been some talk of a movie. I hope to hear more.
Ken Flessas

Murrysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2007

I have a copy of "Big Red". What do you want it for? Or what do you need to know out of it?
Big Red was my Uncle.
Flesss is my adopted name from my stepfather,
Hydrick is my birth family name. I am the son of XL or "Little Red" Hydrick by his first wife, Doris.
Ken Flessas

Murrysville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2007

I forgot to provide my email address:
kflessas@aol.com
Allen Peacock

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2009

Ken Flessas wrote:
I have a copy of "Big Red". What do you want it for? Or what do you need to know out of it?
Big Red was my Uncle.
Flesss is my adopted name from my stepfather,
Hydrick is my birth family name. I am the son of XL or "Little Red" Hydrick by his first wife, Doris.
XL (Excel)(Little Red), your father, was some kind of character; had the greatest sense of humor of almost anyone I've ever met. I worked for 'Lil Red' once and of course, no one's gonna remember this but my Uncle owned/operated the gas station at the intersection of old 49 and old Brandon rd (old 80) highways and he gave me permission to build a 'firecracker' stand on the N. side of the building which had living quarters in the back of the gas station. I had no resources to stock the 'stand' but lil Red came to the rescue. When the stock came in he came to check it out and reached over the make-shift counter and picked up a box of 'torpedoes' and for those who don't know what a 'torpedoe' was, it was a firecracker, round about the size of a quarter, but perfectly round and if you threw the ball against the ground or floor or street or sidewalk, it would burst as a bomb or firecracker. Lil Redd threw the entire box of 'torpedoe's' back to me which I immediately knew that I had to catch it because if the box hit the concrete driveway floor of the stand we all would be blown to smithereens. Needless to say, as a 10-12 year old kid, I was scared to death and just as soon as I could get out of the 'firecracker business' I would never be in partners with lil Redd again. I wish I knew the truth about another story about Lil Redd when he brought 'Bo', a young black kid, from Vicksburg and had him living in the bootleg warehouse as a 'watchdog' and eventually went on to serve a career in the U.S. Navy and retired in San Diego.
Steven Murphy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2009

I dont suppose you remember anyone by the name of Buster Jones? He was my great grandfather, and I'm trying to figure out some of the stuff that went on back when.
ada downing toney

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

my mother BOBBIE DOWNING was married TWICE to xl hydrick. she raised me as her daughter, but was actually my grandmother by biological definition. I grew up in the house with Jr.(lil red's son, xl jr). the book IS hard to find. i paid for one on Amazon that never arrived and it was a pretty penny. i have been fortunate enough to come across one locally and have yet to get a moment to read all of it. i have a box full photos from back in the day that i WISH someone would sit down with me so identify who was who and who did what. seems like all these precious people from my family are gona and i have no one left to tell stories to me about back then. i miss my mama every day, as she died in a car wreck 6/4/05. Big Mama, Ada Comfort Hawthorn Muse, was a very dear part of my life as well and my aunt and uncle, Corine and Ralph Wilson. I have old bootlegging whiskey artifacts and such but alot was lost due to thieves when my parents old house was left empty and thugs broke in to it and stole everything down to the refrigerator in 2006. The only surviving family i have that means anything to me is my "aunt" betty jean, actually was mama's neice but I always called her Aunt Betty jean. she too is here in rankin county near by. if anyone wants to reply to me or share stories, my email address is vood00child@yahoo.com ... 00 are zeros the rest is alpha...
ada downing toney

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

this thing posted me as atlanta ga?? i am Pearl, MS.. and PLEASE, overlook the type-o's.. and grammatical errors.. i have a dog or TWO in my lap typing for me...

“Mama, I miss you every second!”

Since: Jul 09

Pearl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

alan johnson came by and talked to mama years ago. he was a producer with 20th century fox. he looked at some pics she had and got some stories form her.

“Mama, I miss you every second!”

Since: Jul 09

Pearl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

how do i change my location on my profile? i am Pearl, MS not Atlanta GA!
Maria R Bradshaw

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

Well actually now I'm a Jones, but Big Red was my great grandfather on my fathers side. I have the book my grandmother wrote. It was actually given to me as a gift from my stepmother. Its one of the very first to come off the press. My grandfather, Carlton, gave it to my stepmother and she gave it to me very recently. Do any of you happen to have family tree information starting with Carlton or Willie Mae? I have been working on this for sometime, and the book gives some information but not too much. Thanks for any help. My email is mrs.renee.jones@gmail.com
ada

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2009

i wish i had LISTENED instead of being a teenager and young college girl consumed with myself.. mama talked about willie mae and we had letters where mama kept in touch with EVERYONE.. she even had me looking for family members all the time. one day i will dig thru these old pics and letters. SO MUCH was lost from theives who broke into the old house i grew up in, After mama died in her car wreck 6/4/05 that house was ravished by crackheads and even inhabited by some thugs ... so many letters, pictures, artifacts were stolen, lost destroyed, whatever those pieces of crap did to the stuff... i will keep posted when i learn of new names, etc...
Jerri

Hazlehurst, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2009

I am also doing family research and would like a copy of the book. Does anyone have any idea where I might could find a copy of the book BIG RED?
ada downing toney

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2009

amazon had ONE
ada downing toney

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2009

jaerry,are you a family member? relative?
ada downing toney

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2009

i meant, Jerri... typing with dogs in my lap.. sorry
D L Herron

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

I have several copies of the book my grandma Willie Mae wrote. Mama got them for me. She was married to Clay who was my biological father. Most of the copies of the book were destroyed when Clay accidently set fire to papaw Dan's home. Mama has paid a lot of money to get the four or five copies we have. Hope Nicholson wouldn't even sell us a copy. She claims to have rights to the book, but that will have to be decided if a movie deal ever comes out of it or if we decide to put the book back into print.Papaw Dan left Willie Mae's rights to me and my sister. Perhaps one day there will be a second edition.
Allen Peacock wrote:
<quoted text>XL (Excel)(Little Red), your father, was some kind of character; had the greatest sense of humor of almost anyone I've ever met. I worked for 'Lil Red' once and of course, no one's gonna remember this but my Uncle owned/operated the gas station at the intersection of old 49 and old Brandon rd (old 80) highways and he gave me permission to build a 'firecracker' stand on the N. side of the building which had living quarters in the back of the gas station. I had no resources to stock the 'stand' but lil Red came to the rescue. When the stock came in he came to check it out and reached over the make-shift counter and picked up a box of 'torpedoes' and for those who don't know what a 'torpedoe' was, it was a firecracker, round about the size of a quarter, but perfectly round and if you threw the ball against the ground or floor or street or sidewalk, it would burst as a bomb or firecracker. Lil Redd threw the entire box of 'torpedoe's' back to me which I immediately knew that I had to catch it because if the box hit the concrete driveway floor of the stand we all would be blown to smithereens. Needless to say, as a 10-12 year old kid, I was scared to death and just as soon as I could get out of the 'firecracker business' I would never be in partners with lil Redd again. I wish I knew the truth about another story about Lil Redd when he brought 'Bo', a young black kid, from Vicksburg and had him living in the bootleg warehouse as a 'watchdog' and eventually went on to serve a career in the U.S. Navy and retired in San Diego.
D L Herron

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

I'm in Mississippi, not Il.
Ada

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2009

I have old pics in boxes of all these folks handed down from Mama. I had success locating the book on Amazon but the delivery receipt showed the book delivered at the PO BOX yet i never got it. I noticed on a local library search engine that several libraries do have this according to online data..
Allen Peacock

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2009

I lived in the area of the 'Rankin Coun "Gold Coast- the Pike" so I knew about the area. Buster Jones' son- urner Albert Jones lives today in Stewart, MS. Some distant relative of mine but I could never understand nor explain how. Email is ap122834@verizon.net or k5ap@arrl.net.
ada downing toney wrote:
my mother BOBBIE DOWNING was married TWICE to xl hydrick. she raised me as her daughter, but was actually my grandmother by biological definition. I grew up in the house with Jr.(lil red's son, xl jr). the book IS hard to find. i paid for one on Amazon that never arrived and it was a pretty penny. i have been fortunate enough to come across one locally and have yet to get a moment to read all of it. i have a box full photos from back in the day that i WISH someone would sit down with me so identify who was who and who did what. seems like all these precious people from my family are gona and i have no one left to tell stories to me about back then. i miss my mama every day, as she died in a car wreck 6/4/05. Big Mama, Ada Comfort Hawthorn Muse, was a very dear part of my life as well and my aunt and uncle, Corine and Ralph Wilson. I have old bootlegging whiskey artifacts and such but alot was lost due to thieves when my parents old house was left empty and thugs broke in to it and stole everything down to the refrigerator in 2006. The only surviving family i have that means anything to me is my "aunt" betty jean, actually was mama's neice but I always called her Aunt Betty jean. she too is here in rankin county near by. if anyone wants to reply to me or share stories, my email address is vood00child@yahoo.com ... 00 are zeros the rest is alpha...
Rick Neely

Brandon, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2009

I am also related to Red Hydrick I live in Pearl I am a native of Simpson & Rankin County. My father is an amateur family historian, and he found an old article detailing the story of "THE GOLD COAST". I will try to scan it and post the text here when i get it.
Rick

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Jackson Forum right now

Search the Jackson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Samuel 17,750
Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 6 hr the dark lord 1,932
Review: 2much Modelz LLC (May '13) Fri Erica Norton 2
Debate: Marijuana - Jackson, MS (Aug '10) Thu Zebo 228
Blacks losing jobs to Mexicans Thu ill 29
10 (5) Reasons 'Dance Moms' Fans Should Watch '... Wed dmw 2
Truth or Rumor: Bishop Keith Butler (Jan '08) Apr 16 ChurchMercyOnCunningham 921
•••

Flood Warning for Hinds County was issued at April 19 at 9:55AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Jackson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE