2 ex-troopers say Mississippi Highway Patrol head is biased aga...

Full story: WREG

Two men fired as state troopers last year say they think the head of the Mississippi Highway Patrol has taken revenge on them and other blacks who complain about patrol operations.
Comments
1 - 20 of 25 Comments Last updated Apr 24, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Johnny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

Will the black cops ever stop screaming discrimination?

Demographics

Male: 98%
Female: 2%
White: 69%
African-American/Black: 31%

The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol has the highest percentage of African American officers of any State Police Agency in the United States.

Mississippi Population

White 60.6%
Black 37.2%
Memphis Jigg aboo

Olive Branch, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

All we wants is more bruddas gittin govt. money!
suzie q

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

Memphis Jigg aboo wrote:
Come on dude get with the facts.
suzie q

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

Michael Mcfield and Jerry Merrill are typical negros who have a beef with caucasian orders and following orders of the command . Both must be in their 30's and don't remember the hiring of blacks over whites in the 70's. eeoc found that mhp is biased over blacks.
How can this be? every time I get stopped by an illegal road block on hwy 49, all I am questioned by are negro patrolman. Where are the white patrolman?
Johnny

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

suzie q wrote:
Michael Mcfield and Jerry Merrill are typical negros who have a beef with caucasian orders and following orders of the command . Both must be in their 30's and don't remember the hiring of blacks over whites in the 70's. eeoc found that mhp is biased over blacks.
How can this be? every time I get stopped by an illegal road block on hwy 49, all I am questioned by are negro patrolman. Where are the white patrolman?
I drove from Memphis to Tunica, five to seven days a week for five years, and all I ever saw were black Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Studmonkey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2010

Judged:

Just playing the race card for all it's worth, Again!
tomt

Madison, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

Johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
I drove from Memphis to Tunica, five to seven days a week for five years, and all I ever saw were black Mississippi Highway Patrol.
Well dat's all i ever see on ms. hiways
gmoney

Ridgeland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

Judged:

jerry merrill tells folks he was fired over a "discrepancy on an arrest". what he may not tell you is that he is also currently facing a class action lawsuit for civil rights violations. plus it would be very interesting to see posts here from any area woman that has had any personal encounters with him. i've heard from several in person, but it would be good to have them post their own story. anyone here been stopped by jerry merrill and experience anything out of the ordinary? how about anytime he was in uniform?

and i know that when a formal complaint is filed that there are two in charge that will take the complaint – one is white and one is black. i can’t see how there is any racial discrimination within that organization from what i have seen because of the policies and procedures that have been implemented in the past. the review process involves many levels and would weed any racism right out of decisions made by any so called single racist.
gmoney

Ridgeland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2010

Judged:

if one was considering filing a formal complaint on jerry merrill, i think now is as good of time as any. why not now?! the situation is ripe, and now is the time for your complaint to be taken seriously and for it to be effective. if you have had a run-in with jerry merrill in the past, do you really want to run into this guy again if he gets his badge back? do you really want to run the risk of having a loved one encounter him too?

this is not a black/white thing, this is a right/wrong thing. i’m very sure the people in charge will be very interested in hearing what you have to say. you have to send it in writing before it becomes official, but begin the process by simply picking up your phone and begin lodging your complaint. tell your story, tell what happened to you. phone numbers addresses and emails are listed below.

i can’t speak for the other guy, but i have had personal dealings with jerry merrill and he scares me.

col. mike berthay, director, MHP
representing: mississippi highway safety patrol
post office box 958
jackson, ms 3 9 2 0 5
phone:(6 01) 9 87 – 15 00; fax:(6 01) 9 87 – 14 98
e mail: mberthay @ mdps.state.ms.us

steve b. simpson, public safety commissioner
post office box 958
jackson, ms 3 9 2 0 5
phone:(6 01) 9 87 – 14 90
e mail: commissioner @ mdps.state.ms.us

(substitute tt’s where the XX’s are) >>> h XX p://www.topix.com/city/laurel- ms/2010/03/former-mhp-trooper- from-laurel-claims-bias#lastPo st
american

Hernando, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

Fire all black one and end the problem.
Dan

Fort Smith, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Memphis Jigg aboo wrote:
LMAOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo o
Frank

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAburni...

Excerpt: "In 1964 the Congress on Racial Equality (CORE), Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and the the National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP) organised its Freedom Summer campaign. Its main objective was to try an end the political disenfranchisement of African Americans in the Deep South. Volunteers from the three organizations decided to concentrate its efforts in Mississippi. In 1962 only 6.7 per cent of African Americans in the state were registered to vote, the lowest percentage in the country.

CORE, SNCC and NAACP also established 30 Freedom Schools in towns throughout Mississippi. Volunteers taught in the schools and the curriculum now included black history, the philosophy of the civil rights movement. During the summer of 1964 over 3,000 students attended these schools and the experiment provided a model for future educational programs such as Head Start.

Freedom Schools were often targets of white mobs. So also were the homes of local African Americans involved in the campaign. That summer 30 black homes and 37 black churches were firebombed.

On 21st June, 1964 James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner, went to Longdale to visit Mt. Zion Methodist Church, a building that had been fire-bombed by the Ku Klux Klan because it was going to be used as a Freedom School.

On the way back to the CORE office in Meridian, the three men were arrested by Deputy Sheriff Cecil Price. Later that evening they were released from the Neshoba jail only to be stopped again on a rural road where a white mob shot them dead and buried them in a earthen dam.

When Attorney General Robert Kennedy heard that the men were missing, he arranged for Joseph Sullivan of the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) to go to Mississippi to discover what has happened. On 4th August, 1964, FBI agents found the bodies in an earthen dam at Old Jolly Farm.

On 13th October, Ku Klux Klan member, James Jordon, confessed to FBI agents that he witnessed the murders and agreed to co-operate with the investigation. Aware that it would be impossible to persuade a white Mississippi jury to convict the murderers, the government decided to arrange for nineteen of the men to be charged under an 1870 federal law of conspiring to deprive Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner and James Chaney of their civil rights. This included Sheriff Lawrence Rainey and Deputy Sheriff Cecil Price."
----------

"....Aware that it would be impossible to persuade a white Mississippi jury to convict the murderers, the government decided to arrange for nineteen of the men to be charged under an 1870 federal law of conspiring to deprive Andrew Goodman, Michael Schwerner and James Chaney of their civil rights. This included Sheriff Lawrence Rainey and Deputy Sheriff Cecil Price."

Racist WHITE DEVILS such as those, should NEVER be cops!
Charles

Covington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

New Flash! Blacks are always going to piss and moan about something.
gmoney

Ridgeland, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

@ frank from detroit – a post about mississippi in 1964!
this is mississppi 2010 and i'm not sure what your post has to do with this bad cop.
wow, like we need another lecture about the woes of mississippi from someone who probably only knows about mississippi from wikipedia. or maybe just the movie “mississippi burning”. got another one for you to watch “ghosts of mississippi”.
that should get you current on our state.

dude!, that incident happened almost half a century ago! 46 years!
times have changed!

1964 - 3 civil rights activists, one black – two white, get detained by white cops in mississippi, have their rights violated and pay the ultimate price. i guess you could call that white on black crime, but only one was black.

fast forward 46 years – things in mississippi are a little bit different. not much, but a little bit different.

2009 - 3 white civil rights activists get detained by a black and a white cop, have their civil rights violated, one civilian is maced, choked, all are arrested on “trumped up” charges.

at least these cop jokers didn’t bury these activists in a local dam – see, we are making progress!

http://motorhomediaries.com/jones-county-sher...

civil rights violations are still alive and well in mississippi, but i know for a fact, it’s not limited to color.

so at least in this forum in 2010, we’ve got a couple of current examples of civil rights violations from the same area of mississippi, and both happen to be black cop on white civilian.
1. an alleged “rogue” black cop jerry merrill being sued for allegedly violating the civil rights of a white man (and others) as well as facing a litany of other charges.
2. deputy atkins and deputy carrol “bulldog” windam with roughing up the MHD3 ( motorhomediaries.com guys)

detroit frank earlier said:
“racist WHITE DEVILS such as those, should NEVER be cops!”
dude, it’s 2010. racism goes both ways. so are you against racism or just white people?
if you are against racism, then i expect you to stand against it no matter what the color.
now that i’ve updated you and given you this new information, will you still decry racism or are you only against one type of racism?

how about we just change your statement to just:
“cops should never be racist”. or better yet, no one should be racist.
i could agree with that.
KING

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

This just goes to show you how behind in times this sad racist state is. The fact of this matter involving the MHP has to do with this agencies leader,Col bethay, the racist. You people down here just dont realize how backwards and behind times you all really are! Most of you people have never even been out of this horrible state. Maybe you all should open your eyes to the rest of America! Its more to this country than this sad, poor, hot, dumb state! What you people dont realize, is most Americans think most of you all down there are backwards, Racist, poor, relative marrying biggots! And let me tell you prove it to the rest of America and the world everytime something like this happens! And you all wonder why we dont care about the oil off your coast and why some of us didnt care about the aftermath of Katrina as well! You Mississippians are so STUPID!
KING

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Thank GOD im only here for work! Cant wait to leave. This is by far the most backwards state in the union! Maybe Lincoln should have let you all leave the union during the Civil War. It wouldnt bother most of us in America anyway, what is this state good for anyway? Wait, I know what you all are good for........inbreeding biggots!
KING

Jackson, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Did we all forget the MHP and the local sheriff were apart of the cover up of many civil rights crimes during the 60's? I am pretty sure some troopers that were apart of this dept then are still there now........just like your head biggot,Col. Racist Bethay!
Jermaine Malik Floyd

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Thats what they get - chicken came home to roost. Those ex troopers have seen members of the majority group and assimilating troopers from our ethnicity violated individuals on the regualar. They chosed to remain silent and now that they have been terminated; they are looking for sympathy. I have no for sympathy for cowards.
Big Boy

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2010

Judged:

If them dam boys had kept their ass up north & minded their own dam buisness, all that shit wouldn't have happened. And the blacks stayed in their dam place, & kept their mouth shut.
gogo

Mclean, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2010

KING wrote:
Did we all forget the MHP and the local sheriff were apart of the cover up of many civil rights crimes during the 60's? I am pretty sure some troopers that were apart of this dept then are still there now........just like your head biggot,Col. Racist Bethay!
Get out of the past and get on with your racist shallow life!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Jackson Forum right now

Search the Jackson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Samuel 18,546
Truth or Rumor: Bishop Keith Butler (Jan '08) 17 hr www linkedupchurch com 1,011
Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 22 hr OS Resident 1,964
Looking for information.. Jul 22 stephanie 1
Elicia Hughes Murder Trial - Testimony Begins (Jan '08) Jul 21 Von M 134
Jackson and Surrounding Area Neighborhoods Jul 21 MDR78 1
vacation blah Jul 21 jackson crime 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Jackson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••