Film explores African-Americans' unhealthy "soul food" habit

Dec 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

After interviewing food historians, scholars, cooks, doctors, activists and consumers for his new film "Soul Food Junkies," filmmaker Byron Hurt concluded that an addiction to soul food is killing African-Americans at an alarming rate.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Dec 29, 2012
UNCLE BEN

Pikesville, MD

#1 Dec 27, 2012
AA dont care. They ain't gonna become vegans anytime soon.

Gots to have my pork!

Extra bacon & extra butter on my bacon sandwich.
Can you fry it in lard?

“I'm a proud grandma”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#2 Dec 27, 2012
Blacks rarely use lard. I can not recall either of my grandmothers using lard instead of shortening or oil. No lard bricks at our house.

Quite a few Blacks have given up cooking with pork, and use smoked turkey to season the beans and vegetables.
Exit Stage Left

Ballwin, MO

#3 Dec 27, 2012
Ms Mack wrote:
Blacks rarely use lard. I can not recall either of my grandmothers using lard instead of shortening or oil. No lard bricks at our house.
Quite a few Blacks have given up cooking with pork, and use smoked turkey to season the beans and vegetables.
Then why do so many black women have lard asses?
Sunshine

Freeport, NY

#5 Dec 28, 2012
I'm not going to lie, the food mentioned in the article made my mouth water. Our ancestors didn't become obese like what we see today, only because Our ppl worked all day long that it burnt off all those unwanted pounds. no wonder.....
Roofis wit da gold toofis

Lakeland, FL

#6 Dec 28, 2012
Exit Stage Left wrote:
<quoted text> Then why do so many black women have lard asses?
Roflmao!!!! That was funny. Das raht
Sunshine

Freeport, NY

#8 Dec 29, 2012
Jumper wrote:
Now before we all turn this subject into another racist name calling free for all we must remember that the noble Black African ate a lot of starchy foods out there in the jungels and planes of the bush country.Like monkey meat and bannanas,nuts and,plants;stuff natual to them so they could fight off lions and baboons and such.
All the fatty foods were introduced to them by us well meaning white folks.
Their bodies just couldn't process all the greese and sugars that made white folks taller and smarter...well...and white.
I can't speak for every white person but,I'm sorry my people turned you guys into mutants.
Don't worry, the Summer is coming and let's just hope its a heat wave. Burn Baby Burn ! Fire, fire! skin peeling. Lobster Redness, Scabs and puss forming,skin bubbling, Oh My.
We will see who the real mutant is.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Study vs Pain 5 hr connie_white 5
Truth or Rumor: Bishop Keith Butler (Jan '08) 16 hr Yes to Body CAMERAS 1,054
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 16 hr see the light 18,888
roads 23 hr bidnessman 1
Witness: Beaten man told eatery 'not safe for w... Sat mentul_autocrat 6
Suspect leads investigators to bodies of missin... (Nov '13) Aug 29 curious 2
Recent PCA Boiler Accident... Aug 29 Concerned Citizen 1
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Jackson People Search